Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

I'm on beta track for some old issue or another and when it updated to 56b3 just now my bookmarks toolbar quit working. It's there and I can click the buttons but nothing happens.

e: for that matter none of my bookmarks work. ran places maintenance and that didn't help.

Are you using tree style tabs? I have the same issue and it disappears once I disable tree style tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dodoman posted:

Are you using tree style tabs? I have the same issue and it disappears once I disable tree style tabs.

Yeah, I did some digging and apparently it's a bug in June nightly that pops back up while using Tree Style Tabs.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Harik posted:

There must be a better way to do it - any suggestions?

No, gently caress it, blast open a million tabs, never apologize. It's like having a few books open on your desk or different sections of the paper. Make a mess and then clear it away.

I don't get this thing that you have to manage your tabs, as if the ideal browser state is your top six always open plus a careful little holiday browsing in a temporary one. I scroll down a news front page, open articles I want to read in seven new tabs, then forget about them for an hour or so. Now, the longest I can concentrate on any given task, work or play, is around 45 seconds, a minute tops if under a serious deadline. But I feel SO ALIIIIIVE

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I do the 'leave tabs open for later use' thing too, but I also break them out into a new window if I end up with too many of them for a given topic. Entirely subjective, of course.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I thought Mozilla dev actually did some work for once and made unloaded tabs not consume resources so go nuts and don't apologise.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

mike12345 posted:

I'm not sure are you asking for a technological fix or a change in your behaviour?

"yes".

Trying to find a better way to handle what are basically short-term bookmarks.

Ola posted:

No, gently caress it, blast open a million tabs, never apologize. It's like having a few books open on your desk or different sections of the paper. Make a mess and then clear it away.

I don't get this thing that you have to manage your tabs, as if the ideal browser state is your top six always open plus a careful little holiday browsing in a temporary one. I scroll down a news front page, open articles I want to read in seven new tabs, then forget about them for an hour or so. Now, the longest I can concentrate on any given task, work or play, is around 45 seconds, a minute tops if under a serious deadline. But I feel SO ALIIIIIVE

You start out somewhat serious but end up sarcastic. Bookmarking physical reference material has always been super common and not at all ADD - saves you from having to keep looking the same things up over and over. You just can't hold that much in your head all at once, so leave it to the paper/computer and get it as needed.

The workflow that I'm trying to approach is to be able to snip just the thing I care about out of the webpage (generally argument order for an API or a data structure) and put it on one mega-reference page that I can just search through. It just sucks to paste formatting when everything is in CSS, so it ends up a jumbled mess that it takes too long to clean up to make it worth doing.

So I end up with tabs full of things like std::map::emplace and AsyncHTTP in java and python lambda syntax and datasheets for 2-3 embedded parts and 4 board schematics. Unlike news/social media, none of that is clamoring for your attention, it's passively waiting for you to need it again.

Being a full-stack Internet of poo poo dev sucks when you have to keep every piece of it in your head at once all the time.

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 18, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Has anyone seen the new Firefox nightly logo? Pity they'd never use it as the actual shipping icon:

:smugbert:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anyone seen the new Firefox nightly logo? Pity they'd never use it as the actual shipping icon:

:smugbert:
I noticed that before too, it just landed today! It was the normal Firefox branding yesterday, though with higher contrast than the stable release. Nice to have a clear visual distinction between Firefox versions in my dock, like we used to get with Aurora.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

I noticed that before too, it just landed today! It was the normal Firefox branding yesterday, though with higher contrast than the stable release. Nice to have a clear visual distinction between Firefox versions in my dock, like we used to get with Aurora.

The previous one was just an older Firefox icon from around 2006. A few days before that they actually had Firebird logo. Those crazy cats.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Harik posted:

"yes".

Trying to find a better way to handle what are basically short-term bookmarks.

You start out somewhat serious but end up sarcastic. Bookmarking physical reference material has always been super common and not at all ADD - saves you from having to keep looking the same things up over and over. You just can't hold that much in your head all at once, so leave it to the paper/computer and get it as needed.

The workflow that I'm trying to approach is to be able to snip just the thing I care about out of the webpage (generally argument order for an API or a data structure) and put it on one mega-reference page that I can just search through. It just sucks to paste formatting when everything is in CSS, so it ends up a jumbled mess that it takes too long to clean up to make it worth doing.

So I end up with tabs full of things like std::map::emplace and AsyncHTTP in java and python lambda syntax and datasheets for 2-3 embedded parts and 4 board schematics. Unlike news/social media, none of that is clamoring for your attention, it's passively waiting for you to need it again.

Being a full-stack Internet of poo poo dev sucks when you have to keep every piece of it in your head at once all the time.

Yes I did joke a bit, sorry for not taking you more seriously. I think what you want might not exist outside tab state savers and bookmark organizers, but it might be a good product idea, a browser plugin or something. You want to bookmark something, not just a page but a specific piece of a page, store it somewhere it's easy to find again (indexed, hierarchical, relations, etc) and then possibly guard against link rot. Or maybe that's a longer term thing, is a shorter term thing would be displaying fragments of different pages in some lovely fan or tree shaped bit of GUI magic. The core of the thing is the information relations you build to suit your own purpose. Might be interesting to make. I'm studying programming now, maybe it's a good subject to work on.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Try using a notes app like OneNote maybe? Use the Desktop version since it's got the snipping tool and more robust formatting import.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Right, this is in my About Nightly info box:

Please tell me I've not contracted digital gonorrhoea :negative:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Right, this is in my About Nightly info box:

Please tell me I've not contracted digital gonorrhoea :negative:

No, it's ok, you've just got digital cataracts.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
allllllright so i was browsing twitter, and Ublock origin's lil counter of requests blocked suddenly disappeared. I click on ublock, and firefox just lags the poo poo out. i restart and go into my extensions list, and it's now "ublock origin/webext-hybrid"? what the hell does that mean

edit: nm

Ublock Origin github posted:

The first time uBO/webext-hybrid executes, there might be a noticeable delay[1]: this is caused by the fact that uBO/webext-hybrid will import all the data from legacy storage, into webext storage. This is done only the first time the uBO/webext-hybrid is executed, after this the import step will be skipped.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Firefox-WebExtensions

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ublock keeps disappearing when I reset firefox now. If I go to the download page https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=search and reinstall it it works just fine, but only until the next time I reset the browser. I assume this is related to above but reading the link I still have no idea how to fix this. :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Ublock keeps disappearing when I reset firefox now. If I go to the download page https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=search and reinstall it it works just fine, but only until the next time I reset the browser. I assume this is related to above but reading the link I still have no idea how to fix this. :(

There's an updated version on gorhill's github

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Thanks, found it, seems to work again. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Finally had time to update to Firefox 55, and it now refuses to remember any window size/position, even when opening a new window or private window. Tried a lot of suggested solutions short of refreshing Firefox entirely since the refresh would be a pain for various reasons.

Then uBlock Origin somehow botched its update and failed to work.

In the process I noticed 55 changed stuff re: SALR's preferences window (it won't display anything) so here's a fixed version :siren: only if you are using Firefox 55+:siren: since the SALR thread is archived and I'm not up to reposting it right now: https://bintray.com/salr/salr-firefox/download_file?file_path=salastread_v4.1.2-dev.0_signed.xpi

I'm probably going to be switching to the ESR for a while. What a hassle.

e: reverted my profile to my backup, installed ESR; everything is working great

astral fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 29, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

astral posted:

Finally had time to update to Firefox 55, and it now refuses to remember any window size/position, even when opening a new window or private window. Tried a lot of suggested solutions short of refreshing Firefox entirely since the refresh would be an pain for various reasons.

Then uBlock Origin somehow botched its update and failed to work.

In the process I noticed 55 changed stuff re: SALR's preferences window (it won't display anything) so here's a fixed version :siren: only if you are using Firefox 55+:siren: since the SALR thread is archived and I'm not up to reposting it right now: https://bintray.com/salr/salr-firefox/download_file?file_path=salastread_v4.1.2-dev.0_signed.xpi

I'm probably going to be switching to the ESR for a while. What a hassle.

e: reverted my profile to my backup, installed ESR; everything is working great

Are you going to be moving SALR's features to the WebExtension framework by the way?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

Are you going to be moving SALR's features to the WebExtension framework by the way?

It's really difficult to justify the time and effort required when the forums are going to be moving to XenForo 2.0 or whatever. Tentatively my advice is going to be "just use the ESR until then". If that situation changes, we'll see.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I used the Development Channel for uBlock Origin. You need to install 1.13.9b7 or 1.13.10 once, make sure your settings look right, then install 1.13.11rc0.

e: Also, disable updates and only update to the latest pure-WebExtension development version until it gets on the release channel.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 29, 2017

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
uBlock worked after a reinstallation but now it seems to gently caress up with some websites (mainly eBay).
When I click on a link, it just gets stuck but it's ok when I open in a new tab. Maybe some Javascript fuckery?

Anyone have the same problem?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
FYI for everyone using YouTube Center dev build, the developer has stopped updating it after the most recent changes at YouTube.

He's now working on maia-yt which will replace it. He's chosen to start from scratch rather than rework YTC any further.

As it stands, maia-yt is beyond bare bones as this point, so we're back to enduring a pretty vanilla YouTube until he gets things sorted.

I found a handy script which forces YT to play 1080p, but none so far to resize the player.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

astral posted:

It's really difficult to justify the time and effort required when the forums are going to be moving to XenForo 2.0 or whatever. Tentatively my advice is going to be "just use the ESR until then". If that situation changes, we'll see.

Probably be easier for whoever maintains the equivalent Chrome extension to modify it to support webextensions, should be pretty small changes compared to re-writing the Firefox version.

Not sure if it's yet possible to make a version that works on both FF and Chrome.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Gorilla Salad posted:

FYI for everyone using YouTube Center dev build, the developer has stopped updating it after the most recent changes at YouTube.

He's now working on maia-yt which will replace it. He's chosen to start from scratch rather than rework YTC any further.

As it stands, maia-yt is beyond bare bones as this point, so we're back to enduring a pretty vanilla YouTube until he gets things sorted.

I found a handy script which forces YT to play 1080p, but none so far to resize the player.

It still removes ads and still resizes the video to a reasonable size so it's good enough for me. Honestly, I'll put up with whatever horrible jank it adds just because it resizes the YouTube video to fill more of the page.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh most definitely.

I can't stand YT's default options for player size.

I have a huge monitor, why would I only want the video to cover the top half of the screen and leave the rest a glaring white? YT has a shockingly bad interface all around.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Numero6 posted:

uBlock worked after a reinstallation but now it seems to gently caress up with some websites (mainly eBay).
When I click on a link, it just gets stuck but it's ok when I open in a new tab. Maybe some Javascript fuckery?

Anyone have the same problem?

It works for me until I close firefox, I just had to re install it this morning.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Clearing or highlighting the address bar text on a new tab seems to not be A Thing anymore, and no combination or elimination of extensions I've tried makes it work. It's seriously loving with years and years of habit/muscle memory. Is this only affecting me for some reason, or is it a widespread change?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Anyone who switched to 52 ESR had it go and update to 55 without your knowledge or consent? Appears I'm not the only one:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1157765
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1008733
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/939518
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/993765

...and there are even more threads from all sorts of older versions with people having this same problem.

I thought being on ESR meant I'd get updates automatically, but only ESR updates. Instead, it's switching me over to the release channel, though not immediately. The second time I reinstalled, I managed to stay on ESR for a few browser restarts, but this morning it went and updated to 55 again when I had to restart once more.

Gonna try some of these suggestions and see if I can get it to gently caress off. Oddly, 52 ESR on my Windows machine has been playing nice -- it's my OSX install on my work machine that refuses to stay down. Super annoying since 55 breaks some extensions I rely on heavily for work.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Buff Skeleton posted:

Anyone who switched to 52 ESR had it go and update to 55 without your knowledge or consent? Appears I'm not the only one:

...and there are even more threads from all sorts of older versions with people having this same problem.

I thought being on ESR meant I'd get updates automatically, but only ESR updates. Instead, it's switching me over to the release channel, though not immediately. The second time I reinstalled, I managed to stay on ESR for a few browser restarts, but this morning it went and updated to 55 again when I had to restart once more.

Gonna try some of these suggestions and see if I can get it to gently caress off. Oddly, 52 ESR on my Windows machine has been playing nice -- it's my OSX install on my work machine that refuses to stay down. Super annoying since 55 breaks some extensions I rely on heavily for work.

Without checking those links, I wonder if it was at all related to how the release channel accidentally was offered an update to 52 esr at one point.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Jippa posted:

It works for me until I close firefox, I just had to re install it this morning.

This might help with that.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.13.10

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Firefox' tab bar started scrolling 3 tabs per mouse wheel tick at a time all of a sudden and I can't figure out how to get it back to scrolling one tab at a time. :(

It does it both with TabMixPlus enabled or disabled, going to an older version of TMP also doesn't help. Starting Firefox in safe mode doesn't help either.
I found some suggestions that for some bizarre reason it's taking the vertical scroll value from Windows for the amount of tabs to scroll, but obviously I'm not going to ruin the rest of my entire computing experience to fix Firefox' bullshit.
Do you guys have any ideas on how to get it back to sane behavior?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I remember that happening once because I had the option enabled in both FireGestures and TabMixPlus, and I needed to disable it in at least one of them. It might be something to check if you have both of them, or some other extension that might overlap.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Buff Skeleton posted:

For fucks sake, it went and did it again after a crash, even after I did everything possible to make sure it would not and was UNABLE to do so. gently caress I hate this bullshit, I think I'm going to just give up and switch to Chrome for my work machine at this point.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lakitu7 posted:

I remember that happening once because I had the option enabled in both FireGestures and TabMixPlus, and I needed to disable it in at least one of them. It might be something to check if you have both of them, or some other extension that might overlap.

I've checked all my extensions that interact with tabs. Only TabMixPlus has an option for smooth scroll yes/no. Turning that one off makes it just jump 3 tabs abruptly, which is even worse. :(
Thanks for the suggestion, anyway!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I would guess that Mozilla linked it into Windows' settings on how many lines to scroll on a mouse wheel event. The Windows default is 3 lines. Try changing Windows to scroll 1 line at a time and see if that makes a difference. If it does, you are probably out of luck.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nalin posted:

I would guess that Mozilla linked it into Windows' settings on how many lines to scroll on a mouse wheel event. The Windows default is 3 lines. Try changing Windows to scroll 1 line at a time and see if that makes a difference. If it does, you are probably out of luck.

Yup, you got it. As an added bonus: they also tied it to horizontal scrolling separately. So if I change that, it affects how much is scrolled by tilting the mouse wheel.
I guess I'll have to hope Mozilla fixes their poo poo suffer until Mozilla finally forces me to take refuge in another browser.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm in up-to-date 55. Windows 10 mouse settings says the wheel scrolls "multiple lines at a time". In Logtech's settings app, it's set to 3 lines at a time. Checking now, I apparently still somehow have both extensions (TabMixPlus and FireGestures) set to provide the "switch tabs with scroll wheel over tab bar" options. Mine changes only one tab.

Probably that's not helpful but all I can say is that it *should* work? Maybe it would help to install drivers for your mouse from Logitech or whoever else might have made it?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm in up-to-date 55. Windows 10 mouse settings says the wheel scrolls "multiple lines at a time". In Logtech's settings app, it's set to 3 lines at a time.

The # of lines to scroll is on the bar below that dropdown box.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Buff Skeleton posted:

I think I'm going to just give up and switch to Chrome for my work machine at this point.

Geemer posted:

suffer until Mozilla finally forces me to take refuge in another browser.

Do they really look at their plummeting userbase, read posts like this, and then say "everythings fine, we are smart and good at designing things!"?