Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is the guy pronouncing "antifa" wrong part of what we're supposed to be laughing at? Or have I been pronouncing it wrong myself this whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The Trump thread was so not down with last night's Antifa piece so figured I'd come here and see the direct hot takes but forgot this is a dead thread :(

I liked Ronnys bit with the Australian students. Ronnys always a good time.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

haveblue posted:

Is the guy pronouncing "antifa" wrong part of what we're supposed to be laughing at? Or have I been pronouncing it wrong myself this whole time?

It's not so much the pronunciation as the emphasis. Same thing as how Trump says "China"— technically correct, but he drags out the wrong syllable(s) and sounds like an alien trying to blend in with humans. Antifa ("an-tee-fuh") stands for "anti-fascist", but Trump says it like the "-tifa" is the primary part of the word rather than the combination. So instead of emphasizing "Antee-Fuh" or just a fluid "Anteefuh", it becomes "An-TEEFUHHH". And it certainly doesn't help that he just blurts it out on its own like he literally just learned it five minutes prior and wants to show off his new word to everybody.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Generic American posted:

It's not so much the pronunciation as the emphasis. Same thing as how Trump says "China"— technically correct, but he drags out the wrong syllable(s) and sounds like an alien trying to blend in with humans. Antifa ("an-tee-fuh") stands for "anti-fascist", but Trump says it like the "-tifa" is the primary part of the word rather than the combination. So instead of emphasizing "Antee-Fuh" or just a fluid "Anteefuh", it becomes "An-TEEFUHHH". And it certainly doesn't help that he just blurts it out on its own like he literally just learned it five minutes prior and wants to show off his new word to everybody.

He invented the term you know.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Generic American posted:

Doesn't matter. The correct pronunciation is ahn-tifa.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

jojoinnit posted:

The Trump thread was so not down with last night's Antifa piece so figured I'd come here and see the direct hot takes but forgot this is a dead thread :(

Hot take: Antifa owns and Trevor Noah is bad

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Hot take: Antifa owns and Trevor Noah is bad

Hot take: it's a really complex problem that isn't easily or quickly answered. And I imagine the guy that grew up under apartheid might have a fairly good sense of that. I don't necessarily agree with him, but I get it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The fact that he grew up during apartheid and still said that poo poo is the troubling part due to how clear it is that it's coming from the perspective of "Trevor Noah, multimillionaire".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I very seriously doubt he's a millionaire.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

I very seriously doubt he's a millionaire.

He's been hosting a basic cable channel's flagship show for two years, he's probably got at least a million socked away by now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

he bought a $10 mill apartment in nyc this year

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I don't really give a poo poo about his real estate purchases but Noah has a widely watched platform and he used it to the benefit of the folks that ran over protestors in order to appeal to centrists

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pastrymancy posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about his real estate purchases but Noah has a widely watched platform and he used it to the benefit of the folks that ran over protestors in order to appeal to centrists

Yeah, the segment made me pretty mad, if I'm being honest.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

he bought a $10 mill apartment in nyc this year

My bad, I had no idea CC were capable of paying anywhere near enough for something like that.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Pastrymancy posted:

Oh my, not the centrists. How dare a show try to appeal to the widest possible audience. I'm canceling my subscription.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Far less people subscribe to that philosophy than you think, given the last election.

It seems like the only time people talk about The Daily Show anymore is when Trevor Noah fucks up. I don't hear that happening very often, though.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well, I do make an effort to watch every episode. I haven't caught up on the last two because I've been busy, but I guess I'll take issue with the bit when I get around to seeing it.

When the show's solid, there's not that much to say, and there's plenty of other threads where people can discuss "Trump bad."

In general, Noah's been less openly antagonistic towards the Left than than Sam Bee. But when Noah does police the Left, I don't always get the impression he understands who or what he's criticizing, and it can be quite grating.

I do think late night comedy in general missed out on the chance of being more relevant by ignoring or belittling the Left, and it's symptomatic of the weird liberal cosmopolitan cultural bubble that's a bit beyond the scope of discussion of TDS. In general, Noah's been solid, but still lacks that cathartic bite.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Echo Chamber posted:

Well, I do make an effort to watch every episode. I haven't caught up on the last two because I've been busy, but I guess I'll take issue with the bit when I get around to seeing it.

When the show's solid, there's not that much to say, and there's plenty of other threads where people can discuss "Trump bad."

In general, Noah's been less openly antagonistic towards the Left than than Sam Bee. But when Noah does police the Left, I don't always get the impression he understands who or what he's criticizing, and it can be quite grating.

I do think late night comedy in general missed out on the chance of being more relevant by ignoring or belittling the Left, and it's symptomatic of the weird liberal cosmopolitan cultural bubble that's a bit beyond the scope of discussion of TDS. In general, Noah's been solid, but still lacks that cathartic bite.

i just wish he would poo poo on cable news more. i knew something was up when CNN had that stupid debate countdown timer that was ALWAYS on screen slowly increase from "hours until debate" (reasonable) to "several days until debate" (insane.) i would tune in hoping TDS would mine that rich well of comedy but i think they made 1 or 2 jokes on it the whole election.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Afro posted:

i just wish he would poo poo on cable news more. i knew something was up when CNN had that stupid debate countdown timer that was ALWAYS on screen slowly increase from "hours until debate" (reasonable) to "several days until debate" (insane.) i would tune in hoping TDS would mine that rich well of comedy but i think they made 1 or 2 jokes on it the whole election.
To be fair the countdown clocks were one tiny fish in the ocean of insanity that was the 2015-2016 election

And to be fairer, I don't blame you for repressing memories of that time out of self-preservation

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Echo Chamber posted:

In general, Noah's been less openly antagonistic towards the Left than than Sam Bee. But when Noah does police the Left, I don't always get the impression he understands who or what he's criticizing, and i

Two foreigners miss the mark on the American left. Go figure.

At least I buy Noah's sense of righteousness and generally agree. Bee used hers in the same ways that all of cable news media did for their shills of choice, and it was obnoxious at best.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Propaganda Machine posted:

Two foreigners miss the mark on the American left. Go figure.
Them being immigrants wasn't the problem.

Also, I did wish the CNN bashing continued. Obviously, with this climate of Trump attacking the news, it's understandable why satire would not want to. But CNN's relationship with Trump is really symbiotic rather than meaningfully adversarial. And I haven't forgiven the cable channels for loving up the Bush and Obama years.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Echo Chamber posted:

Them being immigrants wasn't the problem.

Not problems, but points of view that you have to consider in context.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hearing that TDS is pulling its punches on cable news is kinda sad. Jon always made it a point to show that cable news is rotten, although MSNBC got targeted a bit less than CNN and Fox News. I wonder what he'd have to say about Maddow now, but he retired for a reason.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm as far left as the come and pointing out that the violence by antifa is "the wrong thing to do" is not a problem at all. I don't see where the daily show hosed up here.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
So America more or less accepts Trump's story of "violence on both sides"? Because that's essentially what Noah kind of did

Pastrymancy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 2, 2017

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

That's... quite a bit of hyperbole, I think. It seemed to me that his point was more that the reckless violence and black-clad style of antifa looks scary, in a way that makes it easier to do exactly what Trump attempted with his "both sides" garbage. Not that they're as bad as the Nazis, but that they're making it harder to win over hearts and minds.

Mind you, I think that argument is still wrong because I don't seriously believe in this mythical, pearl-clutching moderate that totally ~would~ stand up against the Nazis but "gosh darn it these guys in black hoodies with shields breaking a few windows are so scary! :ohdear:", and I'm firmly convinced that keeping people like the Tiki Nazis terrified of publicly expressing their views is infinitely more valuable than winning over the tepid support of that political unicorn. And even at their absolute worst, the rowdier elements of antifa don't even compare to right-wing militia groups cosplaying as GI Joe while marching around with tacticool rifles strapped to their vests and taking over buildings, all of which we're supposed to just patiently tolerate.

But that segment was bad enough on its own without bending over backwards to equate it with what Trump said.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had problems with the way that segment went down but I also have problems with the idea that we can't criticize random acts of vandalism and violence because the guilty parties flew the right colors.

I'm also a little weirded out by the idea of a bunch of people telling the half white/half black child of apartheid that he doesn't understand the racism and fascism of 2017 America. There seems like a perspective problem there. Or that somehow he's now defending Nazis and Klan members because he criticized their opponents.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

You give Antifa a pass on random loving vandalism because a)it's random loving vandalism and b) there's a literal 50/50 chance it was enacted by a state infiltrator, as has been the discrediting tactic for basically forever.

Turns out the bit was largely loving hypocritical of him, considering he's A-OK with police gunning down striking miners. But I guess state violence gets a pass from him.

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/903664218884501504

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

get that OUT of my face posted:

Far less people subscribe to that philosophy than you think, given the last election.

It seems like the only time people talk about The Daily Show anymore is when Trevor Noah fucks up. I don't hear that happening very often, though.

Occasionally I see these NYC Millionaire Rants That Destroy Trump pop up on my facebook feed. they're uniformly terrible, and they do not in fact destroy trump

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LinYutang posted:

Occasionally I see these NYC Millionaire Rants That Destroy Trump pop up on my facebook feed. they're uniformly terrible, and they do not in fact destroy trump
Yeah they're garbage

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Oh Snapple! posted:

You give Antifa a pass on random loving vandalism because a)it's random loving vandalism and b) there's a literal 50/50 chance it was enacted by a state infiltrator, as has been the discrediting tactic for basically forever.

Turns out the bit was largely loving hypocritical of him, considering he's A-OK with police gunning down striking miners. But I guess state violence gets a pass from him.

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/903664218884501504

Video is unavailable for me, got another link?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's some old stand-up comedy clip because nothing says "I am actually in support of something" like joking about it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

e: whoops, double post

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Video is unavailable for me, got another link?

Oh wow it actually got removed between when I posted it and now :lol:

I'll see if I can't dig something up. His twitter's also being scrubbed.

GutBomb posted:

It's some old stand-up comedy clip because nothing says "I am actually in support of something" like joking about it.

lmao it was literally a loving Blue Lives Matter routine.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 3, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
please do, I can't find anything with some cursory googling, and have no idea of which set it's a part of

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Had to rely on dailymotion for it, bit starts about 8 minutes in

For anyone unfamiliar, video of the incident in question is here, and you can see the miners being ripped up by a hail of gunfire as they flee disoriented from a cloud of teargas at about 1:25, so, you know, don't watch if you really don't want to see that.

It's a bad loving set.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm not seeing a "blue lives matter" angle there. I'm seeing a "if you charge police with weapons what do you expect" angle.

It was also 5 years ago and in South Africa for a South African audience so I'd consider context.

Or I guess one could just talk poo poo too.

He wasn't saying they deserved it. He wasn't saying the police were right in what they did. He was criticizing the people asking why it happened the way it happened because really, what do you loving expect?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 3, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I'm not seeing a "blue lives matter" angle there. I'm seeing a "if you charge police with weapons what do you expect" angle.

It was also 5 years ago and in South Africa for a South African audience so I'd consider context.

Or I guess one could just talk poo poo too.

He wasn't saying they deserved it. He wasn't saying the police were right in what they did. He was criticizing the people asking why it happened the way it happened because really, what do you loving expect?

I enjoy that you can spout this bullshit as if I hadn't included video of exactly what happened.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Had to rely on dailymotion for it, bit starts about 8 minutes in

For anyone unfamiliar, video of the incident in question is here, and you can see the miners being ripped up by a hail of gunfire as they flee disoriented from a cloud of teargas at about 1:25, so, you know, don't watch if you really don't want to see that.

It's a bad loving set.

That honestly looks like a comedian turning his biased take on current events into a routine, I mean, it's turbo-edgy to take a tragedy like that and weave it into standup, but the guy's a comedian, and that show was in what, late 2012...months after the massacre?

If I recall from my South African friends at the time, no one had a clear picture of what had happened leading up to the massacre (with the exception of the strike, and deaths on both sides) and the impression in some outlets was that it was a brutal overreaction by police after several policemen had been killed even before the day of the massacre. Not saying that makes it right, but it's a comedian being edgy with an incomplete picture of the thing he's being edgy about. Hell, even one of the competing strikers' union dudes said the ringleader of the strike should never have motivated the guys to try to leave as the police were going in for the arrests.

I can see how someone getting bits and pieces from the news could see themselves agreeing with that dude and somehow think this could all have been avoided had they just not resistes, ridiculous as that may sound now that we know the whole story.

I kinda doubt that, if you had sat down Noah and told him about all the poo poo with the pre-ordered morturary vans, he'd still have done the same bit in his routine.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 3, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That honestly looks like a comedian turning his biased take on current events into a routine, I mean, it's turbo-edgy to take a tragedy like that and weave it into standup, but the guy's a comedian, and that show was in what, late 2012...months after the massacre?

If I recall from my South African friends at the time, no one had a clear picture of what had happened leading up to the massacre and the impression in some outlets was that it was a brutal overreaction by police after several policemen had been killed even before the day of the massacre. Not saying that makes it right, but it's a comedian being edgy with an incomplete picture of the thing he's being edgy about. Hell, even one of the competing strikers' union dudes said the ringleader of the strike should never have motivated the guys to try to leave as the police were going in for the arrests.

I can see how someone getting bits and pieces from the news could see themselves agreeing with that dude and somehow think this could all have been avoided had they just not resistes, ridiculous as that may sound now that we know the whole story.

I kinda doubt that, if you had sat down Noah and told him about all the poo poo with the pre-ordered morturary vans, he'd still have done the same bit in his routine.

On the other hand, you have bits like the "Because those things (rubber bullets/teargas) don't work anymore" one in which correct context or information doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

On the other hand, you have bits like the "Because those things (rubber bullets/teargas) don't work anymore" one in which correct context or information doesn't really matter.

I'm not really sure what your point is there, but you're taking a 4-minute bit from a comedian about an event that wasn't conclusively investigated at the time of the bit and pretending it's a political manifesto of a guy supporting a state's slaughter of its citizens...

Don't really know what to tell you there, bud.

• Locked thread