Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arglebargle III posted:

M&C is a perfect subject for a prestige miniseries with a big CG budget.

I think the prohibitive factor has been all the water. Filming boat stuff is ludicrously xpensive, as is filming period, so together it's just prohibitive for a TV budget.

Maybe CGI will change that with time. They did do Sharpe, but Sharpe didn't have water. Honestly I expect Temeraire on the TV before Aubrey, which is just sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the prohibitive factor has been all the water. Filming boat stuff is ludicrously xpensive, as is filming period, so together it's just prohibitive for a TV budget.

Maybe CGI will change that with time. They did do Sharpe, but Sharpe didn't have water. Honestly I expect Temeraire on the TV before Aubrey, which is just sad.

It would be better to compare it to Hornblower.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

they need to figure out how to film ocean water in miniature

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

they need to figure out how to film ocean water in miniature

You just have to pick the right viscosity.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just do an Anime adaptation ala Legend of the Galactic Heroes. :v:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can someone explain why naming the Gunner's cat "Scourge" was so funny?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Which it was the bosun's cat!

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
To elaborate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_o%27_nine_tails

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Arglebargle III posted:

M&C is a perfect subject for a prestige miniseries with a big CG budget.

It is sad that we live in a world where "Black Sails" is a thing, but we can't have a book to season adaptation of Master and Commander. Its not even like M&C are missing sex and violence most of it is just implied in the novels. Just add in storylines for the intelligence war at home, in France, someone before the mast etc.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm counting every ship that ran aground while under his command.

These books are full of foreshadowing; the very first speaking line Elliott has is apologizing for ignoring orders he didn't think were important.

loving love this. Every time I re-read the books I pick up on some little thing I didn't notice (or didn't think about the implications of) before.

Example: in Post Captain, Scrivens, an incompetent footpad (having been a clerk who lost his job and fell on hard times) is taken on as a lackey by Stephen. Whilst celebrating Tom Pullings' promotion to Lt ashore, Stephen sees Scrivens' 'questing head enter the room' and boom, the bailiffs flood in to arrest Jack for debt. It's never mentioned or discussed again, but he sold Jack's location, betraying Stephen's confidence. There's tons of stuff like that which I missed the first time (I was only a teenager when I first read them)

I wouldn't really want a TV series. The film, while not 100% perfect - it's not feasible to film two men being quite as reserved and tactful as Aubrey and Maturin are supposed to be, as the gentleman's code of their time demanded - is very, very good. No conventional TV series could exist without alternately simplifying and embroidering the bits that are so apt in the books.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm going to go all Marge Simpson and write a letter to HBO right now

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Did anyone figure out what the evil spirit was supposed to be when the crew was tracking across the Sinai? I was sure Steven would go kill it and have it turn out to be an exotic animal of some sort, but nope.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was an owl.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yup.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I heard back from HBO, they told me they don't accept unsolicited ideas and advised me to get an agent :shrug:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Professor Shark posted:

I heard back from HBO, they told me they don't accept unsolicited ideas and advised me to get an agent :shrug:

Get a Fugger.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Or maybe a couple of Hoares

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Stephen, recollect yourself!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No reproduction without copulation!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why dors Jack paint his little cannons brown instead of leaving them raw brass like the crew wants (with them scrapping the paint little by little)?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Professor Shark posted:

Why dors Jack paint his little cannons brown instead of leaving them raw brass like the crew wants (with them scrapping the paint little by little)?

Keeping them shiny is an immense amount of work in terms of polishing and does nothing to keep the ship battle ready, it's purely aesthetic.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

To stop the crew from polishing them.

I doubt it matters for a massive brass cannon but polishing can render certain equipment non-functional over time. Anything that require a precise fit will be destroyed by years of polishing.

In the Camperdown disaster the Royal Navy discovered that their water-tight hatches had been rendered useless by overzealous polishing.

Also it can lead to operational headaches like the officers not training the crews on the brass cannons because that would require hours of polishing to get them shiny afterwards. Again in the 19th century Royal Navy the gunroom heads were kept locked and unused because polishing the metal took too much time. The officers judged it was better to use the enlisted head than use up man-hours polishing the gunroom head. Not having a polished gunroom head was apparently not an option.

It was an open secret that ships would dump practice rounds overboard rather than foul the paint by doing gun drills.

The late 19th century RN was hilariously dysfunctional.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 24, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just to make things clear, this kind of polishing requires grinding, yes?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The difference between polishing and grinding is only one of degrees.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Arglebargle III posted:

The movie is great and as faithful as you can expect. There isn't really an ending so it's perfect in that respect.

I completely loathed the movie, could not stand Crowe as Aubrey or Bettany as Maturin, the intertwining of the plots of three different books made a sequel nigh impossible to write, and the whole movie overall was trite and hokey. I don't even think I finished it. I had to go and re-read Desolation Island afterwards to rinse my palate.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Heliogabalos posted:

I completely loathed the movie, could not stand Crowe as Aubrey or Bettany as Maturin, the intertwining of the plots of three different books made a sequel nigh impossible to write, and the whole movie overall was trite and hokey. I don't even think I finished it. I had to go and re-read Desolation Island afterwards to rinse my palate.

Having re-watched the film just now, I agree. It was a struggle to finish whereas I rather enjoyed it when it came out, although I hadn't read the books.

Here's a question: what was the function of the marines on board a navy ship (beyond the obvious) and how did they fit into the command structure? I'm reading The Far Side of the World again and there's a part where everyone is lined up for divisions. Jack is surveying everyone when he comes to the marines and his internal monologue goes along the lines of how their faces are impersonal and nameless despite having sailed with them for months. I understand they have their own commanding officer - in this instance, Howard - but what were their actual day-to-day duties? It certainly sounds like they're not helping sail the ship and are rather clustered away elsewhere for Jack to not know them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are there to put down mutinies.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Also to provide trained help for combat,, I think.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Octy posted:

Having re-watched the film just now, I agree. It was a struggle to finish whereas I rather enjoyed it when it came out, although I hadn't read the books.

Here's a question: what was the function of the marines on board a navy ship (beyond the obvious) and how did they fit into the command structure? I'm reading The Far Side of the World again and there's a part where everyone is lined up for divisions. Jack is surveying everyone when he comes to the marines and his internal monologue goes along the lines of how their faces are impersonal and nameless despite having sailed with them for months. I understand they have their own commanding officer - in this instance, Howard - but what were their actual day-to-day duties? It certainly sounds like they're not helping sail the ship and are rather clustered away elsewhere for Jack to not know them.

The Marines are a detachment aboard ship with their own officers. Usually the head is a captain, who reports directly to the ship's captain. Probably a lieutenant on smaller ships (I want to say it was one on the Sophie). As stated above, they're there to enforce order on the ship (including guarding things, like the captain's cabin), and provide help in combat (shooting muskets from the rigging and manning cannons during battles, boarding ships, assaults on land).

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

hannibal posted:

The Marines are a detachment aboard ship with their own officers. Usually the head is a captain, who reports directly to the ship's captain. Probably a lieutenant on smaller ships (I want to say it was one on the Sophie). As stated above, they're there to enforce order on the ship (including guarding things, like the captain's cabin), and provide help in combat (shooting muskets from the rigging and manning cannons during battles, boarding ships, assaults on land).

Well, it still seems odd that Jack wouldn't interact with them if they're guarding his cabin and what not, although that's about the only time I can think of that he specifically refers to them. At any rate, it sounds like they had a relatively easy job. Not many opportunities for misadventure outside of combat, I suppose.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Man, going through The Yellow Admiral again reminded me just how senseless young Gagin's death was. That's probably the point, though. Also, it reinforces just how gross Mrs. Williams is.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You guys are out to lunch, the movie was great

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

You guys are out to lunch, the movie was great

Yeah. It's one of my favorite films!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah. It's one of my favorite films!

Yeah, the production design, costumes and the amazing sound design alone are worth watching it. Sure, it's not a 1:1 translation of a book or the characters, but it captures the atmosphere very lovingly.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnomDilySlA

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Pyrotechnics!?

Lame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_FwBZ6sdTY

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

E: Wrong thread.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

An obvious nod to Jack's use of firework powder. :colbert:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm very slowly getting through Far Side of the World and just finished up the chapter with the murder/suicide :stare:

Did Maturin do *something* to kill Horner after his almost successful suicide attempt?

He's alive when Stephen cuts him down, then when Stephen doesn't get the response he wanted from Martin, they get into a debate, at the end of which Stephen says it doesn't matter because Horner is now dead.

I may be reading into it too much, but Stephen being sly and very capable of murder made me think he might have helped Horner, especially after he dropped how embarrassing and cruel it would be to revive an attempted suicider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I doubt it. I think he merely omitted to attempt a heroic treatment.