Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
A few melee focused ninjas would help a lot towards ammo conservation. Add in the outlander for hoovering up the map and a constructor for building/repairing/BASE for defenses, should make it feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Do the sts maps have a lot of fragments for outlanders? Or are the fragment skills basically useless?

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
We did a 7 day 40+ last night and yeah I don't see myself doing a 14 day any time soon. I do recommend relying heavily on traps for the basic dudes just to conserve ammo though, and focus on sniping lobbers/propane. I went through about 500 nuts and bolts on traps and maybe 2k rounds of sniper ammo. I also finished the 1k kills with traps quest in a single mission, though.

An outlander making a point to bring back llamas +supply drop are also both super handy. There are a bunch of fragments all over the place.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I really like the event, except the actual survival thing.

I think I has been incredible lucky. Got invited to a 14 days defense on day 10, so only did 4 days. Still my hands where sweaty and killed my stockpiles of mats.

PS4 has a extremely unpleasant bug that make everything feels like swiming in quicksands. Hope is fixed soon.

Edit:

what the hell!, not only they fixed the slugginess, now it feels like solid 60 FPS?!

Tei fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 30, 2017

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The new mode is cool but has done nothing for the problem the game already had where you spend way too much time punching trees, rocks, and appliances instead of shooting zombies and building forts.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Great Beer posted:

The new mode is cool but has done nothing for the problem the game already had where you spend way too much time punching trees, rocks, and appliances instead of shooting zombies and building forts.

The group I've been playing with has noticed that we're doing a TON less farming for materials than before. As you get higher up (we're low level canny valley,) they changed the drop rates so stuff starts dropping way more materials, and they re-balanced the pickaxe damage scaling so harvesting actually gets faster rather than slower.

That being said, there's apparently a nasty bug that's kicking entire teams on the night->day transition after night 12 in Survive the Storm. I'm holding off on playing that mode for now.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

BabelFish posted:

The group I've been playing with has noticed that we're doing a TON less farming for materials than before. As you get higher up (we're low level canny valley,) they changed the drop rates so stuff starts dropping way more materials, and they re-balanced the pickaxe damage scaling so harvesting actually gets faster rather than slower.

That being said, there's apparently a nasty bug that's kicking entire teams on the night->day transition after night 12 in Survive the Storm. I'm holding off on playing that mode for now.

The pickaxe damage was a bug, actually. I mathed it out on a napkin once and the values from the tree couldn't possibly be combining together to produce the damage numbers we were seeing. Also, altering the encounter rewards so you get the region appropriate string/ore/parts/dust instead of mountains of worthless copper and rusty parts cuts down on how much mindless smashing you have to do.

Pubbie mentality will still lead to people spending way too much time farming by both farming very badly and building too much.

ADDING: And survival for 4 hours is basically catering to the worst impulses of the worst pubbies. Ugh. The reward would be better as: survive for four hours in one shot, OR 8 hours over 8 missions with a faster enemy ramp-up. As it is, there's too much risk with pushing yourself instead of doing the safest content you can.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 31, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like the addition of the modifiers during missions, are those permanent or are they also just a temporary event.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I've been enjoying the game so far, but since the update most games I try to join hang indefinitely in the loading screen. Can't seem to see any pattern to it, and I haven't been able to get into any non-Survive the Storm games to stock up on crafting materials, so I put in a report and I guess I'm out of luck until they fix it.

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
Did my first 40+ 14 day. Was a lot of fun and had a good group, but 4 hours is pretty drat long and I'm completely exhausted of all materials including malachite. Ended off with a mythic survivor and crappy purple hydraulic gun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Snipping a few minutes off each wave would do wonders. Escalate quicker, but individual waves are shorter.

Also, I'm annoyed that players destroying your traps with their pick axes doesn't return materials. I lost a load of crafting materials because some jackass instantly went behind me and broke up all my murder tunnels, only to replace them with his and his buddy's. No communication or anything. :mad:

I spent the rest of the match replacing that poo poo and left the generator to die. Got angry messages afterwards but gently caress 'em. At least tell me the reasons why you're wasting my stuff.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Snipping a few minutes off each wave would do wonders. Escalate quicker, but individual waves are shorter.

Also, I'm annoyed that players destroying your traps with their pick axes doesn't return materials. I lost a load of crafting materials because some jackass instantly went behind me and broke up all my murder tunnels, only to replace them with his and his buddy's. No communication or anything. :mad:

I spent the rest of the match replacing that poo poo and left the generator to die. Got angry messages afterwards but gently caress 'em. At least tell me the reasons why you're wasting my stuff.

Sometimes you meet somebody with a completely different idea for building. What I do in these events is let then build and wait to see if what they do works or not. If their stuff works, good, if not I let them see how it don't work and patch it.

Everybody is in a different point in the learning curve of building good forts, but this is still a coop game and you have to let others learn in the process.

I draw the line in building the objetive walls with wood. If you do that, gently caress you and your sister, I am gonna remove that poo poo or build a iron pyramid on top of it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why are pyramids so popular anyway? I make them as well, but that's because I'm copying everyone rather than because I understand the reasons.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Why are pyramids so popular anyway? I make them as well, but that's because I'm copying everyone rather than because I understand the reasons.

It's very solid while also keeping a clean view over the rest of the base/field. The roof is the weakest, so most husks will stand on top of it, allowing you to defend objectives from far away.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Pyramids are not the only answer to every problem, but are simple and just work. I believe soldiers prefer pyramids to any other setup because is easy to kill the 2 mobs picking at the top of it from afar.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Pyramids are resources efficient as far as protection goes, plus enemies will path onto and up a pyramid instead of attacking the first part they touch. I believe chargers will run up and NOT hit anything, but I could be wrong.

Quad walls are usually my go-to if I have the space. Vertical wall as close to the objective as I can, then a ramp sloping from my head down to the bottom of the vertical wall, then a 1x2 floor tile, placed underneath the ramp, then a vertical wall again. It's a lot of building HP in one "tile," so it works very well to dissuade enemies from attacking it. Place it on an entrance you don't want enemies to use, or just surround your fort in it.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Husks used to be completely incapable of attacking downwards and the pyramid meta infected people's brains. Now that doesn't work and people make bad post-hoc justifications for why they continue to build pyramids. Nobody is ever punished for it because while the game is ready to gently caress you if your schematic luck is bad, once you get past the pay wall into good-schematic having the game is easy and it's almost impossible to be underleveled for content.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Pyramids looking cool is the only reason I ever build them.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Bakalakadaka posted:

Legitimately, unironically a good reason to build pyramids.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

sushibandit posted:

STS is pretty fun and good overall, but I'd be absolutely sure to craft a few set of backup weapons, completely fill up on ammo, and stock up on everything else before starting a round. I played through the 3-day rank 40 mission and it burned through ~18k rounds of ammo and all of my crafting materials. Probably didn't help that the 3 pubbies were all rating 20 in a drat rating 40 mission.

I legitimately don't know how a group could physically stock up on enough supplies to last a 14-day match unless they had a dedicated outlander spending the entire time running around collecting stuff, and even in that case you'd eventually run out of ammo and the supplies to craft more. Maybe relying on extreme kill tunnels with lots of traps to take care of all the fodder? Will be interesting to see how people handle it.

Also of note:
* no bonus objectives
* it took almost an hour to play the 3-day mission
* rewards were 200 tickets and 2 green weapon schematics

I'm an indicated power 28, and the matchmaking refuses to put me in anything lower than 40 in Plankerton, i.e. clicking the "find match" and letting it find me a random game is level 40 every loving time. I get no XP for level equivalent maps, I assume my secret hidden commander level must be stupidly high or something. My weapons and characters are all 40-50 indicated power (level 20 purples / oranges) and I'm not sure if that's contributing to me being put in "overlevelled" content.

I can hold my own against l40 enemies, but I'm sure the randoms in the match are cursing me for leeching off them or something.

Also for materials, can you access your storm shield stash in the STS maps? I've only been stockpiling metal in mine for over the top building, but I've got spare slots for several stacks of bolts and other bits for the survival mode if need be. Pathfinder Jess is great for making sure you have too many basic crafting materials using up all your spare backpack space XD

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Bakalakadaka posted:

Same.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Bakalakadaka posted:

They look sweet.
But enemies -can- still be encouraged to pile up on the roof where they are easy to pick off, and you can just hover on the apex murdering anything that makes it through your kill funnels, ready to engage in any direction.

They are also immune to Smasher charges - they just run up and overtop instead of, you know, smashing them.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have found a enormous flaw with their event systems that hurt my enjoyement.

When I get home from work, it seems just after the area reset, so theres very littel event storms I can do, and the ones available are very high level. When the storm spreads is time for me to go to sleep.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
If you're concerned about part count, pyramids let you fully enclose an atlas with 9 pieces (assuming you dont need floors) instead of 17 for the plus sign or 21 for a full 9x9 using only straight walls. Other than that, yeah they have minor sightline benefits.

Anyway, though this does have some fun gameplay and plenty of potential, there's too little in the way of goals you can directly work towards in this game. There's just too much RNG. I mean, I *knew* it from day 1, but it finally hit me in a way that killed my desire to play more. Might check it out again in a year or two assuming the servers are still running.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

metasynthetic posted:

If you're concerned about part count, pyramids let you fully enclose an atlas with 9 pieces (assuming you dont need floors) instead of 17 for the plus sign or 21 for a full 9x9 using only straight walls. Other than that, yeah they have minor sightline benefits.

Anyway, though this does have some fun gameplay and plenty of potential, there's too little in the way of goals you can directly work towards in this game. There's just too much RNG. I mean, I *knew* it from day 1, but it finally hit me in a way that killed my desire to play more. Might check it out again in a year or two assuming the servers are still running.

The reason why pyramids are bad is that, sure, you can spend 9 pieces for 1 layer of thickness (that concentrates all the husks into one point and as such is weaker than a wider surface of attack is). And you can spend 1 piece to double up the roof which makes it roughly as durable as the plus sign. But the 3x3 can add a second layer for 8 pieces, and then a third layer for 8 pieces. Both without affecting your trapping ability. A fourth and fifth layer can be had for 16 pieces each. A second pyramid layer costs 25 pieces. A third layer is either 49 pieces, or possibly it's cheaper to build all the internal support struts. So the instant you're playing at content that isn't so brain-dead easy you can get by with a single layer of defenses, the pyramid stops being efficient.

Finally, standard husks are literally there to soak up shots for actually threatening husks. You need to let 10 of them group up on a single wall segment before they start doing appreciable damage, and they have so little health that traps can actually sweep them without building death tunnels (unless you're using underleveled traps, like 90% of the playerbase). Fighting from on top of a pyramid leaves you vulnerable to standard husks. Fighting from atop or within a 3x3 blockhouse means the basic husks have to knock down walls before they can hurt you. Which they cannot do on their own.

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012
Im really enjoying this game(probably helps that the RNG gods love me on this game got loads of legendary stuff and mythic ramerez who is OP).

The first part of the game is too easy to the point where im having to convince people to keep playing to get to the second zone because they get bored of how loving easy it is.

Is anyone playing on xbox? Would like some nerds to play with makes the game much more fun and pubbies in this game can make your life poo poo.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Just finished a 14-day storm. However, I'm power 29, and your choices are to either do the 40+ and get slaughtered, or do the lower one and get no XP. They need something in the middle.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Just went through the motions on a 14-day storm, level 15+. I'm power level 45, but that hardly matters because someone in our group at 25ish was at the FORT caps for the mission. It was easy, so I also spent some of the time testing out various traps to see what types are usable and what types are garbage.

I think that (aside from silver and copper, because there's almost none in the entire map) I left with more resources than I entered with. Sure I'm down about 150 heavy bullets, but the game pours building materials on you and there's plenty of time to go get more wood and stone on top of that.

Onto the traps.

Wall spikes: Garbage. Even when you're at the tech cap and using traps 10 levels higher than the mobs. They really do take 2 seconds to reload, and since they take multiple hits to kill basic husks they completely fail at the purpose of a trap, killing basic husks so you don't have to.

Floor spikes: Also garbage. They are, at least, properly AoE traps. But they take ages to kill basic husks. If you're relying on floor spikes you'll have to repair your walls much more frequently than the good traps. Kind of sort of workable for killing basic husks if you build a huge funnel. But a good trap would be able to do the same amount of damage in 1/10th the space for 1/2 the cost.

Wall dynamos: Questionable, with more testing needed. A husk that is attacking the wall that a dynamo is attached to won't take any damage from the dynamo. The dynamo takes long enough to trigger that a husk can walk from the trigger radius right up to the wall before it fires. So, maybe they're useful for lining tunnels, but they don't do anything when they're attacked directly.

Wall darts: Good. Wall darts take no bolts and kill husks that are attacking the wall you put the darts on. But you can't use them to sweep perpendicular walls clear. The darts attack the center of the tiles they fire through. So no cheeky setups like:
Darts -> ________ <- Darts

Retracting spikes: Good. They straight up kill basic husks on their tile. You have to build a floor for them, which kind of sucks, but they do the job of traps with no complaints.

Electric Field (Ceiling AoE): Good, with more testing desired. I don't know exactly what their trigger radius is, but they zap basic husks dead and have enough range to catch them as they move through the tile. You have to build a ceiling for them, which really sucks because the safest place to attack husks is from above them. They also detonate propane tanks, so you have to explode those before they get close.

Ceiling Gas Trap: Really good. After activating a ceiling gas trap is still deadly to basic husks for several seconds. Sure all those husks may get a hit in before they die, but that's less hits than the garbage traps allow. Cons are the same as the electric field, plus the gas trap requires fibrous herbs to craft which are dull as poo poo to gather.

Non damage traps: Not garbage but not good except in situational uses. Yes, it's incredibly awesome when a wall launcher tosses a smasher down into a basement. But these all require terrain to be good, and none of them will kill basic husks. Play around with them to figure out when to use them.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Disagree on floor spikes and wall launchers. Floor spikes are useful since they slow down mobs, thus letting things like wall dynamos and your various ceiling traps get more hits in. Similarly wall launchers are great for keeping mobs off the walls you don't want them to break. As a bonus neither of them take nuts and bolts so most of the time you can just poo poo them out all over the place.

A wall launcher with two tiles of floor spikes leading up to it is my go-to trap setup for most critical walls, as by the time the mobs make it back through the spikes, the wall launcher is ready to launch again. Nothing is getting one shot, but they end up dead without firing a shot all the same so who cares?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Gas traps are far and above the cream of the crop of murder dispensing - though they share the same weakness as most other non-front-wall-traps to Hanks (propane men)

One little extra-wasteful but effective technique is to build yourself ceilings out and above the enemy spawn points. Ceilings are NOT destroyed by the spawns, and if you fill the area with gas it will utterly murder the husks as they are birthed into the world, leaving only the fatties to be killed.
This however requires upkeep for the occasional Hank that explodes there.

Vertical launchers work very nicely for bunching husks up before they hit your more lethal traps, especially if you are using single aoe-burst style traps like the ceiling and wall dynamos, and don't want husks slipping into the gaps.

My most used is a two-tile-deep entrance tunnel with:

Enemy movement =====>>>

___Gas___+__Dynamo__ <Ceiling

__Spikes_+_Retractable <Floor

Be sure to upgrade the entrance tunnel to level 3 (or 2 if metal) at least, so that they survive a Hank exploding inside.

On the softer maps you can get away with just the gas/spike single tile deep entrance.

If you like, put up a dart launcher facing the tunnelway so that hit hits enemies that make it into the second tile (if you have room). This lets you harvest light husks in the first tile, and heavies do not *usually survive the second.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

M2tt posted:

Disagree on floor spikes and wall launchers. Floor spikes are useful since they slow down mobs, thus letting things like wall dynamos and your various ceiling traps get more hits in. Similarly wall launchers are great for keeping mobs off the walls you don't want them to break. As a bonus neither of them take nuts and bolts so most of the time you can just poo poo them out all over the place.

A wall launcher with two tiles of floor spikes leading up to it is my go-to trap setup for most critical walls, as by the time the mobs make it back through the spikes, the wall launcher is ready to launch again. Nothing is getting one shot, but they end up dead without firing a shot all the same so who cares?

In one game we had a fort near a building, and everyone tore the building down to the basement and put a wall launcher a couple of tiles next to it, and husks would bounce off of it and fall into the pit we made. It was pretty neat.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the pyramid feedback, guys. Still gonna build them because they look really neat but I understand the practical reason behind them now!

Also I just got a tiny llama with a baby voice that squeaked "teeny treasures!" when I opened him. :buddy:

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
So something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet... You know how people were saying "if you could get schematics randomly from missions that would fix everything?" I don't agree with that, but currently you can get schematics (and epic transform keys) randomly from missions. And not just the long survival missions. Regular missions have a slim chance to reward schematics that are weak for the content and transform keys that aren't. (Possibly improving with reward chest level. I haven't looked into it, but I would assume so.)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
No, that doesn't really fix the gambling aspect. What people don't like is there is no way to work towards a specific goal, you just get to work towards more dice rolls. If they allowed trading of schematics/heroes, it would fix most things. Whales will gamble and get things, and then sell the excess to people who don't want to gamble and use their V bucks wisely. V bucks still ultimately get spent on llamas, but with much less resentment towards the game and more happy people.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheBlandName posted:

So something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet... You know how people were saying "if you could get schematics randomly from missions that would fix everything?" I don't agree with that, but currently you can get schematics (and epic transform keys) randomly from missions. And not just the long survival missions. Regular missions have a slim chance to reward schematics that are weak for the content and transform keys that aren't. (Possibly improving with reward chest level. I haven't looked into it, but I would assume so.)

Problem with this is 90% of the time its a green or blue and greens and blues have level caps making them useless halfway through the game, that's the real kicker overall with the gambling system is that people say "you don't need purps" but you do because your blue can only go to level 20 which doesn't help when bullet sponge enemies start popping up and you need a level 30 or 40 weapon to even kill them in a dozen headshots.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
As I said, I don't think things are fixed right now. I don't think a market would be a good fix either. That would allow market barons to take advantage of the whales as well, and wouldn't really fix the core problem. Which is that you have to roll the following things all at once.

1: Desired item type.
2: Good quality (epic is serviceable but makes thing 4 harder.)
3: Actually good/desired variant of item type (slam dunk example: precision tactical shotguns are garbage, being worse than pumps at close range and shredders at long range).
4: Good traits on weapons/traps.

That's ARPG levels of chance for getting a good item, but attached to real money slot pulls instead of 100s of drops per hour farming.

EDIT:

socialsecurity posted:

Problem with this is 90% of the time its a green or blue and greens and blues have level caps making them useless halfway through the game, that's the real kicker overall with the gambling system is that people say "you don't need purps" but you do because your blue can only go to level 20 which doesn't help when bullet sponge enemies start popping up and you need a level 30 or 40 weapon to even kill them in a dozen headshots.

Can't blue weapons go up to level 40? I know the heroes can. That doesn't change that blues aren't really suitable for final gearing, or that by using blue schematics and survivors you'll have to do a stupid amount of survivor leveling to break into each new region.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 4, 2017

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

TheBlandName posted:

As I said, I don't think things are fixed right now. I don't think a market would be a good fix either. That would allow market barons to take advantage of the whales as well, and wouldn't really fix the core problem. Which is that you have to roll the following things all at once.

1: Desired item type.
2: Good quality (epic is serviceable but makes thing 4 harder.)
3: Actually good/desired variant of item type (slam dunk example: precision tactical shotguns are garbage, being worse than pumps at close range and shredders at long range).
4: Good traits on weapons/traps.

That's ARPG levels of chance for getting a good item, but attached to real money slot pulls instead of 100s of drops per hour farming.

EDIT:

Can't blue weapons go up to level 40? I know the heroes can. That doesn't change that blues aren't really suitable for final gearing, or that by using blue schematics and survivors you'll have to do a stupid amount of survivor leveling to break into each new region.

How does trading not fix it? One way or the other, to get things fast will require spending VBucks. A market will allow you to spend 1000 vbucks to get Mythic Ramirez, instead of 10,000 on llamas and it still doesn't drop. And people getting dupes will no longer need to curse so, as they can potentially sell them instead of recycling them. No rolling required, you get exactly what you want.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

How does trading not fix it? One way or the other, to get things fast will require spending VBucks. A market will allow you to spend 1000 vbucks to get Mythic Ramirez, instead of 10,000 on llamas and it still doesn't drop. And people getting dupes will no longer need to curse so, as they can potentially sell them instead of recycling them. No rolling required, you get exactly what you want.

Lots of freemium games have a market, and lots of freemium games are dead except for a core of devoted whales. Well, it's probably more accurate to say addicted, rather than devoted. A market and the ability to save up for X instead of rolling for X does not change that Fortnite is a game where one Legendary Siegebreaker can be twice as effective as another Legendary Siegebreaker and both are more effective than a Legendary Backbreaker.

From my take on Fortnite, the problem of "I can't work towards something specific" isn't the real, core problem that results in a pay wall. It's "99% of all schematics are garbage."

To make a comparison to another (successful, but not freemium) game: Fortnite with a market would be Path of Exile, except you can't actually farm for currency and the people selling items can't farm for them.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

TheBlandName posted:

Lots of freemium games have a market, and lots of freemium games are dead except for a core of devoted whales. Well, it's probably more accurate to say addicted, rather than devoted. A market and the ability to save up for X instead of rolling for X does not change that Fortnite is a game where one Legendary Siegebreaker can be twice as effective as another Legendary Siegebreaker and both are more effective than a Legendary Backbreaker.

From my take on Fortnite, the problem of "I can't work towards something specific" isn't the real, core problem that results in a pay wall. It's "99% of all schematics are garbage."

To make a comparison to another (successful, but not freemium) game: Fortnite with a market would be Path of Exile, except you can't actually farm for currency and the people selling items can't farm for them.

That's not a great example, as Path of Exile is doing very well, AFAIK. Ideally, Fortnite will try to match Warframes Freemium model as much as possible, as that is still going very strong. A market fixes a bunch of problems that exist now, even if it doesn't make everything perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
How is Path of Exile being successful make it a poor example? You realize that I was saying Fortnite with trading would be like Path of Exile except for the part where nobody can earn money to buy anything and nobody can get any items to sell?

And I've given some thought to how Fortnite might match (though less fairly) the Warframe model. Basically, each mission would have to drop somewhere in the order of two dozen survivors and schematics of varying rarities, instead of experience. Survivor bonuses would also have to be adjusted to be the most important factor, rather than the least. Finally sell an item in the store (and rarely available from timed alerts) that's needed for every 3* evolution. Boom, Warframe's mod economy roughly simulated in schematics. Still less fair than the Warframe economy because in Warframe you only need a given mod once, while this hypothetical Fortnite economy requires you to get a weapon with good traits all at once and, bleh.

Basically, both Warframe and Path of Exile are functional without trading to me. Fortnite is not. Suggesting that adding trading will make it functional like Warframe or Path of Exile is not something I would agree with.

EDIT: Fundamentally, in both Warframe and Path of Exile (though GGG doesn't admit this and sort of tries to stop it) currency flows from the whales to the regular players. In Warframe the whales buy platinum for the purpose of buying rare mods and prime parts from people who hardcore grind the game. In GGG the whales buy currency through RMT sites to buy exceptionally well rolled gear from people who hardcore grind the game. Adding trading to Fortnite will result in non-whales saving up the trickle of daily income to buy cast-off poo poo gear from the whales so the whales can pull the slot machine handle another time. This does not suggest a functional economy to me.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 5, 2017

• Locked thread