Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Fusion Restaurant posted:

The tiers are literally just one dudes comment from when the sheet was originally posted. I'd tend to ignore it.

Yeah. But every time the sheet gets introduced to a new person "ignore the tiers" needs to be repeated so they can hear it. That's why I'm like a broken record on that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012
I really like this game however starting zone 2 i can see how this game will descend into unrelenting grind.

I'm lucky one of my first Llama gave me Mythic Ramerez and a Legendary Assault, she is super OP with that cluster grenade spam.

Is there a goon group on Xbox? Didn't see anything in the OP and pubs are loving terrible building 6 story skyscraper castles for a ride the lightning when a simple pyramid will do at lower levels. I joined someones storm shield and the guy had literally spammed wooden structures through the entire zone which made it an absolute poo poo show to defend.

I've yet to see anyone other than myself use the sandwich building block(half floor, staircase, wall) to keep them out.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am in the third zone and I love the game has much has ever.

In the third zone leveling your commander becomes a second priority (for me), is acquiring materials to evolve heroes and survivors where the grind lies. And is a fun grind.

Today I tried a heroe with pistol bonus with a secondary giving pistol bonus. Fun stuff.

Some subclass in this game feel almost like what would be a different class in other game.

One great source of XP is SSD, I do of these has much has I can, many of them give fat rewards.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm just logging in to collect and spend research points until they release an endless mode.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Pretty sure there is a big update in a couple of days with new content including a survival mode among other things.

Yeah, August 29th apparently.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/survive-the-storm-arrives

Edit: For some reason, the survival mode is limited time only?!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dravs posted:

Pretty sure there is a big update in a couple of days with new content including a survival mode among other things.

Yeah, August 29th apparently.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/survive-the-storm-arrives

Endless mode sounds good, only going to be active for a month doesn't seem like the greatest idea with the dearth of content.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

... dearth of content.

I'm noticing a theme with this game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If the patch really include new content other than the time limited new gamemode and the new weaponset, I will be happy, but I don't expect it.

Exploring the collection book is amazing how much weapon types we got. The snake is eating itself in some parts where a weapon type breaks in two different weapons (this happen a lot with the laser or space-age-ish weapons). So some weapons types are not 1 but 2 weapons type.

Yesterday I got a science fiction-y weapon that looks like a "do it yourself" weapon made of wood and a tube. Hold 19 shots (thanks to perks), uses medium ammo and it says to pierce multiple targets.

Don't have a durability perk, but the +mag perks seems to have a effect in durability (maybe?), It make me happy to have a pistol with medium ammo. So now I have a pistol with heavy ammo, one with medium ammo, and other that use shotgun shells. This + the outlander that give a bonus to pistols is very interesting. I have not done real test, but if it works as advertised (+29% damage for pistols) is kinda awesome. Having multiple pistols of different types gives a lot of flexibility.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

I have not done real test, but if it works as advertised (+29% damage for pistols) is kinda awesome.
I'm not saying it does it this way, but you need to be careful about any kind of +% damage in this game with the way the Offense stat works. That +% could mean +x% overall damage (multiplicative), or it could mean +x Offense (+% applied to base damage).

It's the same reason +% damage is seen as a bad perk on guns, because apparently that's the latter.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

I'm not saying it does it this way, but you need to be careful about any kind of +% damage in this game with the way the Offense stat works. That +% could mean +x% overall damage (multiplicative), or it could mean +x Offense (+% applied to base damage).

It's the same reason +% damage is seen as a bad perk on guns, because apparently that's the latter.

Yay. I hope some youtuber do some real test about this, because thats usually how these things are made clear.

Yesterday I watched a video of a dude that say survivors perks are really just fort stats. So +5% on weapon damage is really like having a survivor level 25 instead of a survivor level 20. Except traps durability, traps durability don't have a fort perk for it, so is nice to use survivors to increase the durability of traps.

This game need a balance patch. But is going to be complex with 1 million players and people emptying their pockets making some decisions with the current stats. Like... Defenders are about the most useless thing I have seen in a videogame in many years. Had they follow you, or use their own ammo, or not count for the cap, they would be fun.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 25, 2017

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

Yesterday I watched a video of a dude that say survivors perks are really just fort stats. So +5% on weapon damage is really like having a survivor level 25 instead of a survivor level 20. Except traps durability, traps durability don't have a fort perk for it, so is nice to use survivors to increase the durability of traps.
It's actually worth less than +5 Offense, because a real +5 Offense would give you both melee and ranged damage and who knows what else, whereas the survivor perks only give one side.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

It's actually worth less than +5 Offense, because a real +5 Offense would give you both melee and ranged damage and who knows what else, whereas the survivor perks only give one side.

Survivors stats are very basic and not well trough.

Like Baby first RPG stats from somebody that did not really had the time to research deeper.

They can always give us some patch that revisit these stats and make them make more sense. Somewhat like "Damage 2.0" for warframe or like that. Patches that rewrite a whole subsystem to make it better and include interesting decisions.

The most dumb thing is the ability grid, is all shows as almost no decision has meaning, and you still have to get everything because you need N points to unlock further goals. If I am a ninja and I have no interest in soldier, why I still have to unlock soldier related stuff so my advanced ninja nodes unlock?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

The most dumb thing is the ability grid, is all shows as almost no decision has meaning, and you still have to get everything because you need N points to unlock further goals. If I am a ninja and I have no interest in soldier, why I still have to unlock soldier related stuff so my advanced ninja nodes unlock?
You'd likely want to go through it all anyway because there are still survivor slot unlocks spread throughout all the way through tier 4, and that's still probably the best bang for your buck outside of evolution unlocks for the things you care about.

Survivors are cancer.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Survivors/survivor squads as a mechanic are fine, as long as you're regularly getting more of them to burn so you can continue leveling and upgrading them to significantly boost your FORT stats (though the evolutionary material requirements are indeed pure cancer, I'll agree there). Defenders though - those are insta-burn for (piddling amounts of) hero xp. Incredibly useless feature. A simple wall with spikes on it is 10x more effective than a defender, and likely costs you fewer resources in the end.

Hoping this upcoming event (limited time? what the gently caress, why?) will be suitably fun. Had a bunch of friends already drop the game from the mobile-f2p-tier levels of p2w, and a bunch more who only log in for daily rewards / research.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Survivors are a way to (massively) dilute the reward pool. That's it.

There might be an interesting mini game of optimizing them. I know I've spent dumb amounts of time futzing with them to try to maximize my numbers, and I didn't exactly hate all of it.

But it's a minigame that's way out of place in the fast and intuitive builder/shooter thing the game is trying to be. And there are also very few interesting choices. It's just a math problem that's completely solvable.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Survivors are less player-fucky than armor pieces, because you don't need to roll a legendary offense plate boots, you just need to roll a legendary survivor.

And there's no way that we're getting a Fortnite without FORT stats, because that's the primary vehicle to pad whale ego. All whales might not have the mathematical savvy to figure out if their new legendary is 60% or only 20% more effective than a perkless weapon, but all of them (even any literal kids with a $50 per month budget, if such a whale exists) can tell that their stat score is higher and better than the people they play with.

So, I'm just saying that survivors are already not as poo poo as the comparable item in most freemium games.

What is uniquely poo poo about them is that they go into the same people llamas as survivors. Usually there's a "hero only" pull, but Fortnite doesn't have one at all.

ADDING:

sushibandit posted:

Survivors/survivor squads as a mechanic are fine, as long as you're regularly getting more of them to burn so you can continue leveling and upgrading them to significantly boost your FORT stats (though the evolutionary material requirements are indeed pure cancer, I'll agree there). Defenders though - those are insta-burn for (piddling amounts of) hero xp. Incredibly useless feature. A simple wall with spikes on it is 10x more effective than a defender, and likely costs you fewer resources in the end.

Hoping this upcoming event (limited time? what the gently caress, why?) will be suitably fun. Had a bunch of friends already drop the game from the mobile-f2p-tier levels of p2w, and a bunch more who only log in for daily rewards / research.

"Medium Survivor Caches" from expeditions have a chance to give epic rarity survivors. The small caches can give blues. So there is a regular supply of them if you've got a few spare, leveled heroes.

I wouldn't plan on the pattern holding true to the large caches (and also the expedition power requirements for those are pretty hosed), but it might?

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 25, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I'm just logging in to collect and spend research points until they release an endless mode.

Same, I haven't played an actual mission in like 2 weeks. It takes so drat long because everyone spends 45 minutes looting.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Popete posted:

Same, I haven't played an actual mission in like 2 weeks. It takes so drat long because everyone spends 45 minutes looting.

I've just started building around the objective and starting the mission on my own without checking to see if they are ready. Usually works out.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I don't mind 45m of dinking around looting building rooftops - but Shield Defense missions are my bane because there's like zero chance you can get automatic help. Make them soloable w/ defenders and decent base planning ok :/

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The update notes and Dev video look promising. I'm definitely interested to see where they go and what's gonna change.

Probably one of those make or break kind of things, really.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

Survivors are a way to (massively) dilute the reward pool. That's it.

There might be an interesting mini game of optimizing them. I know I've spent dumb amounts of time futzing with them to try to maximize my numbers, and I didn't exactly hate all of it.

But it's a minigame that's way out of place in the fast and intuitive builder/shooter thing the game is trying to be. And there are also very few interesting choices. It's just a math problem that's completely solvable.

They are just so boring, like they are all flat stat bonuses, maybe you get a set that gives you a slightly higher stat bonus there is no builds or interesting interaction or anything.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

One of my friends bought the "I have more money than dignity" package and gifted me the free basic version. He has gone on to spend what I estimate is probably close to a grand on llamas. One of his new boyfriends he met in game said he has spent $3k, and another $10k on Star Citizen. Good lord people.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I bought the 150 edition because I knew I would be sharing it. Luckily I haven't, and they haven't spent any additional funds on llamas

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Lakedaimon posted:

One of my friends bought the "I have more money than dignity" package and gifted me the free basic version. He has gone on to spend what I estimate is probably close to a grand on llamas. One of his new boyfriends he met in game said he has spent $3k, and another $10k on Star Citizen. Good lord people.

(stolen from other thread)

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 26, 2017

Tilda
Jun 27, 2013
Is this game worth trying? Just had a baby so the idea of shooting stuff up and building stuff but for a semi-limited period of time appeals.
But that said, the reviews are terrible and the grind sounds horrendous. Anybody got a spare lovely version they fancy gifting?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Tilda posted:

Anybody got a spare lovely version they fancy gifting?

Most people are selling cheap copies, yes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lakedaimon posted:

what the gently caress

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what the gently caress

I wanted to post a "good, I wish I were even in a financial situation that allowed me to do such a thing" at which point I realized that probably a lot of people that whale aren't. :(

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tilda posted:

Is this game worth trying? Just had a baby so the idea of shooting stuff up and building stuff but for a semi-limited period of time appeals.
But that said, the reviews are terrible and the grind sounds horrendous. Anybody got a spare lovely version they fancy gifting?

Probably not. It grubs for money harder than poo poo like Clash of Clans and has a lack of content and variety in the "early" (first 20 hours) of the game. Its worst feature, imo, is that the game is just way too loving easy. Theres no challenge to it at all. So unless you really like grinding for months and clicking on slow dumb targets dont bother.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Tilda posted:

If you don't already know that this game is for you because it's going to fill a very niche hole in your game line-up, there are better games.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Great Beer posted:

Probably not. It grubs for money harder than poo poo like Clash of Clans and has a lack of content and variety in the "early" (first 20 hours) of the game. Its worst feature, imo, is that the game is just way too loving easy. Theres no challenge to it at all. So unless you really like grinding for months and clicking on slow dumb targets dont bother.

Difficulty does ramp up once you start having many things to defend and lots of lobbers and propane guys, but honestly some of that difficulty is the fact that pubbies get stupider.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Yea, difficulty slowly ramp up. Is always manageable with a good group, but things get complicated with randoms. The first two areas are more like a long disability ramp than some stairs.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Survive the Storm update is out. There's a warning when you do the survive missions that the 14 day ones can (will) take four hours. And if you beat a level 70 survival you get a legendary hero of your choice from the 4 new ones. Also a new set of weapons and new llamas and poo poo

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/survive-the-storm---release-notes

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BASE not needing permissions is huge. I felt so useless when helping other people.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Bakalakadaka posted:

Survive the Storm update is out. There's a warning when you do the survive missions that the 14 day ones can (will) take four hours. And if you beat a level 70 survival you get a legendary hero of your choice from the 4 new ones. Also a new set of weapons and new llamas and poo poo

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/survive-the-storm---release-notes

While this certainly is a reason to git gud... 4 hours seems more like an endurance match than anything. I'm not a teenager anymore...

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Skandranon posted:

4 hours seems more like an endurance match than anything. I'm not a teenager anymore...

My take as well. The rewards for some of them look pretty good (a legendary hero, mythic survivor), but sitting through (possibly multiple) missions measured in hours seems really tedious.

Unnecessary tedium seems to be this game's big stumbling block, though. I get the grind when it comes to the F2P side of things, but a lot of tedious mechanics affect areas you couldn't buy your way out of even if you wanted to. Ammo crafting, crafting in general, resource gathering, daily missions... It all feels a little too heavy-handed.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

LuciferMorningstar posted:

My take as well. The rewards for some of them look pretty good (a legendary hero, mythic survivor), but sitting through (possibly multiple) missions measured in hours seems really tedious.

Unnecessary tedium seems to be this game's big stumbling block, though. I get the grind when it comes to the F2P side of things, but a lot of tedious mechanics affect areas you couldn't buy your way out of even if you wanted to. Ammo crafting, crafting in general, resource gathering, daily missions... It all feels a little too heavy-handed.

They don't seem interested in fixing any of that either, in fact their patch path is just confusing they continue to nerf anything that is good/popular. Like they went out of their way to remove durability rolls from explosive weapons because they were highly sought after, but left in rolls like crit on traps that literally don't do anything. They also continue to badly nerf heroes without much warning and in a game where you can only afford to max out a few heroes that is a lovely thing to do without some sort of refund.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Fwiw, out of the 10 trap cards I've looted since patch, I haven't seen crit/dmg/chance or dmg% on launcher traps.

Also: my missile launcher is easily doing 3 times more damage since patch. Not sure why they didn't document this.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

That survival mode sounds pretty awesome actually. Going 4 hours seems a little over-board though, I think a solid hour and half to 2 hours should be really the max time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

STS is pretty fun and good overall, but I'd be absolutely sure to craft a few set of backup weapons, completely fill up on ammo, and stock up on everything else before starting a round. I played through the 3-day rank 40 mission and it burned through ~18k rounds of ammo and all of my crafting materials. Probably didn't help that the 3 pubbies were all rating 20 in a drat rating 40 mission.

I legitimately don't know how a group could physically stock up on enough supplies to last a 14-day match unless they had a dedicated outlander spending the entire time running around collecting stuff, and even in that case you'd eventually run out of ammo and the supplies to craft more. Maybe relying on extreme kill tunnels with lots of traps to take care of all the fodder? Will be interesting to see how people handle it.

Also of note:
* no bonus objectives
* it took almost an hour to play the 3-day mission
* rewards were 200 tickets and 2 green weapon schematics

• Locked thread