Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Imperial splendor and rights of man are the two decent Empire mods, but there's only so much you can do to patch up Empire's broken engine.

People talk about how Rome 2's launch caused damage to creative assembly, but Rome 2 has nothing on just how bad Empire is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Every once in a while I remember the scale and potential of Empire, install it and the new hot mod, then play for a few turns before getting frustrated with something in it, usually with the braindead battle AI making most of battles feel the same.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Sadly I think it has been years since TROM was updated (chances are something is broken) and we're still waiting for Imperial Splendour (III) team to update that loving mod already god.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Napoleon and the subsequent games had the right idea by going back to the Kingdoms style expansions and focusing on smaller regions. If the Warhammer games succeed in connecting multiple theaters the way Empire tried, I will be impressed.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I'm playing Darthmod for Napoleon now and actually enjoying it, the larger unit sizes and new smoke effects are pretty nice :shobon:

Putting Star Wars poo poo in random places in the UI is obnoxious but honestly not that intrusive.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Pleasure Houses building line the Aksum/Hymiar/Lakhmids get is the most bullshit thing in any Total War game. Cheap building line that can give up to 3500 Industry cash in every province capital at the cost of keeping a priest there? Hello infinite money!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Playing medieval 2 for the first time. When I press space to show where my units are headed, the green highlight only appears for a split second. So I have to rapid fire it to get a good feel for the whole army. Glitch? Need to rebind?

I like it so far but I can already notice some frustrating things. HRE and England declared war on me, France. I'm crushing them and they refuse to make peace. About five provinces conquered between the two of them. I was also kicked out of the church for not making peace with HRE, even though they started the war.

Edit: rereading last page I didn't realize one of those fix mods had a non sperg realism option so I think I'll to check that out

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 7, 2017

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

I was also kicked out of the church for not making peace with HRE, even though they started the war.

You don't have to make peace with them when the Pope makes that demand. You just have to not attack them for the duration of the mission (10 turns, I think?).
Take the opportunity to retrain troops and recruit some more (with catapults) and as soon as the mission ends, attack en masse. The Pope will probably start screaming at you again, but if you can take 2-3 settlements in the same turn (with catapults), you can cut your enemy in half at once.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also you can just murder the pope

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Oh, that's your answer to everything.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mans posted:

Also you can just murder the pope

Yeah this is what I used to do. Get a good assassin to do it if you can and/or just build a fuckton of big churches in your lands and then you can pick the pope yourself, basically.

I don't know if you can destroy the papacy or not though. I know you can eat all those cities, but beyond that I don't know.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One thing I really liked about pre-Rome 2 TW games that I wish would come back are large factions. I tend to get really bored just steamrolling mini-factions in R2/Attila. I liked having long campaigns against the Gauls or the HRE. It would at least be nice if all of the mini factions found you a threat and allied/confedded up in anticipation of your attack.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 7, 2017

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Any recommendations on how to improve the campaign AI in Attila? Tried Radious as just a base mod and in the two campaigns I tried both Roman empires collapsed within 10 years on normal. Tried with http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?680880-Download-Better-Aggresive-CAI-for-Attila-V-4-2-Official-Release and it seems like none of the migrating barbarians can make any sort of hold on anything (tried both easy and normal since this submod increases the overall difficulty). Any other recommendations on helping the AI keep any semblance of a balanced game?

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012
I am nearing the end of my first independent playthrough of FOTS and I think this is the most fun I have had in a TW game. My financial situation was pretty dire for quite a few turns since the realm divide, and that was even after turtling and building up a war chest pre-divide. Looting rules though, and thanks to 85k from Yamashiro I am hoping that my money troubles are behind me. The entire pro-emperor faction has been rolled up and I am hoping I can just launch a couple of armies by sea to capture Musashi and finalise my victory.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Lowdog posted:

I am nearing the end of my first independent playthrough of FOTS and I think this is the most fun I have had in a TW game. My financial situation was pretty dire for quite a few turns since the realm divide, and that was even after turtling and building up a war chest pre-divide. Looting rules though, and thanks to 85k from Yamashiro I am hoping that my money troubles are behind me. The entire pro-emperor faction has been rolled up and I am hoping I can just launch a couple of armies by sea to capture Musashi and finalise my victory.

Get a trade deal with the British going so you can get their gigantic proto ironclad warship. And apart from using it when you're bored and want to do a naval fight, just spam wooden naval ships in auto resolve battles rather than deal with one enemy ship after another all manually.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Well, Empire:TW is uhhhh ... interesting. :stare:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Arcsquad12 posted:

Get a trade deal with the British going so you can get their gigantic proto ironclad warship. And apart from using it when you're bored and want to do a naval fight, just spam wooden naval ships in auto resolve battles rather than deal with one enemy ship after another all manually.

HMS Warrior is a floating Death Star.
Note that one should NEVER autoresolve with it, because it will take damage or die when you do that. If you fight the battle manually, you can solo full stacks of those crappy wooden ships with your technological terror

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There is something to be said for uss Roanoke though. It's more of a long range sniping ship compared to the Warriors boradsides

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kenzie posted:

It's a known fact personal space wasn't a thing until the 20th century where it was invented by some guy in a university somewhere.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That weird part of the 7 Years War when everyone just sorta became a rat king.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kenzie posted:

"Tight formation"

"Tighter"

"Tighter"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm running into a problem with Rome 2. Every time I click and drag to set up the forces in a formation, they end up moving to a different all shuffled wrong. They never move to where I tell them to. This is in an open field too. I don't have any gameplay mods that effect the battles. Just the 4 turns per year, reduced research time and a traits mod. When I last played this I never ran into this problem. All the mods are up to date as well.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's tricky to get a feel for what's going wrong. Rome II introduced the control scheme (or at least, made it the default) where you can just left-click and hold to drag units around, it can sometimes cause you to drag a unit around when you actually wanted to drag a selection box around a bunch of dudes. Is that it?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Krazyface posted:

It's tricky to get a feel for what's going wrong. Rome II introduced the control scheme (or at least, made it the default) where you can just left-click and hold to drag units around, it can sometimes cause you to drag a unit around when you actually wanted to drag a selection box around a bunch of dudes. Is that it?

As it turns out, nothing is wrong with my game. It's my mouse's right click as it seems to be ultra sensitive and double clicks when I just click it once. I'll have to clean it up a bit and see if that does anything.

Edit: Is it normal for ally AI during battles to be garbage? I was near a city when an ally attacked it and I helped them fight. And by help, I mean I conquered the thing by myself while their entire army stood back in the woods somewhere after the soldiers with ladders were eventually annihilated.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 28, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Owning Shogun 2 and both Warhammers, if I were going to get a cool historical game this sale would it be Rome II or Atilla or are they still bad and should be avoided?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Owning Shogun 2 and both Warhammers, if I were going to get a cool historical game this sale would it be Rome II or Atilla or are they still bad and should be avoided?

I'd get Attila, it's the more interesting of the two for sure although be prepared for it to run like dogshit in comparison to both Shogun 2 and Warhammer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also be aware that Attila is way more lethal than Warhammer. Individual soldiers can take maybe two hits maximum, and javelins tend to murder the gently caress out of them. Spaghetti noodle lines of death are the accepted formation for infantry combat due to getting more people to stab.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Aside from Atilla running poorly they both shaped up to be good games. Rome 2 was very much salvaged from the horrible disaster it started as.

Pick whatever era you think sounds cooler.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Rome 2 if you like hoplites, legionaries and cataphracts in shining armour, Attila if you like hairy, muddy dudes in burlap sacks.

Attila is probably the better game, but its aesthetic isn't for everyone

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

And also, Attila is more of a survival game compared to painting the map in your faction color like in Rome 2.
I'd recommend in Rome 2 the Hannibal DLC and Caesar DLC. Great little focused campaigns.
For Attila, Age of Charlemagne is awesome. It's got great rosters and a cool setting.
For both, get the blood pack :black101:

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Attila is objectively the better made game on a purely technical level, but I honestly think I had a lot more overall fun with Rome 2. All the faction groups feel pretty distinct (which is to say, Epirus, Sparta, and Athens are basically identical but feel distinct from the Romans, Celts, or Carthage) and I generally ended up putting way more hours into it than Attila.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Thanks for the advice, I'll start watching videos and seeing which one I get. Maybe both eventually.

Except the blood DLC. gently caress that gross business practice.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I think Rome II with the DEI mod is really quite solid, I had a lot of fun with it.

Attila I have struggled to really enjoy, although I haven't really tried the bonus campaigns too much yet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Thanks for the advice, I'll start watching videos and seeing which one I get. Maybe both eventually.

Except the blood DLC. gently caress that gross business practice.

The blood is unbundled and sold as DLC is so they can sell the base game with a T rating or equivalent across the globe. The developers have also said that in places that care about it, if it's free DLC the game should be rated as if it's included.

Some countries that have prudish laws like Australia or Germany and would require them to unbundle it for sale there anyway.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've read their statement several times before and it won't change my stance on it. It's a stupid little minor cosmetic thing so I miss NOTHING by not having it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Both Attila and Rome II are fine games. Rome II was a mess at start but CA were very good about supporting it after launch and actually managing to turn it around and make it a pretty drat good games. There are also some pretty good mods for Rome II, especially DeI is really well done, though for myself I can't really play it without the faster battles submod as I find the pace of the battles to be stupidly glacial without it. I must also be one of the only people in the world who always really liked Attila, though that probably has something to do with my own interest for the period and the peoples it features (yes even the "super boring" Germanics), also I really like the survival horror theme of the game, where you will actually find that as time passes your empire regresses rather than becomes stronger, also there's Huns everywhere.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

canyoneer posted:

The blood is unbundled and sold as DLC is so they can sell the base game with a T rating or equivalent across the globe. The developers have also said that in places that care about it, if it's free DLC the game should be rated as if it's included.

Some countries that have prudish laws like Australia or Germany and would require them to unbundle it for sale there anyway.

What doesn't make sense is why it should be twice as expensive as the Shogun 2 blood dlc?

The answer is there's more than one reason for doing things, it's both rating loophole and money milking.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midnightghoul posted:

I think Rome II with the DEI mod is really quite solid, I had a lot of fun with it.

Attila I have struggled to really enjoy, although I haven't really tried the bonus campaigns too much yet.
What does it add exactly?

Fellblade posted:

What doesn't make sense is why it should be twice as expensive as the Shogun 2 blood dlc?

Because they're newer? Or was the original blood DLC price in Shogun cheaper?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mans posted:

What does it add exactly?

iirc it adds a lot of 'realism' to the game, its been a long time tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Here's a one cent dlc so it's technically not part of the game.

Oh wait no it's not that cheap