Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

oohhboy posted:

That is a good read. It's well written and clearly explains the problem and the solution to it.

I never really noticed the stuttering problem which happened occasionally a couple years back on OSX as I figured that it was from the original hardware not quite keeping up which otherwise played smooth as butter at 1080p.

It is a bit weird that there were that many noticeable users raging about the issue given it is not a commercial product developed by volunteers. You would think they would positively encourage people instead of crying about their pet game. I imagine Dolphin would be a lot further along with out those angry people.

My stand is that if it worked, it worked, otherwise I guess I can wait a couple years for them to catch up or just buy the real thing.

"Their pet game" is 3 of most popular games supported, which were nigh unplayable before you built up a good shader cache. But still listed as playable in the compatibility list because they run great after a few hours of putting up with the stuttering. Not to mention that support on the Dolphin forum is handled via My Pet Game: Megathread so you get lots of people with the same issues grumbling in the same place.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

oohhboy posted:

It is a bit weird that there were that many noticeable users raging about the issue given it is not a commercial product developed by volunteers. You would think they would positively encourage people instead of crying about their pet game. I imagine Dolphin would be a lot further along with out those angry people.

You're not familiar with this internet thing, are you?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

You're not familiar with this internet thing, are you?

Well yes, they are still hosed in the head all the same.

As for those 3 games, tough poo poo. Glad they sorted it out but being a oval office deserves a slap in the face.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
uhhhh if you think that level of vitriol is bad, check the issue tracker and forums and search for "moron" or "retarded" or "dev team"

you'll quickly find stuff like https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/9536

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Suspicious Dish posted:

uhhhh if you think that level of vitriol is bad, check the issue tracker and forums and search for "moron" or "retarded" or "dev team"

you'll quickly find stuff like https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/9536

Nerds are terrible always.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
you loving idiots spending all of your time making ways to play games at no cost to me

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
turns out pirates don't have any concept of other people's time or energy spent making something!!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Suspicious Dish posted:

turns out pirates don't have any concept of other people's time or energy spent making something!!!!

Who would have thought.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
honestly i'm more confounded at the notion that someone would be willing to put their efforts into a passion project that they strictly can't make money from. i'm not nearly that charitable. i appreciate their work, but at the same time i don't understand why they do it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I greatly appreciate the effort it's probably the best emulator out there for anything

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

honestly i'm more confounded at the notion that someone would be willing to put their efforts into a passion project that they strictly can't make money from. i'm not nearly that charitable. i appreciate their work, but at the same time i don't understand why they do it.

Why climb a mountain? Why have a hobby or play sports?

It's the sense of self satisfaction and leaving your mark no matter how small on the world, so you can say you mattered. Maybe they want to stretch their muscles and the end product is something useful for others. Or they could be pathologically driven and this is their outlet. I am 100% that you have taking pride from a job well done.

Why do I volunteer my time to be a president of a Badminton club? I like making people happy and it's good to build leadership skills which helps you better understand people whether it be to form closer relationships or to manipulate others better.

Plenty of reasons to do something like this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
We have an entire LP subforum dedicated to people putting time and effort, sometimes a great deal of each, into projects they're highly unlikely to profit from. Seeing other people enjoy something you had a hand in creating feels nice, whether you make money from it or not.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
July/August Progress Report, plus a call for help with bug fixing.

Also, breaking news: Dolphin can finally - finally - play Red Steel. And also I guess Far Cry Vengeance, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U5k-mNrduI

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 4, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Metroid Prime and Prime 2 run like a dream with ubershaders, but I've run into a weird new problem instead. When I start one of them up, they run fine. If I close them out and then restart, or switch to the other one, the game just shows a black screen with audio. Occasionally a colored box would appear on the bottom of the screen. Then seemingly at random, I'd try to start the game again and it would work fine. What's the deal?

Running Direct3D11 if that helps.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The September Progress Report is up, and it's pretty plane, all things considered.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Hello quiet thread! Here's two new things:

- The October Progress Report, since it wasn't posted earlier this month (nothing huge except custom mipmaps)
- The pretty giant new feature of Hybrid XFBs

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bumping this ancient thread to ask a question;

Has anyone played Animal Crossing with the GBA link to go to the bug island? I'm not sure if this is emulation weirdness or not but every time I go to the island there's no special fish or anything. I can't remember if these were just that rare on the GC version or if something's jacked up in the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Hi thread! Here's your progress reports for November, December, and January.

Not too much happened other than the relatively big Hybrid XFB release.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for always linking these. I really like reading them for some reason.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, they're usually very well written and surprisingly engaging. I recently sold my gaming PC and I just realized that my lovely laptop can't handle Dolphin.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like even PC's that seem "mid-range" these days can handle anything on Dolphin as long as you're not going full bonkers 4K with it.

3 years ago I built my PC with Dolphin in mind (i7 4790K, GT 750 Ti) and I have yet to find a game that makes Dolphin stutter at 1080p rendering. You can probably get away with a $600-800 PC of modern parts that will crush it at Dolphin and PCSX2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've had less luck with pcsx2 but basically the only game i haven't been able to run on dolphin is metal arms and my pc is pretty rusty. it's come a long way

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 14, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PCSX2 is unfortunately just kind of bad. There are a lot of games that are still pretty glitchy and the interlacing stuff is still annoying as hell.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yup, once I get some cash flowing again I'm gonna build a nice Dolphin/HTCP setup. I haven't even finished Mario Galaxy 2!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i dunno, are we talkin like gcn games? because gamecube games run nice and smoothly (with the right settings), but wii games are still very hit-or-miss in terms of frame rate in my experience, and i have a fairly beefy computer

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

On the newer builds of Dolphin I struggle to find games that don't work well. Games marked as incompatible in the wiki are often outdated and work fine and performance is pretty much perfect on my i7 6700k @ 4.3.

I usually leave the emulated CPU overclocked to 150% too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dolphin runs fine on my Core-M 7y30 tablet as long as I don't crank up the enhancements too much so that's pretty impressive actually.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 14, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
People who use any kinds of enhancements on emulated games have no respect for art IMHO. Original resolution, original textures, original aspect ratio. Anything else is delusional.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Or you could just play on an actual console.

I'll take my Sunshine with Smashmouth textures, tyvm.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Joke textures are cool and fine.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

DoctorWhat posted:

People who use any kinds of enhancements on emulated games have no respect for art IMHO. Original resolution, original textures, original aspect ratio. Anything else is delusional.

I unironically stand by this for ps1/n64 games

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It is an act of supreme arrogance to remake or remaster or modify a game for the purposes of "improving" or "fixing" it. This goes for both corporations and individuals.

The PS4 version of Shadow of the Collosus is one of the most obscene, loathsome acts of vandalism I have ever had the displeasure to witness.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DoctorWhat posted:

It is an act of supreme arrogance to remake or remaster or modify a game for the purposes of "improving" or "fixing" it. This goes for both corporations and individuals.

The PS4 version of Shadow of the Collosus is one of the most obscene, loathsome acts of vandalism I have ever had the displeasure to witness.

we have a madman in the room

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I couldn't agree more. There are only two things worse than these remasters and remakes.

Releasing patches and so-called bugfixes that immediately distort the piece of art and change the meaning of the statement that is the final release. That they have the gall to do this when the art is still so young and so ... fresh is what makes it worse than the remake or the remaster which has at least time on its side to dull the pain. And remasters don't change the original, unlike these so-called fixes. So they're much worse in this regard.

But the worst offender of all to my mind is the sequel. It often not only "fixes" and "improves" on the original, it even goes so far as to change the story, characters, even the gameplay in some of the more extreme examples. Nothing is sacred where sequels are concerned. Truly the lowest of the low when it comes to disrespecting art and intent.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

DoctorWhat posted:

Have you looked at metroid prime upscaled though

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

PCSX2 is unfortunately just kind of bad. There are a lot of games that are still pretty glitchy and the interlacing stuff is still annoying as hell.

A large part of that is just that the Gamecube is a lot closer to modern PC GPU architectures than the PS2 is.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

So does that mean the original Xbox is alien technology to explain why the emulation for it has been extremely difficult?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

stringball posted:

So does that mean the original Xbox is alien technology to explain why the emulation for it has been extremely difficult?

x86 is hard, the gpu has some quirks that haven't been documented, one of the sound processors is hard, the bios hasn't been fully documented and there isn't a lot of demand, what with the general lack of exclusives.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Hace posted:

Have you looked at metroid prime upscaled though

Soul Calibur 2 is also obscenely good when upscaled. In spite of the GCN getting the shaft for the most part, with regards to video output, a lot of those games had gorgeous assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Time for The Feb/March Progress Report

• Locked thread