Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

This show is gonna be good because Cosmos is amazing and he had a huge hand in that. I Believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

On the other hand, the first trailer had a 'men leave the toilet seat up' joke, featured the captain and his ex-wife CO bickering, and had a drunk driving joke.

MacFarlane is saying all the right things, and I really hope we get some nice charming utopian sci-fi... but we might still get enough Family Guy in space to drag it all down.

Seriously, "his CO is is ex-wife!" is the most worrying part of the premise.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All the ex-wife stuff feels out of a cheap early 90's sitcom and very bad.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm gonna be optimistic despite all these facts in the spirit of the show

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This better be good, or I'll be pissed they could've made a whole season of Other Space for the cost of one episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Eiba posted:

On the other hand, the first trailer had a 'men leave the toilet seat up' joke, featured the captain and his ex-wife CO bickering, and had a drunk driving joke.

MacFarlane is saying all the right things, and I really hope we get some nice charming utopian sci-fi... but we might still get enough Family Guy in space to drag it all down.

Seriously, "his CO is is ex-wife!" is the most worrying part of the premise.

Yeah it sucks but maybe it's because he wants a Picard/Crusher thing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As long as he's doing an obvious and terrible New York accent, too.

Singing cowboy

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Baronjutter posted:

All the ex-wife stuff feels out of a cheap early 90's sitcom and very bad.

Yeah, all this stuff is tempering my optimism even though I don't want it to. :(

It's really difficult to reconcile the words that Seth MacFarlane is saying with the poo poo that's actually in the trailers, even given how misleading trailers can be.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

On a more optimistic note, rewatching the first trailer to refresh my memory about how bad the ex-wife stuff was made me notice the design for the Krill destroyer:

Looks okay at first glance, but that thing is obnoxiously asymmetric.

Between that and the framing gag on the viewscreen it makes me think those aliens just don't have the same sense of aesthetics that humans do in a way that's really annoying to us, and I think that's a pretty good sci-fi joke all things considered.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, I've got a quibble. I hate Seth's line read on 'I loosened it for you'.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Doctor posted:

It's funny because it's a girl but she's super strong because she's an alien so you gotta get in a little pride saving quip because you're a kinda pathetic 90's sitcom dad.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm interested in this because it's got the optimistic tone of TNG, without the "we're evolved beyond such things" nonsense. People in the future are still gonna be people.

Tiny woman character breaks down a door you couldn't, you're briefly (if irrationally) ashamed and emasculated, and you crack a joke about it to protect your ego. Stupid, but human.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

The set-up was him asking her to "open this jar of pickles". It's a pretty simple follow-up to that. :shrug:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Family Guy is just awful but mcfarlane can deliver the goods when he cares about something. For me this is all a question of whether or not he's invested in this or in lazy fuckboy mode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

The set-up was him asking her to "open this jar of pickles". It's a pretty simple follow-up to that. :shrug:

I think they meant how he said it.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Yeah like in the last Indiana Jones movie when Shia asks Indy "you're a teacher?" and Indy replies "part-time." and the trailer had this great take where Indy said "part-time" in an awesome way but then the take they actually used had him saying it in a really weird kinda wussy way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kibayasu posted:

I think they meant how he said it.

Yeah, exactly. I get the joke, it's just his read of the punchline. It comes across weird.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Gatekeeper posted:

Yeah like in the last Indiana Jones movie when Shia asks Indy "you're a teacher?" and Indy replies "part-time." and the trailer had this great take where Indy said "part-time" in an awesome way but then the take they actually used had him saying it in a really weird kinda wussy way.

I think I whispered, "What the gently caress?" in the theater when that happened.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Even weirder, there's an alternate reading of "The line must be drawn here" in one of the First Contact trailers. It's still a good reading because Patrick Stewart. But that's such an iconic line reading, it's bizarre in hindsight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W2Ehf4qrh4&t=63s

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 31, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Jesus what a terrible teaser, that's a ton of not first contact footage.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

If that teaser doesn't just scream, "We don't have any of our effects shots done, gently caress" then I don't know what does

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Even weirder, there's an alternate reading of "The line must be drawn here" in one of the First Contact trailers. It's still a good reading because Patrick Stewart. But that's such an iconic line reading, it's bizarre in hindsight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W2Ehf4qrh4&t=63s

Wait wait wait. You're telling me Star Trek: First Contact is gonna be 21 years old this November?

:smithicide:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

mycomancy posted:

Wait wait wait. You're telling me Star Trek: First Contact is gonna be 21 years old this November?

:smithicide:

I was 9 years old and it was the last time I can remember genuinely enjoying a movie in a theater. gently caress's sakes.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Reading this thread is going to be a serious kick, like watching the rise and fall of goons' love affair with Family Guy all over again. At least some of you have a concept of "once bitten, twice shy"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Most people have a favorable view of American Dad and Cosmos though.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I think a more germaine source from which one should draw their expectations for the live-action series McFarlane's staring in would be his movies, and those tread a lot closer to the absolute pits of Family Guy than his other fare. Who knows, maybe having other writers and directors in on the show as well as the studded boot of FOX management on his neck will contain his worst excesses, but as much as I like COSMOS and American Dad! I'm going to harden my heart against hope

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't think anyone will disagree that he is fully capable of loving this up, I think we're just mostly expecting the worst and hoping for the best here.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You hope for Ted and expect Million Ways

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even assuming Orville is good I'm operating under the assumption it's going to last a single season anyways.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cross-Section posted:

If that teaser doesn't just scream, "We don't have any of our effects shots done, gently caress" then I don't know what does

Yeah but the weird thing is how they created new effects footage just for that trailer. Like the whole oval/arrowhead flyby (man what was it with that logo, they really pushed it hard with Generations and also First Contact it seems?) and the brief cut of Voyager (???) phasering the poo poo out of the cube.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I completely believe MacFarlane's entire career has been trying to engineer a way for him to make a Star Trek. It may not work but there's no way he's phoning it in, he's going to give this his best shot.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Yeah well JJ Abrams used and cast aside Star Trek like a fancy but ultimately disposable condom just to get at Star Wars, and all he did with that position was remake A New Hope. All I'm saying is that just because something is a creator's passion project or lifelong dream doesn't mean it will be good, even if everyone involved is deeply invested; sometimes it's even a detriment to creativity or quality.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Agreed, in my experience it's easy for people to become blinded to their project's shortcomings because they feel they're hitting all their marks in terms of tributizing their heroes, but they lack a somebody neutral running around going "Uh, yeah, that doesn't make any sense," or "This part is a huge cliche, you need to come up with something more original."

That said... I want to believe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Autism Sneaks posted:

Yeah well JJ Abrams used and cast aside Star Trek like a fancy but ultimately disposable condom just to get at Star Wars,

What?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

He is a huge Star Wars fan and gave no particular shits about Trek and used his making a Trek movie as resume building to get to make a Star Wars movie.

That's the story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He turned down SW when they first offered it to him so uh...

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Bloop posted:

He is a huge Star Wars fan and gave no particular shits about Trek and used his making a Trek movie as resume building to get to make a Star Wars movie.

That's the story.

Supposedly, he was hoping to build Star Trek into a new Star Wars, with a big new expanded universe reaching into games, TV, comics, etc. and jumped ship when it turned out Paramount couldn't deliver him the big multimedia empire opportunity he was hoping for.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In 2009 anyone would've laughed you out of the room if you said George Lucas would sell the rights to Star Wars and let somebody else direct it. So I doubt JJ literally had a plan to abandon Star Trek on his way to Star Wars. But it does seem like when the opportunity came up to actually direct a Star Wars movie he was like "oh drat, that's kinda what I would've rather been doing all along".

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
He's a lovely director and all his space movies suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Autism Sneaks posted:

I think a more germaine source from which one should draw their expectations for the live-action series McFarlane's staring in would be his movies, and those tread a lot closer to the absolute pits of Family Guy than his other fare. Who knows, maybe having other writers and directors in on the show as well as the studded boot of FOX management on his neck will contain his worst excesses, but as much as I like COSMOS and American Dad! I'm going to harden my heart against hope

As long as there isn't a big band frank sinatra-esque extravaganza musical piece where he gets to be a crooner in space I'll be fine.

If in the first episode his character gets a space virus/space injury and hallucinates a huge musical number that's it for me.