Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

FF7 isn't great by today's standards, but it's definitely still good mechanically if you're into ATB systems. The big problem with it (having gone back to it on the ps4 recently) is that it's very, very slow. The speaking scenes I think are great, they do a lot with the technology of the time, and at the time of release it's really no wonder why it received so much technological praise. Very few games, even nowadays, take the time to make their worlds as deeply rich and interesting and filled with content. The music was (and still is) fantastic, the graphics are charming these days, and materia as a system still holds up.

Say what you will about the story (I think it's dumb but told well), but FF7 was a truly epic experience back in 1997. Games weren't BIG like that, and these days games still aren't big in those same ways.

It actually makes me want to pick up another JRPG, but I feel like so many JRPGs are going the MMO route with skill timers and a bunch of pointless, boring side quests and big empty worlds that are technically expansive but ultimately devoid of humanity. It's why I fell off of that Xenoverse game on the Wii U. It felt like a single player MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The last time I enjoyed a Final Fantasy game was on the Snes, a lot of the offshoots were really good though like My Life as a King and Chocobo's Dungeon.

Does anyone know how to apply backspin in Everybody's Golf? I feel like they told me once, but I can't seem to figure it out.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

Still better than the confusing no map randomness and lovely platforming in KH1

While the platforming was not great, and Monstro is a pretty confusing dungeon, I still want some element of exploration to remain. I liked going around Traverse Town finding all the hidden treasures and stuff; I enjoyed discovering that Wonderland had multiple ways you could flip that one room, which made a small seeming level appear much larger. Exploring Agrabah was cool; it all needed slightly better design and some more fluid movement mechanics (a double jump would help a lot) but I felt that part was just as important as the combat, and when it was rendered so anemic by KH2 I was really let down.

The Mulan level comes to mind particularly, because it felt so cheaply made and rushed. The Tron level was probably the best of the bunch, but it still felt like they were rushing to finish what game they had and couldn't be bothered to make engaging level design.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Kobogartimer posted:

Does anyone else try their best to hit the ball onto the fringe so you're allowed to use your enchanted approach wedge?

You may be joking but my approach wedge has received the upgrade bonus from gaining gallery members 2 or 3 times now so all of its stats are 6 or better and it's already getting used a lot as-is.

Also the character creator is fairly flexible, sorta reminds me of Miis but a bit better. Made a fat, small-headed duck girl last night with another goon on share play, I've since edited her to a small, big-headed demon or goblin.

My current golfers (yes, I am a goony looking gently caress):

Luckily the stats and poo poo are for your profile not the characters, so you can make 8 and then be like "why the gently caress do I have to pay to make 8 more?" and stop.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

katkillad2 posted:

The last time I enjoyed a Final Fantasy game was on the Snes, a lot of the offshoots were really good though like My Life as a King and Chocobo's Dungeon.

Does anyone know how to apply backspin in Everybody's Golf? I feel like they told me once, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Hold down on the d-pad as you're doing the third button press for accuracy.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Sony's parental control page is filled with broken images so I can't decipher their number-to-rating system. Any parents know off-hand which levels correspond to which ratings? I'm trying to block M-rated games and R/NC-17 movies, but I dunno what "level" that corresponds to.

edit: found game ratings here but not movie ratings

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
i like every final fantasy gave i've played except for the NES FF2

note that i haven't played FF10-14

but the rest have their charms, haters to the left

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only genuinely bad ones are 2 and 3, though I personally hate 8 and 1 is too old for me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

No you guys its because FF7 was in 3-loving-D. It was a fully rendered 3-D world with character models that walked around. That was utterly revolutionary and mind-blowing at the time, and no amount of "nostalgia" can over shadow what a huge change of pace it was from pixel RPGs.

where's my legend of dragoon remake then

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

The only genuinely bad ones are 2 and 3, though I personally hate 8 and 1 is too old for me.

3 is severely flawed and the final dungeon is impossible without spending literal days grinding, but the dark knight class that let you hit like 32x per attack was cool as gently caress

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Brightman posted:

You may be joking but my approach wedge has received the upgrade bonus from gaining gallery members 2 or 3 times now so all of its stats are 6 or better and it's already getting used a lot as-is.

Nah not joking. I haven't even gotten the third set of nine holes and my AW hit 10 backdoor which I am sad to report is the max. My putter has like 5.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bloodplay it again posted:

Sony's parental control page is filled with broken images so I can't decipher their number-to-rating system. Any parents know off-hand which levels correspond to which ratings? I'm trying to block M-rated games and R/NC-17 movies, but I dunno what "level" that corresponds to.

edit: found game ratings here but not movie ratings

Inspect Element says:
2 - G
3 - PG
5 - M
7 - 15
9 - 18

EDIT: Not really speaking OFLC, being from Yankeeland, but did they unify game and film ratings at some point? The page markup uses the same icons for both.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 1, 2017

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Brightman posted:

My current golfers (yes, I am a goony looking gently caress):

Haha I made the same creature, but green and elderly.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

mycot posted:

Beyond Good and Evil 2

I really want this to be a good game, but I know it's not going to be, if it ever even makes it to being a game. What's the last thing they released about it? I remember a custscene video ages ago, wasn't there alpha gameplay footage or a tech demo or something after that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheDarkFlame posted:

I really want this to be a good game, but I know it's not going to be, if it ever even makes it to being a game. What's the last thing they released about it? I remember a custscene video ages ago, wasn't there alpha gameplay footage or a tech demo or something after that?

there was a trailer and gameplay footage earlier this year (at e3 I think?). the gameplay was really neat

e: this is an in engine demo and this is the e3 trailer. both from earlier this year; game's not dead

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 1, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheDarkFlame posted:

The footage you are referring to was from a scrapped version. The current version they are showing off looks too good to be true tbh. Kind of feels like No Mans Sky 2.0

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They've released two things so far:

-A CGI trailer about a monkey stealing from a rhino crime boss and getting away on a spaceship.

-A tech demo where they alternate controlling the monkey (with a jetpack) and his spaceship as they fly around the city, around the planet, and around the solar system, seamlessly.

The engine is apparently there but the game design is insanely ambitious and will almost certainly never be fully realized. It's some pure Molyneux-grade madness.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I like how each post is convincing me it's not completely dead but keeping care to not get my hopes up that much. I think I'd be happy as long as it's a better game than Daikatana.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the trailer alone was already a thousand times more entertaining than daikatana so I think you're safe

calm down on the negativity for this game we barely know anything about

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm half-way convinced that BG&E2's reveal is Yves' way of creating a scapegoat so when Vivendi finally takes over and it can get cancelled and they can just go "well THEY decided we shouldn't do it!" to get away scot free.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think my Gold headset might be circling the drain after years of reliable use. Anyone have any recommendations for something better, or should I just get the Gold replaced if I can't fix it? I've always like these headphones - I have sensitive baby ears so the nice big cans were a big help.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
There's a bit more BG&E2 content. The official reveal has a few minutes of Ancel on stage with tears in his eyes at E3 after the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_jCaoJsjOk&t=228s

And there's a walkthrough of the trailer with Ancel & marketing guy calling out details and what the trailer is meant to convey about the game's direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbwUJ468u14

All the information we have is for a strange create your own character GTA in space with seamless transitions from small interiors to solar systems and maybe multiplayer? It's very weird. If it was a crowdfunded game I'd accuse it of being Star Citizen 2. I also keep getting hints of Spore. But luckily, I can just enjoy the impressive tech demo and see how things shake out over the next few years and hopefully we get an amazing game in like 2019/2020.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, I've been out of the loop.

I was like, man, this Fall is gonna be crazy. Red Dead 2, God of War, Spiderman, Days Gone, poo poo is gonna be tight.

Wait. Like every game got pushed back to 2018, didn't it? :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dunno about the rest but lol if you ever thought rdr2 was gonna come out this year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

89 posted:

I was like, man, this Fall is gonna be crazy. Red Dead 2, God of War, Spiderman, Days Gone, poo poo is gonna be tight.

None of those 1st party games have dates yet

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Red Dead Redemption was a game that was more fun to watch than play. But I've had that opinion about pretty much every Rockstar game.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
All I can really tell that's coming out this Fall for PS4 or Xbox is:

Fargo Cry 5
Another Assassin's Creed
Destiny 1.5
Call of Duty: We're Like Battlefield Now
Cuphead

What am I missing on here?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

89 posted:

Fargo Cry 5
Another Assassin's Creed
Destiny 1.5
Cuphead

battlefront 2

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This year got really front loaded with all the good games didn't it?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

89 posted:

Fargo Cry 5
Another Assassin's Creed
Destiny 1.5
Cuphead

Shadow of War

Though whether or not microtransactions are a thing you can ignore or have rendered it unplayable remains to be seen

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

veni veni veni posted:

Sony is pretty smart with getting exclusives early on in the year. The fall gets to be a fight out between all the shootymans and assassin games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

89 posted:

I don't think it was every claimed that any of these were coming out in 2017 ever so saying they were pushed back is a stretch

Anyways, with all that came out this year, who cares if the back end is slightly slower than usual?there's still a few possibly cool things coming like Wolfenstein, Gran Turismo, Shadow of War, Destiny 2, Ruiner, South Park, Dragon's Dogma and while not on PS4, probable goty Mario Odyssey plus I think the switch is also getting a new Kirby game. So we still have some stuff to look forward to. Plus we also have terrible games likes Knack 2 and Bubsy coming up!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

I mean, gently caress dude, for the start of a year this isn't gonna get topped anytime soon.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I keep thinking about getting Bloodborne since I've seen it for $20 most places I go, but I was wondering if it's worth it to spend the extra $30 and get the Game of the Year Edition? I don't know that much about the game, so I don't know how any of the DLC fares.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

I keep thinking about getting Bloodborne since I've seen it for $20 most places I go, but I was wondering if it's worth it to spend the extra $30 and get the Game of the Year Edition? I don't know that much about the game, so I don't know how any of the DLC fares.

The dlc is easily worth the extra $10. It's lengthy and has some of the content in the game plus some of the best weapons

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the dlc is good and you should get it if you buy the base game, but if it's actually an extra $30 where you're shopping then don't buy it. you'll save money if you get the base version for $20 and then buy the dlc separately for another $20

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just echoing that Bloodborne's DLC owns and imo is essential to the pacing of the game feeling correct

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

Sony is pretty smart with getting exclusives early on in the year. The fall gets to be a fight out between all the shootymans and assassin games.

Nintendo's probably going to put a big dent in that with Super Mario Odyssey too.

89 posted:

Fargo Cry 5
Another Assassin's Creed
Destiny 1.5
Cuphead

I wouldn't be hard on the next Assassin's Creed just for existing, because Ubisoft took their yearly iteration model out back and shot it in the head so they could turn out Syndicate and Origins with some decent production time. Given Syndicate was really good, I'm inclined to give Origins the benefit of the doubt.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nintendo's probably going to put a big dent in that with Super Mario Odyssey too.

I wouldn't be hard on the next Assassin's Creed just for existing, because Ubisoft took their yearly iteration model out back and shot it in the head so they could turn out Syndicate and Origins with some decent production time. Given Syndicate was really good, I'm inclined to give Origins the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah you're right, Mario is gonna run away with the switches this holiday season. It's actually good destiny can get out soon. And star wars battlefront is probably gonna score lots of sales with the shooter crowd.

I'm really tired of assassin's creed though. Even if the new one is good I just don't have the time or effort for them anymore.

I already have pre-orders for destiny, star wars and Mario paid off. Probably don't need to buy any more games for the rest of the year, which is fine, I still haven't even started yakuza or persona oh God help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Is DS3+DLC worth the $107 I'm seeing it on the PlayStation store? I'm playing and loving Bloodborne. Or should I start with the base game?