Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
drat, the new arts rule. Premium epidemic rats are cute as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

cycle of a gwent patch: "Guess I'll mill these celaeno harpies. now let's see what the netdecks are up to! ah, guess I'll craft some celaeno harpies"

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Those dicks just nerfed discard skelliges trump cards! Pirate captains are so worthless now. How do you even use them anymore?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Discard seems pretty donezo in general, the spellatel deck in particular eats it alive

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

MarshyMcFly posted:

Those dicks just nerfed discard skelliges trump cards! Pirate captains are so worthless now. How do you even use them anymore?

I don't even understand the card text. They boost themselves by what you discarded last turn? So if you have two of them in hand you have to discard -> pirate captain -> discard again -> captain? That is very clunky!! and awful past round 1!!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Discard seems pretty donezo in general, the spellatel deck in particular eats it alive

Yea because they decided to nerf only certain bronze trump cards instead of all of them.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It definitely seems like an oversight and I expect it won't last past this patch. But it's a fun deck to play

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Oh what the hell, Letho doesn't banish anymore?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Are there any halfway decent beginner decks that aren't monsters? I played a bit of Wild Hunt and Dagon weather a while back and want something new, but I've apparently forgotten how to play this game and I'm losing all the time. I have tried a NG spy deck and a ST spell deck, but I barely know how the darn things work let alone what my opponents are doing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

someone hook me up with a Deathwish Monster deck please

I liked N'zoth/Deathrattle Hunter in HS and drat if I'm not retarded enough to try something similar in this game

frajaq fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 30, 2017

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Aranan posted:

Are there any halfway decent beginner decks that aren't monsters? I played a bit of Wild Hunt and Dagon weather a while back and want something new, but I've apparently forgotten how to play this game and I'm losing all the time. I have tried a NG spy deck and a ST spell deck, but I barely know how the darn things work let alone what my opponents are doing.

DWARVES

are really simple and straightforward and they are super strong

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I went 9 and 1 with the spellatel netdeck tonight, the one I lost was me throwing. It's kinda unfair but it felt great, high five to whoever thought the new Stammelfords was a good idea

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
The new Stammelford's is a conditional Yennefer with carryover. It's...ridiculous.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what are people's views on CDPR wanting to make some esports stuff/events for Gwent? Like it was obviously coming a mile away but are people interested in that sort of stuff?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

So what are people's views on CDPR wanting to make some esports stuff/events for Gwent? Like it was obviously coming a mile away but are people interested in that sort of stuff?

Will be fun to watch, at least the last tournaments had some good stuff. Pro Ladder starts this Friday officially so it's going to be interesting to see how popular it gets, and if those folk that all grinded to 4.2k at the end of the season will enjoying it once they find out that there isn't any actual reward, other than competing for a spot on Open/Challenger. Though Pro Ladder might end up more diverse than regular one, due to players having to use all 5 factions if they want to actually get anywhere.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I'm really excited about all of these changes and new cards.
Granted I'm a Monsters/Dwarves player who avoided Skellige because Herald was bad, so I'm probably satan and the patch is likely bad.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

Will be fun to watch, at least the last tournaments had some good stuff. Pro Ladder starts this Friday officially so it's going to be interesting to see how popular it gets, and if those folk that all grinded to 4.2k at the end of the season will enjoying it once they find out that there isn't any actual reward, other than competing for a spot on Open/Challenger. Though Pro Ladder might end up more diverse than regular one, due to players having to use all 5 factions if they want to actually get anywhere.

I'd be a bit worried about queue times in the pro ladder. The legend ladder works in Hearthstone because the game has millions of players, so even the very top is thousands strong. This game has probably about 500k, with maybe a few percent of them at 4.2k and above.

The decision to lock the pro ladder for the whole season was stupid. Anyone who reaches 4.2k or whatever the limit is should be able to join at any time.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Double Bill posted:

I'd be a bit worried about queue times in the pro ladder. The legend ladder works in Hearthstone because the game has millions of players, so even the very top is thousands strong. This game has probably about 500k, with maybe a few percent of them at 4.2k and above.

The decision to lock the pro ladder for the whole season was stupid. Anyone who reaches 4.2k or whatever the limit is should be able to join at any time.

It's rank 21 now, unless they changed their opinion. Which is significantly worse than just getting to 4.2k.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
not gonna lie

not sure what they were thinking with the stammelford's tremors changes

i suspect that there will be a hotfix soon

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Dwarves seem good this patch.
I want to build Radovid again now that golds can be killed, but I have no idea how to start it.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

General Morden posted:

not gonna lie

not sure what they were thinking with the stammelford's tremors changes

i suspect that there will be a hotfix soon

I think they were trying to make spell decks not just hit empty boards anymore and wanted them to get some units out at least from a spell.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone know some good new decks post patch with monsters or skellige?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

MarshyMcFly posted:

It turns out KAMBI is back for Skellige if you love a great troll deck. You can eat the golden rooster with a bloodcurdling roar, and when the board is reset you'll only be 5 points behind (they get Hemdall, but you get a bear now). There are videos popping up of people having success with Kambi/Queensguard decks, just save 1 priestess of freya in your hand for use after the Kambi to summon up the whole Queensguard again. https://clips.twitch.tv/OptimisticCourageousQueleaRalpherZ

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

MarshyMcFly posted:

Monsters feels a bit rough at the moment, but there's potential in a Deathwish deck with the new cards.
Old Speartip is an MVP gold with the changes to the game, but monsters were sidegraded so hard it's difficult to judge what's effective.

Saying even that I'm probably lying, optimized Monsters will defiantly be less potent than they were last patch.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Flipswitch posted:

Wow Menno got a probably deserved nerf but I love that card.

Menno had to be changed; with Infiltrators and with even the nerfed-to-gently caress Letho being vulnerable now, he would have been way too overpowered with his old ability. His new one is still quite powerful, given that with an Infiltrator he can nuke any enemy unit (even golds).

Infiltrator + Treason is also a potentially interesting combo...

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

dennyk posted:

Menno had to be changed; with Infiltrators and with even the nerfed-to-gently caress Letho being vulnerable now, he would have been way too overpowered with his old ability. His new one is still quite powerful, given that with an Infiltrator he can nuke any enemy unit (even golds).

Infiltrator + Treason is also a potentially interesting combo...

Infiltrator+Treason sadly isn't that good. The problem being that Treason bronze and str cap is way too lame, you might as well run Nauzica Calvary and hit 7 str units that you flip with Infiltrator.

Having fun with Fringilla instead of Treason, while we remain in scorch/gigni offseason. Though once those are back, silver slots for NG spies will look pretty much the same as they were before. Peter, Assire, Cantarella, Joachim, Roach, but now with Caellach instead of Vanhemar, or Auckes instead of Roach if you're an extremely boring person.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I've never been a big fan of cards that have too many necessary conditions to be useful and Treason suffers from that. Your target needs to be spying, bronze, and 10 strength or less. It often requires another card entirely just to set up, and a spying unit that you mark for theft can be boosted over 10 value to deny the play you just set up. It's just too easy to be stuck with Treason as a completely dead card in round 3 or only being able to pull over a junk 2 strength bronze spy of your own. Why it can't target silver spies is a mystery. Cantarella was already boosed to 11 value, so you wouldn't be able to grab her as is.

It is the most liberating feeling to not give a poo poo about Roach or Imperial Golems in my opening draws. You can actually look for cards you want instead of focusing entirely on things you need to get rid of.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I got up to like 4400 but then started loving around and trying weird stuff, ended the season like 4050, do I get access to the pro ladder?

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

EvanTH posted:

I got up to like 4400 but then started loving around and trying weird stuff, ended the season like 4050, do I get access to the pro ladder?

Yeah if you were at 4400 you'd be rank 20 which is enough.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Has anyone played with Tuirseach Veteran? It looks fun but I doubt it can out do the sheer value that just playing queensguard gets, while still being just as vulnerable to getting dunked on by anything that touches your graveyard. I guess let's less vulnerable to tremors and lacerate...?

E: Every time I look at a card in Skellige that would be strong against tremors I just imagine a sage using thunder to remove that minion instead...

It took them like 3 or 4 nerfs total to understand how good Priestess of Freya was in the beta, and then they basically printed an arguably better version of the card for ST. Sage should at least banish the cards it resurrects.

Minera fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 30, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

Has anyone played with Tuirseach Veteran? It looks fun but I doubt it can out do the sheer value that just playing queensguard gets, while still being just as vulnerable to getting dunked on by anything that touches your graveyard. I guess let's less vulnerable to tremors and lacerate...?

E: Every time I look at a card in Skellige that would be strong against tremors I just imagine a sage using thunder to remove that minion instead...

It took them like 3 or 4 nerfs total to understand how good Priestess of Freya was in the beta, and then they basically printed an arguably better version of the card for ST. Sage should at least banish the cards it resurrects.

I don't think Sage or Tremors are the big culprits, but Elven Mercenary which makes it very easy for ST to start pumping Elementals, and then CDPR's bizarro love for Dol Blathana Defenders.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Electronico6 posted:

I don't think Sage or Tremors are the big culprits, but Elven Mercenary which makes it very easy for ST to start pumping Elementals, and then CDPR's bizarro love for Dol Blathana Defenders.

funnily enough mercs wouldn't be a problem if they weren't nerfed to 1 str

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

General Morden posted:

funnily enough mercs wouldn't be a problem if they weren't nerfed to 1 str

Yeah that was what I was thinking. I find new tremors a fun if odd card, but ST has one too many tools and to many cheap ways to generate Elementals, while for other factions it requires a lot more setup. That they can do it by themselves without your input is maybe a bit too much.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fix it by making Ithlinne a 2 power spy

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Electronico6 posted:

Infiltrator+Treason sadly isn't that good. The problem being that Treason bronze and str cap is way too lame, you might as well run Nauzica Calvary and hit 7 str units that you flip with Infiltrator.

Yeah, Treason should really work on silvers at least (not golds, though, that'd just be silly).

Letho really needs some fixing as well; he no longer has any value when used on your side, other than to make a bigger Igni/Scorch/Dbomb target (and maybe even kill one of your active units if you don't have a good place to put him), and his limited value when used offensively is now entirely dependent on combining him with one of a few other specific silver or gold cards. Trading two golds or a gold and a silver for two dead units (that have to be adjacent to each other, to boot) is kind of a lovely deal.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Can anyone recommend me a good Eredin deck? Is Wild Hunt an Actual Archetype nowadays?

Currently using this:

Eradin

Imlerith
Caranthir
Ge'Els
Caretaker

Nithral
Jotunn
Morvudd

Wild Hunter Rider -3
Wild Hunter Warrior -3
Wild Hunt Hound - 3
Wild Hunt Longship - 1
Wild Hunt Navigator - 2
Dorregaray

Biting Frost - 3
White Frost
Artefact Compression

Also why are Collection and Deck Creator different sections :psyduck:

Azran fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 31, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Gotta say of all the obnoxious low-skill cancer decks the new scoiatel is the worst i've ever seen.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 31, 2017

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It's strange that wild hunt hound is aretuza adept but worse, WH longship is kaedweni seige support but way worse and WH rider is essentially ancient foglet but harder to get value from.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think almost all of NR's bronzes were worse versions of other cards last patch so I'll just ask monsters to deal with it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

No Wave posted:

Gotta say of all the obnoxious low-skill cancer decks the new scoiatel is the worst i've ever seen.

We'll see how it plays out, but I wont lie it's horrible when peoples turns last less then a second because the strategy is just "play any card , get value".