Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Working fine, thank you for hosting it. :)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

in retrospect jumping in to the server just to make a really lovely bus service at the dead of night was not a well thought out move.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, better trucks. :toot:

Too bad they turn like one long vehicle instead of like train cars. Oh, well...

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

we need more trams.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Stairmaster posted:

we need more trams.

Agreed. Also holy moly these custom trains are expensive.

I had fun with my little network of 16xx Panniers though :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

sincx posted:

That's an impressive highway network you got there :stare:

I'll see if I can find a better truck set for the game game.
Thanks. It was pretty fun to build too. :)

I stole the idea from another goon some time back.
Also, everyone who doesn't connect all their rail together into one network is failing miserably at proper train sperging. :colbert:

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 1, 2017

Hawke
May 1, 2008
Man I haven't played OpenTTD in ages. Logged in just now to get used to the game again and some of the networks on the server right now are insane, then there's my tiny bus network :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also joined here. The costs of all those modern vehicles... starting up a new train network is prohibitively expensive in 2014. I've ended up just making a bunch of small gold truck services.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Too bad I can't give you some extra startup cash, at only slightly punitive interest. :v:

What's up with the truck models in the game? I've got the Volvo FH16 which is awesome but the two later models can't haul coal, gold or wheat for some unknown reason and the last one even has significantly lower horsepower so they're way too weak to be useful despite their higher top speed (which I doubt they'll ever be able to reach). Any year the good truck is going to disappear from the list and only worthless junk I can't even use will be left. Grumble grumble grumble.

edit
I'll share a few pictures:

I like trucking.

Here's what the map looks like:

Vehicles:

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 1, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not all vehicles match...

HUGEbus and tinybus.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

Not all vehicles match...

HUGEbus and tinybus.
Hobbits need to get around town too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Christ I love this game. I make no promises that I'll stick with anything but I'll try to pop on tomorrow to make some ridonkulus regional passenger networks to make a bunch of cities blow up like balloons.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can buy and use balloons to do that. Well, zeppelins.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh uh, the 2051 "scoring over" screen happened and I kinda accidentally clicked through it.

Poil posted:

What's up with the truck models in the game? I've got the Volvo FH16 which is awesome but the two later models can't haul coal, gold or wheat for some unknown reason and the last one even has significantly lower horsepower so they're way too weak to be useful despite their higher top speed (which I doubt they'll ever be able to reach). Any year the good truck is going to disappear from the list and only worthless junk I can't even use will be left. Grumble grumble grumble.

This also happened a while ago, there's no replacement for the "hauls anything" truck now.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'd prefer not to use the original trains but that's just me.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wishlist for next game:
- Plane speed factor to 1/1 (so they actually move at the advertised speed)
- Temperate map with large amount of water (to make ships more relevant)
- Distribution mode for passengers to "symmetric", to make passenger transport more interesting (they have a destination and don't just get off at first opportunity)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 2, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

planes are already OP as hell 1/1 just takes them up to the point where there's no reason to use anything else. that said 2/1 has always felt reasonable to me since it basically makes the overland speed of the best maglevs and the best trains about equal.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Fun times! Here's some of my screenshots from the last game:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdhs7u9aajwnnt2/steam%20in%202049.png

I set up some steam trains early on (GWR 16xx Pannier tanks, for the curious), and then when I came back they were still chugging along - although by the time I got back, I couldn't build steam any more. I love steam trains, so I kept them going until the end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twr9i1zhctusab0/the%20paper%20chain.png

I'd made about £7m by that point, and after Stairmaster generously gave me an extra £5m I decided to do something a bit crazier with a big ol wood --> paper --> goods chain using electric locos. Here it is zoomed all the way out. Note the good ol' OpenTTD logic of shipping the paper a long way away to the printing works, and then shipping the finished goods back to a large town near the paper mill :v:. I also ran some passengers along the same network because hey, why not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ojfd0ngi29721w/spaghetti%20junction%202049.png

The Spaghetti Junction at the heart of this network, complete with some labels.

For a future game, since I'm a steam nut it'd be interesting to see an earlier start - either go Original Transport Tycoon and have a 1930 start with the original vehicles, maybe, or even go crazy and back to 1900 or 1870 with either 2cc or something like the UK Railway Set.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 2, 2017

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

1900 w/ japanese trains and then we can have gauge arguments.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

is the IP up top right? seeing this:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

thanks!

you know, for as user-hostile as a lot of things are in openttd, i have an all-consuming feeling of catharsis every time i use the newGRF system. in any other game seeing 'this server is using about 14 different custom things than you're used to' is an unambiguous signal that you are about to lose the next 2-3 hours of your life in a byzantine grind of gathering, deploying, and maintaining a thousand loving things in a thousand loving ways.

in openttd....you press the download button and have a big, languid stretch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

btw: please do turn on symmetric distribution mode for passengers. that change makes passenger networks not only a lot more interesting, but a lot more profitable as well!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, i notice there's some really big rail networks, but the global population is very small. my entire goal in the next game will be to blow up the global population to at least 1 million.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I can't play multi stuff that requires a commitment but I just wanted you guys all to know that I am eagerly watching your experiences, also this game was a lifesaver for me earlier this year when my graphics card died and I had to use onboard for a couple of weeks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hate all these train engines. There are hundreds of them, the differences in stats are negligible, the vast majority are bad, it seems that often they have special wagons which are the only wagons you can put on them and almost none of them can actually carry any cargo. Also the monorail is 100% useless when it's trying so hard to be metro, how does that even work?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There are settings for the 2cc train set to disable locomotives from various geographies. If we're still using it for the next game, I'll also vote for limiting that to two or three geographies.
There is also a GRF that replaces the monorail graphics with 3rd rail electrified metro track, which you're really supposed to use with 2cc.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, that would look better. But they have a speed that's barely faster than a loaded truck and you can't build stations or turns underground so it's just a much slower train. If you want a slower and probably cheaper train service you can just buy a lovely locomotive instead. I don't get what purpose it fills. :confused:

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 3, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Poil posted:

Yeah, that would look better. But they have a speed that's barely faster than a loaded truck and you can't build stations or turns underground so it's just a much slower train. If you want a slower and probably cheaper train service you can just buy a lovely locomotive instead. I don't get what purpose it fills. :confused:

~realism~

This is a very delicious town?

Edit: I had been wondering about how to best replace my fleet of trucks with updated models... apparently this is how:

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 3, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Still growing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Poil posted:

While the game is initially a fun little transport game, it's longevity is from train nerds.