Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eames posted:

Some TR benchmarks for comparison would have been nice, I suspect the engine tops out at 8 threads because that's what consoles have.

Looks like you're right, it doesn't use the HT threads on an octo-core Intel chip either. It's just hard-coded to use 8 worker threads because consoles.

http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/destiny-beta-test-gpu-cpu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Threadripper 1900X is now available :toot:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113457

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They really are hammering the x299 platfrom

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

They really are hammering the x299 platfrom

Except for those wanting to do vfio passthrough, because that is broken as gently caress. :stonklol:
There the x299 platform is supposedly smooth sailing/turn-key etc.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You have to admire them calling it x399.

They're reaching Chinese company levels of not giving a gently caress about upsetting companies and it owns.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Now that's just nice

eames
May 9, 2009

Filthy scum posted:

Except for those wanting to do vfio passthrough, because that is broken as gently caress. :stonklol:
There the x299 platform is supposedly smooth sailing/turn-key etc.

It's not that bad, there's just one very old bug with KVM/GPU passthrough/Nested Page Tables that needs to be fixed.
Please comment on this bug for better exposure if you care about this functionality: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196409

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hasnt X299 had NVME raid since launch, and people were dogging AMD for not having it on their premium platform?

not like normal humans would do NVME raid, but HEDT really isnt the platform for normal humans

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cygni posted:

hasnt X299 had NVME raid since launch, and people were dogging AMD for not having it on their premium platform?

not like normal humans would do NVME raid, but HEDT really isnt the platform for normal humans

Intel wants you to pay 300 dollars for a raid key to use it. AMD giving it for free

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Cygni posted:

HEDT really isnt the platform for normal humans

AMD uses the acronym SHED for their Super High End Desktops.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They're reaching Chinese company levels of not giving a gently caress about upsetting companies and it owns.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

Intel wants you to pay 300 dollars for a raid key to use it*. AMD giving it for free

* with intel nvme drives. AMD is drive vendor agnostic

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VostokProgram posted:

Intel wants you to pay 300 dollars for a raid key to use it. AMD giving it for free

its actually more complicated than that. intel's CPU raid isnt working yet on x299 (hence why we have no idea what the VROC keys cost), but NVME raid IS working without the key if you trust forum posters. but only for 2 drives, and its being run off the PCH. also it may or may not actually be bootable.

NVME raid is a cluster on both platforms, honestly. (unintentional but good pun)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

AMD uses the acronym SHED for their Super High End Desktops.

I feel like there is a good joke here about SHED, HEDT and a shotgun but I'll leave it to a better goon.

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

eames posted:

It's not that bad, there's just one very old bug with KVM/GPU passthrough/Nested Page Tables that needs to be fixed.
Please comment on this bug for better exposure if you care about this functionality: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196409

Did that:hchatter:

But what I was refering to was pcie devices getting stuck in D3 state or whatever the hell it does: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6vbe6w/threadripper_broken_on_linux_for_pci_passthrough/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

Wendell, is that you?!

Cygni posted:

Intel wants you to pay hundreds of dollars for a dongle to enable it because S E G M E N T A T I O N.

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wendell, is that you?!

sorry to disappoint you, I'm just a regular goon hoping that this glaring bug gets the attention it deserves.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Was only kidding, because that's almost word-for-word a tweet from him.

Still though, what is it with KVM that keeps it around, specifically? Xen and QEMU and the one other one whose name I can't remember are all working fine now, aren't they?

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

eames posted:

sorry to disappoint you, I'm just a regular goon hoping that this glaring bug gets the attention it deserves.

You are not alone, there are tens of us out there! :sadpeanut:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

At least they went 4+0+4+0 instead of 2+2+2+2.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

At least they went 4+0+4+0 instead of 2+2+2+2.

Isn't 2+2+2+2 the Epyc 7251?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Still though, what is it with KVM that keeps it around, specifically? Xen and QEMU and the one other one whose name I can't remember are all working fine now, aren't they?

Aren't qemu and kvm related? I thought qemu by itself only does emulation, and you need kvm to use hardware assisted virtualization

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Aren't qemu and kvm related? I thought qemu by itself only does emulation, and you need kvm to use hardware assisted virtualization

QEMU emulates hardware and has a dynamic translation CPU engine. KVM is a VT-x hypervisor that QEMU can frontend. QEMU can do emulation/dynamic translation of a shitload of platforms and architectures, while KVM is only able to be a hypervisor for the host platform (and iirc is only available on x86-64 and ARM64).

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

Isn't 2+2+2+2 the Epyc 7251?

Last i heard it was impossible for tr to do that so you could only have 2 (2+2), 2(3+3) and 2(4,4)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
I'm a proud new owner of a 1700X on an ASUS Prime X370-PRO board. The processor is modestly overclocked to 3700 MHz and under full load the temperature doesn't go over 65C. The downside is that the machine is ridiculously picky about RAM, I got me a pair of 3200MHz sticks which max out at 2133MHz, and then I swapped them out for a pair of Ryzen-certified 3200MHz sticks which top out at 2400 MHz instead. I'm not too happy about that, updated the BIOS to no avail.

Oh well, glad I got the old FX rig out the door. Youtube videos stuttered on FX and this used to drive me up the walls - a stark contrast to Ryzen which smoothly schedules threads, and doesn't stutter even when the processor is maxed out with number crunching. Anyway, Ryzen is good but suffers from teething troubles. :)

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

I'm a proud new owner of a 1700X on an ASUS Prime X370-PRO board. The processor is modestly overclocked to 3700 MHz and under full load the temperature doesn't go over 65C. The downside is that the machine is ridiculously picky about RAM, I got me a pair of 3200MHz sticks which max out at 2133MHz, and then I swapped them out for a pair of Ryzen-certified 3200MHz sticks which top out at 2400 MHz instead. I'm not too happy about that, updated the BIOS to no avail.

Oh well, glad I got the old FX rig out the door. Youtube videos stuttered on FX and this used to drive me up the walls - a stark contrast to Ryzen which smoothly schedules threads, and doesn't stutter even when the processor is maxed out with number crunching. Anyway, Ryzen is good but suffers from teething troubles. :)

Is that the AGESA 1006 bios or what? Cause there were several revisions, some better than others, I think the RAM thing mostly had to do with 1t/2t timings with the default XMP profiles, and generally tighter timings. But I assume you got the Flare-X 3200mhz C14, so that kinda rules that out.

Buildzoid has it figured out for the asrock taichi x370, talks about a lot of the settings in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v73oXX1C-Q

SoC voltage might make a difference but take it in small increments and see what other people say, re: max voltage.

I was about settled on buying a 1700 but if people are still having trouble and maxing out at 2400mhz today then that's concerning.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 1, 2017

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Eyochigan posted:

Is that the AGESA 1006 bios or what? Cause there were several revisions, some better than others, I think the RAM thing mostly had to do with 1t/2t timings with the default XMP profiles, and generally tighter timings. But I assume you got the Flare-X 3200mhz C14, so that kinda rules that out.

Buildzoid has it figured out for the asrock taichi x370, talks about a lot of the settings in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v73oXX1C-Q

SoC voltage might make a difference but take it in small increments and see what other people say, re: max voltage.

I was about settled on buying a 1700 but if people are still having trouble and maxing out at 2400mhz today then that's concerning.

BIOS is 0810 dated 08/01/17.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I won't count on AMD dealing with the DDR4 issues anytime soon when they already have their hands full with servers, Raven Ridge and RTG damage control.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Eyochigan posted:

Buildzoid has it figured out for the asrock taichi x370, talks about a lot of the settings in this video

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

BIOS is 0810 dated 08/01/17.

There was that AMD presentation a while back that suggested vSOC 1.1V and the RAM voltage 1.4-1.5V. I'm running dual rank B-die (G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZKY) at the same timings and frequency without any voltage increase, so I'm surprised that there is a problem on single rank B-die. Video below in case you feel like watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 1, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I've just made a voodoo doll of GCN and thrown it on the fire, let's hope this works people.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I got a 1700X for home office use. Under the typical office use of rendering 3d fractals and playing GTA V it's fantastic.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Question: My 5 year old Intel x79 Sandy Bridge platform is getting old. Should I go with the latest Intel (x299) HEDT platform, the latest AMD TD platform or go down to the consumer level of Ryzen? I do play games every now and then, but I mostly work on my PC. I have now 32GB of RAM and I would not want to go below that number.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

What kind of work? If it's not rendering, video production, or VM based, I would say wait a month for coffee lake and then buy a Ryzen or coffee lake at whatever price point you're comfortable with. Same basically goes for any new computer not in those categories.

Coffee lake will shake up the price/performance on both sides, so it's probably worth waiting.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Volguus posted:

Question: My 5 year old Intel x79 Sandy Bridge platform is getting old. Should I go with the latest Intel (x299) HEDT platform, the latest AMD TD platform or go down to the consumer level of Ryzen? I do play games every now and then, but I mostly work on my PC. I have now 32GB of RAM and I would not want to go below that number.

my suggestion is wait, there will hopefully be not terrible processors released for x299 soon so that may be a good option but it does depend on your workload.

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Xen can't lie to the guest like KVM does. If you have an Nvidia card you want to pass-through, you won't be able to install drivers for it. Thanks Nvidia.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

wargames posted:

my suggestion is wait, there will hopefully be not terrible processors released for Z370 soon so that may be a good option but it does depend on your workload.

FTFY, X299 shall remain terrible.

eames
May 9, 2009

Filthy scum posted:

Xen can't lie to the guest like KVM does. If you have an Nvidia card you want to pass-through, you won't be able to install drivers for it. Thanks Nvidia.

There's a patch to disable the virtualization check in the Nvidia drivers but I still want working KVM support for reasons. :colbert:

https://github.com/sk1080/nvidia-kvm-patcher

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXAHMRdGvMI

So this video popped up in my notifications and it really interests me because the 950 is able to make up so much ground with the NB being overclocked to 1.5Ghz (25% OC). It makes me wonder how much better the Construction cores or even K10 would have been with a better interconnect, and what kind of difference it would have made.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 1, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wargames posted:

my suggestion is wait, there will hopefully be not terrible processors released for x299 soon so that may be a good option but it does depend on your workload.
:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

eames posted:

There's a patch to disable the virtualization check in the Nvidia drivers but I still want working KVM support for reasons. :colbert:

https://github.com/sk1080/nvidia-kvm-patcher

Don't play games that checks for anti-cheat with that.

But also, TR just fails in passing any pcie devices. Even with the pci=nommconf stuff :bang: