Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

So why add it on there?

Because companies are just as stupid as people, and think that pirates are the great Satan.

Look, we can play ring around the devil's advocate all day. Denuvo doesn't need to exist, but by existing it causes no harm if you're just trying to play a game. We can all move on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Propaganda Hour posted:

A $20 game sure is a novel place to try the Robin Hood defense.

i'd be motivated enough to buy and play it if it didn't come with drm because buying is easy, but i don't care enough about sonic to bother with the hassle of current-age digital piracy :colbert:

eventually, i'll get a switch and i can play it then

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Fargin Icehole posted:

So why add it on there?

Because Steam is a particularly easy API to dupe. Denuvo is not.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Mokinokaro posted:

It IS mentioned on the store page though.

They just added that today, which is good. It wasn't on there earlier.
-
I think the only case where Denuvo actually interrupted gameplay, to my knowledge, with egregious loading times was in the case of RiME (due to an extremely poor implementation of the DRM by the dev). Other than that, it can affect certain types of mods and trying to play the game offline.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

How is Samorost 3 compared 2 and Machinarium? Machinarium felt too slow and never clicked for me. Tell me there are no timed puzzles like 2 had. This is the difference between me getting the 1 dollar tier and the bta in the humble bundle, so this is a matter of great importance.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

il_cornuto posted:

Given that D4 is probably never going to finished, is it worth playing through what there is or is it pointless without an ending?

If you liked the tone and story and humor and music of Deadly Premonition then absolutely go for it, even if the story ending comes out of nowhere it's a pretty fun ride while it lasts and if DP was anything to go by (where the murderer literally had a license plate that read HESTHE1 and you could find tons of clues around his house and office) you'll probably figure out the broad strokes of the rest of the story on your own anyways. The pacing is pretty similar to it too, if you're expecting a Telltale style game where you power from plot point to plot point while making choices that effect the narrative you'll blast through in a few hours and probably be underwhelmed, but if you take your time and go back and forth between the two areas that make up most of the game you'll find tons of hidden secrets and side quests and character moments and lots of content to explore. The QTEs are also way better than most anything out there because they're based on broad, simple mouse gestures and there's a lot of room for error.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ShadowMar posted:

maybe gamers will keep it in their pants and not buy this poo poo for once?

haha who am i kidding of course bethesda is going to make a killing off this
in my experience people who usually play on console and/or play a lot more casually(like my cousin) have no idea whatsoever that there's anything unusual or bad about being charged to get mods

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

So why add it on there?

It's actually really easy to pirate a game that needs just Steam activation.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

If you liked the tone and story and humor and music of Deadly Premonition then absolutely go for it, even if the story ending comes out of nowhere it's a pretty fun ride while it lasts and if DP was anything to go by (where the murderer literally had a license plate that read HESTHE1 and you could find tons of clues around his house and office) you'll probably figure out the broad strokes of the rest of the story on your own anyways. The pacing is pretty similar to it too, if you're expecting a Telltale style game where you power from plot point to plot point while making choices that effect the narrative you'll blast through in a few hours and probably be underwhelmed, but if you take your time and go back and forth between the two areas that make up most of the game you'll find tons of hidden secrets and side quests and character moments and lots of content to explore. The QTEs are also way better than most anything out there because they're based on broad, simple mouse gestures and there's a lot of room for error.

I loved Deadly Premonition so that all sounds great, thanks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kibayasu posted:

Why pirate a game when you won't play it?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Denuvo seems to only be as effective in line with how popular the game is. RE7 and Tekken took less than a week. Just Cause 3 and some other mediocre game took a while. Then games like Need For Speed, one of the FIFAs and Homefront Revolution never got cracked (Homefront devs did remove the DRM in the end) because loving :lol:
Give Sonic a week and they'll bust it open.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

Denuvo seems to only be as effective in line with how popular the game is. RE7 and Tekken took less than a week. Just Cause 3 and some other mediocre game took a while. Then games like Need For Speed, one of the FIFAs and Homefront Revolution never got cracked (Homefront devs did remove the DRM in the end) because loving :lol:

It's more that the implementation seems to vary heavily by developer. Dishonored 2 was a good game and took months to crack.

JC3 took a long time because it was one of the first with that version.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Croccers posted:

Denuvo et al only need to exist in games for a very small amount of time for them be effective anti-piracy measures. The initial sales window is all it needs to cover before the market moves on to some other flavor of the month game. http://kotaku.com/denuvo-explains-why-doom-dropped-their-anti-piracy-tech-1790192362

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Croccers posted:

need for speed has constant multiplayer and such so itll probably never really be hacked

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Mania will probably be cracked by the end of the week if people give enough fucks. Weird that they decided to add Denuvo on a $20 game tho. I mean, it's not a first but...

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sega remains Sega.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
West of Loathing is a nice way to follow up Hellblade, I think. Both are great games too in very different ways.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there's absolutely no reason to discuss copy protection without bringing up Spyro: Year of the Dragon, the game that had decoy copy protection at the start but also removed collectables from later in the game to make it impossible to complete if it detected any changes

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131439/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

there's absolutely no reason to discuss copy protection without bringing up Spyro: Year of the Dragon, the game that had decoy copy protection at the start but also removed collectables from later in the game to make it impossible to complete if it detected any changes

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131439/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php
Earthbound was also packing some nasty copy protection, the pinnacle of which was waiting silently until right before the final boss fight, then wiping your saves and locking the game up.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Probably one of my favorite for classy anti-piracy was an obscure Spanish adventure game which decided to put some voice samples into effect.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Has anyone tried Absolver?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Kins posted:

Earthbound was also packing some nasty copy protection, the pinnacle of which was waiting silently until right before the final boss fight, then wiping your saves and locking the game up.

This is hilarious because you have to pirate the game and then use cheat codes in order to experience the copy protection yourself in this age of roms.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Earthbound had copy protection that let you play 99% of the game? There are games where I never even bother to do the final part.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

You can now activate keys via the website.

Also I think someone was complaining about this earlier? Anyway, a nice change in the beta client:

quote:

Steam will now use library folders on other drives to download game updates if the primary drive doesn't have enough space left

http://store.steampowered.com/news/32099/

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Earthbound had copy protection that let you play 99% of the game? There are games where I never even bother to do the final part.

It also ramps up the number of random encounters you face, which even in a game with good combat is really annoying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I pirate the Steam experience by just writing down names of games in a notebook and saying to myself "drat another great game added to my inventory, I'll get around to clearing this backlog some day"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, does anyone here use dance pads? My girlfriend just invested three hundred dollars on a pad. We used to play with Stepmania, but we recently moved and now my computer is in another room connected to the living room television via Steam Link. Steam Link is awesome and works great, but the bastard will not recognize the dance pad. I use various controllers, and they all sort of just default to the XBox controller setup in Steam using xinput. They all work, basically just translating button inputs into whatever Steam wants them to be. The dance pad, however, will not cooperate. When it's connected directly to the computer, the xinput translates the button input correctly, but through the Steam Link it does not. It recognizes there's something plugged in, and it thinks it's an XBox controller, but none of the button presses register.

We actually bought a big rear end CRT television just so we can play DDR on the ol' PS2.

On a related note: The DDR craze has long since gone away, but are there any games out there that use dance pads? The only one I can think of is Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is a lot of fun, but we're wanting to move on. I see there's this game, Pulsen...are there any others?

Edit to also add:

Oregon's fire warning or a leaked image from the new Far Cry map?

credburn fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 30, 2017

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I completed Baldurs Gate EE yesterday after playing it for two months! It was a great game and I wished I had understood it better when it released 20 years ago.

It's easily the best RPG I've played to date. At no point did it feel like a slog. The combat is great and the story is fun. Especially how you bring down the big bad in the final segments of the game.

If anyone here hasn't played it stop buying dumb new video games and play this old fun video game! I'm looking forward to Siege of Dragonspear and BG2. I have loads of adventuring still to do. :D

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I pirate the Steam experience by just writing down names of games in a notebook and saying to myself "drat another great game added to my inventory, I'll get around to clearing this backlog some day"

This is good but how do you simulate installing a game and then later uninstalling it to free up space without having put more than 5 minutes into it?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

il_cornuto posted:

This is good but how do you simulate installing a game and then later uninstalling it to free up space without having put more than 5 minutes into it?

God drat it but that is a plight, isn't it? I have a 100 gb solid state drive. I love it. It's fast. I don't use it for anything but gaming. Everything else can go on a normal drive. But I want to play the Witcher 3. I can do so, but it means I can only play Witcher 3. And it's a long God drat game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've only just gotten started, but I've had really reasonable load times on TW3 on a regular hard drive.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

il_cornuto posted:

crumple the paper into a ball and eat it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

credburn posted:

God drat it but that is a plight, isn't it? I have a 100 gb solid state drive. I love it. It's fast. I don't use it for anything but gaming. Everything else can go on a normal drive. But I want to play the Witcher 3. I can do so, but it means I can only play Witcher 3. And it's a long God drat game.

500 GB SSDs, from Samsung, not even a crap brand, are $140 right now and regularly go on sale for close to $100. Why do this to yourself?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Internet Explorer posted:

500 GB SSDs, from Samsung, not even a crap brand, are $140 right now and regularly go on sale for close to $100. Why do this to yourself?

frys has the 500gb for 109 right now if you get their emails and have a store near you.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The only reason I know Denuvo exists is because of people on these forums that want to pirate stuff. I had to look it up to see if I had any games with it the last time complaints came up and I have like 20 games with it that I didn't even know about because you don't interact with it in any way.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

The only reason I know Denuvo exists is because of people on these forums that want to pirate stuff. I had to look it up to see if I had any games with it the last time complaints came up and I have like 20 games with it that I didn't even know about because you don't interact with it in any way.

:same:

I have never had a problem with Denuvo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mill Village posted:

I have never had a problem with Denuvo.

I figured the forums would want to know, though. There's nothing goons love more than ragging on dumb things. :D

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I love the piracy protections that mess with people in subtle ways so they post in anger that they can't complete a section of the game. In Mirror's Edge it slowed down your running speed before a critical jump so you would never make it. I believe Batman had a gliding section that would cause you to fall to your death every time. In the threads that popped up asking how to pass these areas, people would respond with "You pass it by not pirating the game, dumbass."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I love the piracy protections that mess with people in subtle ways so they post in anger that they can't complete a section of the game. In Mirror's Edge it slowed down your running speed before a critical jump so you would never make it. I believe Batman had a gliding section that would cause you to fall to your death every time. In the threads that popped up asking how to pass these areas, people would respond with "You pass it by not pirating the game, dumbass."
the otherwise entirely unremarkable Game Dev Simulator had pirates get trapped in a cash spiral because people keep pirating your game and people would post asking why it's impossible for them to make money as an indie developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the otherwise entirely unremarkable Game Dev Simulator had pirates get trapped in a cash spiral because people keep pirating your game and people would post asking why it's impossible for them to make money as an indie developer

I'm 100% convinced now, games are art.