Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Everyone's favorite group of sadsacks are BACK, BABY!

On September 8, The National will release their 7th LP, and it's called Sleep Well Beast.

LP7 is the descendant of a string of critically-lauded, increasingly-commercially-successful albums dating back to the turn of the century:

2013's Trouble Will Find Me - link
2010's High Violet - link
2007's Boxer - link (still my all-time favorite album)
2005's Alligator - link
2003's Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers - link
2001's The National - link

code:
1.	"Nobody Else Will Be There"
2.	"Day I Die"
3.	"Walk It Back"
4.	"The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness"
5.	"Born to Beg"
6.	"Turtleneck"
7.	"Empire Line"
8.	"I'll Still Destroy You"
9.	"Guilty Party"
10.	"Carin at the Liquor Store"
11.	"Dark Side of the Gym"
12.	"Sleep Well Beast"
At 57:37 of runtime, it is their longest album to-date! Hooray bleakness!

Singles

They're also touring, but many of these shows are sold out by now :( ...but really :)

Consider yourselves warned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I'm really digging the songs they've released so far, particularly The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Loving all the songs so far, but... No show in Switzerland??? gently caress that! I've seen them live a bunch of times and it's inevitably amazing

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
System is genuinely one of the best songs they've ever done

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

They're also touring, but many of these shows are sold out by now :( ...but really :)

Consider yourselves warned.

Fiftyish a ticket aaah. I wasn't super taken with their last album so i don't know if I'd want to spring that much for them.

Molestationary Store fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 16, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://pitchfork.com/news/the-national-to-perform-new-album-in-full-on-live-stream/

They're playing the whole new album live on 9/5 (before the album comes out) and live streaming it too :)

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

http://pitchfork.com/news/the-national-to-perform-new-album-in-full-on-live-stream/

They're playing the whole new album live on 9/5 (before the album comes out) and live streaming it too :)

Gah - they're playing it when I'm at work. Well, by that point, it's only a matter of days before the album is out... "Carin at the Liquor Store" is an early favorite, but of course I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I heard the album live on Youtube (with passable sound quality) about a month ago. "Walk it Back" is the latest title for their live track "Checking Out of a Collapsing Space" and it still owns, though they've made it one of the most explicitly political songs of their careers (Rove's infamous "reality-based community" speech literally plays over the bridge). "Day I Die" is another good one, and way more hi-tempo than you'd expect from something with that title.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have tickets for the in Dublin in either September or November, so excited!

e: Did they ever release Rylan on anything?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

EmmyOk posted:

e: Did they ever release Rylan on anything?

No :( I think they've gone on to say that they've scrapped it or tore it apart and used parts of it elsewhere but yeah, I gave up on a studio version of Rylan after it didn't come out on Trouble Will Find Me or any of it's bsides.

e: I don't remember where I read it so I dug around and looked up the Reddit AMA they did a while back for TWFM.

So I guess they do have some form of a studio version from the High Violet days collecting dust but :shrug:

It's still one of my favorite National songs and it's silly that I have to load up the Youtube video everytime I want to hear it.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 22, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man I have missed these guys. Still remember when my ex-best friend (RIP) looked at the album artwork for High Violet and said "they should have called it You Might Be In This Band".

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Looking at reviews

This is the band's best album since Boxer, and will stand as one of the year's best. 

But... High Violet was better than Boxer...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lid posted:

But... High Violet was better than Boxer...

This is sick. I never liked Bloodbuzz Ohio.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Thats the worst song on the album, luckily there's the rest of the album around it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I always like Alligator just as much as Boxer, and High Violet about as well. I haven't listened to Trouble Will Find Me in a while.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I don't know if Boxer could ever be topped for me. It keeps such an interesting musical style throughout the entire album without wavering or producing a bad song. If I had to rank the rest, it'd be:

High Violet
Alligator
Cherry Tree
Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers
The Virginia EP
Trouble Will Find Me
The National
Boxer

I really like their first two albums compared to most other people. Their entire first album is especially underrated - Theory of the Crows is easily top 5 National songs.

I'm excited to see where Sleep Well Beast will fall on the list. I've listened to all of the live versions of the songs and they're pretty great, but it'll be interesting to see how they work together on the album. There seems to be a higher ratio of slow songs, which I'm worried may become boring.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
The fourth advance single for SWB is just maybe one of the best songs this band has ever done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwZvip416NU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I love Alligator and High Violet, but Boxer is their best in my eyes, as well. Something about how restrained it is - the tension never bursts into catharsis like you'd expect.

"Day I Die" is good as poo poo, by the way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I don't know if Boxer could ever be topped for me. It keeps such an interesting musical style throughout the entire album without wavering or producing a bad song. If I had to rank the rest, it'd be:

High Violet
Alligator
Cherry Tree
Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers
The Virginia EP
Trouble Will Find Me
The National
Boxer

I really like their first two albums compared to most other people. Their entire first album is especially underrated - Theory of the Crows is easily top 5 National songs.

I'm excited to see where Sleep Well Beast will fall on the list. I've listened to all of the live versions of the songs and they're pretty great, but it'll be interesting to see how they work together on the album. There seems to be a higher ratio of slow songs, which I'm worried may become boring.

"This System..." and "Day I Die" alone have more energy than anything on Trouble Will Find Me. Don't get me wrong, Trouble was amazing, but with the exception of "Sea of Love" and the breakdown of "Graceless" it rarely rose above dirge.

"Turtleneck" is also apparently high-energy, maybe one of the liveliest since "Abel."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ThatsMyBoye posted:

The fourth advance single for SWB is just maybe one of the best songs this band has ever done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwZvip416NU
:swoon:

Goddamn I love this so much

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Day I Die" reminds me of U2, when U2 was good. I love it, despite (because?) it sounds like they're singing about my relationship(s)

Also on Alligator talk, "Abel" is one of their top 3 songs.

precision fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 30, 2017

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Boxer is my favorite album of the 00s, but Trouble is also amazing and this new one is shaping up to be a monster.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
Wrong thread!

DirtyCheeseburgers fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 30, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Alligator is easily their best album with Boxer second.

I haven't really felt much from this latest album. It's ok I guess, but honestly is just kinda feelin' like b-side material comped to a full album.

But I'm eager to hear it live since that's where they really shine.

And now that I think about it... I think Alligator is the closest match to their live energy out of all of their albums so maybe that's why I love it?

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Ohhhh

You all gonna hate me.

Trouble Will Find Me is tied with Boxer for second after Alligator.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

TheAbortionator posted:

Ohhhh

You all gonna hate me.

Trouble Will Find Me is tied with Boxer for second after Alligator.

I loved Trouble Will Find Me, haters can eat my entire rear end.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I've always enjoyed The National, less maybe that weird turn they did on Game of Thrones, but Sleep Well Beast is the first album that I've pre-ordered after hearing System on XMU. It's cool and good.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I've always enjoyed The National, less maybe that weird turn they did on Game of Thrones, but Sleep Well Beast is the first album that I've pre-ordered after hearing System on XMU. It's cool and good.

The GOT song was weird, but their Bob's Burgers stuff is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KExughc7RE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsRY9vqr9rA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bjhCBUXsQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwYCq9tT0GU

That last one is super legit.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I saw the National open for, get this.... Barack Obama.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
High Violet
Boxer
Alligator
Cherry Tree
Trouble Will Find Me
The National

I can't get past their early stuff so desperately wanting to be The Strokes

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lid posted:

I can't get past their early stuff so desperately wanting to be The Strokes

da fuq

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

A 320 vinyl version is out there now. I've only managed to listen to about half of it, but it sounds pretty good so far! I'll have to listen to it while driving around to have a really solid opinion, I think.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
There's a lot more synth noodling on this than in their previous albums. It kind of reminds me of El Vy in places.

Like I thought, Walk It Back is easily one of the best tracks on there if not number one.

The main issue right now is that the four singles and Walk It Back/Dark Side of the Gym (which already had decent live cuts a year ago) are by far the most distinctive songs on there, with the exception of Turtleneck, which is just plain weird. The rest kind of sound interchangeable in how low-key they are. I'm kind of disappointed in the studio cut of the opening track too - in the live version Matt sings the last refrain in this plaintive wail that cuts right to the bone, but here they just layer more post-processing on top of his normal croon. The man's really got to cut loose a little more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So psyched for this. The lead up to every release by The National makes me feel many things. It comes at a time when I need it, too!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Apparently they'll be playing Colbert on Thursday. Wish their tour had more US shows, the Chicago shows are the nearest to me but they're in the middle of the week.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
:woop:

:woop:

:edit: The studio version of I'll Still Destroy You is AWESOME.

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 5, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I love how they're willing to trade on their image to do goofy stuff like that.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
If anyone else got their vinyl copy early, the download codes just got up and working. This also means the final studio version will leak soon for the rest of you!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
You can listen to the whole album from NPR here.

It's really good. (System doesn't sound as good live.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
This album seems to continue my trend of thinking the latest album by The National is a disappointment on the first listen, and then by the fifth listen loving it. I wish they would release a live album because as others have said, the way their songs are performed live feel so different. Got tickets to see them in Montreal in December, already pumped.

A lot of standouts but I'll Still Destroy You and Dark Side Of The Gym are in competition for my absolute favourite. I agree that Turtleneck is probably my least favourite. I mean, I wouldn't mind a good rocker from them again like they did on Alligator, and given their political leanings and the events of the last year, I can understand the anger. But it doesn't hit for me. Not a bad song, just kind of feels like a Pearl Jam B-side or something, not a The National song that sounds more layered the more you play it.

Oh, and put me on the side of the scale that thinks High Violet is their best album. Boxer might be the easiest to play from start to finish on the stereo, but High Violet is the only album of theirs that went against the first statement I made in this post: The first time I listened to Terrible Love I got chills both when the background vocals hit and of course the build up on the end, and the first time I listened to Sorrow and Anyone's Ghost, I was singing along by the end.

• Locked thread