Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Who we are: Amazon Web Services

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past five years, you have probably heard of us. AWS pretty much invented what is now known as "the cloud" and is on track to generate $13 billion in revenue in 2017.

What we're looking for: Let me be perfectly clear: A Technical Account Manager is NOT a sales role and does not have a quota. If anything, TAMs can be considered Tier-4 post-sales support.

Shamelessly copied from the Amazon Jobs page (the link is for a job posting in Chicago, but the description applies globally):

Would you like join one of the fastest-growing organizations within Amazon Web Services (AWS) and help customers of all industries and sizes gain the best value and service from AWS? At AWS Enterprise Support we’re looking for a Technical Account Manager (TAM) to support our customers’ creative and transformative spirit of innovation across all technologies, including Compute, Storage, Database, Big Data, Application-level services, Networking, Serverless and more. This is not a sales role, but rather an opportunity to be the principal technical advisor and ‘voice of the customer’ to organizations ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 enterprises.

As a TAM, you will help craft and execute strategies to drive our customers’ adoption and use of AWS services, including EC2, S3, DynamoDB & RDS databases, Lamdba and many more. Your technical acumen and customer-facing skills will enable you to effectively represent AWS within a customer’s environment, and drive discussions with senior leadership regarding incidents, trade-offs and risk management. You will provide advocacy and strategic technical guidance to help plan and build solutions using best practices, and proactively keep your customers’ AWS environments operationally healthy. The close relationships developed with your customers will allow you to understand their business/operational needs and technical challenges, and help them achieve the greatest value from AWS.

We are seeking individuals with strong backgrounds in I.T. operations and related areas such as Linux/Windows systems administration, DevOps, Big Data and more. The TAM is our centerpiece of value to our Enterprise Support customers, so if you wish to be at the forefront of innovation, come join us!

What we're not looking for: Unmotivated folks who cannot cope with ambiguity. I cannot stress this enough. There is no time or willingness to hand-hold here. If you see something broken or dumb or just plain sucks, go fix it. As an AWS employee you have the agency to take up issues that bug you and hammer on them until they disappear. We live by the Amazon Leadership Principles and I refer to them daily.

Location: Seattle, WA would be great, but we are hiring worldwide with the opportunity for telecommuting available.

Approximate opening date: Now. We literally cannot get enough TAMs in chairs

Benefits: Health, Dental, 4 weeks PTO, 1 week personal days, and hey, check out AMZN. A few shares of that can't hurt, right?

Notes: I have been a TAM for over three years at AWS and I wouldn't dream of working anywhere else. I work with some ridiculously smart people (let me tell you about the time I interviewed a literal rocket scientist who was applying for a network engineer proposition) and there is always something new to learn or play with on my free AWS account. If you are bored, you aren't trying very hard. Also: AWS still remains the redheaded stepchild of Amazon. Yes, you've read the Atlantic and Times articles about people crying at their desks at Amazon, but these are people working on projects in close proximity to Jeff Bezos. We roll up to Andy Jassy who leaves us pretty much alone because AWS is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That doesn't sound like a TAM?

I've always viewed it as the "liaison" between the company and the customer. They have soft goals for revenue generation but really manage the relationship.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Education: B.A.S. in Computer Technology and Management.

Experience:
1 Year working for a local MSP doing servers, desktops, wifi, and break fix.
2 Years working at the schools computer lab basically being a tutor.

Where: Currently in Florida. Willing to move to wherever you need me.

What I'm looking for: Jr Sysadmin, or Helpdesk, Anything really.

What I'm not: programming, as much as I would like to learn I currently don't have that skill set.

When: Anytime after the solar eclipse

Reqs: Full time.

wargames fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 15, 2017

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Tab8715 posted:

I've always viewed it as the "liaison" between the company and the customer. They have soft goals for revenue generation but really manage the relationship.

You can call it whatever you want, but that is what AWS calls it and the description is what we do. :)

We have no goals for revenue generation. That and relationship management are the Account Manager's responsibility. But we do work to build and foster trust with the customer and advocate for them to internal AWS staff.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Agrikk posted:

I pinged you about this in email.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

mayodreams posted:

I pinged you about this in email.

I got it. Thank you! I'll reply on Monday.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

On the other side of this coin it is very much as described. Titles rarely matter. Features, bugs, limitations, etc all ears by the TAM.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is this one of those roles where need knowledgeable that's "an inch deep and a mile long?".

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Sent you an email.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Is this one of those roles where need knowledgeable that's "an inch deep and a mile long?".

Pretty much. But most TAMs find an area of interest and concentrate there. So it's an inch deep and a mile wide and a mile deep in that one place.

Phuzun posted:

Sent you an email.

Got it. I should be all caught up in emails now, so if you haven't heard from me via email I didn't get it.

Some additional details about the TAM role:

When I was hired to AWS I literally knew nothing about the cloud. What sold them was that I demonstrated an ability to rapidly pick up new technologies on demand and I can also talk about architecture until I am blue in the face.

Prior AWS knowledge isn't as important as a demonstrated willingness and ability to learn and master new technologies quickly.

Also, this is a fairly senior level position. We are looking for a track record of ever-increasing responsibilities and projects of increasing complexity. Stood up a single DC running DNS and DHCP? Well, okay I guess. Built out a datacenter with corporate/dev/test/prod environments with multiple load-balanced tiers and VPN links to remote offices and road-warriors? Every automated yourself out of a job? YES!

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 14, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

shot you an email

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hey Agrikk, I just sent you an email about this too.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

How many positions are open? I just saw the post and feel like I am behind already :saddowns:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

AWS is always hiring, and there is no specific position to be filled. If we find one candidate or one hundred, we'll take 'em!

(And I get a referral bonus every time!)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I mailed you too!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks for all the resumes, everyone.

I'm currently on the road, and will be home tonight, so my plan is to review and forward resumes to my friend in HR tomorrow.

And to everyone else, there is no specific position to be filled, nor does this opportunity expire so if you are considering applying please do so! (If we find one person, we'll hire one person. If we find 100 people, we'll hire a hundred people.)

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Agrikk, sent an email.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Thanks for all the resumes, everyone.

I'm currently on the road, and will be home tonight, so my plan is to review and forward resumes to my friend in HR tomorrow.

And to everyone else, there is no specific position to be filled, nor does this opportunity expire so if you are considering applying please do so! (If we find one person, we'll hire one person. If we find 100 people, we'll hire a hundred people.)

I sent you an email - this looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Filled

bad boys for life fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 1, 2017

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

wargames posted:

Education: B.A.S. in Computer Technology and Management.

Experience:
1 Year working for a local MSP doing servers, desktops, wifi, and break fix.
2 Years working at the schools computer lab basically being a tutor.

Where: Currently in Florida. Willing to move to wherever you need me.

What I'm looking for: Jr Sysadmin, or Helpdesk, Anything really.

What I'm not: programming, as much as I would like to learn I currently don't have that skill set.

When: Anytime after the solar eclipse

Reqs: Full time.

I just emailed you.

Not hiring yet, but will be within the next 2-4 weeks

Who we are: A media company, headquartered in another state. The company has radio, TV, and publishing clusters in I think 9 cities in the US. Another division of the company has also recently developed an Android app that allows you to listen to live radio from stations around the country.

Where we are: This office is in NYC in the West Village, with easy and fast walks from Christopher St. PATH stop, Houston St. 1 train stop, or West 4th B/D/F/M/A/C/E stop. There's also a few parking garages nearby if you want to chance Holland Tunnel traffic.

What we're looking for: 1st tier helpdesk/desktop support. You'd be working with me (senior sysadmin) as your supervisor and my boss (director of integrated technology) as your manager. My boss is your boss, so you don't have some weird two-manager situation or whatnot. 1-3 years experience in some form of full-time end-user IT support minimum. As much as I'd like to be a mentor, we need someone who can come in understanding how to do the job.

It's an AD environment, 95% Windows 7 PCs, eventually moving to Win 10 with a rollout of new equipment. Remaining 5% are Macs on OSX 10.10.5 and I think 10.12.something. MS Office, basic PC hardware/software troubleshooting, networked printers and a few direct attached ones, other basic things. Building systems using SCCM and a spec document (it's step-by-step, just follow the doc and you'll be fine), ensuring built machines are adhering to all internal audit requirements, AD account management, and other basics. The job description is still being developed and we haven't posted it yet anywhere, so when it's finalized I'll post here again.

What we're not looking for: The previous candidate had problems showing up late or not at all, and only calling or emailing the boss about it halfway through the day. We would occasionally have to have a talk with him about his body odor. He would also over-promise and under-deliver, leave tickets idle, and while he would fix things and respond to them, he didn't do so reliably. We need someone who is the opposite of those, someone who knows how to deal with different personality types. There aren't serious lawyer/trading-floor Type A people, but we need someone who's got the balance right between soft skills and technical skills.

We're basically three radio stations, so the culture is very laid back. It's really a very big family, so if you're a shirt-and-tie kind of person, it may not work out, but once you get used to things here it's very easy to relax and actually enjoy your job. Plus you'll work for a goon who tolerates and encourages spending your downtime as you like it, so long as the work and projects/tasks are done.

Benefits: health/dental/vision, 401k (no match, alas), TransitCheck commuter pretax program, 10 paid vacation days, one personal day, unlimited sick days, your birthday is a free vacation day, monthly office-wide catered lunch meetings with huge amounts of really good food, promo swag, hip-hop luminaries in and out of the office, no dress code (you can wear a T-shirt and jeans whenever the hell you want, I'm wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt while writing this). Salary is in the mid 40k range. Not sure yet if it's hourly with OT and minimum 40 hours every week or salaried, those details have yet to be worked out.

PM me your email or post it here and I'll reach out.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 18, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mid $40k in NYC?

You can make more than that as an Apple Tech doing hardware repair.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I think you can make more than that as a line cook.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I would be very surprised if a helpdesk position qualified for overtime exemption, also the salary floor for that went up to like 47k last year or so.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Mid $40k in NYC?

You can make more than that as an Apple Tech doing hardware repair.

Salary figures are kinda up in the air. I'm deliberately undershooting it right now rather than overshoot and screw someone over based on what I know about how much the last guy pulled down. I'll push hard for the perfect candidate to get them the most that they can but this is a fairly junior position.

For what it's worth, the position will be a great place to learn a lot, get your certs, and move onwards. I will teach anyone anything, and help someone who wants to practice for their certs as best I can to help them advance their career.

a foolish pianist posted:

I think you can make more than that as a line cook.

That's a bit of a red herring/strawman/etc., but if you can hook me up with some legit job postings for a line cook in the mid $40k range, please do link them to me - it'll give me all the more ammo to push the baseline higher. "Boss, do you really expect us to get someone with experience when as a line cook they get a heck of a lot more free food?"

Dross posted:

I would be very surprised if a helpdesk position qualified for overtime exemption, also the salary floor for that went up to like 47k last year or so.

NY exempts at the state level as far as I know, and I'm no HR professional but this seems to indicate that someone's automatically exempt if they make around $57k: https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17e_computer.pdf

I was making $58k in Manhattan with around 5ish years experience back in 2008, no certs, but that was a different time and I'm sure things have changed in that market.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MJP posted:

NY exempts at the state level as far as I know, and I'm no HR professional but this seems to indicate that someone's automatically exempt if they make around $57k: https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17e_computer.pdf

NY law tends to be very similar to CA law. Junior help desk is never exempt in CA, and the floor is something like $85k now regardless. There is no creative element that would satisfy the requirement of being exempt. That is in addition to the minimum salary not one or the other. (All CA specific, but I would tread lightly at calling someone exempt. You can be salaried and still get OT.)

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MJP posted:

That's a bit of a red herring/strawman/etc., but if you can hook me up with some legit job postings for a line cook in the mid $40k range, please do link them to me - it'll give me all the more ammo to push the baseline higher. "Boss, do you really expect us to get someone with experience when as a line cook they get a heck of a lot more free food?"

Quick search of indeed for IT

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=953eda356a93f097&q=it&l=New+York%2C+NY&tk=1bnvehg5418iu6hk&from=web

http://theprincetongroup.com/jobs/hedge-fund-desktop-support-associate?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Indeed

http://bowmanwilliams.com/jobs/it-n...campaign=Indeed

For Line cook

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?cmp=121-Group&t=Cook+Line+Cook+Garde+Manger&jk=9c6733c0b22b9fc6&q=line+cook+%2450%2C000

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?cmp=Bespoke-Kitchen&t=Sous+Chef+Line+Cook&jk=ccbfcb64a36ce6ca&q=line+cook+%2450%2C000

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?cmp=forest-hill-field-club&t=Sous+Chef+Line+Cook&jk=4ad3559273e11f23&q=line+cook+%2450%2C000

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Watch MJP quit their job for one of these even though they're overqualified.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

NY law tends to be very similar to CA law. Junior help desk is never exempt in CA, and the floor is something like $85k now regardless. There is no creative element that would satisfy the requirement of being exempt. That is in addition to the minimum salary not one or the other. (All CA specific, but I would tread lightly at calling someone exempt. You can be salaried and still get OT.)

I'm pushing for the position to be non-exempt. My personal opinion is that if you work more than 40 hours a week you should be paid time and a half for it, but the final call rests with my boss, who is the keeper of the departmental budget. The previous holder of the position didn't get too much OT but he was 100% non-exempt and had to do timesheets. This is all of course subject to the HR department's sign-off/clarification.

There's not super amounts of overlap but it's good to be able to point to a comparable position as a point of interest to get them to come up in salary. I'll hang on to these.

Dross posted:

Watch MJP quit their job for one of these even though they're overqualified.

Actually I'm making more than enough and am extremely happy with this job. Dead serious, even if I don't get any raises going forward, I'd be more than happy to stay in this position with this company until I retire as long as nothing major changes. We're positioned pretty well in the industry, and even though the market is declining we're not doing as terrible.

Anyway I'll stop making GBS threads up the job fair thread with commentary. Still open to receiving resumes, if anyone is interested. I'll update when we have firmer numbers and a link to apply directly, if desired.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

Did I catch this post too late, or am I in time to try my luck?

Sorry for the super late reply on this. The 2 positions I originally posted about are gone, but we are down one tech support agent as of this Monday which they claim to be backfilling ASAP (still for the Dallas office). This would be for the same position that I am so I could answer any questions, I'll post again once HR formally makes the position available.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MJP posted:

I'm pushing for the position to be non-exempt. My personal opinion is that if you work more than 40 hours a week you should be paid time and a half for it, but the final call rests with my boss, who is the keeper of the departmental budget. The previous holder of the position didn't get too much OT but he was 100% non-exempt and had to do timesheets. This is all of course subject to the HR department's sign-off/clarification.

If this is for the Junior IT helpdesk position then as I understand it the state of NY says it is non-exempt, period. You open yourself up to lawsuit doing anything else. The state of California has automatic and compounding penalties for non-compliance, I bet NY has similar provisions. It is way cheaper to just pay out tiny amounts of OT on an incidental basis than to be on the other side of one of those lawsuits. Your person could get hired and blow the whistle if they are ever let go, have a bad day, or when some attorney shows them the 5-figure settlement they are entitled to a few years down the road.

I handled this when I was IT manager by having fixed blocks of pre-approved OT that was budgeted for just like their salary. Then I further pre-approved all my direct reports for X hours a week of OT on a trust basis. Anything over that but under my pre-approved block I would basically auto-approve and had them log it into the Jira ticket. It worked out really well. It's important that the HR -> Manager master OT block be large enough that you basically never have to go to them save for huge projects like office moves. If you are ever at 60 hours of OT consistently month over month, hire another junior headcount. The 60 number is to account for benefits cost, clear justifications, etc.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Who we are: Teamworks. We make a communication and collaborations platform for athletic organizations. Our website is at https://www.teamworks.com .

What we're looking for: Mostly software engineers, but we also have an open position for a Senior Product Manager and a Senior UX Designer.

Generally the dev team is full of fairly laid back people, but we are intense workers and we expect anybody who joins the team to be ready to work hard. Nothing insane like 60 hour weeks or whatever, just you know, actually getting work done.

What we're not looking for: Chair warmers, although I really don't expect that out of the job-seeking crowd here.

Location: Durham, NC. We are also open to remote employees, but generally prefer local people.

Approximate opening date: Now. Dear god now.

Benefits: Health, optional Dental and Vision, unlimited PTO, free gym membership.

Notes: Weirdly enough even though I don't really like sports at all I really like working here. We have a really tight knit and accepting set of developers here with no real giant assholes or anything, so it's just a really nice, cohesive team.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Classical Muzak posted:

Who we are: Teamworks. We make a communication and collaborations platform for athletic organizations. Our website is at https://www.teamworks.com .

You need to have a chat with WP Engine about your SSL configuration.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The amount of misconfigured WP Engine HTTPS sites I've seen...

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

McGlockenshire posted:

You need to have a chat with WP Engine about your SSL configuration.

We have lots of chats with them and it's honestly not my department's job. They have marketing running that part of the site and whenever we call them (WPEngine, not marketing) it's a total shitshow. It's pretty hilarious to hear about at least.

buttchugging adderall fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 25, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Just remove the s from https.

sirspen
Sep 10, 2010
Job Seeker

I've been working as an IT Administrator for a medium sized business in New Zealand, but recently moved to England for my wife's job. I have experience as a systems admin, solutions architecture, and helpdesk. My duties included building and managing our IT infrastructure, training employees in new technology, and implementing new technologies for our business, including cloud. I'm looking to make a switch to DevOps, as I've been learning alot of the tools and am really interested in automation. I've got some experience in Chef, Terraform, Jenkins, and I'm now learning Docker and Ansible. I plan on following these with Maven. I also have experience with several programming languages including Java, C++, Python, and Ruby.

Education - BA in Psychology , CompTIA A+, CompTIA Security+, and Amazon AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate

Experience - 2 years as an Senior IT Administrator, 1 year as a Systems Administrator, 1 year Helpdesk, 2 years as an internet technician for a large telecommunications company.

Where I'm looking - Bournemout UK, Christchurch UK, Poole UK, Southampton UK, or Remote (US would be ok for remote work, as I'm a US citizen as well)

What I'm looking for - Ideally looking for DevOps, AWS Solutions Architect, but open to other opportunities as well

What I'm NOT looking for - Help desk

When I can start - In 2 weeks

Requirements - Full time, prefer flexible hours but not required

Contact - PM

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Takes No Damage posted:

Sorry for the super late reply on this. The 2 positions I originally posted about are gone, but we are down one tech support agent as of this Monday which they claim to be backfilling ASAP (still for the Dallas office). This would be for the same position that I am so I could answer any questions, I'll post again once HR formally makes the position available.

Thanks! Ill keep an eye out!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Hey everyone,

I'm now back from vacation and be able to finally get to all of your emails and resumes and will be contacting y'all this week.

My apologies for the delay. I know this is people's careers on the line here...

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Interviewing at Amazon, got past the first two phone screens and have a on-site next week. Have not given any numbers to the 3 different HR people I've spoken with. In a call today w/ a HR person to give me a heads up as to what the on-site interview is like, numbers were again requested. Dude made it seem like it was critical that he get my expected pay range.

Please confirm thread, I am doing the correct thing by not giving them any numbers before the on-site interview? The first numbers really discussed should be their initial offer after deciding they can't live without me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alzabo posted:

Interviewing at Amazon, got past the first two phone screens and have a on-site next week. Have not given any numbers to the 3 different HR people I've spoken with. In a call today w/ a HR person to give me a heads up as to what the on-site interview is like, numbers were again requested. Dude made it seem like it was critical that he get my expected pay range.

Please confirm thread, I am doing the correct thing by not giving them any numbers before the on-site interview? The first numbers really discussed should be their initial offer after deciding they can't live without me?

Correct. What level are you interviewing for?