Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Sweet cuppin' Christ, that's even more disappointing than what I had expected. I knew the bulk of it would be skins and models, but I figured that they would AT LEAST try to pay someone to convert their existing major quest mod over to this as a token representation of that "Mini DLC" crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

i am tim! posted:

Sweet cuppin' Christ, that's even more disappointing than what I had expected. I knew the bulk of it would be skins and models, but I figured that they would AT LEAST try to pay someone to convert their existing major quest mod over to this as a token representation of that "Mini DLC" crap.

Nah, because then they'd have to pay someone go through it all and test the story DLC for acceptable rating content that's appropriate to represent Bethesda. This way is much cheaper.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think it took so long to launch after E3 because they were trying to find partners for it and were coming up short. I might have been generous in saying it will last a month.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

To be honest, I wasn't even expecting it to have been done. I was expecting something like "Legacy of the Dragonborn ULTIMATE PAID EDITION! Coming Soon... But in the meantime BUY THIS BUBBLE GUM PIPBOY SKIN!"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

i am tim! posted:

To be honest, I wasn't even expecting it to have been done. I was expecting something like "Legacy of the Dragonborn ULTIMATE PAID EDITION! Coming Soon... But in the meantime BUY THIS BUBBLE GUM PIPBOY SKIN!"

But don't you see, they are only charging the same for black and pink as all the other colors! Totally different from F2P games where straight up Black, White, and Pink are among the most expensive of paint jobs :pseudo:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
For gently caress's sake Bethesda, horse armor wasn't funny the first time, it was loving useless worse than useless, it was bad.

...Ok, maybe it's a little funny. But it's still stupid, and there were so many good DLCs they could have referenced.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So you buy the paid mods with Bethesda crypto currency you buy with real world money?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 31, 2017

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

So you buy the paid mods with Bethesda crypto currency you buy with real world money?

It's the same kind of thing as XBox Live Marketplace points and whatever funbucks PSN uses, but more annoying, because the lowest amount of currency you can buy is $8 worth.

Edit: Oh, how loving creative Bethesda - the BCC mod files are apparently .esl files, which are just renamed .esm, which means there is literally no effort made to combat piracy.

Edit: Also, all the models and textures are downloaded whether you buy them or not, the only thing you get when you buy it is the .esl that activates it into the game as a mod.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 31, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

Edit: Oh, how loving creative Bethesda - the BCC mod files are apparently .esl files, which are just renamed .esm, which means there is literally no effort made to combat piracy.

Edit: Also, all the models and textures are downloaded whether you buy them or not, the only thing you get when you buy it is the .esl that activates it into the game as a mod.

:allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

It's the same kind of thing as XBox Live Marketplace points and whatever funbucks PSN uses, but more annoying, because the lowest amount of currency you can buy is $8 worth.

Wait so you could simply rename the .esm files into .esl and get the content without paying for it? :sad:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if they give negative zero fucks about PC piracy as long as they can gouge console players.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kikas posted:

Wait so you could simply rename the .esm files into .esl and get the content without paying for it? :sad:

That's what I had in a reply window for a few minutes with what I'm assuming a look on my face like that confused webcomic guy thinking "?" And then "????????"

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You'd have to rename the .esl files to .esm but also get ahold of the .esl files in the first place

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

m2pt5 posted:

Both Xbox Marketplace and PSN moved to using actual $ and not funbucks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Internet Wizard posted:

You'd have to rename the .esl files to .esm but also get ahold of the .esl files in the first place

No, he's talking about the reverse. Get the .esm files from the free mod and then rename them into .esl to get the paid mods for free.

But that'd be pointless because, you know, if you have the drat free mod already you don't need the paid one on top of it.

But that was probably the joke

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

No, he's talking about the reverse. Get the .esm files from the free mod and then rename them into .esl to get the paid mods for free.

But that'd be pointless because, you know, if you have the drat free mod already you don't need the paid one on top of it.

But that was probably the joke

No, here's the deal, from what I've been able to piece together:

- Whether you buy them or not, you get the .ba2 files for all the BCC mods on your hard drive.
- When you buy the mods, it installs and activates the appropriate .esl file.
- Reportedly, the .esl files can also be found in the .ba2 archives. So if you extract them and rename to .esm (keeping the file name the same as the .ba2) you can activate them in the launcher, and thus get the mod.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

Oh no loving way.

Edit: So am I going to be looking forward to Steam "updating" Fallout 4 and Skyrim with paid mod assets now?

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 31, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's not really surprising that the first things they're releasing are the things that were simple to make or projects that were already mostly complete as free mods to be honest.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

i am tim! posted:

Edit: So am I going to be looking forward to Steam "updating" Fallout 4 and Skyrim with paid mod assets now?
Just Skyrim Special Edition, not old Skyrim.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

fishmech posted:

It's not really surprising that the first things they're releasing are the things that were simple to make or projects that were already mostly complete as free mods to be honest.

I get where you're coming from, but this is their first impression with a system that many people had a lot of concerns about. Concerns mostly borne from the Bethesda's previous attempts at integrating and monetizing mods, so it's really a first impression on a second chance. Given all that, they needed to make a first impression that wasn't "This will be a poorly implemented system that has nothing but skins and armour," but unfortunately they dropped the ball.

Even if they turned this around in a month, it'll still struggle due to people having already written it off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

i am tim! posted:

I get where you're coming from, but this is their first impression with a system that many people had a lot of concerns about. Concerns mostly borne from the Bethesda's previous attempts at integrating and monetizing mods, so it's really a first impression on a second chance. Given all that, they needed to make a first impression that wasn't "This will be a poorly implemented system that has nothing but skins and armour," but unfortunately they dropped the ball.

Even if they turned this around in a month, it'll still struggle due to people having already written it off.

Also if you expect people to pay for individual costumes, they better be really good costumes.

Even then they're still fighting the path of least resistance, which is a nigh-unlimited range of near/fully identical costumes available for free on the Steam Workshop, Nexus, etc.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

Oh, how loving creative Bethesda - the BCC mod files are apparently .esl files, which are just renamed .esm, which means there is literally no effort made to combat piracy.
Not quite. The .esl is a new type of data file Bethesda introduced with the latest patch, which is supposed to bypass the 8-bit plugin ID limit so you could have more then 255 plugins active. I haven't heard of anyone testing it yet, but if it works as advertised that's actually a nice thing to have. Especially on the consoles which don't have access to tools to merge mods.

m2pt5 posted:

No, here's the deal, from what I've been able to piece together:
- Whether you buy them or not, you get the .ba2 files for all the BCC mods on your hard drive.
- When you buy the mods, it installs and activates the appropriate .esl file.
- Reportedly, the .esl files can also be found in the .ba2 archives. So if you extract them and rename to .esm (keeping the file name the same as the .ba2) you can activate them in the launcher, and thus get the mod.
Not quite. The first two are correct.
The .ba2 archives contain all of the "creation"'s assets. Meshes, textures, sounds, scripts, etc. Once you have that, all you need is the plugin that puts those assets in the game. Which you can easily make yourself with the Creation Kit or FO4Edit. No special modding know-how needed, just a few minutes of spare time. So yeah, they've essentially given away all of the Creation Club content for free.

And besides someone reporting it to Bethesda, there's not really anything to stop you from grabbing those assets, renaming some things, repackaging it (maybe with some other stuff to hide it) and uploading it to Bethesda.net to make it freely available to the XBox1.
If you feel like having big balls, you could even make a plugin that activates for instance the Gauss Riffle creation, name "ccBGSFO4018-GaussRiflePrototype.esp" and upload it to Bethesda.net to make it available to PS4 players. Though that name will be a dead giveaway.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 31, 2017

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Ironically enough it would have saved the sims modding community since it got split up into their own simblr accounts.

Onto non Creation Club BS

I know that Darkest Dungeon is a game where the "heroes" relieve themselves of stress in the tavern and the Ancestor makes Caligula look like a saint. But someone made Darkest Dungeon even more perversely dark

:nws:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197984892423/myworkshopfiles/?appid=262060

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Most of the backlash against the original paid mods attempt was because people were taking their existing mods and locking them behind a paywall and causing all sorts of drama and technical issues, as dumb as paying real money for skins is so long as it is it's own separate thing like this then it'll be easy to ignore.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guy Mann posted:

Most of the backlash against the original paid mods attempt was because people were taking their existing mods and locking them behind a paywall and causing all sorts of drama and technical issues, as dumb as paying real money for skins is so long as it is it's own separate thing like this then it'll be easy to ignore.

It's not going to stay skins, more in-depth stuff will be coming over time. But if the system Bethesda announced for how projects proceed in the Creators program back a few months ago is true, full on Mods stuff is going to take a lot longer to get approved than a simple skin or new model will.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There's also word been going around that the creation club stuff is limited to 4000 record entries, which essentially means anything but the tiniest quests are no-gos. For example, Automatron, which is pretty much one big quest and 2-3 very tiny radiant quests, is about 50000.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is all so loving stupid jesus christ

Are the assets at least consistent on some level in appearance and properly integrated into the game or is it just some "load save, get suit" bullshit? That way when it gets inevitably pirates it allows you to expand content with a consistent theme

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

m2pt5 posted:

For gently caress's sake Bethesda, horse armor wasn't funny the first time, it was loving useless worse than useless, it was bad.

...Ok, maybe it's a little funny. But it's still stupid, and there were so many good DLCs they could have referenced.
"Haha guys, do you remember horse armor? Remember when we put out the horse armor for Oblivion, and people lambasted it for being stupid, pointless, and money-grubbing? Well now we're doing Horse Power Armor! See it's funny because it's a contemptuous call-back to our old, stupid, greedy business plan via our newer, stupider, greedier business plan!"

Why is it impossible for Bethesda to just hire people who make good mods and then pay them to create content for their games? Like, find some mod team that's made highly-rated quest mods or other content and let them loose to make a expansion pack for Fallout 4 or something. I've said that Bethesda should hire TrainWiz. Why go through all these layers of nonsense?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Because if Arthmoor is any indication that team would get in a deadlock over what to name one npc and then dissolve entirely.

To be fully honest that's basically what I expected the creation club to be i.e. outsourced dlc content but apparently they hosed that up already so meh

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
horse armor got lambasted but in bethesda's defense paid cosmetic retexturing has become the bog standard norm. if it were released as paid dlc for skyrim nobody'd bat an eye.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Max Wilco posted:

Why is it impossible for Bethesda to just hire people who make good mods and then pay them to create content for their games?

It's not? They've already done that? But don't expect that poo poo to release any time soon if you believe what they claimed in the announcement materials.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Furia posted:

Because if Arthmoor is any indication that team would get in a deadlock over what to name one npc and then dissolve entirely.

To be fully honest that's basically what I expected the creation club to be i.e. outsourced dlc content but apparently they hosed that up already so meh

That's a good point. I was thinking you'd screen people through the interview process to try and weed out people who act like Arthmoor, but maybe that's not really feasible.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Max Wilco posted:

Why is it impossible for Bethesda to just hire people who make good mods and then pay them to create content for their games? Like, find some mod team that's made highly-rated quest mods or other content and let them loose to make a expansion pack for Fallout 4 or something. I've said that Bethesda should hire TrainWiz. Why go through all these layers of nonsense?

I think I found the problem with your idea.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

fishmech posted:

It's not going to stay skins, more in-depth stuff will be coming over time. But if the system Bethesda announced for how projects proceed in the Creators program back a few months ago is true, full on Mods stuff is going to take a lot longer to get approved than a simple skin or new model will.

Yeah but it's still locked off in its own ecosystem and being developed and published by Bethesda, it's not M'aiq Fishystick from the Skyrim Nexus deciding to lock the script extender everyone's been using behind a paywall and breaking years of mods in the process or your sicknasty vaporwave armor mod being auto-updated to replace it with a note telling you to buy it on their new paysite.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bethesda's original pitch for it as basically just freelance DLC rather than paid mods sounded kinda cool but of course they're implementing it in the worst possible way

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Max Wilco posted:

"Haha guys, do you remember horse armor? Remember when we put out the horse armor for Oblivion, and people lambasted it for being stupid, pointless, and money-grubbing? Well now we're doing Horse Power Armor! See it's funny because it's a contemptuous call-back to our old, stupid, greedy business plan via our newer, stupider, greedier business plan!"

*Looks around at all the DLC in everything and sees that people are actually mostly okay with it* Yeah that one was a big failure.

Not that I support paid mods like this. They're basically the exploitative "apprenticeship" of the gaming industry. Use the promise of a foot in the door to make people do your work while paying them basically gently caress all and possibly reaping in profits far outstripping their wage.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm kinda curious about the vapourwave armour mod now...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Scaramouche posted:

I'm kinda curious about the vapourwave armour mod now...

Same, I guess you'll have to make due with Prey for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

*Looks around at all the DLC in everything and sees that people are actually mostly okay with it* Yeah that one was a big failure.

Not that I support paid mods like this. They're basically the exploitative "apprenticeship" of the gaming industry. Use the promise of a foot in the door to make people do your work while paying them basically gently caress all and possibly reaping in profits far outstripping their wage.
A long time ago, I remember Bethesda was doing a sale on the Oblivion DLC on April Fool's Day. They discounted everything except for the Horse Armor DLC, where they increased the price for the sale. That to me came across like an admission of how bad the idea was. People had low expectations of the Creation Club when it was first announced, so including Horse Power Armor as part of the starting selection seems like an open slap in the face.

I'm not necessarily trying to bash that sort of thing. Some like cosmetic mods and will gladly pay for them, while others view it as nickel-and-diming the customer. I've bought some cosmetic DLC stuff for a couple of games when it went on sale. That's where the Creation Club Funbux throw another wrench in the works. If you're going to add in little cosmetic items to the game, why not just offer them for sale like the regular DLC?

Jagged Jim posted:

I think I found the problem with your idea.

It just seems like a waste of talent, though. When you look at Valve, they made a point of hiring people who made mods to work for them and turn their mods into stand-alone games. Even DOTA2, the only game Valve really seems to care about nowadays, started life as a Warcraft 3 mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Not sure Valve is a great example anymore, they don't bother making content for CSGO, TF2, or DOTA, they just have a million unpaid workers throw content onto the workshop, cherry pick the best stuff, and then pay them five percent of the profit from the thing.