Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That double-threaded nut reminds me of this thing that I found in one of the drill presses last year. I puzzled over this one for a long time before I even realized what had happened:

I don't know what kind of mistake you have to make to un-twist a drill bit but, well, there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Cheap chinesium, rosebud torch and vice grips, then put it in some-one else's drill caddy.

Hitting a hardened pin or dowel you didn't expect to hit/be hardened can do it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It would definitely be the latter, because the students aren't smart enough to do this deliberately as a joke, but they are certainly capable of destroying tools in amazing new ways.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
FedEx had a bit of a mishap

More here: https://imgur.com/a/faJ8X

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

`Nemesis posted:

Princess Auto has a pretty good return policy on their jackstands.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

`Nemesis posted:

Thread delivers

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I fought installing a turnbuckle for an hour today until I looked super-close. Someone had so perfectly cross-threaded it that the lefthanded end had both threadforms in it. I could spin a right-handed bolt into both ends of the turnbuckle.

My potato's lens is cracked and smeared with grease, hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, or something, so this is the best pic I could get. That's both left- and right-hand thread 1/4-28.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thread delivers

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

`Nemesis posted:

How? That a write-off yes?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's a whole lot of commas in the cost to fix that, isn't there?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it's not more than two commas because if you hit three comma territory it's way cheaper to buy a new plane.

The number of zeroes is the figure of concern.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was originally going with a comment about the number of zeros, but I figured penny pinching and insurance would make drat sure it was an exact amount. :sigh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Did the stands fail, or were they positioned wrong and just pressing against the skin instead of supporting the spars?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Went and tried to find more info, this was on reddit:

quote:

This jet was N411FE and had already been retired (2013) when this occurred (2014). The hull is in storage in Victorville. They were trying to harvest the landing gear when the jack stand failure occurred.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I wonder if ruined underwear factors into the insurance claim. That had to be pretty gnarly having a plane come off the stands over you.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 28, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

joat mon posted:

I think I need a new throwout bearing.

Why? It looks like it's all there. Mostly.

Memento posted:

Driving them stupidly around an empty farm paddock while drunk and/or high and possibly eventually flipping them or otherwise loving them.

I did that with some friends years ago because we wanted to try and flip a car and get it to roll. We got an early 80s Commodore wagon and welded in the basic-est cage and harness you've ever seen. It was actually really hard to flip it, we ended up digging a ditch we could slide it into, and it only ended up on its side.

I will admit to having done this (field bombing) in high school in my wrecked but running 1978 Fiat 128 sedan. A buddy rolled it on our gravel road but the only damage besides dents and scrapes was the windshield was broken out because the rollover tweaked the greenhouse. It still ran and drove fine. It was gangs of fun to blast across the pasture without a care about the car. Eventually sold it to a friend who used bits of it to fix his X1/9 (same drivetrain, just in the front in my 128.)

Turns out that a tallish narrow vehicle like that with IRS tens to dig the rear wheel in to soft surfaces, like, say, a gravel road, and flip right the gently caress over if you get it sideways, which my buddy did, thanks to the aforementioned gravel and a bit too much right pedal application. That *was* my first car.

I can't stop watching this.

Or this. That is a determined fire.

Collateral Damage posted:

Did the stands fail, or were they positioned wrong and just pressing against the skin instead of supporting the spars?

It looks like both jack stands that punched through are not on the jacking points, so maybe the airframe shifted from efforts to remove the landing gear?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Darchangel posted:

Why? It looks like it's all there. Mostly.

I found the rest between the pressure plate and the clutch disk.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

`Nemesis posted:

There's a note in the maintenance office: "No answer, aircraft left in hangar".

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Dahir Insaat returns!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZjnhL4WddE

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That places way too much trust in ordinary drivers. Someone is going to pull out in front of one of those things, it falls over and someone else gets crushed to death.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That overlooked a ton of poo poo. Like you're going to have to do more than reinforce the surface. What do you suppose that'd weigh? 40 tons? Especially in cities with subway systems

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I wish I had a sweatshop full of 3D animators to make videos of things I think up while stoned out of my gourd.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cojawfee posted:

That places way too much trust in ordinary drivers. Someone is going to pull out in front of one of those things, it falls over and someone else gets crushed to death.

I see you're unfamiliar with Dahir Insaat's particular brand of insanity. This is the dude who came up with a drive-in grocery store.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

monsterzero posted:

I wish I had a sweatshop full of 3D animators to make videos of things I think up while stoned out of my gourd.

So you want to be Dan Harmon?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Plinkey posted:

So you want to be Dan Harmon?

I was going to say Seth Rogen.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dahir Insaat is incredible. Retsupurae had some hilarious commentary videos up for a while, they got copyright struck but you can still find them if you google.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A friend of a friend here in SF has been trying to make a gyroscopically stabilized motorcycle-like commuter car thing for like ten years now.

http://litmotors.com/

There's still only the one prototype, which he works on when he feels like it in between racing motorcycles and building rock-crawling trucks (extraordinarily wealthy family). It does work, and can balance itself on two wheels at a stop, but because progress is "whenever" I think most of the tech press and investors have lost interest.

I don't really see the point personally.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

A friend of a friend here in SF has been trying to make a gyroscopically stabilized motorcycle-like commuter car thing for like ten years now.

http://litmotors.com/

There's still only the one prototype, which he works on when he feels like it in between racing motorcycles and building rock-crawling trucks (extraordinarily wealthy family). It does work, and can balance itself on two wheels at a stop, but because progress is "whenever" I think most of the tech press and investors have lost interest.

I don't really see the point personally.

They were actually a thing in the 1920s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrocar

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It really is kind of pointless because the width of the vehicle you need to house the gyro mass means you might as well just stick four wheels on it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe combine it with flywheel energy storage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbdkZB9-Sd4

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Sagebrush posted:

...a gyroscopically stabilized motorcycle-like commuter car thing...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Technically, isn't every motorcycle "gyroscopically stabilized"?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No. The gyroscopic effect of the wheels has almost nothing to do with stability. Skilled riders can prove this by keeping their bike upright while crawling forwards at a less-than-walking pace, where the wheels are turning so slowly that the gyroscopic force can be ignored.

The main reason that a tandem two-wheeled vehicle stays balanced is because it's continuously steered to keep the center of gravity in line with the wheels, and because the frame geometry is designed to return it to that position when no imbalanced forces are applied.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Have you ever driven a lovely bike with steel wheels and a fancy bike with CF/Alum wheels? Did you take your hands off the handle bars on both and notice how the later is significantly harder to keep balanced?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The deciding factor was usually the headset bearings, if you're talking pedal bikes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FatCow posted:

Have you ever driven a lovely bike with steel wheels and a fancy bike with CF/Alum wheels? Did you take your hands off the handle bars on both and notice how the later is significantly harder to keep balanced?

I might be qualified to make that comparison and I think my road bike might be fancy enough.

Nope. It's headset stiffness that makes for a more stable no hands bike.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 1, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Fork rake and frame geometry for road bikes also have a lot to do with the apparent instability of those bikes. It's not a bug, it's a deliberate feature -you want that bike to be maneuverable and respond to input quickly

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I remember some researchers tested this by building a bike that had another set of wheels above the normal wheels touching them. These would spin at the same speed in opposite direction to nullify the gyroscopic effect and it was still rideable pretty normally.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Gyroscopic effect takes some serious speed to be noticeable with light bicycle wheels. You can balance a bicycle while barely moving, but gyroscopic effect doesn't become noticeable until you're over 20mph, generally.

People that think gyroscopic effect does much to help balance bikes don't ride, or don't think about what they do to balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well "noticeable" is relative. Hold a bicycle wheel at the axle and have someone spin it, you'll feel it.

It's not gonna help you keep balance on a bike though.