Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I feel like I've been lied to my whole life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EightBit posted:

Gyroscopic effect takes some serious speed to be noticeable with light bicycle wheels. You can balance a bicycle while barely moving, but gyroscopic effect doesn't become noticeable until you're over 20mph, generally.

People that think gyroscopic effect does much to help balance bikes don't ride, or don't think about what they do to balance.

If you sit on a chair that can spin and you hold a spinning bicycle wheel, you can tilt the wheel to turn the chair.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Also airfoils don't work because "the shape creates a low pressure area above the wing".

:v:

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
There is one way that gyroscopic action helps stabilize a bike both pedal and power, as the bike leans the gyroscopic procession adds a steering force that turns into the lean and helps to right it. Between this and the rake and caster it wants to autocorrect and will do so until it is going so slowly the resulting inputs are too dampened or the front tire scrubs or the forks or bars hit the frame. I think the reason a tight headset make hands free riding easier is that it dampens oscillations that would otherwise build.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

xzzy posted:

Also airfoils don't work because "the shape creates a low pressure area above the wing".

:v:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding or missing a joke, but per Bernoulli's principle the fast-moving air above the wing exerts less pressure than the slow-moving air under the wing, correct? Thus creating a net force upwards? I'm assuming your point is that there's much more to it than that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cojawfee posted:

If you sit on a chair that can spin and you hold a spinning bicycle wheel, you can tilt the wheel to turn the chair.

I tried this with a high-powered leaf blower and didn't go as planned.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

You have been, about a great many things.

Fifty Three posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding or missing a joke, but per Bernoulli's principle the fast-moving air above the wing exerts less pressure than the slow-moving air under the wing, correct? Thus creating a net force upwards? I'm assuming your point is that there's much more to it than that.

You're missing the part about "why would the air move faster over the top part of the wing? What would make it do that?"
Also "how do stunt planes fly upside down", and "how does that plane with the KFC buckets for wings fly?"

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6geOms33Dk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFO4PBolwFg

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 1, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I tried this with a high-powered leaf blower and didn't go as planned.

You didn't plan on spinning around at high speed about once then flipping over?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

You didn't plan on spinning around at high speed about once then flipping over?

Not really. I was spinning a bicycle wheel during this escapade.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

I don't know if it is a joke, but if it is, probably in relation to the fact that giant planes like a 747 have a glide slope similar to a brick falling off a roof. An airfoil doesn't matter so much as the engines brute force the plane into the air.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if it is a joke, but if it is, probably in relation to the fact that giant planes like a 747 have a glide slope similar to a brick falling off a roof. An airfoil doesn't matter so much as the engines brute force the plane into the air.

I think you'll find the 747 glide slope as graceful as a sail plane compared to the Shuttle. Have you seen pics of the Gulfstream training aircraft for training shuttle landing approaches?

LOL:

The Shuttle is worse than anything else at atmospheric flying.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TotalLossBrain posted:

The Shuttle is worse than anything else at atmospheric flying.

Including the F-105?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cojawfee posted:

A 747 has a better glide ratio than a Cessna 172. Most airliners have large, efficient wings which lets them glide pretty well.

Quick googling: C172 (light piston single airplane): 9:1. It'll go 9 units forward for every 1 unit down.
For the big guys:
747-200: 15:1
767: 12:1
777: 19:1
A320: 17:1
Regional jets are about 10:1, Twin turboprops are about 12:1, Bizjets are also around 10:1.
Fighters are like bricks. 6:1 for the F-16, 6.5:1 for the F-15, and 5.4 for the F-18.
Yeah, the Shuttle is like 1:1 until it flares, then it's only 4:1. It's falling out of the sky.

Note that many helicopters autorotate at about 4:1. That's a pretty steep descent, but very controllable stop.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 1, 2017

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Colostomy Bag posted:

Including the F-105?

It's even worse than the F-104, which is just an engine with small control fins attached. That thing has a glide ratio of ~5 clean, and ~3 with the gear and flaps down. It used engine bleed air in normal landings to make its glide ratio much better (blown flaps).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It's even worse than the F-104, which is just an engine with small control fins attached. That thing has a glide ratio of ~5 clean, and ~3 with the gear and flaps down. It used engine bleed air in normal landings to make its glide ratio much better (blown flaps).

If only Ford placed ceramic tiles on the Pinto.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Shuttle is basically mathematical model. The 104 and the 105 were throwing darts at the wall (And and the lawn.) So was the B-58.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
And Shuttle was originally going to glide even worse than that, but the USAF had plans that required bigger wings.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

The "faster / slower air" thing is a misunderstanding of how a plane (flat object, not an airplane) interacts with a fluid it is moving through. It's easier (and truer) to think of objects as "collecting" particles that they're pushing through - if the object collects more particles on one side than the other, it creates a pressure differential in the fluid. The amount of pressure differential between the two sides of the object dictates how much force is trying to move the object towards the lower pressure.

This visualization explains lift, downforce, drag, drafting, etc - think of a splitter on the front of a car collecting air on top of it. It shovels up air that wants to escape under the car, which creates pressure that wants to push the splitter down (downforce!), and also to push the car backwards (drag!), and also reduces the air that can escape under the car, which increases the pressure differential between the top of the car and the underside (downforce!).

A spoiler creates a disturbance in the airflow so that the car doesn't just push particles up and out of the way, but also scatters them around behind it, which means that more particles end up behind the car than without a spoiler, which means that there is more pressure behind the car than would otherwise be there, which means that there is less of a pressure differential between the front (collecting lots of particles) and the back (in some cases nearly devoid of particles without a spoiler), which reduces drag.

Good times, right?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Spoilers reduce drag they dont add it, an airfoil does i cant think of many that work that way on a car outside of f1 though.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Shame on everybody for forcing me to post a jalopnik article i hope you are happy.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/wings-spoilers-youre-probably-doing-it-wrong-1665312667

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Colostomy Bag posted:

If only Ford placed ceramic tiles on the Pinto.

Did somebody mention flying Pintos?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

Isn’t that the one that was going to be used in The Man with the Golden Gun but then the creator died in a crash so they used a model?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The important thing to consider is that we are changing the direction and pressure of the air and that creates force. Both things are happening at the same time, so I don't think you can say "no, it's not the bernouille effect," because there is a pressure difference and that pressure difference exerts a force.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 2, 2017

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cojawfee posted:

That's not poo poo compared to the force required to keep you upright.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

DogonCrook posted:

Spoilers reduce drag they dont add it, an airfoil does i cant think of many that work that way on a car outside of f1 though.

That's what I said, yeah. More pressure behind the car because of spoiled air reduces the front>rear pressure differential and therefore reduces drag.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

A 747 has a better glide ratio than a Cessna 172. Most airliners have large, efficient wings which lets them glide pretty well.

Quick googling: C172 (light piston single airplane): 9:1. It'll go 9 units forward for every 1 unit down.
For the big guys:
747-200: 15:1
767: 12:1
777: 19:1
A320: 17:1
Regional jets are about 10:1, Twin turboprops are about 12:1, Bizjets are also around 10:1.
Fighters are like bricks. 6:1 for the F-16, 6.5:1 for the F-15, and 5.4 for the F-18.
Yeah, the Shuttle is like 1:1 until it flares, then it's only 4:1. It's falling out of the sky.

Note that many helicopters autorotate at about 4:1. That's a pretty steep descent, but very controllable stop.

Yeah, this.

I don't know where the stories about awful glide slopes for heavies comes from. They make their money by being efficient over long distances, which means low drag airfoils, which directly means better glide ratios.

Now with full flaps and the gear down they're probably closer to steinway:1...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t that the one that was going to be used in The Man with the Golden Gun but then the creator died in a crash so they used a model?

It was a model in the movie, but it was an AMC Matador. Most likely inspired by that one, though, since I think that Pinto was the only actual flying car at the time.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

charliemonster42 posted:

Now with full flaps and the gear down they're probably closer to steinway:1...
Especially if they fly for Careless Air.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

nmfree posted:

Especially if they fly for Careless Air.

That's why I keep a piano on my car, to prevent others from falling on it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Darchangel posted:

It was a model in the movie, but it was an AMC Matador. Most likely inspired by that one, though, since I think that Pinto was the only actual flying car at the time.

The directors commentary on that movie says they were going to use a real one, but it ended up crashes shortly before they needed it for filming.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

HandlingByJebus posted:

That's what I said, yeah. More pressure behind the car because of spoiled air reduces the front>rear pressure differential and therefore reduces drag.

But what if the car is on a treadmill moving the exact same speed as the wheels?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PainterofCrap posted:

Ahem

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Meh......

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Ah, the USMC's new air superioriCAS stealth nuclear fightersub.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't see what's oh

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jesus, how long did it run like that?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well it's out of a big truck (Volvo D16), so probably awhile.

Hearsay
Mar 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tinypic doesn't seem to support SSL, so you'll have to rehost that elsewhere

E: