Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I might try to see Nashville depending on which coast I am when it happens. Of all the bands that have said "we're done" and later "just kidding", this is pretty much the only one I'm a fan of because they are still killing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'd like to thank whomever's running Sirius XMU for playing "call the police" ad nauseum, because it finally clicked for me upon the 17th or so listen and I'm really liking it now :)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

precision posted:

I might try to see Nashville depending on which coast I am when it happens. Of all the bands that have said "we're done" and later "just kidding", this is pretty much the only one I'm a fan of because they are still killing it.

The great thing about LCD Soundsystem is that from the very first single, the band's been about fear of losing youth, losing touch with friends, wasted youth, being alone in a crowd...it's an overall theme that only becomes more relevant as the band ages.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

The great thing about LCD Soundsystem is that from the very first single, the band's been about fear of losing youth, losing touch with friends, wasted youth, being alone in a crowd...it's an overall theme that only becomes more relevant as the band ages.
Their first single was about the band Daft Punk playing a show at their house.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Their first single was about the band Daft Punk playing a show at their house.

losing my edge is the first LCD soundsystem single dude.....................................

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Daft Punk is Playing at My House wasn't even their second single, it was their fifth.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

losing my edge is the first LCD soundsystem single dude.....................................
Huh, weird

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
awfully tempted to fly to LA for one of the november shows

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah. I love the documentary about their "last" shows at Madison Square and a lot of it is because of all the backstage stuff.

It made me feel a lot less old when Murphy said "I was 38 when this band started"

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I am exceptionally tempted to go to them again even though I saw them last summer. But its such a bad venue...

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/american-dream/id1258822744

Preorder is up, with insanely bad album art too! Hopefully it's a placeholder.

Emotional Haircut is a good description of James Murphy tbh.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Preorder is up, with insanely bad album art too! Hopefully it's a placeholder.
Yeah look at all the effort that went into that! :effort:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
That is absolutely the album art. It's the same typeface as the logos on the tour pages on Ticketmaster.

I'm pretty sure/hoping that's the only thing they're phoning in on this go-around.

Edit: 69 minutes long. Nice.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 4, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Honestly I prefer the album art for the American dream/call the police single :barf:

edit: more confirmation, here's the CD listing at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/American-Dre...lcd+soundsystem

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 4, 2017

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Personally, I love Windows 95.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
that cover is so offensively lazy. it's not even bad in an interesting way

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That album cover is really bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

That album cover is really bad.
It looks like one of those Redbox unofficial placeholder covers for a movie

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
American Dream is one of my favorite songs they've ever done.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The album cover is a painting, and it is almost certainly a reference to the novel Infinite Jest.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Via Pitchfork, they're releasing another new song tomorrow.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

angrygodofjebus posted:

Via Pitchfork, they're releasing another new song tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqq3BtGrpU8

This album is gonna rule.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 16, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I didn’t notice until a rewatch of the tonite video that Nancy goes back to reading Morrissey’s Autobiography during every Jupiter-4 break. Whoever plays the Roland SH-5 also sits back down and reads until he is needed.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/james-murphy-on-lcd-soundsystems-return.html

i present to you: the sequel to Losing My Edge in interview form

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
“Oh, sorry. Is my job to make you comfortable? Am I supposed to give you a hand job?”

-James Murphy, 2017

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

this is so good

also tonite is real good

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Tonight redeems the first two bleh singles.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

You know how every movie star these days is so likable, like "oh man I want to hang out with Chris Pratt, he just seems so down to earth" or whatever? (replace Chris Pratt with whoever, it's like 80% of hollywood these days)

I think James Murphy would probably be awful to hang out with, but it's OK because he makes some bombass loving music. Some of my favorite "this man is a god drat miser" quotes from that interview (in which he uses the term "dingdong" at least twice):

quote:

I don’t want to be subsumed into popular culture and played on the radio next to some garbage music. I don’t want some kid’s first experience with my band to be because they heard us on the radio and just liked it more than they liked some other loving song.

quote:

And those kinds of feelings got mixed in with the fact that we had booked this Madison Square Garden showThe April 2, 2011, “final show” at Madison Square Garden lasted almost four hours. When Murphy announced the band’s return four years later, some fans were less than thrilled: “I think if your band reunites less than 10 years after your advertised last show, you have to refund all the money from it,” tweeted Pitchfork writer Stuart Berman. and then realized the show’s promoters had no faith in us. They were trying to come up with big-name openers for us because they didn’t think we could sell out the place by ourselves. One of the openers they suggested was Big Boi from Outkast. Why on earth would Big Boi open for us? Big Boi was in one of the biggest, most important hip-hop — no, one of the biggest and most important acts of all time. It didn’t make any sense. But behind that idea was the promoters’ belief that we just weren’t going to sell any tickets unless there [was] some extra element. So I got mad on the phone with them about it. I was like, “Well, how about it’s our last loving show?” And I hung up the phone. Then I was like, I guess that’ll be our last show then.

quote:

Also, nobody can afford anything real. No one can buy a loving apartment in this city so you might as well buy burrata. A plumber used to be able to buy an apartment. Now you can have an advanced degree from an Ivy League school and you’re still like, “I can’t buy an apartment but I did get this ham from Spain that my friend smuggled in. It’s totally illegal ham.”

quote:

Some ding dong wearing wraparound sunglasses and a backward hat and nothing but Under Armour clothing is absolutely sure that they are loving cool as poo poo, and there’s nothing you can say to make them deviate from that. It’s such a weird thing.

quote:

It’s changed because cool has become uncompelling to me. It used to have some meaning. Iggy Pop at his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame acceptance speech, where he kept saying, “This is cool; and that’s cool” — you could see that the word “cool” had a specific, pretty hard-won meaning to him. At this moment in history it’s been emptied of meaning. I used to hate cool stuff because I was jealous of it. Then I thought I would try cool stuff to see if it was fun. Then I was cool. Now I’m just old. That’s the arc. Also, for me to try and be cool now … good god. I’m not going to dye my hair.

quote:

There was an ad, and I won’t say who it was for — a corny clothing company — and they shot a whole video for us of people lip-syncing to one of our songs. I looked at it and almost threw up in my mouth. I said there’s no way they can use this song. They’re like, “Okay. We’ll double the offer.” “Yeah, you’re not hearing me. You can’t use this loving song.” “Okay. We hear you loud and clear …We’ll double it again.” By breaking up my band, I’d left a lot more on the table than what they were offering. Did they think I was going to sacrifice all that for some lovely ad? So, yeah, it felt good to say no to that. It felt really good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

incoherent posted:

I think the first two singles were way more exciting than tonite v:shobon:v

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think the first two singles were way more exciting than tonite v:shobon:v

I've seen a bunch of people that really love American Dream and it's my least favorite of the three (though it's still good) so I guess ymmv

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

incoherent posted:

I agree.

I also like the article because he sounds kinda like a dick, but for good reasons if that's possible? Like he is who he is and he's not going to apologize for it, even if he is just an old man shaking his fist at the "kids".

Also, if you bought tickets to one of their upcoming shows, you also get a copy of the album when it comes out next week. Or maybe that's just here in Michigan, I dunno. I converted my husband into a fan and he wants to see them again!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really dig all the new songs v:shobon:v

I also agree with Murphy re: the Death of Cool

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Call the Police is good, American Dream is great, I kept waiting for Tonite to get good.

-my worthless opinion

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Gravitee posted:

Also, if you bought tickets to one of their upcoming shows, you also get a copy of the album when it comes out next week. Or maybe that's just here in Michigan, I dunno. I converted my husband into a fan and he wants to see them again!

I bought two tickets, so I took the $19.99 vinyl option, and sent the other offer to my fiancee so that she can get the CD.

However, I got an e-mail from Livenation about them not being able to process my payment. I called my credit card company and there was no issue with the card. So I called Livenation with the number from the e-mail, and it turns out they sent the e-mail in error to a bunch of people. The person on the phone already knew what I was talking about before I could finish what I was saying. It was strange. I guess I am posting this just in case other people got the same e-mail.

I am not sure when to expect the vinyl copy of the album.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I won tickets to LCD Soundsystem via a radio call-in, so I don't know if I get the free album.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
it leaked and it's so good

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
[quote="“hughesta”" post="“475889405”"]
it leaked and it’s so good
[/quote]

QFE.

I didn’t care for the first two singles, but they make more sense in context.

Overall, the album feels like a more serious version of This Is Happening. “How do you sleep?” is going to be insane live.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Only one listen but it is extremely good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Slide into my pms plz...😏😏😏😏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
New song. Not on the album. It's also on Spotify.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/lcd-soundsystem-share-new-song-pulse-v-1-stream/

• Locked thread