Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ilkhan posted:

Econ 101 doesn't work
- goons

Let's go bring in additional supplies!
-also goons

We'll donate funds, time, and supplies.
-normal people

You missed the point, they are donating the supplies, not selling them. Its called contributing to society, you should try it sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

rdb posted:

You missed the point, they are donating the supplies, not selling them. Its called contributing to society, you should try it sometime.
I understood his point. It's still private entities adding supplies to the disaster zone (a good thing).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

I understood his point. It's still private entities adding supplies to the disaster zone (a good thing).

By literally gouging and loving desperate and, in many cases, now homeless and asset-less people.

A national catastrophe is NOT a business opportunity and any sentiment to the contrary needs to be squelched right the gently caress now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Huh. Amazingly, that ticket about hard drive full I got yesterday wasn't a complete failure to delete stuff on the user's part, though there still may be some user error in there. IE was failing to manage the Temporary Internet files folder properly, and it had 30 GB of crap in it. What's weird is that a large part of said crap were MP4 movie rips that the user had loaded, watched, then deleted. What they were doing in Temp Internet Files I have no idea. She's not knowledgeable enough to have put them there on purpose, given how buried the folder is.
Again, thanks for the reminder of WinDirStat. It helped me locate and nuke those files in about 5 minutes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

Friday:
Me: I'd like a trial separation.
Wife: I want full custody of our son.
Counselor: why don't you wait it out and see how you really feel?

Saturday:
Wife: *forgets to set the brake on the stroller and drops our 11 month old son on the loving concrete driveway and gives him a loving concussion*
Me: *pretty clear how I feel*

This is terrible. Best of luck dealing with this.

ilkhan posted:

Econ 101 doesn't work
- goons

-also goons

-normal people

This is also pretty terrible.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I drink Amsterdam because it's $16 for a 1.5L bottle and isn't bathtub gin

When I'm feeling spendy I like the Bombay Sapphire, which I don't think is very londony compared to beefeater or whatever that brand is

Juniper is v good tho

Bombay Sapphire is generic, get some Hendricks or to a lesser extent, Botanist or Slingsby. Gin is the latest 'craze' in booze, it seems we're over artisanal beers for the moment which is nice but I loving hate gin so it's lose lose for me. Despite the fact I dislike gin so intensely, Hendricks is noice.

I await the inevitable hot chocolate craze because I am lame and it's going to get cold soon and it seems very few places make an actual slamming hot chocolate like they can on the continent. Give me actual chocolate in my hot chocolate please you cunts.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ilkhan posted:

Econ 101 doesn't work
- goons

-also goons

-normal people

Goons and other cool people are doing it out of, you know, basic human decency. This shitstain was arguing that charging $100 for a bottle of water in a disaster area is cool and good, because it's profit, and profit is actually the only motivator in an economy.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

ugh, this is awful and i'm sorry to hear you're going through this

why does your wife want full custody?

Spiteful and doesn't want to work? Who even knows.

blk - drat man. That is seriously messed up. Fortunately these days it is extremely uncommon for men to be unceremoniously cut off from custody while paying child support etc. Here in Utah there is a pretty high amount of divorce because there is a high amount of marriages. Most people I know get split custody pretty much standard these days. A loveless marriage sounds horrific.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

They're not doing it because people are price gouging. They're doing it because they feel it's the right thing to do.

If the same limited supply scenario existed without the price gouging, they'd still be donating stuff.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

Friday:
Me: I'd like a trial separation.
Wife: I want full custody of our son.
Counselor: why don't you wait it out and see how you really feel?

Saturday:
Wife: *forgets to set the brake on the stroller and drops our 11 month old son on the loving concrete driveway and gives him a loving concussion*
Me: *pretty clear how I feel*

Lawyer up. If she wants to play hardball beat her to the field. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

How's blk jr healing up?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Bombay Sapphire is generic, get some Hendricks or to a lesser extent, Botanist or Slingsby. Gin is the latest 'craze' in booze, it seems we're over artisanal beers for the moment which is nice but I loving hate gin so it's lose lose for me. Despite the fact I dislike gin so intensely, Hendricks is noice.

I await the inevitable hot chocolate craze because I am lame and it's going to get cold soon and it seems very few places make an actual slamming hot chocolate like they can on the continent. Give me actual chocolate in my hot chocolate please you cunts.

My brother convinced his local that the gin craze would vanish quickly but whisky never goes out of style. It worked, they have a great selection.

Hendricks is an oddity, I've not made my mind up about it, but I only like gin a little so it's not a priority. Picking up another bottle of whisky is as I'd like a choice, nice though this jura is.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

My brother convinced his local that the gin craze would vanish quickly but whisky never goes out of style. It worked, they have a great selection.

Hendricks is an oddity, I've not made my mind up about it, but I only like gin a little so it's not a priority. Picking up another bottle of whisky is as I'd like a choice, nice though this jura is.

Yamazaki 12yr is a good one that my friends and I like quite a bit, the last place I got some was Tesco. In other boozenewz I was out a week or so ago and my lady was getting the round in, I asked for a shot of Suntory Hibiki because I'd never tried it and she returned from the bar looking confused as to why the round cost so much. Turns out The Victoria in Birmingham charges £14 a go on Hibiki... :blush: it was lovely though, far too easy to drink. I'd be broke and wasted in no time on that outside of the fact it was £14 a shot :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Arguing about the finer merits of capitalism and poo poo is dangerously close to politics.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Some of us live on the edge.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
One guy here has a terrible opinion about everything and we have to stop talking about all the grown up topics that grown ups can talk about reasonably and rationally and always have in this forum?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Been fuckin with my air compressor and I've run aground on the shore of electric and torque maths.

Got this puppy a while back (May of last year) and been having a few itty bitty problems:
  • Pressure switch says it'll do max of 100PSI but when I crank up the "cut out" screw, it'll keep pumpin until I notice it's too high and unplug it. Thinking I should just get a new one from Northern Tool or something but if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears.
  • When the tank is pressured above ~80PSI, the motor (or the compressor) can't do anything. It appears to try and turn over, but it gets stuck
Here's a PDF of the compressor's user manual and here's a close-up of the motor's specs:

Got the whole shebang for $40. Not too shabby, but I really want this thing to keep working for a long time cuz it's pretty badass so I don't mind spending some dough on 'er.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Thats a nice looking compressor. Back when compressor motors were made in the US. Continuous duty cycle as well. Most are "compressor duty" these days.

Is it wired for the correct voltage, are the contacts in the pressure switch contactor ok, is the start/run capacitor in spec, and was it sold with any issues?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

scuz posted:

....if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears.

When at pressure, can you turn the flywheel over by hand? Could the electric motor not have enough rear end anymore to rotate under the increased pressure load?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Forgot about that, maybe the brushes are trashed.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

One guy here has a terrible opinion about everything and we have to stop talking about all the grown up topics that grown ups can talk about reasonably and rationally and always have in this forum?

:ssh: calling out terrible opinions isn't fair and there are many sides to this issue :ssh:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Enourmo posted:

Goons and other cool people are doing it out of, you know, basic human decency. This shitstain was arguing that charging $100 for a bottle of water in a disaster area is cool and good, because it's profit, and profit is actually the only motivator in an economy.
Oh, I still agree the guy price gouging is a poo poo stain. But the response to that poo poo stain was "this guy is price gouging, lets go and help people not get screwed by the price gouger by bringing supplies" instead of "people need help, lets go bring them help". That was what I was pointing at.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Meh. I admit my opinions are different ("terrible") but Adiabatic gets pissed about the tone of the responses, as far as I can tell. I certainly enjoy the debates, most of the time.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 29, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Adiabatic posted:

Arguing about the finer merits of capitalism and poo poo is dangerously close to politics.

capitalism is dead

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I used to hate gin but then I got turned after discovering that I could turn cheap gin into really really tasty stuff by chucking Damsons into it and then leaving it in the cupboard for 6-12 months (In a week or 2 I shall have a shitload of Damsons available if any of the UK crew want to come get em! good crop this year)

Hot chocolate chat - have you had the Hotel Chocolat chilli one? its awesome (its also really expensive but does feature real chocolate). You've got to make it in a pan on the hob using 100% milk. I will probably have one tonight as I'm clearly lame too! :)

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I don't mind a little political chat, it certainly beats speedtest.net chat

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Fairo. both are one and the same to me. :v:. We have planetickets to return to Ukraine in 3 weeks and holyshit the stress is on.

rdb posted:

we pay $2.60ish for 200meg internet in Ukraine that costs us $150 here in the bay area.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Meh. I admit my opinions are different ("terrible") but Adiabatic gets pissed about the tone of the responses, as far as I can tell. I certainly enjoy the debates, most of the time.

Mostly this. It's very difficult to talk about anything politics without people giving drivebys of their opinions and others calling them names and the tone getting nasty real quick. Then I get a bunch of reports about the chat thread yet again devolving into a cesspit of yelling and namecalling.

D&D has a bunch of really good rules they have cultivated over years of trial and error to cut down significantly on this, and they're still the subforum with the most reports.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That being said if you can carry on a conversation and be pleasant about it I don't give a gently caress.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

That being said if you can carry on a conversation and be pleasant about it I don't give a gently caress.

capitalism is dieing and its the internet that's killing it

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

rdb posted:

Thats a nice looking compressor. Back when compressor motors were made in the US. Continuous duty cycle as well. Most are "compressor duty" these days.

Is it wired for the correct voltage, are the contacts in the pressure switch contactor ok, is the start/run capacitor in spec, and was it sold with any issues?
Haven't checked the wiring or any of the switch internals, I'll start there. It wasn't sold with any issues besides a leaky fitting which I've since fixed. Whoever assembled this beast didn't use the correct thread tape, so at least that was pretty simple.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

When at pressure, can you turn the flywheel over by hand? Could the electric motor not have enough rear end anymore to rotate under the increased pressure load?

rdb posted:

Forgot about that, maybe the brushes are trashed.
Yeah, see, I was thinking something along these lines, too. I'll check that poo poo out, thanks dudes! Had no idea where to start with this.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

Mostly this. It's very difficult to talk about anything politics without people giving drivebys of their opinions and others calling them names and the tone getting nasty real quick. Then I get a bunch of reports about the chat thread yet again devolving into a cesspit of yelling and namecalling.

D&D has a bunch of really good rules they have cultivated over years of trial and error to cut down significantly on this, and they're still the subforum with the most reports.

lol who actually reports posts in the chat thread

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

lol who actually reports posts in the chat thread

Reported.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

fridge corn posted:

capitalism is dieing and its the internet that's killing it

I thought it was Millennials. Aren't they responsible for killing everything from golf to casual dining restaurants?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Darchangel posted:

I thought it was Millennials. Aren't they responsible for killing everything from golf to casual dining restaurants?

When in doubt, blame Millennials. It's easier than accepting that perhaps laissez-faire capitalism driving wages ever lower in relation to profit margins for the ultra-rich might possibly be self-destructive.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

When in doubt, blame Millennials. It's easier than accepting that perhaps laissez-faire capitalism driving wages ever lower in relation to profit margins for the ultra-rich might possibly be self-destructive.

Also we eat avocados.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's amazing how many industries we've slain given how snowflakey and inclusive we are. Why is no one checking their privilege and buying diamonds?

ilkhan posted:

Oh, I still agree the guy price gouging is a poo poo stain. But the response to that poo poo stain was "this guy is price gouging, lets go and help people not get screwed by the price gouger by bringing supplies" instead of "people need help, lets go bring them help". That was what I was pointing at.

imo, doing the right thing for the wrong slightly-less-pure-than-Jesus-Himself reasons is still leagues better than doing the wrong thing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

all i know is that im going to keep on pirating TV cuz its actually more convenient than paying for it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I pay for a VPN, and I get every movie and TV show.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Brb, taking a screenshot

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fridge corn posted:

all i know is that im going to keep on pirating TV cuz its actually more convenient than paying for it

Things have gotten better in that regard but some stuff is still impossible to get due to licensing issues worldwide. The internet is a global market you morons, if people want something and you're making it impossible to pay for without some degree of difficulty, how can you complain when they just teef it?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Brb, taking a screenshot

Only mad because i am on 3/1 DSL

• Locked thread