Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Ok I haven't had a chance to play since the patch until now but ST is positively stupid. Hey, we want to eliminate big finisher cards that build up to 15-20 over three rounds so we added two cards that build up to at least 15-20 over the course of a single round and can't be alzur'ed. Oh also if you want you can play 6 in one game where half have an extra 3 power just for fun. Also, tremors is now nearly as good as yen and you can play 8 in one game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
You can tell that the biggest goals of this patch were to lessen the impact of carryover and remove gold immunity to lessen protected card values.

So naturally they reworked Stammelford's Tremors to helpfully spams carryover value inside damage protected units. Why does this card spawn Earth Elemental and not a generic token unit? Why does Earth Elemental still have a shield on it all?

Thanks Swim, we made it a whole 24 hours into a new patch before you released this mess onto your netdecking fanbase.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

are we still complaining about netdecks in 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
All these complaints are why I wait until a game is out of beta before I sink any time or commitment to it. I'm cool with this super oppressive meta because in almost every patch there has been a completely dominant deck. I'm waiting until the game is actually released before I start to care about what CDPR does about balance. I know ST will get fixed and I really love the progress CDPR has been making.

Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008
I'm not sure how good it is yet, but my deathwish monsters deck is the most fun I've had in this game. I've won the two games i've played with it but I feel like my deck isn't anywhere near maximum potential yet.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I sympathize, but when i can play a vrihedd officer and gain 18 points in 1 turn i dont care haha gently caress you all i spent 3 months grinding against the worst poo poo now its my time to be the cancer

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

ShowTime posted:

All these complaints are why I wait until a game is out of beta before I sink any time or commitment to it. I'm cool with this super oppressive meta because in almost every patch there has been a completely dominant deck. I'm waiting until the game is actually released before I start to care about what CDPR does about balance. I know ST will get fixed and I really love the progress CDPR has been making.

:yeah:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Subvisual Haze posted:

You can tell that the biggest goals of this patch were to lessen the impact of carryover and remove gold immunity to lessen protected card values.

So naturally they reworked Stammelford's Tremors to helpfully spams carryover value inside damage protected units. Why does this card spawn Earth Elemental and not a generic token unit? Why does Earth Elemental still have a shield on it all?

Thanks Swim, we made it a whole 24 hours into a new patch before you released this mess onto your netdecking fanbase.
I didn't even consider the farseer dol blathanna protector interaction pre-release which is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

You really can't blame Swim for this, it wasn't difficult. Scoia'spell was allegedly frustrating to players because there were no units to remove, so they gave Scoia'tel a bunch of free units stapled to the same spells and some better ones (while those spells all also got a huge buff by hitting golds as well).

Then a ton of broken mechanics were added on TOP of that, you get the great experience of a unit tutoring a spell that generates another unit and then buffs units in your deck and then because they got buffed a unit on your board is buffed. And all of these cards are bronzes.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 31, 2017

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
playing spell ST is a lot like playing hearthstone so if you liked that game play the deck

lots of removal and minions that stick on the board!

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

General Morden posted:

playing spell ST is a lot like playing hearthstone

so totally random, skill-less and frustrating?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Be nice to swim, he's a silly and silly looking man

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

swim is probably the best thing about gwent tbh

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I've won a couple games from using adrenaline rush (now targets golds) on tibor (now strengthens). Cute trick! Could also be funny to use adrenaline rush on yennefer: the conjurer or harald or any other gold with a constant effect...

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I'm enjoying the patch so far, Spell ST aside, which is so far the only match up that I've seen that I legitimately struggle in getting a handle on the game. Mulligan ST is overtuned but not as miserable to play, and it has clear weakness to it.

Also digging most of the gold changes, and Reddit needs to learn how to play Tibor/Elder/Hjalmar properly again. The one thing I do miss and a place where the game did get poorer was positioning tactics with golds. At least I'm already losing the habit of putting my golds all to the left side of the row.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Drowner and Ice Giants are MVP's now, and that's great because they're two incredibly common cards.
Weather Monsters feels like it has meaningful decisions again.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Chimpiqq is a player who did Avalach bounce Nilfgaurd, spent 20 minutes to play a set and then disconnects the last turn instead of surrendering.
Someone finally did it, someone made me mad at Gwent.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The Gorp posted:

Chimpiqq is a player who did Avalach bounce Nilfgaurd, spent 20 minutes to play a set and then disconnects the last turn instead of surrendering.

Ha, yep pretty much the best way to be a complete rear end in a top hat to your opponent. Wait until the last one second to play every card and then force quit the Gwent app on the last card.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
After playing more cards than otherwise possible.
Both of us were decked by the end.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Just had a fellow NG player Vilge my Ciri in R2. What were you thinking, man? :psyduck:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Again, the incredibly easy solution to let scoia have the cards the devs want to give them is to have sages/eithne give the spells they resurrect doomed. This requires more interesting play instead of making the graveyard an endless pool of whatever you want, stops one copy of overdose from becoming a 5-of, and is a mechanic that did not stop cards in other games from being extremely good. This is the kind of obvious solution that cdpr keeps missing.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
One thing I don't think they really considered with the Vrihedd Vanguard is that the mulligan-triggered effect is very confusing to newer players; it does poo poo that affects the board without the opponent ever being able to see the card that's doing it. Hell, it even confused the gently caress out of me the first few games after the patch when a bunch of my opponent's units were just randomly boosting themselves on a regular basis for no apparent reason that I could see, until I happened to read a Vanguard's text while opening a keg and went "Oooooooh...".

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The Gorp posted:

Don't dox me

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've always wanted to make a NR deck so with the new patch I crafted Natalis, Shani and Dijkstra, and I've been experimenting with Stennis combos and recursion. I think Natalis/Reinforcements/Marching Orders/Stennis/Shani/Trollololo/Nenneke is a really solid core (not necessarily all of those in the one deck), I'm just not sure about the bronzes. I kind of like this line-up the most at the moment.

I tried out Drummers but in two games their random buffs got me Gigni'd hard, plus they seem kind of slow. They also don't have armor and it feels like armor is pretty good at the moment with all the weather and ST spells flying around.

Regarding silvers, Summoning Circle wasn't in the list last night but it's interesting. Over the ten games I played Margarita got crazy value in almost all of them (the reset moreso than the lock). For the golds, I don't have Gigni so I've been using Keira, but out of my other options I think Phillipa would probably work better. I mostly used Keira to restore armor to my Knight-Elects after they were stripped, since having Reaver Scouts in the deck makes it even less likely that a bomb Epidemic moment will present itself, and I have no weather cards to use her first effect.

NR armor has a fun mini-game where you and your opponent constantly try to remove or replace the armor on KEs every turn (or if they're a weather deck they focus intently on what to do about the Redanian Knights). I like the way this deck plays, but I do miss being able to Skellen for my golds in R3 if they're not in hand.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 1, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

One of the depressing ways CDPR does balance is that if a card is run in lots of decks it gets nerfed almost always. So while I'm happy to see my favorite card Keira in almost every NR deck, I know that it means she'll be unjustly nerfed.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

No Wave posted:

One of the depressing ways CDPR does balance is that if a card is run in lots of decks it gets nerfed almost always. So while I'm happy to see my favorite card Keira in almost every NR deck, I know that it means she'll be unjustly nerfed.

in armor NR, keira is probably replaceable with vesemir

like 90% of the time you're using her for thunderbolt potion anyway

and the deck runs enough thunderbolt potions where you'd want to thin them with vesemir

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I'm starting to wonder if I should bring Renew in one of my spygaard gold slots. Menno and G:Igni are the only golds I've felt consistently pleased with.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

If you're playing Foltest, should your T1 play always be Foltest? I can understand if you have cards that spawn units like PFI you might want to delay it but it seems like every Foltest opponent I've ever faced plays him on turn one.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Tuirsearch Skellige is pretty fun, though I'm still trying to figure out an optimal list, especially wrt running Axemen or not. It's really, really funny to watch Lugos elbow drop people for 11-12 damage when you've got a maxed out skirmisher waiting in your deck still.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

pretty much yeah

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kalko posted:

If you're playing Foltest, should your T1 play always be Foltest? I can understand if you have cards that spawn units like PFI you might want to delay it but it seems like every Foltest opponent I've ever faced plays him on turn one.
It's out of habit. The side of board thing is new and people don't know what to do with it yet. It's probably deck dependent.

I've been trying to run stammelford's tremors in NR so I buff my scouts early if I'm playing against another tremor deck and don't buff them until I've tremor'd if I'm not facing a tremor deck. This deck is not good, it runs iris.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

loving hell, seriously what were they thinking with these Mulligan decks?

I'm actually a little curious what has been going on internally at cdpr the last 2 months. I doubt we'll ever get a full story, but it's interesting trying to guess why there was the overly long reign of Dagon followed by an absolutely crazy patch that reworked and released a shitload of cards, kicked certain bronze values into the stratosphere, made a large number of golds functionally useless and left in a mulligan archetype that can tempo 40 points in their first two plays using only bronze cards.

I'm guessing they planned poorly for the big Gamescom tournament, and as a result had to hold off on releasing the post-Dagon patch for several weeks to avoid interfering with the tournament rules about not changing the game 2 weeks before the tournament. Maybe they were hoping to sneak in a fix/patch 2 weeks before the tournament but just missed the deadline. After the tournament I'm guessing they rushed essentially 2 normal patches worth of content out the door in a poorly refined state knowing that the playerbase was desperate for any changes to the meta.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Buffing a few poo poo cards or nerfing a few overplayed cards or making base game tweaks (golds no longer immune) are all good ideas, individually

instead CDPR does all of these things, every patch, so it's hard to tell what impact anything had from mass loving changes everywhere.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

I'm just happy my boy Regis is finally playable. He's got such good voice lines, and he's a great character so I'm stoked I can use him.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

When I mentioned adrenaline rush Tibor before, I can't believe that I didn't think of adrenaline rush Unseen Elder.

I'm wondering if there is any particularly good reason that all the NR armor players are choosing Foltest... I haven't seen any running cards that summon other cards from the deck, so he's just a flat 4 + 13 points ish... seems like it would be more useful to use Radovid for 4 + 12 + 2 locks. I guess Henselt isn't very good since the only kaedwen I remember them playing is just the dun banner heavy cavalry. Henselt's definitely odd now, feels like you should just use him for value to summon a bunch of siege weapons or drummers, as opposed to the previous summon 13ish reavers.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Foltest automatically counters Eskel :shrug:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I've been wondering that myself. I played a bunch of games with Foltest last night and I don't really understand how he's better than Radovid for these kinds of decks. The best I could come up with is that it puts your Knights out of range of an Alzur's Thunder, I guess?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I personally haven't ran into more than literally one person playing Eskel, but I'm still low ranked (10ish), so I've got no idea if that is a big concern in the current netdeck environment. Thankfully, minimal mulligans and zero spellatael down here!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

...Well, this patch was big in the number of changes, we knew it was bounded to be unbalanced as hell.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I think CDPR is right and that the Greatsword skellige dude doesn't need regressing. He never really gets that big that it feels unfair. However my 30+ str ship that I adrenaline rush really does a good job. Skellige never dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Captainicus posted:

I guess Henselt isn't very good since the only kaedwen I remember them playing is just the dun banner heavy cavalry. Henselt's definitely odd now, feels like you should just use him for value to summon a bunch of siege weapons or drummers, as opposed to the previous summon 13ish reavers.

I've found kaedweni siege platform + ballista works well, especially against sizeable low value decks like monsters. Platform - ballista - henselt can get you 8 shots in which can clear the board pretty rapidly if there's not too much armour about.