Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is Public Park 3 the infamous Empty Lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
No, Milenium Tower is built on where the Empty Lot was (which is why it was A Big Deal)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

psychoJ posted:

Has it been said that Kiryu's voice actor is playing Kenshiro in Fist of the North Gotoku? Cuz that's pretty incredible.

Everyone is voiced by actors from the Yakuza games.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Huh, I think I met the woman of my dreams. She's into some funky fashion and is pretty straightforward. But... she says I have to fight her to win her over.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Whoa that Shimano fight at the start of kiwami might take the cake as the worst fight in the whole Yakuza series (at least 4, 5, 0)
It wasn't difficult but I think I actually just spent over 20 minutes beating on him and hammering x when he grabbed my hair like it was a school girl spat. What the gently caress was the point in making that take as long as it does.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cubicle gangster posted:

Whoa that Shimano fight at the start of kiwami might take the cake as the worst fight in the whole Yakuza series (at least 4, 5, 0)
It wasn't difficult but I think I actually just spent over 20 minutes beating on him and hammering x when he grabbed my hair like it was a school girl spat. What the gently caress was the point in making that take as long as it does.

Yeah it's weird because in Yakuza 1, regular enemies have like no HP and bosses have way too much. I would have thought they might rebalance it for Kiwami but apparently not.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bwuuuh majima is the greatest bowler of all time???

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I feel like he arbitrarily snapped out of stuns to grab me and broke the rules far more than any other fight in this series too. Do bosses in kiwami actually get worse from here?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

cubicle gangster posted:

I got some Mr. Shakedown PTSD from that fight

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

CharlestonJew posted:

I got some Mr. Shakedown PTSD from that fight

:same:

But at least that meant I knew how to defeat him. All that training was useful after all...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

lets hang out posted:

Is there a minimum s link i have to have to bowl with majima or is it a percentage or how can i bowl with Majima

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Please, Majima ain't poo poo.

I miss you, Nugget.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there a minimum s link i have to have to bowl with majima or is it a percentage or how can i bowl with Majima

It happened partway into E for me I think, you'll get a thinly-veiled clue from Nishida. Might be random?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

projecthalaxy posted:

yes i too want to know how to do bowling with majima-kun

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You'll know if you can because you'll have an email from Nishida where Majima tells you to roll together. Majima straight-up vanishes for some sections, though, like the point where at the end of F when he goes into hiding 'under big things' around town - in those cases I think you have to find him first before any other of his events will fire.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Majima Everywhere Guide

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The thing they list as the 'Rank D rank up event' I got in the middle of F and completed mid-E so it's probably random then

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

cubicle gangster posted:

If it's anything like the original Yak 1 it's not even the worst in that game.

Though Shimano was a pushover in the original 1, so who knows.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where's the dude that gives you stuff for your collection points?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm really not feeling that bosses can heal in kiwami either. Always hated it in other games, healing items I feel should only be the players advantage. At least you can wail on them while they do it, but they're still gonna get a chunk of their life bar back. Like it's not already glacially slow to chip away at already.

Anyway I still like it, it's more Yakuza, but those are my issues so far.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Where's the dude that gives you stuff for your collection points?

southwest corner of the map just standing next to a pole or something

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm really not feeling that bosses can heal in kiwami either. Always hated it in other games, healing items I feel should only be the players advantage. At least you can wail on them while they do it, but they're still gonna get a chunk of their life bar back. Like it's not already glacially slow to chip away at already.

buy the moves that let you cancel that

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

lets hang out posted:

buy the moves that let you cancel that

Yeah, I made a beeline for the Kiwami moves as my first few upgrades and it was super worth it. The only harrowing part is trying to generate enough heat to do the moves before they get out of their charge stance.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm not crazy about the healing, but you'll want to grab these three skills on the Soul tree ASAP.

They let you use special heat actions that'll stop the healing and dump a shitload of damage on the boss.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Are you all trying to fight Shimano in Rush style or something? I feel that they nerfed the damage considerably. You were able to clown bosses with Rush style in 0, and now I've had to learn to fight with Brawler style again. Rush is for whenever you're surrounded and have to do 2-3 hits and run away and there are no bicycles /motorbikes laying around.

For example:

cubicle gangster posted:

At least you can wail on them while they do it, but they're still gonna get a chunk of their life bar back. Like it's not already glacially slow to chip away at already.

You can outpace the healing with raw damage pretty easily in Brawler style. I've killed Majima several times while he was charging (with 1 damage upgrade, Majima level F, IIRC) and at least kept up with Shimano.

Also, good news: The batting cages are no longer a nightmare. No more moving targets and I feel that the timing is more generous.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

You can hold square during the pocket circuit races for a first person view from the car :aaa: :barf:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I can't seem to find Majima for Flash Step Reborn. I think the related message is to go find him west of Shichifuku Street, and I've had him spot me in the store around there reading magazines, but I didn't get the skill from it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Highest Cactus posted:

You can hold square during the pocket circuit races for a first person view from the car :aaa: :barf:

PSVR patch please

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fat Samurai posted:

Are you all trying to fight Shimano in Rush style or something? I feel that they nerfed the damage considerably. You were able to clown bosses with Rush style in 0, and now I've had to learn to fight with Brawler style again. Rush is for whenever you're surrounded and have to do 2-3 hits and run away and there are no bicycles /motorbikes laying around.

Yeah 0 used to have skills that would give damage upgrades to Rush/Brawler/Beast styles, I'm not seeing any of those in Kiwami.

Granted I haven't explored the skill tree that much, so maybe they're in there somewhere.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Body there are skills that give a blanket boost to your damage in all styles, the first two are three point unlocks too.
There's virtually zero chance of getting both before Shimano though so I'm hoping he's just a one off.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 31, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

What does the "puts a lot of strain on your body" mean in the description for the Yakuza Training Gear? I've had the gear on for a while now and haven't noticed any ill effects.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah 0 used to have skills that would give damage upgrades to Rush/Brawler/Beast styles, I'm not seeing any of those in Kiwami.

Granted I haven't explored the skill tree that much, so maybe they're in there somewhere.

I've seen a few upgrades that just say they boost damage.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Just spend your points on increasing health and you'll be fine for the first major waves of battles

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is Public Park 3 the infamous Empty Lot?

FYI, Public Park 3 is mid-Kamurocho on one of the alleys that runs W-E. Kind of by the shrine I think. I'm telling you this from memory at work so I may be a BIT off.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Stelas posted:

I can't seem to find Majima for Flash Step Reborn. I think the related message is to go find him west of Shichifuku Street, and I've had him spot me in the store around there reading magazines, but I didn't get the skill from it.

this one took me a while too. go to the pocket circuit and do some of the intro stuff. after doing some stuff for a while majima will show up to race you. win and you'll get flash step reborn.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Out of interest, what's the difference between expulsion from a yakuza family and banishment? That bit at the start of Kiwaimi has me wondering. Is it just a case of being 'fired' vs. being disgraced/marked for death?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Out of interest, what's the difference between expulsion from a yakuza family and banishment? That bit at the start of Kiwaimi has me wondering. Is it just a case of being 'fired' vs. being disgraced/marked for death?
I was operating under the assumption that banishment would be a "you're dead if we see you in our territory again." Where with expulsion, Kiryu could still potentially be allowed back in the fold. Early game spoiler: Kazama's original plan after Kiryu's arrest/expulsion was for him to rejoin the Yakuza as part of Nishki's family.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 31, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

IIRC, it's the difference between being kicked out of a particular family, and being kicked out of the Yakuza as a whole. I might be talking out of my rear end, though.

I think it could also have to do with ordering a hit on a family member vs ordering a hit on a civilian, but that might be a different game that I'm thinking of.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How much will I enjoy 6 if my ranking of the series is 0 > 4 > 2 > 3 > 5 > 1 (not sure how Kiwami factors in because it's way more fun to play but still the same story)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Finished the Kiwami and have to agree that it is weakest Yakuza I've played so far, even including the zombie one.

Majima everywhere was fun for first couple of dozen times, but I got fed up with him around D-rank. Luckily you can stop seeing him if you do not do his Rank-up missions.

Still can't wait for the Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6.