Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I'm trying to puzzle out how having a shield operator and turret gunner has any bearing whatsoever on how easy any ship, much less a "Luxury Yacht", is to fly solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

One month ago

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I read all the financial stuff, looked at the sales graph and their new ship and all I can picture is CIG digging in the couch cushions to find this month's rent.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I desperately want Chris and Sandi to try and mash all the garbage mocap footage they wasted backer money on together into the best drat space film ever and release it upon an unsuspecting world. With Sandi the heading the cast list, naturally.

KM Scorchio fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 31, 2017

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Why did they name the largest ship after a Nazi tank? Konigstiger = Kingtiger which is the German term for Bengal Tiger.
The carrier in the first Wing Commander game was "a Bengal-class Strike Carrier" named the Tiger's Claw, and they were hitting that nostalgia button as hard as they could for fundraising purposes.

Also, I want to say for the record that I looked that up on wikipedia just now because I was sure it had to be a reference to something he'd done before but couldn't for the life of me remember any ship names from Wing Commander.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

SomethingJones posted:

So whalefear may be enough to justify shuffling lots of paperwork under the desk without invoking another source of finance.

The thing about another source of finance is...if it's out there, what's it secured on? Coutts did their due diligence and duly demanded the Star Citizen IP. CIG don't have any other major assets beyond their office furniture. If there's another loan, something must have been pledged as security but there's not much left they could pledge.

More angel investors like Bootcha? Bootcha was the last one left standing when the runaway funding started - CIG bought all their other investors out. They kept him around because he'd shown up to their parties (and turned on him drat fast when the time came). Any kind of institutional investor would want equity, which would in turn mean board seats and a measure of control over the project. We'd see them throwing their weight around by now.

The alternative is an investor that injected cash in return for a slice of projected royalties post-launch, in which case LOL but again where are they? Surely they'd be breathing down Crobbler's neck, if not threatening a lawsuit by this point. Any investor genuinely chasing a ROI would not tolerate crap at anywhere near CIG's level over the past year or so.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

SomethingJones posted:

This answers my question, thank you.

On CIG shuffling assets around to protect them from someone going after them - the only way I see this happening is if

1. CIG refuse to pay or are unable to pay a whale sized refund and the whale goes after them like Moby Dick

2. Coutts loan goes into default and Coutts go after them

If you had to take a guess...
Is the threat from whales going after them big enough to justify hiding assets or is there some other entity financing them in the background?
There's a third option: a prosecutor deciding to go after them. That's why they'll back down on refunds when the authorities are involved, because as long as there's no aggrieved customers they're (relatively) safe.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Is that the twin towers in the background?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Wiz posted:

I'm laughing so hard at the idea of earnestly being asked how many toilets your sci-fi spaceship in you sci-fi spaceship game will have, and thinking the question matters enough to put on an official FAQ.

I feel like I need to establish a canon number of toilets for Stellaris ships now.

Spaceship toilets are the equivalent of cup holders in cars.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Trilobite posted:

"a Bengal-class Strike Carrier"

I read that as "Benfat-rear end Stroke Carrier".

I lol'd a bit. :)

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Loxbourne posted:

The thing about another source of finance is...if it's out there, what's it secured on? Coutts did their due diligence and duly demanded the Star Citizen IP. CIG don't have any other major assets beyond their office furniture. If there's another loan, something must have been pledged as security but there's not much left they could pledge.

More angel investors like Bootcha? Bootcha was the last one left standing when the runaway funding started - CIG bought all their other investors out. They kept him around because he'd shown up to their parties (and turned on him drat fast when the time came). Any kind of institutional investor would want equity, which would in turn mean board seats and a measure of control over the project. We'd see them throwing their weight around by now.

The alternative is an investor that injected cash in return for a slice of projected royalties post-launch, in which case LOL but again where are they? Surely they'd be breathing down Crobbler's neck, if not threatening a lawsuit by this point. Any investor genuinely chasing a ROI would not tolerate crap at anywhere near CIG's level over the past year or so.

Well, this all makes sense, and if whales really are the only source of income then they must believe the are funding an existential war on behalf of all humanity.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
Lol if the Hollywood accounting is nothing more than ortwin ensuring his job security and justifying a fat paycheque.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Just so we don't lose it, and can refer to it later, I am posting [redacted] (Shillizens) write-up about their June 2017 studio visit. Read it. It's amazingly hilarious, now that we've seen what happened at GC2017.

I remember in stark contrast to this Lethality went a little off the rails telling those people they didn't see anything, sort of implying that he too took a studio tour.

He didn't seem to appreciate CIGS whole "wink wink nudge nudge" kind of hint they did to the people who visited them. Eventually people are going to get tired of pretending CIG is making progress and redefining video games and are some kind of huge deal with the future of gaming. Instead they're going to get tired of it, and the whole smile and nod thing is going to turn on them.

Maybe. Been saying this for years now. :3:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

You have a dossier on ALL of your adversaries?

:vince:

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

I've never been more confused than when I played LoD, I was just bewildered from start to finish. Where was I? What was I? What was I doing? I still have no idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFCmI544HI

GOTY

pgabz. The most furious individual that there ever was.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

I made a thing

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Hav posted:

Spitballing, but what would it take for Chris to get away clean (again). Selling his share in the company?

Nice try Chris

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Why did they name the largest ship after a Nazi tank? Konigstiger = Kingtiger which is the German term for Bengal Tiger.

Because it's expensive, overengineered, will come out too late to make a difference, and spend most of its time inoperable due to design flaws

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Wiz posted:

Good idea. Maybe I should add this to the ship designer, require the player to spend minerals on luxury toilets for crew comfort.

Then again, that would be an actual game mechanic, and we can't have those.

Add the toilets/toilet paper numbers as a displayed statistic and have it change randomly over the course of a game. Don't actually tie it into anything or let it do anything at all. Stellaris being a perfect space game is just one minor patch away.

Of course, that last line is sarcasm, since you don't have snoopy caps.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

How much do you think the biggest whale has invested in this game?
awhile back there was a leak about how CIG is targeting certain whales to come in and help design the game

one dude was in over $100,000

not an investor, just a guy buying ships for friends and family

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

awhile back there was a leak about how CIG is targeting certain whales to come in and help design the game

one dude was in over $100,000

not an investor, just a guy buying ships for friends and family

Was that the time they were looking to hire a personal valet for backers?

Needed experience in fine dining and a few other qualifications that should never be asked of anyone trying to make a video game

HAHAHA I forgot about this

Came across it while trying to find the job description:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3n59ft/working_at_cig_from_a_cig_employee/

GUYS everything is great at CIG take it from me an actual employee not being paid to post this

YEAH THIS IS JARED this man above me is right, we totally think CIG and especially CHRIS AND SANDI are great because we are totally NOT being paid to say these things

Also I forgot how proud Lando was about having basically floated from job to job for his entire adult life

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 1, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How many years has Derek Smart been trying to create Planetside 1 lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Remember when sandy mentioned that they were looking to find a way to release pressure from the whales because everything is going swimmingly we dont need the money at all right? They've just been tightening the vices over and over again.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Remember when sandy mentioned that they were looking to find a way to release pressure from the whales because everything is going swimmingly we dont need the money at all right? They've just been tightening the vices over and over again.

Well, video games have taught me that whale oil has value, so that's completely understandable.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wiz posted:

I'm laughing so hard at the idea of earnestly being asked how many toilets your sci-fi spaceship in you sci-fi spaceship game will have, and thinking the question matters enough to put on an official FAQ.

I feel like I need to establish a canon number of toilets for Stellaris ships now.

P sure my hivemind just needs one really big toilet. Gonna need you to update that megastructure list.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I've never been more confused than when I played LoD, I was just bewildered from start to finish. Where was I? What was I? What was I doing? I still have no idea

GOTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9sqUHaJTG4

Here's the citizen version of a Pgabz video. Oddly, I haven't seen a single goon cultist try to defend Derek's game in any of the videos mocking it :thunk:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

It's so frustrating when you actually know something, have lived it, done it, seen it from the inside, and speak from experience, only to have know-nothing blowhards, who think they know better than you, just poo poo all over the evidence and facts. The nice thing about facts is, they're true whether you believe them or not. But this recent ability to create social networks that are completely insulated from facts and, worse, the desire to know, is a huge failure of the internet as a whole, and Star Citizen is a perfect microcosm of the vapid, repressive fabric that our civilization happily wraps over its eyes like a blindfold.

Everyday people have absolutely NO idea how hard making even a simple game is (Neither does Chris Roberts for that matter). Unless you've done it... unless you've designed a character controller with accurate collisions, or a basic car that drives around an oval track (forget a ramp), or tried to make a 3d model person with a walking animation and connecting it to a character controller, and seen how a simple idea explodes in complexity upon implementation, then your only option is to judge a game by working code that you can actually play, or listen to people who do know. But if the Shitizens did that, their dreamy mental pillow fort would poof right out of existence, and they would see a messy, ugly world that doesn't match their dreams because they never get to practice seeing the world for the beautiful, perfect mess is actually is.

Star Citizens only core value is a shared delusion which gives a feeble sense of "belonging" to people with very poor self esteem and/or brain damage.

:same:

:perfect:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

KM Scorchio posted:

Derek what are you going to do all day after starcitizen dies? I hope you have a back up crusade ready to embark upon.

I do. I'm going after the loving scam called Elite Dangerous. They built a loving game with crowd-funded money, and shipped it. Who does that?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Finally finish LoD

:vince:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

I never thought any of the whales would refund, now I have to buy a CIG webcam so everyone can see my surprised face.

Quite a few are refunding. I have received three emails from whales, not measly $500 backers. Sadly, most of them (like the $30K German guy I tweeted about earlier) don't want the drama; so they're not going public with it. But - right now on Spectrum - there are several confirmed kills.

We always knew that most of them would refund if GC2017 was a bust. And we always knew that some would keep it quiet because nobody wants to admit they'd be scammed.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
To be fair to those guys, most people also don't want weirdos from Reddit and elsewhere stalking and harassing them, either. Who wants to deal with the endless stream of trolls and ill-wishers, knowing that there are probably some diehards in there who might try to get them fired or worse just for saying they got a refund?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loxbourne posted:

Where was this? On Discord?

He declared it on Spectrum. Word hit me on Discord and on Twitter DM. Then I pinged one person who confirmed it; just as another person sent me a Discord message, complete with translated (it's German) posts.

It's legit. And he's pissed. I am waiting for permission to make his post public, though it is already public if you are on the German Discord. Look for user GOEI. Get this. He's Evocati too. So yeah.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sabreseven posted:

And that's the really funny thing, Derek actually speeding up the dev time of SC. :D It's very plausible considering how it seemed to be just floundering before that infamous blog was penned.

I also like to think at the begining of all this silliness, Derek was part way through smashing a vending machine to pieces with his bare hands, but paused when SC popped up on the KS site. :)

Hey, I was making a decent living out of it, too. Don't knock it until you've walked my shoes, man!! :argh: I gave all that up so that I could sue CIG for some of that sweet, sweet backer cash.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MilesK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9sqUHaJTG4

Here's the citizen version of a Pgabz video. Oddly, I haven't seen a single goon cultist try to defend Derek's game in any of the videos mocking it :thunk:

Uh, the LOD planetary thrusters are just so powerful that it simply defies physics. Duh!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

heh, I remember back when YT incorrectly tagged my videos with Star Citizen, and despite it being something that happens all the time, those rear end-clowns claimed that I had done it myself, and intentionally. Good times. :allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Decrepus posted:

How many years has Derek Smart been trying to create Planetside 1 lol

Video game development is hard!! :argh: Just ask croberts and his posse of 400 who can't get a vehicle up a loving ramp.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

To be fair to those guys, most people also don't want weirdos from Reddit and elsewhere stalking and harassing them, either. Who wants to deal with the endless stream of trolls and ill-wishers, knowing that there are probably some diehards in there who might try to get them fired or worse just for saying they got a refund?

Exactly.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Video game development is hard!! :argh: Just ask croberts and his posse of 400.

Just make sure you emphasize the game part. They kick rear end at making videos.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Sappo569 posted:

He is probably not joking when he says it's all disposable income, unlike most of the other backers trying to console themselves

I seem to remember from some of his twitter pictures it looks like he's an engineer or architect from the drawings he had scattered around

Doesn't make him any less broke-brained for giving that much money to Chris Roberts

Star Citizen: GO CONSOLE YOURSELF

:xbox:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

peter gabriel posted:

GOTY

fantasmic