Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Were there any unanimous decisions? Players that appeared at least somewhere on everyone's list?

edit: sorry to say it won't be number one, thanks to me. somehow I forgot about the Hit Manufacturing Machine.

e:

Paul Zuvella posted:

It happens all the time in baseball tbh. Mike Trout was unanimous one of his years, Pujols had one and Bonds had one. I'm sure there are a ton more.

meant on this poll

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Walrus posted:

Were there any unanimous decisions? Players that appeared at least somewhere on everyone's list?

It happens all the time in baseball tbh. Mike Trout was unanimous one of his years, Pujols had one and Bonds had one. I'm sure there are a ton more.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Walrus posted:

I'd bet the top of the hated list is probably the closest we'll get to unanimity. Chapman or Braun.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think he means on the favorite/unfavorite lists. Wouldn't be surprised to see the likely #1 unfavorite and favorites as near-universal guys.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I think he means on the favorite/unfavorite lists. Wouldn't be surprised to see the likely #1 unfavorite and favorites as near-universal guys.

I could see the top guys being close to unanimous, too. Altuve and Ichiro didn't make my list, but they'd be in my top 15 or top 20 easily. Nothing against them at all, I just have stronger feelings about other players.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I think it's safe to say that one of the reasons why I didn't vote this year is because the only player I could think of to put on the hated list was Chapman.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I know the Cubs ultimately won but as far as individual moments go Rajai Davis owning Chapman was terrific

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

The Walrus posted:

There were not, but hey, variety is the spice of life. :) There were no unanimously loved/hated folks in last year's poll either, to be fair, but it did take 7 ballots before I saw a Bartolo Colón-free set of votes, if I recall correctly.

edit:

Pancakes posted:

I could see the top guys being close to unanimous, too. Altuve and Ichiro didn't make my list, but they'd be in my top 15 or top 20 easily. Nothing against them at all, I just have stronger feelings about other players.

72% of ballots had our #1 most hated on there, and 56% had our #1 most favorite. Goon hatred is way more focused than goon love for a lot of reasons, but primarily because we love for a wider variety of reasons (handsomeness, personality, slider filthiness, donkey purchases, etc.) and we hate for like, one or two (homophobia & unwarranted violence are the big ones), AND those reasons are thankfully relatively rare.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 30, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

72% of ballots had our #1 most hated on there, and 56% had our #1 most favorite. Goon hatred is way more focused than goon love for a lot of reasons, but primarily because we love for a wider variety of reasons (handsomeness, personality, slider filthiness, donkey purchases, etc.) and we hate for like, one or two (homophobia & unwarranted violence are the big ones), AND those reasons are thankfully relatively rare.

It's already wonderful and makes me giggle on the merits of purchasing a donkey, but the fact that I read this as "donkey punches" is just an added bonus.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
It's so great. I was probably going to vote for Joey Votto anyway, but the whole Cozart thing definitely bumped him up my list.

edit: also, while looking over my votes, I learned that I accidentally voted for Josh Osich instead of Josh Harrison. :negative:

edit2: and if I'd voted correctly, Harrison would have tied with Canó & Encarnación so I'm a double failure

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 30, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't vote for Ichiro because I only really started following baseball a few years back and his heyday was before that (though he still is great). I just didn't know much about the guy. So I went and read his wiki just now. Holy gently caress. He's on my list next year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dutchy posted:

I know the Cubs ultimately won but as far as individual moments go Rajai Davis owning Chapman was terrific

At the time, it was devastating, but it hindsight it's great because it meant Zobrist was the clear-cut MVP.

And I preferred David Ross owning Andrew Miller. :colbert:

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
tbf it isn't just Chapman that made it cool but some residual love for Rajai as one of the only fun parts of the Bob Geren A's

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Pancakes posted:

It's already wonderful and makes me giggle on the merits of purchasing a donkey, but the fact that I read this as "donkey punches" is just an added bonus.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who read it like that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I was so excited for Javy to come up.

I've been with the team nearly four years now so I was around when he first came up to the bigs. I didn't meet him, but I met his sister many times and she was always super nice. She came to almost every home game! I don't work with players often, but anybody who does has always said that Javy is absolutely the nicest guy on the team. Never heard a bad thing said about him.

When we got our rings, Javy and Schwarber formed a mini receiving line for all the front office associates to thank and congratulate us. I found out later that they did this on their own, nobody asked them to do it.

It will take a lot to drop him from my top spot so long as he's with the team (and even after).

I forgot to include this article about his origins in my Javygasm.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/13512551/after-loss-injury-javier-baez-ready-cubs

A beautiful baseball baby

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm sure you'll all be shocked at the results.

#1 Most Hated - 118 points

Aroldis Chapman
Team: New York Yankees
Debut: August 31, 2010

#1 votes: 1
#2 votes: 3
#3 votes: 2

What's to hate? Aroldis Chapman has the dubious honor of being the first player punished under MLB's newly enacted anti-domestic violence policy. He "allegedly" choked his girlfriend, pushed her into a wall, and fired gunshots in his garage to intimidate her. He apologized though...but only for using the gun. :shrug:

Current Rankings

quote:

1. Aroldis Chapman
2. Ryan Braun
3. José Reyes
4. Daniel Murphy
5. Madison Bumgarner
6. Jake Arrieta
7. Rougned Odor
8. Trevor Bauer
9. Matt Bush
10. Matt Garza
11. Yadier Molina
12. Chase Utley
13. John Lackey, Jung-ho Kang
14. Hunter Strickland, Jeff Samardzija
15. Addison Russell
16. Kyle Schwarber, Eric Hosmer, Mike Trout
17. Dustin Pedroia
18. Brian McCann
19. Sean Rodriguez, Chris Sale
20. Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo
21. John Jaso, Jeurys Familia, Jonathan Papelbon
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis
24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez
25. Jason Heyward, DJ LeMahieu, Miguel Cabrera, Hunter Pence, José Bautista

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#1 Most Loved - 95 points

Ichiro Suzuki
Team: Miami Marlins
Debut: July 11, 1992 (NPB), April 2, 2001 (MLB)

#1 votes: 1
#2 votes: 4
#3 votes: 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNG2cRlHfaY

What's to love? Ichiro can do it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H80xg3aCx0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b6JWf2VDjc

He racked up his 3,000th hit last year, and became the oldest player to start in center field since 1900 this June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpOSRbSp4uE

In fact, he recently became the hittingest foreign-born MLB player ever, having surpassed Rod Carew's record in July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMM-YuX5rwo

Post intermission -- "ICHI PECT" is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life. Seriously what the gently caress. Post intermission over.

And four days ago, Ichiro set the Marlins franchise record for pinch hits in a single season at 22. Even in his dotage (by baseball standards), the guy rakes.

Okay, so at the age of 43, he IS showing signs of slowing down. However, his speed, his work ethic, and his hitting ability have continued to be a valuable asset for him.

Also, he knows how to impress more sophisticated ladies, and that's valuable at any age.

quote:

Chicks who dig home runs aren’t the ones who appeal to me. I think there's sexiness in infield hits because they require technique. I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4mzaqJC4WQ

Current Rankings

quote:

1. Ichiro Suzuki
2. José Altuve
3. Joey Votto
4. Aaron Judge
5. Javier Báez
6. Josh Donaldson
7. Bryce Harper
8. Mike Trout
9. Bartolo Colón
10. Carl Edwards, Jr.
11. Giancarlo Stanton
12. Adrián Beltré
13. Yasiel Puig
14. Andrew McCutchen, Marcus Stroman
15. Kris Bryant
16. Willson Contreras, Anthony Rizzo, José Bautista
17. Dexter Fowler, Clayton Kershaw, Mookie Betts
18. Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sánchez
19. Roberto Osuna, Yoenis Céspedes
20. Kyle Hendricks, Buster Posey
21. Brandon McCarthy
22. Robinson Canó, Edwin Encarnación
23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain
24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa
25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I didn't put together a list this year, but Aroldis Chapman loving sucks and he's a terrible person to boot

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Important Ichiro Moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtImIqR5neU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I was trying very hard not to make my post a clone of my 2016 post, but yes, that is an important Ichiro moment indeed.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLX8LfQKDOw

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Crappy quality but this video owns bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zcrgkO7TCk

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Ichiro 2012 remix is gone off YouTube and I am sad about it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I never heard that Ichiro quote about infield hits impressing ladies. I'm totally using that now as an excuse for lack of power.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
There will be more fun facts later, but in the meantime, I'm going to most my ballots because I'm sure you're all dying to know who I voted for. I'm not going to bother explaining the super obvious ones.

Most Hated

1) José Reyes
2) Derek Norris (possibly beat the poo poo out of his ex-fiancee)
3) Aroldis Chapman
4) Chase Utley
5) Ryan Braun
6) Jeurys Familia
7) Madison Bumgarner
8) Ian Kinsler (for his remarks about not wanting young kids to emulate the most fun players in the WBC -- he later clarified, but not by the time I'd voted)
9) Daniel Murphy
10 ) John Jaso (that loving hair :argh: )

Most Loved

1) Jerry Blevins (just read my post about him, I guess)
2) Joey Votto
3) Andrew Miller
4) Dexter Fowler
5) Justin Bour (fun personality, rakes)
6) Mookie Betts
7) Josh Osich (meant to vote for Josh Harrison, hosed up my own damned spreadsheet)
8) Michael Conforto (was having a tremendous season until his shoulder exploded)
9) Jacob deGrom (the only consistently good player the Mets have left)
10) Chris Sale

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 31, 2017

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I've always liked Ichiro's occasional bonehead plays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8hQ96HiAuQ

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I did this at the beginning last year, but I saw no reason not to lump all the stats-y stuff together at the end, so without further ado...

MLB's best ERA without receiving a single Most Loved vote: 2.40, belonging to Gio González

https://twitter.com/cuteoverload/status/516203201435938816

Working theories: He's having a fantastic year, and he has an adorable dog, but he plays on a team with a bunch of people who are objectively cooler than him. Them's the breaks.

For what it's worth, Max Scherzer, the Nats ace, only got one vote, and it was not particularly high. Nats homerism is a little weak in SAS-land, methinks.

MLB's best batting average without receiving a single Most Loved vote: .339, belonging to Charlie Blackmon

Working theories: Perhaps people are disgusted by his hair situation? Also, like González, Blackmon lives in the shadow of a cooler teammate (Arenado). His HR Derby performance was pretty underwhelming too, for what it's worth.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Awww I missed the thread! I could have been Boog Powell's only voter!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Blackmon is OPSing .808 away from Coors. He's a good player, but there are plenty of those around the league who don't have an incredibly awful hair/beard combo.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Thanks for running the poll again, YTM! This is always a super fun time. It feels like baseball is actually getting more and more fun lately, just with so many good personalities, and it's heartening that it was easy to find plenty of worthy people for my own faves list and difficult to fill out the hates.

My lists:

Favorites:
1. Javier Baez, CHC
2. Willson Contreras, CHC
3. Carl Edwards Jr, CHC
4. Ichiro Suzuki, MIA
5. Nolan Arenado, COL
6. Clayton Kershaw, LAD
7. Joey Votto, CIN
8. Jose Altuve, HOU
9. Giancarlo Stanton, MIA
10. Dexter Fowler, STL

Least Favorites:
1. Ryan Braun, MIL
2. Matt Garza, MIL
3. Daniel Murphy, WAS
4. Aroldis Chapman, NYY
5. Jose Reyes, NYM
6. Jeff Samardzija, SF
7. Brian McCann, HOU
8. Hunter Strickland, SF
9. Trevor Bauer, CLE
10. Sean Rodriguez, ATL

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Here are my lists:

Favorites:

1. Kris Bryant, CHC
2. Carl Edwards Jr, CHC
3. Javy Baez, CHC
4. Willson Contreras, CHC
5. Ichiro Suzuki, MIA
6. Kyle Hendricks, CHC
7. Kyle Schwarber, CHC
8. Joey Votto, CIN
9. Giancarlo Stanton, MIA
10. Jose Altuve, HOU

Hated:

1. Ryan Braun, MIL
2. Matt Garza, MIL
3. Daniel Murphy, WAS
4. Jose Reyes, NYM
5. Jeff Samardzija, SFG
6. Aroldis Chapman, NYY
7. Chase Utley , LAD
8. Trevor Bauer, CLE
9. John Lackey, CHC
10. Jose Bautista, TOR

My only regret is I forgot that Matt Bush existed until he came up in this thread.

Poque and I filled out our ballots completely separately and we still ended up with the same 1/2/3 most hated. :allears:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My only regret is I forgot that Matt Bush existed until he came up in this thread.

I keep forgetting that Matt Bush exists because there are so many hateable Mets these days and it's just easier for me to focus on the NL East in general.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It's a good thing that Josh Lueke washed out. It would be hard to decide between them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Favourite:
1. Javier Baez
2. Anthony Rizzo
3. Joey Votto
4. Jason Heyward
5. CJ Edwards
6. Kyle Schwarber
7. Starlin Castro
8. Jose Altuve
9. Bryce Harper
10. Dexter Fowler #trader

Dislike:
1. Jose Reyes
2. Jung Ho Kang
3. Ryan Braun
4. Aroldis Chapman
5. Hunter Strickland
6. Yadier Molina
7. Trevor Bauer
8. Sean Rodriguez
9. Jason Grilli
10. Brian McCann

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
lmao Starlin Castro on a favorites list. Cubs fans.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

1. Javy Baez
2. Kyle Hendricks
3. Carl Edwards, Jr.
4. Kyle Schwarber
5. Anthony Rizzo
6. Jose Altuve
7. Jorge Soler
8. Willson Contreras
9. Melky Cabrera
10. James Shields

ahahaha, i forgot i had shields on here, but he's unironically brought me more joy than any non-cub over the past two seasons.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Post your list so we can all make fun of it :colbert:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He was the only relevant player on this team. For years.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I mean, I knew all the Cubs posters here were super homers, but...

e: my non-homer list:

Most Liked

1 Noah Syndergaard (good pitcher, excellent on Twitter)
2 Bartolo Colon (legendary fat guy, better now he's no longer a Brave)
3 Bryce Harper (cool dude, amazing hair)
4 Ichiro (because Ichiro)
5 Yoenis Cespedes (hits bombs, cannon arm, single-handedly got us into the 2015 postseason)
6 Adrian Beltre (head touching)
7 Nori Aoki (best interview in MLB)
8 Brandon McCarthy (funny on Twitter)
9 Robinson Cano (very cool, good since forever)
10 Jose Altuve (tiny yet awesome)

Bryce Harper (cool dude, amazing hair)

Most Disliked

1 Chase Utley (gently caress Chase Utley)
2 Madison Bumgarner (rear end in a top hat, redneck)
3 Daniel Murphy (only enabled god mode after leaving the Mets, also anti-gay)
4 Kyle Schwarber (waaaaaaaaaaayy overrated)
5 John Lackey (generally an rear end in a top hat)
6 Matt Garza (generally an rear end in a top hat)
7 Brian McCann (fun police)
8 Colby Rasmus (never want to see that face again)
9 Billy Hamilton (yeah he's fast but he's just not a very good player)
10 John Jaso (white guy dreads)

(I got Nori Aoki confused with Munenori Kawasaki somehow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Getting Nori Aoki and Munenori Kawasaki mixed up is way more acceptable than accidentally voting for Josh Osich instead of Josh Harrison in your own poll. :doh:

Anyway, 84 players received at least one most hated vote, and 97 players received at least one most loved vote. Here are the lists. Players with exactly one point will be bolded, as is tradition.

Most Hated posted:

Addison Russell
Albert Pujols
Alex Bregman
Anthony Rizzo
Aroldis Chapman
Ben Zobrist
Billy Hamilton
Brandon Crawford
Brian McCann
Bryce Harper
Carlos Beltrán