Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey it must be finished if they're going to start working on a battle royale version of ark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey it must be finished if they're going to start working on a battle royale version of ark

Hahaha. "Our game sucks poo poo, let's just redo it as that other popular game."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Hahaha. "Our game sucks poo poo, let's just redo it as that other popular game."

quote:

Welcome to ARK: Survival of the Fittest, the first ever M.O.S.A. - a Multiplayer Online Survival Arena - that Studio Wildcard designed for the burgeoning wild west of eSports. A spin-off from the most popular open-world Early Access game on Steam ARK: Survival Evolved, ARK: Survival of the Fittest (SotF) pits up to 72 combatants in an action-packed struggle for survival where players are ultimately pushed into an epic final showdown where only one “Tribe” will make it out alive.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_powers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
they already peaked a while ago as far as i'm concerned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Aq-gm3An0

unless they evolved to the next level of this

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

set poop interval to -1

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

duckfarts posted:

Video games are art.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Goddamn there's already an acronym for Battlegrounds's genre?

duckfarts posted:

Oh hey, it's the discussion that just happened in video form

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

75% off.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/337720/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ok so I have Dying Light but I don't have The Following, cause I had it from before The Following existed. At what point during the playing of Dying Light do you encounter expansion content? Does it add anything to the main game or is it a totally separate thing? Basically trying to decide if I can hold off on it before I play

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a recent change of some sort to guides - you now have to own the game to create or rate guides?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ok so I have Dying Light but I don't have The Following, cause I had it from before The Following existed. At what point during the playing of Dying Light do you encounter expansion content? Does it add anything to the main game or is it a totally separate thing? Basically trying to decide if I can hold off on it before I play

Totally separate. Also kind of sort of a 'post story' thing, so I would suggest holding off on it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

If you have any patience for point-and-clicks and reading, The Sea Will Claim Everything is amazing. I can try to convince you here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Someone was asking about darkwood a week or so ago. I've played about 9 days of it and it is fantastic so far. It's really a less-is-more kind of experience where the muted presentation makes all the surreal stuff way more creepy, and disguises how incredibly good the sound is. Anytime I'm just starting to get comfortable with it, something else happens that takes me off guard. I love that it's not a "survival" game in that you have to quiet food and water bars nagging at you every 5 minutes (there is no hunger or thirst), but in that you have to make sure you have enough gasoline to keep the lights on each night, because god only knows what will happen if you don't.

The second night was completely silent until something started banging on my door. The door was completely unlocked and unbarricaded, but the banging went on for a minute and a half and then there was silence for the rest of the night.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

If you have any patience for point-and-clicks and reading, The Sea Will Claim Everything is amazing. I can try to convince you here.

Thirding/not empty quoting. Game's good, guys.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Here have some poo poo because GMG felt bad about being late with something idk

The Las_ Door Season One
Key: LW7EV-6M_2P-IK5HZ

Corporate Li_estyle Simulator
Key: 20DI4-03_YG-8PMZP

Story of th_ Survivor
Key: C0MHX-G2T33-_90M7

Hunts_an The Orphanage
Key: JI3PQ-K__FC-46WBK

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Please don't talk about politics in this thread. This includes mentioning political preferences of video game creators/reviewers. Anybody who sees something like this being mentioned please report it. People itt just can't be trusted with handling a topic like this in a civilized manner so it's off the table from now on. There are subforums better suited for this on SA, go there instead. I added this to the OP.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sunless Skies "I played for five minutes" report: movement is a lot faster now and there's a cruise control button.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
About the Sonic Mania thing... Honestly there's just people who want to play it offline. It had an always online restriction and now that that's gone (or being removed) the negativity has somewhat decreased.
But in another scummy move, Sega had sent free copies of Sonic 1 as apology for Mania's 2 week delay. Apparently that was tacked on to Mania purchases, so anyone who recieved the gift cannot refund the game because they've owned it for exactly two weeks.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sunless Skies "I played for five minutes" report: movement is a lot faster now and there's a cruise control button.

Worth paying for in EA? I mean, I liked Sunless Sea (after modding the movement speed).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I don't understand why anyone bothers with anti-piracy things since they don't work. It wouldn't surprise me if Sonic Mania was already available for anyone to pirate. It wouldn't surprise me if it came available before the game was released. I have had okay luck with anti-piracy protections; the only problems I've had in the last few years has been with any and all Ubi Soft games. I don't know if it's specifically their servers that the game has to connect to or what, but often times it will just shove me out of the game with some obscure coded error that I've learned has some vague relation to anti-piracy protection. The solution was a hacked .exe. I don't think that's piracy, is it? But in any case, doing that disabled the anti-piracy thing which enabled me to play the game I bought. I remember a decade ago having all sorts of hell with SecureROM and the like. SecureROM games used to cause my DVD ROM to refuse to eject my God drat disc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

credburn posted:

I don't understand why anyone bothers with anti-piracy things since they don't work. It wouldn't surprise me if Sonic Mania was already available for anyone to pirate. It wouldn't surprise me if it came available before the game was released. I have had okay luck with anti-piracy protections; the only problems I've had in the last few years has been with any and all Ubi Soft games. I don't know if it's specifically their servers that the game has to connect to or what, but often times it will just shove me out of the game with some obscure coded error that I've learned has some vague relation to anti-piracy protection. The solution was a hacked .exe. I don't think that's piracy, is it? But in any case, doing that disabled the anti-piracy thing which enabled me to play the game I bought. I remember a decade ago having all sorts of hell with SecureROM and the like. SecureROM games used to cause my DVD ROM to refuse to eject my God drat disc.

DRM doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be enough of a deterrent that more people will break down and buy the game instead of trying to torrent it. 2FA on your phone wouldn't stop a particularly intrepid hacker from getting into your bank account, but it's probably enough of a roadblock that he'll just move onto the next sucker with unsecured information.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Back when retail was still a thing I used to get cracks or save an .iso for games I legit own just so I don't have to look for the CD each time I want to play it. That's the point really, DRM is often inconvenient, and at least in regards to myself I find the best anti piracy measure is to make going legit as easy and comfortable as possible. I agree with the "games as a service" idea, even on steam I don't see myself as paying for the game, but for automatic patches and easy access to my saves across devices.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 31, 2017

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Yeah, the entire reason Steam brought back PC gaming, as Newell said many times, was that it provided a platform that's better and easier to use than cracked games. You pay and make sure you get all the latest patches, updates, freelc, or whatever that you just won't get with pirated copies. That's the whole thing, that's the "service" part.

Adding even more DRM on top of that is pointless and I get why people are angry about it.

The sales played a huge part in that but that ship has sailed apparently

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 31, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I'm a PC gamer anyway, but at least once and probably more times the reason I bought a Steam version of a game as opposed to the PS4 version is because I am a lazy motherfucker and cannot tolerate changing god drat discs to play different games. I remember when I brought home the DVD version of Baldur's Gate, instead of opting for the six-disc version. It was like ten loving years later until DVDs became a regular thing for PC games. Anyone remember that? Why did it take so long?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah, I pirated years ago because having a no cd check alone was excellent. Then steam came and made it even more convenient to play by the rules than piracy so thus began my straight shootin' pc gamer lifestyle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

credburn posted:

I'm a PC gamer anyway, but at least once and probably more times the reason I bought a Steam version of a game as opposed to the PS4 version is because I am a lazy motherfucker and cannot tolerate changing god drat discs to play different games. I remember when I brought home the DVD version of Baldur's Gate, instead of opting for the six-disc version. It was like ten loving years later until DVDs became a regular thing for PC games. Anyone remember that? Why did it take so long?

DVD-ROM drives were expensive and not nearly as ubiquitous as CDs until the mid-2000s. Disk space was also at much more of a premium back then so you might have chosen to suffer some disc switching over a hefty 5GB install.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was also a little chicken and egg - why finance a DVD edition that's going to have low sales because very few people have DVD readers, and conversely why buy a DVD reader when there's very little to use it for?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

It was also a little chicken and egg - why finance a DVD edition that's going to have low sales because very few people have DVD readers, and conversely why buy a DVD reader when there's very little to use it for?
A similar situation with the lack of PC Blu-Ray drives has probably caused a lot of frustration for people with crappy internet connections or download caps lately, since installing a Steam game from a physical disc is no longer a viable reality.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Crappy internet connections with download caps is mainly a US thing nowadays, right? We don't really have caps in EU.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
download caps are more of a monopoly thing, in areas in the US with at least somewhat healthy local markets there are no data limits, and oftentimes competitive data rates.

unethical companies are also able to gouge customers with poor telecommunications infrastructure

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Main reason for third party DRM is that the first week, where people are working to break denuvo, is also the week when the game has maximum hype pushing people to buy it. The vast majority of sales happen during this time. Steamworks can be cracked near instantly so they need a better way to protect that sales period.

Denuvo is literally just a way of saying "if you want to play this for free you'll have to wait" which is enough to drive a lot of potential pirates to buy the game. Otherwise, by the time they're able to play it, it won't be new and cool anymore.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

My personal take on that stuff is basically that video reviews and let's plays and crap like that should really fall under the umbrella of being able to enjoy a work without necessarily having to like the person who made it. For instance, Lovecraft was INCREDIBLY racist, but that doesn't stop me from reading and liking his books. I just take that same principle and apply it to other forms of entertainment, because that means I can enjoy more things instead of constantly having to be on the lookout for any impropriety by the people who produce those things.

I guess in general I just don't tend to give a gently caress about anyone's political opinions at all, anyways. This has been my blog post, thanks for reading.
I enjoy Grimoire even though its creator is a white supremacist who wrote fanfic about murdering me in creative ways, I've set the bar as low as possible probably

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Palpek posted:

Please don't talk about politics in this thread. This includes mentioning political preferences of video game creators/reviewers. Anybody who sees something like this being mentioned please report it. People itt just can't be trusted with handling a topic like this in a civilized manner so it's off the table from now on. There are subforums better suited for this on SA, go there instead. I added this to the OP.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I enjoy Grimoire even though its creator wrote fanfic about murdering me in creative ways, I've set the bar as low as possible probably
Are you the Brazilian person who kept tweeting Grimoire updates etc?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Terminally Bored posted:

Crappy internet connections with download caps is mainly a US thing nowadays, right? We don't really have caps in EU.

It's very much been an Australian thing for as long as we've had the internet, the US is a bunch of johnny come lately bastards stealing our gimmick.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Are you the Brazilian person who kept tweeting Grimoire updates etc?
nah, at least 3 or 4 people have played it now

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I enjoy Grimoire, I've set the bar as low as possible probably

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Jinh posted:

Main reason for third party DRM is that the first week, where people are working to break denuvo, is also the week when the game has maximum hype pushing people to buy it. The vast majority of sales happen during this time. Steamworks can be cracked near instantly so they need a better way to protect that sales period.

Denuvo is literally just a way of saying "if you want to play this for free you'll have to wait" which is enough to drive a lot of potential pirates to buy the game. Otherwise, by the time they're able to play it, it won't be new and cool anymore.

I can understand it when it applies to MP games. Lots of devs/publishers don't bother patching the DRM out so in a few years people's steam libraries will have singleplayer games they can't play, GFWL-style.

Knobb Manwich posted:

It's very much been an Australian thing for as long as we've had the internet, the US is a bunch of johnny come lately bastards stealing our gimmick.

You get rewarded with music, tho. OZ punk rock kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CommissarMega posted:

Worth paying for in EA? I mean, I liked Sunless Sea (after modding the movement speed).

This early in? No. There's just not enough content - it's more of a demo than a full game.