Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Ballz posted:

That'd be awesome, but I didn't see him in the pilot. I could've missed him, but then again he's kind of a tough guy to miss.

Really happy to see these actors again, Lawrence Gilliard Jr. (D'Angelo) especially. They all really deserve to be in more stuff.

He was the waiter in the breakfast restaurant, pretty early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Sobotka had a recurring role on Third Watch but other than that I have really seen him in anything else.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Sobotka had a recurring role on Third Watch but other than that I have really seen him in anything else.

He had a pretty decent supporting role in true blood, but unfortunately that show got extremely bad by the end

Wasn't his fault though, he was good in it

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
He's in Face/Off, you motherfuckers.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Isnt he machine in that weird rear end nic cage movie with tony soprano?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Pablo Schreiber loving aced the leprechaun in American Gods

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crumbletron posted:

Pablo Schreiber loving aced the leprechaun in American Gods

Holy poo poo, I didn't even recognize him

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

The Wire Food Mega Edit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MScJttWLs3Y

I love YouTube.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

zenguitarman posted:

The Wire Food Mega Edit

I love YouTube.

I didn't think the tautology supercut could be topped, but here we are

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They missed wee-bey with the hot sauce, 0/10

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85FzjM-GkCk

Screen Prism is doing a series on The Wire. They're starting off with McNulty and Good Police

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zenguitarman posted:

The Wire Food Mega Edit

I love YouTube.

Weebay yelling "They had cheese fries, baby!" always puts a smile on my face.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Crab chips, and scrapple are some poo poo I can't get in Wisconsin.

Also "I want a Shrek Surlpee, Bernard! and some Krispy Kreme" cracks me the gently caress up.

About the Deuce, here are a couple Wire connections that I noticed...

This actor playing a kinda crooked cop.

I thought this might be the same actor too, but I'm not sure. But in both scenes there's two guys sitting on a bench talking about the crime game they are playing and the nature of America. These are both in the opening few minutes.

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 7, 2017

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I didn't realize James Franco was playing two characters until they both showed up in the same scene.

Who is making a thread for The Deuce?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I didn't realize James Franco was playing two characters until they both showed up in the same scene.

Professor Shark

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832342&perpage=40

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

theCalamity posted:

Screen Prism is doing a series on The Wire. They're starting off with McNulty and Good Police

This poo poo sure is pointing out obvious things and adding no insight whatsoever.

Thanks for the "STRINGER BELL" text pop-up, I might not've remembered him.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

theCalamity posted:

A few comments on Lester just reminded me that there is no way in hell he would have helped McNulty with the serial killer thing. That was a definite misstep in my opinion.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Just finished a rewatch and one thing is clear.

McNulty was right.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Isnt he machine in that weird rear end nic cage movie with tony soprano?
Yes, and he's fantastic.

"What were you expecting? A monster?"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/WhitlockAcademy/status/920383877461499904

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

deoju posted:

I thought this might be the same actor too, but I'm not sure. But in both scenes there's two guys sitting on a bench talking about the crime game they are playing and the nature of America. These are both in the opening few minutes.

yeah that's method man, wu-tang clan member who has built an acting career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEnwXYJcSZc

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

deoju posted:

Crab chips, and scrapple are some poo poo I can't get in Wisconsin.

Also "I want a Shrek Surlpee, Bernard! and some Krispy Kreme" cracks me the gently caress up.

boner confessor posted:

Method Man is in both shows, but that’s not him on the bench in the Deuce. That’s another rapper, Black Thought from the Roots, that plays Buddy Love. Method Man plays Rodney, the pimp with the straight hair.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 18, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What was the paper that Landsman put in Cole's suit jacket at his wake?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I always assumed it was his final paycheck.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The complete series on Blu-Ray is $49.99 at BestBuy.com.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Season 6 got off to a good (depressing) start.

Death, revenge, and police officers getting jerked around.

However, opportunity appears! What will happen next...

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bwuh??!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think they mean the deuce.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Time to start a debate maybe or something:

I'm planning on rewatching this for the first time. I've seen the whole show exactly once, but it took me from like 2008-2011 to finish it. For my rewatch, should I go for the 4:3 DVDs or the widescreen blus? I figure now we're a few years out from the blu release maybe there would be some consistency in opinions but who knows??

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Escobarbarian posted:

Time to start a debate maybe or something:

I'm planning on rewatching this for the first time. I've seen the whole show exactly once, but it took me from like 2008-2011 to finish it. For my rewatch, should I go for the 4:3 DVDs or the widescreen blus? I figure now we're a few years out from the blu release maybe there would be some consistency in opinions but who knows??

BluRay

They look much better in HD than DVD quality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bluray for sure. Simon was heavily involved in the transfer and did everything he could to make sure it matched the look/feel/intent of the original 4:3 release, and it looks loving amazing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok nice! I definitely remember the conversation around the time of release being how Simon still thought of it as an alternate version, but I never followed up on how the set itself was received. Thanks everyone!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok nice! I definitely remember the conversation around the time of release being how Simon still thought of it as an alternate version, but I never followed up on how the set itself was received. Thanks everyone!

David Simon initially didn't want widescreen remasters, but when HBO just pushed ahead with them he got involved to make sure they were done right.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

boner confessor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEnwXYJcSZc

Uh none of these people are Method Man.

deoju posted:

None of these people are the same actor...

Suxpool fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 10, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think they mean the deuce.

Nah man, The Chi.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I lost count on my rewatches a few years ago. Since 08, I think it’s safe to say I’ve watched The Wire close to 10 Times since then. My last rewatch was with my parents back in 2016, their first time and my first time in HD. I just started my rewatch on New Year’s Eve weekend with the BluRay set I mentioned in my last post. By the way, they look gorgeous. Better picture than HBO Go on Apple TV, at least. I watched the first episode of season 3 last night. And I started a 2nd rewatch w my friend tonight because she’s never seen it.

I just noticed and realized a few things in the first episode (can it be called a pilot? I can’t imagine they made the one to sell it.) that I’ve never noticed and wasn’t sure if they came up. When did we finish the thread rewatch? 2014?

1: I noticed Herc seems to have way more hair.

2: Dee gets off from the bus for his first day back in the game. A small detail with a ton of implications in regards to his income and status.

3: I’m pretty sure I hear the noise from the end of the opening credits, not the chirps but the kind of tone that’s in the last few seconds (reminds me of a water draining out of a bathtub or sink), in the scene where Fitzhugh is showing McNulty the live feed from the dope house.

4: the big one! Based on stuff that comes up w McNulty and his wife and Pearlman... does he dive into the case shortly after he’s out of the house and the divorce starts to roll? Like... him following the Barksdale crew, does that start to happen because he gets beat and then obsesses over them to fill his void?

5: The Pit crew says Johnny burned them for 30... but how much were they buying? Was it supposed to be $40 w 3 fake $10s? Johnny never got the second round of drugs. I thought it looked like three 10s using 2 fake ones. So ultimately, he burned them for $20, and gave them $10 that he had. So he got hosed up over $10? It’s super hosed up no matter what, but drat... $10. But again.. Dee is using a bus pass and he’s management...what scraps are these kids surviving on?

I skimmed the first episode write-up and didn’t see any of this stuff. Wanted to see what people thought or if anyone noticed some of this stuff.

Also, in season 3 episode 2, Herc just mentioned “looks like the Terrace has spread out.” A little terrace/terrorist word play if you read between the lines?

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 11, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

4: the big one! Based on stuff that comes up w McNulty and his wife and Pearlman... does he dive into the case shortly after he’s out of the house and the divorce starts to roll? Like... him following the Barksdale crew, does that start to happen because he gets beat and then obsesses over them to fill his void?

I think that's just McNulty. He was cheating on his wife and got caught, but it was pretty obvious that things weren't going well between them even before that. He's definitely trying to fill a void with his obsession with the case, but I think that void predates the divorce and that marriage, kids, the job etc were all further efforts to fill that void. He was obsessed with being the the smartest guy in the room and the guy who "wins" and that was just never going to happen, so he was never going to be happy and that was always going to result in him lashing out in self-destructive ways - whether destroying his marriage, going behind top brass' back, clashing with Daniels, fudging the law to get the results he wanted, boozing and whoring etc.

The happiest we ever see him is when he realizes he can just treat the job as a job, do his hours and then go home to his girlfriend and her kids, cook dinner, watch some TV and get a good night's sleep. Then he gets that itch to do REAL policework again and it all goes to poo poo because he's chasing something that doesn't exist, and as Freamon warned - the job will not save you.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Oh definitely. Didn’t mean to draw the line of “the divorce pushed McNulty into it” so much as “McNulty’s divorce is a possible direct cause for the downfall of the Barksdale empire.” Like, if Elaina has held off for a few months... would the Barksdale crew have skated by until some major event like high-profile murder, etc? Could Stringer have made it legit if McNulty didn’t have so much free time and anger to point somewhere that one particular summer?

Watching these first four seasons always reinforces how disappointed/dissatisfied I am with season 5. Like, yeah there are fantastical elements like Omar but a lot of it is a very honest, not overly dramatized portrayal of these walks of life, these people, and the systems that are around. And then 5 turns into “Crazy Jimmy and Lester making up a serial killer,” the newspaper storyline is a bit thin but I thought they did an OK job of portraying the pitfalls and consequences of the newspaper industry. Simultaneously the Sun isn’t important enough to be called for perp walks, but a mis-reported story, a made up quote, and it changes the future of the individuals involved but the city as well. I appreciate that they leaned into the issues of mergers, prizes, diminished prestige and importance because the way those influence public discourse is not usually what comes up in portrayals of newspapers. It’s always about the intrepid reporter or reporters fighting for the big story. Not “hey we can’t get photos” and “we can only focus on one thing and we’re gonna do it, it’s because it’s right but because it could get us a Pulitzer.”

Sorry, just had a lot of Wire on the mind the past couple weeks. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think the Barksdales were always going to fall - any group that gets that big is gonna start drawing attention, and increasing territory means increasing "staff" which just ups the potential for things to get sloppy/hosed up. Stringer had the right idea that they reach a certain size and then use the money to go legit and become untouchable, but he approached it the wrong way with that same McNulty mentality of "I'm the smartest guy, I don't need help" and just left himself more exposed. Plus Avon would never have given up his power/reputation for legitimacy, any more than Marlo was able to even after he "won" - and of course as has been noted many times, Stringer wouldn't have gotten to that position where legitimacy was possible if if hadn't been for Avon doing "the other thing".

I think had McNulty never put a bug up the Judge's rear end, one of Avon's lieutenants would have eventually hosed up again like DeAngelo did, or gotten greedy or crossed the wrong hungry young soldier, and that would have lead to violence on the streets and the police would have been dragged in regardless. Somebody would have flipped or Avon would have made a mistake by trying to be on the frontline and end up either arrested or dead, and then we'd you'd get Prop Joe carefully exploitng Stringer's sensibilities via the New Day Co-Op like he'd probably always planned, just without Avon getting involved. If Avon was dead, Joe and Stringer would have left Marlo to hold his streets and just remained in distribution buying drugs for $1 and selling them for $2, and Joe would have quietly ended up the quiet King of East AND West Baltimore... until Cheese managed to gently caress things up for him, at least.