Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The AWS associate certs are non-trivial. They aren't hard, but certainly aren't for beginners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Entering the field for your first job with just AWS certs will mean literally nothing
My reasoning is that if I'm interviewing straight out of school kids for a help desk/3rd shift NOC position, then want-to, desire to learn, and basic troubleshooting thought processes are more important than their actual credentials. I don't care if they know how to hook up a printer or not.

The A+ will lose all value to any future employers once you get that first gig but the AWS associate would still be relevant and potentially catch someone's eye.

big money big clit posted:

The AWS associate certs are non-trivial. They aren't hard, but certainly aren't for beginners.
My fault then. I assumed they were of similar difficulty to the VCA certs.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Diva Cupcake posted:

Skip VCA, get your Devops League cert:
http://devopsleague.com/course.html

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Diva Cupcake posted:

My reasoning is that if I'm interviewing straight out of school kids for a help desk/3rd shift NOC position, then want-to, desire to learn, and basic troubleshooting thought processes are more important than their actual credentials. I don't care if they know how to hook up a printer or not.

The A+ will lose all value to any future employers once you get that first gig but the AWS associate would still be relevant and potentially catch someone's eye.

You must also not know what's on the A+ and N+, and are taking wild guesses based on conjecture from SA threads. N+ has entire sections on the basic troubleshooting process and making sure to think from the ground up, asking simple questions to narrow down the scope of the issue before starting to address the problem. I believe A+ has similar sections, and the entire second test is based on end-user troubleshooting and best practices.

If I had to hire an intern and I saw three applications, all three currently holding a sales associate job, and one had no certs but said they're great with computers, one had the N+, and one had AWS, I can tell you right off the bat who I'm leaning towards for the interview stage. We don't use AWS here so that's completely irrelevant and the guy with the N+ has already shown initiative to learn and advance, and I can count on at least a cursory knowledge of troubleshooting (like asking "when was the last time it worked").

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I wouldn't ever immediately void any candidate for a position for a certification, class or even a degree from a scummy known degree-mill.

I would however prefer to interview those whom have taken, even studying, actual carts through actual Vendors - Microsoft, Cisco, Redhat, etc. because I know for a fact the content is of quality but I know also recognize there's a hell of a lot more too someone than just possessing the ability of passing a certification.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 30, 2017

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
turds

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 26, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Chickenwalker posted:

You're all paragons of humanity, to be sure. The demonstrative morality judges will be sure to give you each gold stars on your shining armor.

Thanks for your posts, you've really helped a lot of people break into the IT field here, keep it up!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

FTFY

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Is SY0-401 still the hotness for Sec+? I thought I read somewhere that the new test was coming up soon, at https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/security#tab2 so the current one is still obtainable. Mine expired in April and just today I got calls from 3 recruiters that want me to get into a possible security role but lacking on an updated Sec+ is a ding right now.

Wondering if I should try to knock that one out, now that Ive been in the deeper aspects the job for the last few years, it shouldn't be as much of a climb as it was the first time.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you have 0 job experience in IT, nobody wants to hire you. If nobody hires you, you can't get IT job experience.

One way to get around that hurdle is to complete a CompTIA cert. AWS certs will probably do the same thing, but may limit the available jobs because I can't imagine hiring a cloud engineer with no IT experience. I think AWS certs help boost a resume for somebody moving up in the IT field.

Who needs IT experience to click a bunch of buttons and then learn how to automate the button clicking?????

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Haha, read his post history in this thread. He is an idiot.

Enjoy your tape backup certs, idiot.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MrBigglesworth posted:

Is SY0-401 still the hotness for Sec+? I thought I read somewhere that the new test was coming up soon, at https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/security#tab2 so the current one is still obtainable. Mine expired in April and just today I got calls from 3 recruiters that want me to get into a possible security role but lacking on an updated Sec+ is a ding right now.

Wondering if I should try to knock that one out, now that Ive been in the deeper aspects the job for the last few years, it shouldn't be as much of a climb as it was the first time.

The test is changing soon. I want to say October, but your Google is as good as mine.

So yeah, get to or wait until new study guides come out.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I have to get a Juniper JCNIA cert for work. Whats the best way for me to mess around with the CLI? I really learn best when I can actually poke around in an interface and do config changes etc. Would the best thing for me to do be to get a cheap piece of used equipment? Something like a SRX 100, 110, or 210 something like that? Or are there any cheap or free simulator programs? I'm coming from the Cisco world so I'm curious if theres any kind of Juniper equivalent to Packet Tracer.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charliegrs posted:

So I have to get a Juniper JCNIA cert for work. Whats the best way for me to mess around with the CLI? I really learn best when I can actually poke around in an interface and do config changes etc. Would the best thing for me to do be to get a cheap piece of used equipment? Something like a SRX 100, 110, or 210 something like that? Or are there any cheap or free simulator programs? I'm coming from the Cisco world so I'm curious if theres any kind of Juniper equivalent to Packet Tracer.

If your job uses Juniper you might be able to get an image there and just run a bunch of VMs in GNS3.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just passed the ICND2, meaning I'm now a CCNA! Not sure what I'm going to focus on next other than some Powershell. Oh, and getting a new job.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Peachfart posted:

Just passed the ICND2, meaning I'm now a CCNA! Not sure what I'm going to focus on next other than some Powershell. Oh, and getting a new job.

Nice work friend. On to bigger and better things!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Peachfart posted:

Awesome man!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Peachfart posted:

Hey, congrats!

Also, for what it's worth to anyone with a similar question to mine on the last page, I had an interview for a helpdesk position and one of the interviewers (who actually works in the field, not HR) mentioned the A+ being a good differentiator for candidates.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Quick question:

I've found CBT campus. They have an admittedly huge library of courses that they are claiming will prepare for a multitude of tests, with a money back guarantee if a practice test is passed first and the real test is failed afterwards.

Does anyone have experience with this place? I've checked around and found an A+ rating from the BBB, and the only complaints I've seen seem to be from people who have trouble holding themselves accountable. I've been offered a full year of their course catalogue, which seems a bit too good to be true, but if it's legit I'm tempted to take it and see if I can't squeak out at least CCNA, CCNP, and maybe some powershell or vsphere.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oyster posted:

Quick question:

I've found CBT campus. They have an admittedly huge library of courses that they are claiming will prepare for a multitude of tests, with a money back guarantee if a practice test is passed first and the real test is failed afterwards.

Does anyone have experience with this place? I've checked around and found an A+ rating from the BBB, and the only complaints I've seen seem to be from people who have trouble holding themselves accountable. I've been offered a full year of their course catalogue, which seems a bit too good to be true, but if it's legit I'm tempted to take it and see if I can't squeak out at least CCNA, CCNP, and maybe some powershell or vsphere.

BBB is bullshit, you literally pay them to get a good rating. Other than that I have zero idea about CBT campus.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hey y'all I just graduated wgu's it security track today. Feels really loving good to complete a bachelors after dropping out of a state university 10 years ago.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hey y'all I just graduated wgu's it security track today. Feels really loving good to complete a bachelors after dropping out of a state university 10 years ago.

Congratulations! :yotj:

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Congrats! That's got to be a good feeling.

Peachfart posted:

:words:

Congrats on getting the CCNA to you as well.

Getting a good cert definitely opened doors for me. Just started a new job at a big bank that came with a much larger bonus and a 20k pay raise over what I was doing, just because I updated LinkedIn with my CISSP info.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Good stuff. I think you had just been starting when I finished mine up at WGU and I get the large weight that's been lifted. Congrats!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Amazing! Congratulations! :yayclod:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Speaking of WGU, they just got rid of/modified their BS IT- Security track a couple days ago. It's now called "BS Network Operations and Security"

https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/information-technology-security-network-administration-bachelors-program

They've also changed the certifications in the program:

- They dropped Linux+, I'm assuming because it was too difficult for most students. In it's place they have the "CompTIA Linux Essentials" certificate which is real introductory stuff
- They dropped the second database course from their track and added a ... "Emerging Technologies" course?
- They added a "CompTIA Cloud Essentials" certificate
- They've also added the CCDA "Cisco Certified Design Associate" certificate
- Some small certificates to their coursework like ITIL Foundations and CIW-SDA

I'm in the BS - IT Security program and am in the middle of getting my Linux+, might switch over to this track in December just for the cloud class and the name

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Congrats!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

FCKGW posted:

Speaking of WGU, they just got rid of/modified their BS IT- Security track a couple days ago. It's now called "BS Network Operations and Security"

https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/information-technology-security-network-administration-bachelors-program

They've also changed the certifications in the program:

- They dropped Linux+, I'm assuming because it was too difficult for most students. In it's place they have the "CompTIA Linux Essentials" certificate which is real introductory stuff
- They dropped the second database course from their track and added a ... "Emerging Technologies" course?
- They added a "CompTIA Cloud Essentials" certificate
- They've also added the CCDA "Cisco Certified Design Associate" certificate
- Some small certificates to their coursework like ITIL Foundations and CIW-SDA

I'm in the BS - IT Security program and am in the middle of getting my Linux+, might switch over to this track in December just for the cloud class and the name

So they thought the Linux+ was too difficult and instead loaded the degree with CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, and CCDA?

Holy hell that's a lot of cisco to take down.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm still tempted to try and knock out a masters from WGU at some point.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I 100% need to. We'd be fools not to. Fools!

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Ive been toying with the idea of going through the BS (& maybe MS) for Cybersecurity there. I have a BS already, but its mostly useless other than fulfilling a generic checkmark for employers that want a BS in anything.

But work is a timesink and I feel like I'd struggle to find time to learn effectively.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I 100% need to. We'd be fools not to. Fools!

I dunno it's a bunch of extra work and 6k / year. Maybe at some point I'll go back for masters but I don't have the years of experience to back it up anyway.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Congrats to everyone graduating/getting certified. I started my MS-MIS this week. Hoping to get closer to the six figure range in my next role post graduation.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Got an offer for a helpdesk gig today. :woop:

Advice on next steps? Unless they specifically request it, I'm planning to stop pursuing the A+ but not sure what to focus on next. Would Net+ and Sec+ be broadly applicable even if I were to, say, go down a sysadmin track?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Space Racist posted:

Got an offer for a helpdesk gig today. :woop:

Advice on next steps? Unless they specifically request it, I'm planning to stop pursuing the A+ but not sure what to focus on next. Would Net+ and Sec+ be broadly applicable even if I were to, say, go down a sysadmin track?

Net+ is good foundation material but it won't open any doors for you once you have a help desk position for a year or so. You might consider studying it and seeing what you think of the material, and then decide if it's worth taking the exam to get certified. Knowing what it covers will help you in all areas of IT IMO. Some people around here recommend skipping N+ and doing CCENT, which is fairly vendor-neutral despite being a Cisco cert. It's a little harder but more valuable, and you've got 1 of 2 exams out of the way if you want to go for your CCNA.

Sec+ is DoD approved and has its place in firms that do military contracting and the like, and has thus worked its way down to being somewhat respected within HR at companies that have nothing to do with it. I'd say the material's less interesting (because most of it is basically IT common sense) but it does cover the basics of hashing, encryption, CIA, etc. More valuable job-wise than N+.

If you want to do a sysadmin thing, do like I'm doing and enable Hyper-V on your home computer and get a Server 2012 machine going, turn it into a DC, and hook a few clients into it. Get the Sybex MCSA 2012 book and lab the material.

Also, congrats!

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 1, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Net+ is good foundation material but it won't open any doors for you once you have a help desk position for a year or so. You might consider studying it and seeing what you think of the material, and then decide if it's worth taking the exam to get certified. Knowing what it covers will help you in all areas of IT IMO. Some people around here recommend skipping N+ and doing CCENT, which is fairly vendor-neutral despite being a Cisco cert. It's a little harder but more valuable, and you've got 1 of 2 exams out of the way if you want to go for your CCNA.

Sec+ is DoD approved and has its place in firms that do military contracting and the like, and has thus worked its way down to being somewhat respected within HR at companies that have nothing to do with it. I'd say the material's less interesting (because most of it is basically IT common sense) but it does cover the basics of hashing, encryption, CIA, etc. More valuable job-wise than N+.

If you want to do a sysadmin thing, do like I'm doing and enable Hyper-V on your home computer and get a Server 2012 machine going, turn it into a DC, and hook a few clients into it. Get the Sybex MCSA 2012 book and lab the material.

Also, congrats!

I agree with all of this. I have my Net+ and it was mostly memorizing network stuff, like the A+ was for hardware/software. CCENT was far more valuable to me, in both learning and the progress made towards my CCNA.
CompTIA certs are mostly geared towards entry-level, but the Sec+ is pretty solid.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Just putting this out there, no system admin I’ve ever dealt with knew networking. Their knowledge stopped at the outbound interface. Doesn’t matter what job it was, if a system admin is on the conference call, they’re saying, “maybe it’s a networking problem” it isn’t, it’s an application issue or possibly the firewall, did you reboot your server, oh you didn’t make those routes permanent did you, I’ll never get this hour of my life back will I

So definitely focus on system admin if that’s your jam, but it can’t hurt to know a baseline for IP networking.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Just putting this out there, no system admin I’ve ever dealt with knew networking. Their knowledge stopped at the outbound interface. Doesn’t matter what job it was, if a system admin is on the conference call, they’re saying, “maybe it’s a networking problem” it isn’t, it’s an application issue or possibly the firewall, did you reboot your server, oh you didn’t make those routes permanent did you, I’ll never get this hour of my life back will I

So definitely focus on system admin if that’s your jam, but it can’t hurt to know a baseline for IP networking.

It's funny, because I work for a software company but I have a networking background. It's ALWAYS the loving network. "Your code is a piece of poo poo and doesn't work" translates to "Our network is poo poo and doesn't work." Don't loving tell me "It can't be the network, our engineers checked everything" when all you did is ping the loving camera from the recorder. I once drove to another state on a Friday when I was supposed to be going back home because some hot poo poo customer insisted our software was at fault and they were gonna go with someone else if we didn't fix it. Then, when I got there, the IT manager pulled out a loving shotgun and said "You're not leaving until it's fixed." They had 50+ ms jitter and 70% packet loss at 10mbps. :fuckoff:

...Sorry. What were we talking about again?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For network, learning up to CCNA as a system administrator will help you when dealing with the network team. They'll know that you know sorta what you're talking about, and hopefully give you the benefit of the doubt when problems come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For network, learning up to CCNA as a system administrator will help you when dealing with the network team. They'll know that you know sorta what you're talking about, and hopefully give you the benefit of the doubt when problems come up.

Speaking as a network guy, I loving love it when sysadmins and such can talk to me in my language. I feel like network admins should get some experience in an OS, and sysadmins should get some CCNA. It makes things way faster when people at least have an idea what the other is about. It just seems to be easier for network folks to get some OS knowledge than vice-versa, probably because it's easier to ignore the network if you aren't a network admin, but even a network admin has to use an OS of some sort.

So as not to waste this post, anyone around here taken the CCNP SWITCH recently that can speak to whether PoE is on it at all? It's not on the exam topics, but I don't trust those things after that shitshow I had doing the ROUTE, and the videos I have access to at work mention PoE as a topic.