Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
I'm currently on a Crashplan family plan, backing up 4 computers and about 1Tb total. Having looking on Carbonite and Backblaze, am I right in thinking that I'm completely screwed as they don't offer any kind of deal for multiple computers? It certainly seems like I'm going to be paying out of the nose if I have to pay for a separate account for each computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

DJ Burette posted:

I'm currently on a Crashplan family plan, backing up 4 computers and about 1Tb total. Having looking on Carbonite and Backblaze, am I right in thinking that I'm completely screwed as they don't offer any kind of deal for multiple computers? It certainly seems like I'm going to be paying out of the nose if I have to pay for a separate account for each computer.

If those computers are all on the same local network you could have 3 of them backup to the 4th using some local backup software, then only connect the 4th to a cloud service (backing up itself and the backups of the other 3). Might require an initial investment in additional hard disk space so the computer connected to the cloud service has enough space to hold backups for the other 3, but would still be cheaper than paying for additional computers in the long run.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Looks like I'll be rolling my parents over to rsyncing remotely to my NAS, which then gets Duplicati-ed with my stuff over to what appears to be unlimited Google Drive courtesy of education account (alumni) on GApps.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I have tried a bunch of "backup to S3" software but I can't find any that I like.

- Cloud Berry is very good but the GUI is awful - looks like Office 2014 / Windows Vista. Also there's no "send to tray" action that I could find, if you close the GUI then it stops the backup (or you just can't see the progress, I'm not sure). But for $30 it seemed like the best option. I especially liked that you can target local and remote targets in the same backup plan.
- Arq UX is awful and it's $50.
- Duplicati (2.0 beta) had a bunch of bugs, not really a smooth experience
- S3 Backup looked like a good candidate but for some reason it can't authenticate (it can still list my buckets though) because of an issue with the Cipher Suite: https://imgur.com/a/ETgZr

I think now I'll give Jungle Disk a go (but $4/month/user seems too much - I prefer to pay a one-off fee - but if their service is really good I might do it). There's also apparently a CLI Go client that's supposed to be great: https://restic.github.io/ ; but I'll have to check how to create Scheduled Tasks in Windows to run this regularly.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is the free Veeam Windows Backup for Endpoint Agent ok to use or just a bait and switch that will eventually be paid?

It looks nice on paper with features like automatic backup when a USB drive is connected, automatic ejecting after the backup (cryptolocker protection), bare metal restore options, email notifications, etc. I need something that's easy to use for my dad's single-user office and Veeam with two rotated USB drives seems like it'd be pretty hands-off.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I used it but stopped for the simple reason that for backing up 500 GB it required 1TB+ of storage and I didn't have a drive larger than 1TB. I personally don't need versioning of files but even by disabling it it ate too much space. The eject after backup (CryptoLocker protection) was a very neat idea, I found. Thing is it's not able to re-mount the drive automatically though (I guess that's normal, otherwise a malware could do the same I suppose) so if you do that you can't really schedule backups otherwise they'll fail.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Furism posted:

So I have tried a bunch of "backup to S3" software but I can't find any that I like.

Tried rclone? I guess if "has a GUI" is a requirement this is out though.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Splinter posted:

If those computers are all on the same local network you could have 3 of them backup to the 4th using some local backup software, then only connect the 4th to a cloud service (backing up itself and the backups of the other 3). Might require an initial investment in additional hard disk space so the computer connected to the cloud service has enough space to hold backups for the other 3, but would still be cheaper than paying for additional computers in the long run.

Unfortunately they're not all on the same network. I've foolishly been using crash plan family as intended and backing up my family and a couple of friends computers using it, so I guess I'm going to have to hope some solution appears before I have to kick everyone off in a year.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

eames posted:

Is the free Veeam Windows Backup for Endpoint Agent ok to use or just a bait and switch that will eventually be paid?

It looks nice on paper with features like automatic backup when a USB drive is connected, automatic ejecting after the backup (cryptolocker protection), bare metal restore options, email notifications, etc. I need something that's easy to use for my dad's single-user office and Veeam with two rotated USB drives seems like it'd be pretty hands-off.

It works pretty well as long as you have enough NAS storage to deal with having 2-3 copies of all the poo poo you own on your desktop. Save the install files someplace safe, the installer itself defaults to free mode without a dial-home, so it will technically always be free, even if Veeam changes their minds.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Sheep posted:

Tried rclone? I guess if "has a GUI" is a requirement this is out though.

GUI was a requirement mostly for scheduling purposes but I gave up on that. I tried a lot of software and none perform to my expectations (basically CrashPlan was perfect).

Instead I moved to Restic. It's amazing. It's so good I wrote an article about it: https://synsynack.wordpress.com/2017/08/24/restic-is-probably-the-best-backup-solution-for-nerds/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So uh crashplan finally fixes their unsustainable pricing and all the cheapskates bail out? No loss for crashplan, I bet they're happy to get rid of the unprofitable customers.

So one computer is $120/year. How many you have? How many extra hours it takes to earn the difference between what you pay now and how much you need to pay in future?

Then how much of your precious free time you need to waste by researching a different backup plan and migrating to it? Is it worth the price difference, or would you rather spend the time actually enjoying your life and doing something you like? At least I loathe backups and want to spend a minimum amount of my free time with them.

Still, my home plan is good till 30.6.2018 and I can extend it for $30 for one more year. So personally I'm going to do nothing for the next 2 years unless something as good comes around, and with a significantly cheaper price to be worth the hassle.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How does Crashplan compare to using Amazon cloud drive or Google/Microsoft/Dropbox for personal data backup? Trying to figure out what to do with my old photos/documents/etc.

Or are sdcards and thumb drives stable and cheap enough that I just leave a copy there and leave a copy on my pc?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
OneDrive/Dropbox is not really backup. It's synchronization. There are some features close to backup (versioning etc) but it's not proper backup.

CrashPlan is more like backup because you can schedule them, target different locations and, most importantly, will encrypt your data even before it's transferred. This is key when saving into the cloud because "the cloud" is just another person's drive and they can look into it if they so choose (Amazon et al. only swear they'll never do it, it's up to you to decide whether or not you trust them on this). Maybe you simply don't care, that's up to you.

Also, backup software have "restore" capabilities and can backup several locations. Dropbox and OneDrive will sync only whatever you put into their root directory (and I honestly can't understand that, there's no technical reason I can think of for this).

SD Cards, SSDs or Thumb Drive are not reliable at all - quite the contrary. They have a shorter median time to failure but higher performance.

If you want a cheap solution I would suggest this: get an external HDD. Plug it once a month. Use restic or some other software to backup your files to that drive. Once it's done, turn it off and leave it at a friend's or at work (so if you home burns down, you still have your files. Trust me you'll regret it if you don't do it).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Furism posted:

Also, backup software have "restore" capabilities and can backup several locations. Dropbox and OneDrive will sync only whatever you put into their root directory (and I honestly can't understand that, there's no technical reason I can think of for this).

The reason isn't technical. It's money.

If you allow ad hoc selection of directories, you drastically increase the number of files stored in the service.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

ConfusedUs posted:

The reason isn't technical. It's money.

If you allow ad hoc selection of directories, you drastically increase the number of files stored in the service.

Yeah ok, but you get like 10 GB free and when you pay you get 10 TB. Are you saying they put that restriction in place to make it harder for people to use up all of their (free or paid-for) storage space unless they move it to a place potentially inconvenient (the root folder of the application) ?

The only thing it did for me was to stop my Office 365 subscription. I don't know if I'm average but they make less money because of this policy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Furism posted:

OneDrive/Dropbox is not really backup. It's synchronization. There are some features close to backup (versioning etc) but it's not proper backup.

Well, they can be used as backup targets by things like Duplicati; is that what he meant?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Furism posted:

Are you saying they put that restriction in place to make it harder for people to use up all of their (free or paid-for) storage space unless they move it to a place potentially inconvenient (the root folder of the application) ?

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying.

If they give out 10GB free and most people only use 1GB of it, then it costs them less than if the average usage was 9GB.

Same for the 10TB thing. Ten TB is ludicrously high. Only a tiny fraction of potential users are even capable of hitting that amount. It might as well be "unlimited" with a cap to stop that one guy in a million who wants to upload a petabyte.

They budget and set pricing with that knowledge in mind, and they must keep usage below the budgeted level or it is no longer profitable. And you can even use the 10TB feature as a marketing point. "Look at this amazing value! Ten whole terabytes for $x year. No one else offers that!"

If you make it too easy for customers to back up too much data to your "unlimited" (or near equivalent) service, then they will take advantage of it. And if they take too much advantage of it, it's no longer profitable.

I guarantee that's what happened to Crashplan. To much data, not enough revenue, and they couldn't price themselves higher in the consumer space without losing to their cheaper alternatives.

Their "exit" is essentially them dumping everyone except those who are willing to pay small business prices for the feature set that got them into this predicament in the first place.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can't imagine any of my things would have versions. This would be static items like photos, home videos, and maybe tax documents. Just personal things that I don't want to lose.

I think a cloud drive seems easiest, but what happens if you get some kind of ransomware? Granted, I've been operating computers for over 20 years without a virus scanner and without getting a virus I haven't inflicted on myself (oh the russian warez of my youth). Does your cloud get encrypted?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

FogHelmut posted:

I can't imagine any of my things would have versions. This would be static items like photos, home videos, and maybe tax documents. Just personal things that I don't want to lose.

I think a cloud drive seems easiest, but what happens if you get some kind of ransomware? Granted, I've been operating computers for over 20 years without a virus scanner and without getting a virus I haven't inflicted on myself (oh the russian warez of my youth). Does your cloud get encrypted?

You probably want versioning in case you're hit by a ransomware. You cannot possibly guarantee you'll never be hit by one. If you're using an "on-demand" software and you're hit by a ransomware, just hit "restore" and you're done. If you have a scheduled task it's _possible_ that the encrypted files were backed up - no problem, just restore from a previous snapshot.

Furism fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 25, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MikeJF posted:

Well, they can be used as backup targets by things like Duplicati; is that what he meant?

Could be. I assumed he meant the regular OneDrive/DropBox/Google Drive client ; not backup clients that use OneDrive/DropBox as remote repos. I guess in that context that'd work fine but as far as I can tell it'd be cheaper to set up a S3 or BackBlaze because they bill by the GB. OneDrive is 9.99 for Office + Skype + 1 TB storage, no granularity. For my 400 GB BackBlaze is like $2/month.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Late to the Crashplan chat.

I switched from Backblaze to Crashplan for:
A) Cost (family plan was awesome)
B) Ease of restoration

Last time I had Backblaze restoring an entire drive consisted of either paying them for them to mail you a drive or requesting a restore or all your poo poo, waiting for the restore to finish, downloading massive zip of your restored files 500GB at a time, finding a place to store them, and then extracting them.

Have they made any improvements on this? Because I love being able to just point Crashplan at a drive or a folder and having it restore everything in-place, and I really don't want to switch to anything that makes actually getting to my files a pain.

xergm fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 25, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

Still, my home plan is good till 30.6.2018 and I can extend it for $30 for one more year. So personally I'm going to do nothing for the next 2 years unless something as good comes around, and with a significantly cheaper price to be worth the hassle.

This has just become my (Crash)plan as well. Helps that I've only got it on one PC so business plan would be 120/yr anyway. Note the email I got says we do need to go tell them to move us over to the business play (so it isn't an automatic thing, if you let your current plan expire I think they just junk your stuff).

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Another sad Crashplan user here. I have a lot of computers, so Family Plan was amazing for me. I'd honestly pay like 2x the price for the same service (10 computers, unlimited) if it existed elsewhere. Was really happy with how their restoring worked too.

Not sure what my plan is now...

The $50+/computer/year stuff sucks, I have a lot of laptops and things that are hardly jam-packed with data but I'd still like cloud backups on.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

admiraldennis posted:

Another sad Crashplan user here. I have a lot of computers, so Family Plan was amazing for me. I'd honestly pay like 2x the price for the same service (10 computers, unlimited) if it existed elsewhere. Was really happy with how their restoring worked too.

Not sure what my plan is now...

The $50+/computer/year stuff sucks, I have a lot of laptops and things that are hardly jam-packed with data but I'd still like cloud backups on.

Someone upthread thought you could kinda get around that by backing everything up to a single local PC, then hooking that PC up to CrashPlan.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That's what I do, pain in the rear end but better than Carbonite or Backblaze or whatever.

You can even have symlinks involved so long as the actual target folder selected in the Crashplan client isn't a symlink itself, and backing up NFS shares etc is still doable.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 26, 2017

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Someone upthread thought you could kinda get around that by backing everything up to a single local PC, then hooking that PC up to CrashPlan.

This seems to be a royal pain in the rear end if not all your computers are on the same network though. I seriously wish that crashplan had just put a hard limit on the total size of your backup on the family or single plan, or just jacked up the price *2. There really doesn't appear to be anything that fills the same niche at all out there currently.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Takes No Damage posted:

Does anyone have experience with different clients for that? I could probably do SMB to one machine but not sure the best clients for Windows and Mac

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

DJ Burette posted:

This seems to be a royal pain in the rear end if not all your computers are on the same network though. I seriously wish that crashplan had just put a hard limit on the total size of your backup on the family or single plan, or just jacked up the price *2. There really doesn't appear to be anything that fills the same niche at all out there currently.

You can use SyncThing to synchronize files to one computer, even if they are not on the same network (it goes over Internet but everything is end-to-end encrypted). Then backup from that computer.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What's the general consensus regarding Drobo's BeyondRaid? The tldr of it is that it's basically RAID5 but if you have a drive larger than the others, you'll still benefit from the extra space (minus some of parity I reckon). Additionally, is there a similar, non-proprietary, Linux-available technology?

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Furism posted:

What's the general consensus regarding Drobo's BeyondRaid? The tldr of it is that it's basically RAID5 but if you have a drive larger than the others, you'll still benefit from the extra space (minus some of parity I reckon). Additionally, is there a similar, non-proprietary, Linux-available technology?

Folks in here may know but I think you'll get a better response in the NAS megathread.

eames
May 9, 2009

I set up Veeam Free Endpoint on one workstation today. The setup for multiple rotated USB drives is very simple.
The only thin I miss is the ability to add multiple backup jobs, i.e. backups to USB on every device connect and daily scheduled backups to NAS. Probably a limitation of the free version but two rotated USB sticks plus Crashplan until it expires are good enough for now.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

eames posted:

I set up Veeam Free Endpoint on one workstation today. The setup for multiple rotated USB drives is very simple.
The only thin I miss is the ability to add multiple backup jobs, i.e. backups to USB on every device connect and daily scheduled backups to NAS. Probably a limitation of the free version but two rotated USB sticks plus Crashplan until it expires are good enough for now.

I ran into a dumb problem with Veeam. It wouldn't grab my mp3 or flac (or anything besides jpeg and png) files for backup. I couldn't find a setting that changed that behaviour. :shrug:

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Another Crashplan refugee here. Like a lot of people I have my home systems backing up to a local server, then from there to Crashplan. I'm looking at replacing the local portion with Veeam, but I can't tell if the free Windows backup agent comes with any kind of centralized management.

Any idea if this functionality is available in the free version, or if there's another free/reasonably priced local backup solution that would give me centralized configuration and monitoring?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

fatman1683 posted:

Another Crashplan refugee here. Like a lot of people I have my home systems backing up to a local server, then from there to Crashplan. I'm looking at replacing the local portion with Veeam, but I can't tell if the free Windows backup agent comes with any kind of centralized management.
You can backup to a managed repository with it, but you can't manage anything from the free client itself.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Just looking into backups now as I realize my 250 gb of photos and videos I've taken are actually worth a few bucks a month to keep safe. Sounds like crashplan would've been ideal, so of course it's dead.

Was originally just wanting to back up the above photo directory, but it seems like all the common services are unlimited anyway so I may as well back up my entire ~3.5 tb hoard of everything while I'm bothering with this. I looked into carbonite but locking external hard drives behind a higher pricing tier was an absolute as most of my stuff is on one. Is backblaze the current hotness for basic home users now?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been trying out Backblaze B2 with Duplicacy today and I think its mostly going to cover my needs

The windows gui is kind of limited but most of the stuff I'm missing is apparently being added within the next couple of months

I did consider doing the whole backing up to a central computer then off to the cloud, but then realised I only actually need to pay for the gui frontend of duplicacy, and everything outside of the windows box would be purely cli anyway

The dev seems really helpful and quick to respond too which is always nice

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
While searching about for what I'm going to do post Crashplan I've found out that Spideroak (that I have an unlimited account for anyway, but mostly use for sync and an additional backup set for more important stuff) has point in time restore via the CLI. https://support.spideroak.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001893723-Restoring-Your-Data-With-Point-in-Time

To add to it's client side encryption and fully selective backup including mounted network drives, I might just go all in for backup with it too now.

e: https://spideroak.com/lifeboat-one-crashplan-rescue/

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 31, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Google wants their new backup and sync app to be the go-to backup software. Backing everything on all devices and making them instantly accessible by cloud. It's the permanent replacement for google drive.

Backup and sync is also really buggy. It backed up all my video files which I never marked for backup. Backed up every in-game screen-shot and every e-book cover. If it was an image file on my c drive it'd get backed up, with even odds of that happening to any image files on my phone.

It's really annoying to go from having 6 gigs of files on google drive to getting an email saying that almost all 120 gigs of space were used up.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Somebody read their Terms & Conditions/EULA? Pretty sure they're going to look at the files metadata for their usual marketing purposes. Microsoft already does this with Office 365 to sell you later on "business intelligence."

Note I'm not saying whether or not it's true or false or good or bad, just that people should make sure what Google is going to do with their files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Welp, I dumped the Veeam Enpoint Backup free client. The old version I was on for nearly two years would take 30-45 minutes to push out the daily incremental for the full system backup of my Surface. I was on the old client because at some point a newer version failed to complete any backup whatsoever. A couple of weeks ago, I updated to the current client and now you need to enter the administrator password several times if you want to dismiss warnings while logged in as a standard user. It will also always issue an "aborted due to low battery" warning when unplugged, even if the battery is fully charged. And then have proceeded to backup anyway. Good thing is the incremental backups only last ten minutes. Bad thing is that when wifi goes out or if I put the Surface to sleep while the backup is running, it is likely to leave my Synology nas in such a state that unplugging and replugging the power is the only way to ever get access to it again. Also, if you don't do that, all subsequent backups fail.

Some of that may be a consequence of my particular setup (underpowered nas), but I'm sick of dealing with it. Particularly the overburdening the cpu of my nas to the point where it can't be accessed through the network anymore due to an interrupted backup isn't acceptable by any metric. The old client handled this fine (ie didn't kill the nas and picked up the pieces of the interrupted backup).

I installed Synology's Cloud Sync Backup instead. I lose the bare metal restore option, but I gain that my personal files are backed up more or less in real time, with versioning I can configure. It seems to work so far.

• Locked thread