Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Im broke as poo poo right now. I cant afford to get a streaming service like Hulu or Netflix, and frankly, broadcast tv is fine for me. I got a budget of about 30$ to work with, can you recommend me an internal TV tuner card or usb device that would turn my computer into a tv so i can watch the free poo poo broadcast locally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

That's not much of a budget, but eBay has your back.

*Not an endorsement of that particular tuner stick, its included software, or the seller.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Thanks for that!

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I got a WinTV-HVR-950Q off eBay for pretty cheaply (I think under $20), I'm pretty happy with it.

You'll probably have to spend $30 or so for an antenna though, if you don't already have one. I think it comes with one, but it's kind of a joke.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

There are all sorts of DIY antenna plans out there to fit every budget, gain requirement, and skill level. Here's a video showing how to make a high gain TV antenna out of coat hangers and a piece of wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

mystes
May 31, 2006

winterwerefox posted:

Im broke as poo poo right now. I cant afford to get a streaming service like Hulu or Netflix, and frankly, broadcast tv is fine for me. I got a budget of about 30$ to work with, can you recommend me an internal TV tuner card or usb device that would turn my computer into a tv so i can watch the free poo poo broadcast locally?
A tuner card may be more convenient depending on your setup, but FYI if you have a spare monitor lying around, another option is to just use some sort of tuner box (you can get ones that can also record onto a usb stick pretty cheap off of amazon). Even if you don't have HDMI in on your monitor, you can just use an HDMI to DVI adapter.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Jeez I was expecting to pay $45-65 for my next USB TV Stick. I'm going to give that off-brand ebay stick a try. Thanks!

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Netflix is 8 dollars a month. Youd put up with broadcast TV for 4 months to break even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The XKCD Larper posted:

Netflix is 8 dollars a month. Youd put up with broadcast TV for 4 months to break even?

Can't watch live TV on Netflix. Plus if you're on a 7.99 you're subjecting yourself to a life without HD

• Locked thread