Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The single player gets you experimenting with the major weapon archetypes, check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Holy crap, last ditch effort is broken good in turf wars.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Ugh mothership sucks with the aerospray

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Ugh mothership sucks with the aerospray splatterscope and literally no one else is shooting it

Troof

Edit: Oh how I love profressional griller rounds where I'm the splatterscope! Not only can I barely hit the sweet spot on the grillers, my team lets me clean up all the smallfry while doing it!

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 31, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Escobarbarian posted:

I just use whatever clothing I haven't levelled up yet

:yeah:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/SplatNetStore/status/903075141856387072
The Painter's Mask typically comes with cold-blooded as a main. I've been looking for something more useful.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not an empty quote.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

man I was practically soloing the mothership with the splatterscope earlier, it's really good

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

Gimme a good build to use with the Classic Squiffer. I'm finally getting a feel for it and might make it my main, but want to know good abilities for it beyond the usual useful stuff (run, swim speed up). What's some good stuff to consider?

Anything with lots of Special Charge Up or Tenacity will be good because Ink Armor is an amazing special weapon. Beyond that, consider Ink Resistance Up since you'll be pretty close to the thick of things, as well as either Ink Saver Sub or Sub Power Up because you'll need your Point Sensor to keep from getting jumped. Ink Recovery Up is also good, as it is on everything.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

so is the sloshing machine's gimmick just being a worse version of the regular slosher except with a worse special? it feels like i could use the regular slosher or even the rapid blaster and do the same thing as this

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

EightFlyingCars posted:

Anything with lots of Special Charge Up or Tenacity will be good because Ink Armor is an amazing special weapon. Beyond that, consider Ink Resistance Up since you'll be pretty close to the thick of things, as well as either Ink Saver Sub or Sub Power Up because you'll need your Point Sensor to keep from getting jumped. Ink Recovery Up is also good, as it is on everything.

I'll roll with that for a bit and see how it goes. Cheers!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Saboteurs in Salmon Run are awful. Thanks for taking an egg and then running away from the egg basket when we were 1 away from winning you loving rear end in a top hat. The worst part is that you can't report them since Splat Net doesn't keep track of Salmon Run shifts.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

mabels big day posted:

so is the sloshing machine's gimmick just being a worse version of the regular slosher except with a worse special? it feels like i could use the regular slosher or even the rapid blaster and do the same thing as this

It fires faster and in a unique ark. It also has the blaster's critical hit mechanic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Night Blade posted:

It fires faster and in a unique ark. It also has the blaster's critical hit mechanic.

It's definitely not as powerful as the blaster, I've hit many people with direct hits and they can eat at least one before splatting.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Night Blade posted:

It's also more effective at a close range than a blaster, since if you graze an enemy squid with it you'll still deal damage.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i feel like for the purpose of getting crits i would rather play the blaster or rapid blaster and for everything else I'd rather use a regular or tri-slosher because the close range damage sucks too.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

mabels big day posted:

i feel like for the purpose of getting crits i would rather play the blaster or rapid blaster and for everything else I'd rather use a regular or tri-slosher because the close range damage sucks too.

Regular slosher fires very slowly and in a close range fight, you can lose against someone really quickly.

The Tri Slosher is the godking dumb weapon that's better than anything else, so it's not really fair to compare it to that.

quote:

It's definitely not as powerful as the blaster, I've hit many people with direct hits and they can eat at least one before splatting.

It's about as powerful as the critical hit from the ranged blaster in that it's not going to get a one shot kill unless the person is damaged.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Sloshing Machine has a bit more range than the Slosher, but it fires slower than the Slosher so you shouldn't be trying to get in people's faces so much. The impact does over 70 damage and the spread at the point of impact is pretty generously sized and does upwards of 30 damage. Treat it like a tiny mortar. It's great on Tower Control but I think most players are gonna appreciate the Slosher or Tri-Slosher more in other modes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The extra range and the fact you don't need to get a direct hit mean it's real good at area denial and is hard to approach. If you're smart with it, you can make it very difficulty for enemies to make it through choke points to where they need to be. You can keep enemies away from splat zones and the rainmaker for a surprisingly long time, especially against popular short-ranged weapons like the octo brush, tried slosher, and sploosh-o-matic. If the ~meta~ shifts towards more long-range weapons it could lose some effectiveness, but as it is I think it's a super strong consideration.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Just had the most glorious sneaky KO in Sturgeon Shipyard Rainmaker. I died early but my team managed to splat the entire enemy team and everyone was basically preparing for defense when I caught up. I grab the rainmaker since it was open and nobody else seemed to want to and absolute bro Wakana immediately inks up the little block that lets you jump up to the enemy side path (the right side from the spawn)

I follow their lead and hop after them while the enemy rushes off in the opposite direction where the rest of our team is pushing forward and we grab the win with the enemy almost none the wiser.

Playing ranked with randoms can make you want to tear your hair out sometimes, but when you get that team synergy it is ohhhh so sweet

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Saboteurs in Salmon Run are awful. Thanks for taking an egg and then running away from the egg basket when we were 1 away from winning you loving rear end in a top hat. The worst part is that you can't report them since Splat Net doesn't keep track of Salmon Run shifts.

You can at least block people so you don't get matched up with them again.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Sloshing Machine has a bit more range than the Slosher, but it fires slower than the Slosher so you shouldn't be trying to get in people's faces so much. The impact does over 70 damage and the spread at the point of impact is pretty generously sized and does upwards of 30 damage. Treat it like a tiny mortar. It's great on Tower Control but I think most players are gonna appreciate the Slosher or Tri-Slosher more in other modes.

Sloshing machine is a binary check. Do they have 3 ink resistance?
Y- They get away and live
N- Dead

The point of the weapon isn't that its range is phenomenal or that it does a ton of damage, it creates a giant zone if your ink at their feet when you shoot them. It's my favorite weapon because it locks people in place above all else.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Sub Power Up is one of those abilities that aren't necessary to have. For most subs it'll just give you a longer range, which is useful at some situations, but not something that really demands it. So what could it possibly offer to the Beakon?

The ability for anyone to super jump to them more quickly. Basically one main Sub Power Up translates to one main Quick Super Jump on the Beakon. That's an intriguing feature and something that could make a difference in some games.

There's even a video comparing the results although it's in Japanese - but you can clearly see the test results.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I played a few rounds of Splatoon 1 and didn't like it. As I said before I bought this mostly because of the great OP, but holy moly. I was blind but now I see. With the addition of motion controls I can actually aim at a not-terrible level! I run out of ink a lot, so I bought two pieces of early gear with main weapon ink saver, and one for ink refilling, and now I can just run around inking stuff for team flight!

This game is beautiful.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jade Mage posted:

I played a few rounds of Splatoon 1 and didn't like it. As I said before I bought this mostly because of the great OP, but holy moly. I was blind but now I see. With the addition of motion controls I can actually aim at a not-terrible level! I run out of ink a lot, so I bought two pieces of early gear with main weapon ink saver, and one for ink refilling, and now I can just run around inking stuff for team flight!

This game is beautiful.

The first game had motion controls too. But yes it is a good game.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Saint Freak posted:

The first game had motion controls too. But yes it is a good game.

He must've had them turned off when I played, but that said I only played for like a half hour.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Just finished some turf war games with a god-level player. He was level 50 and used the classic squiffer. He single-handedly won the game for his lovely team. In his first game he didn't die once. Really impressive to see the skill some people have.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/PKfuzzy/status/903307452141232129

Nintendo release the dogfight mode

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

Tellaris posted:

I love taking the Krak-on roller into turf wars, rolling into enemy territory, then popping the hamster ball while enemies start shooting me and peacing out. A lot of times people will think you are running away because you are scared or something and chase you, letting you hide around a corner and pop on them when they chase you down :devil:

I do the same thing but with the .52 cal, so I also get the benefit of getting some good range out of my shots and often kill people who are actively shooting me at the same time. I can take my time and aim better and take them out faster than they take me and then do the same ball trick you do. The coverage is legit too - better than I would have expected. It's great for throwing down a line of paint and swimming out fast to any destination. It's loving perfect doing this on map with all of the hallways and walls. I'm too high and brain farting on the name, but I can immediately get to the other side and pop people who have no idea how I got there so fast while soaking the joint up and there are shitloads of corners to do the ball splat fun. Life is good.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 1, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

raditts posted:

It doesn't even make the impact spots larger? Lame. It seems pretty worthless in inkjet too, I swear I hit motherfuckers right in their face multiple times with that thing sometimes and they just shrug it right off.

Only one that seems useful is the splashdown to make the impact zone bigger, and even then somehow it can be blocked by brellas which is high grade bullshit.

If people have hacked the switch already, maybe they can put their abilities to good and hack up a way to backup save data.

I would imagine it is far far easier at this stage to sniff the p2p netcode going out between a few devices in a home and then craft packets to spam inject than it would be to hack the switch at this moment. Trivial almost even.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does the splatfest start tonight or tomorrow?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
It's generally 24 hours starting Saturday. I would assume it would be the same.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shooting other inkjets out of the sky with an inkjet is my favorite thing

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lots of good chargers out tonight.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

it runs friday evening to saturday evening, as it is the squid sabbath

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gettin' real fuckin sick of Splatoon 2 blaming me for its lovely connection errors.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah iirc Splatfest is Fri-Sat for America and Sat-Sun for Europe.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

US is 9PM PST on Friday.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/903542031267446784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Forge Splattershot Pro comes today at 19:00 PT. Set includes Suction Bombs and the long awaited Bubble Launcher special.