Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

H2SO4 posted:

God, those Ford GT style rear light swaps are the ugliest thing i've seen on cars in a while. I do see a lot of people trying to get the euro style white/clear tails and those look pretty sweet, but not $1200 sweet. Especially since they don't have the sequencer and I believe the outside blade is extra bright.
Agreed. The white on a white Stang looks awesome, but those gt swaps are horribad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'd love to have the 50th taillights with the touch of chrome, but not for what they cost

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Q_res posted:

I'd love to have the 50th taillights with the touch of chrome, but not for what they cost
My friend with the 50th anniversary car is very fond of pointing out the quarter panel louvers aren't available at all from Ford without a 50th VIN.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man that is really dope.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

ilkhan posted:

My friend with the 50th anniversary car is very fond of pointing out the quarter panel louvers aren't available at all from Ford without a 50th VIN.

Uhhh what do you mean VIN? Are you talking about the plastic stick thing you put over the windows behind the door? if they all have the same 50th VIN wouldnt it make it harder to
determine if something was stolen or not?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I haven't seen one good aftermarket tail light for the new edges. There are sets made to resemble s550 and 11+ s197 lights and they are both terrible.

kalvick posted:

Uhhh what do you mean VIN? Are you talking about the plastic stick thing you put over the windows behind the door? if they all have the same 50th VIN wouldnt it make it harder to
determine if something was stolen or not?
I think he means to order the louvers you have to give your VIN to ford, and if it isnt a 50th they won't sell you it.

Also 2004 = 40th anniversary, 2015 = 50th anniversary? :confused:

edit: it has been 3 years and Im just now noticing how low the reverse light is on the 2015+ models. weird!

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 18, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Another weird thing I just came across: hard tops for convertible new edges.

:chloe:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

I haven't seen one good aftermarket tail light for the new edges. There are sets made to resemble s550 and 11+ s197 lights and they are both terrible.

I think he means to order the louvers you have to give your VIN to ford, and if it isnt a 50th they won't sell you it.

edit: it has been 3 years and Im just now noticing how low the reverse light is on the 2015+ models.

That makes a lot more sense, but I cant believe Ford wont sell you a sh**y piece of plastic because vins dont match?
It probably means its just hard to get items, like a real Bullitt gas cap, or Cobra side skirts, and things like that. Also I don't understand why you would want to 100% cover up your windows with plastic side scoops.

As for the lower diffuser / lower reverse light, I think that looks cool AF. I love any kind of F1 tech (even though in this case its all non functional)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
From what I can tell its less "louvers" and more "one line going down the middle"

Click for big.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 18, 2017

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

From what I can tell its less "louvers" and more "two lines going down the middle"

http://imgur.com/A7uR7eo
http://imgur.com/HnNLr2j

HUGE images so linking.

OK I take it back, I would rock that if I had a 50th model! I didnt know it was glass. I was just thinking it was a plastic cover.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cage posted:

Correct. Ford is really pissy about keeping those exclusive.

And yeah, glass/layered whatever you want to call it. The 50th edition cars are the only ones who have or can get them.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 18, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man I actually really like those too. They're just subtle enough to look good.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No ebay knock offs?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kalvick posted:

The other problem with all newedges and some sn95 models, is that they are in those teenage years, where they not exactly brand new and awesome, but they are not exactly classic/collectibles yet.
Thats why I think a lot of Mustangs just don't age well.

I think for a car to stand the test of time, they have to be painted in colors that represent the model.

If you want an investment, try index funds. If you want a machine for driving around in that depreciates over time and use, buy a car. A car built in Mustang volumes is a poor choice as an investment.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm pretty sure he was just talking about its staying power as a cool likable thing, not liquidating assets to buy Ford Mustangs in bulk.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rolo posted:

liquidating assets to buy Ford Mustangs in bulk.

This seems like a cool and good idea.

Maybe I'll start a demolition derby!

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
ok, i am 99.99% sure you can get the glass windows wether or not you actually own a 2015 50th anniversary mustang.
I went through the entire process of buying them and skipped the vin number and was able to check out and did everything except put in my credit card.
The glass is made by Magna International and I can fully guess that over time, this glass will get more and more expensive to replace.

If you have a '15 model, this defintely looks like something you should buy now, because they only made 1965 units so there would only be a handful of spares.

$2500 bucks for glass!!! JEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!

kalvick fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 19, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Sure I'll get right on that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

I guess you could joke about those averaging out to 1964.5 as a starting year, but in reality all "'64.5" cars are actually "early '65" in that they were VIN'd as MY1965 that happened to come out in late 1964. Dunno why they were a year off in '04.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Raluek posted:

I guess you could joke about those averaging out to 1964.5 as a starting year, but in reality all "'64.5" cars are actually "early '65" in that they were VIN'd as MY1965 that happened to come out in late 1964. Dunno why they were a year off in '04.
99 was 35th, and 2009 I'm pretty sure had a 45th so still doesn't add up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

99 was 35th, and 2009 I'm pretty sure had a 45th so still doesn't add up.

Weird. The only thing '64-ish about the early cars was that they came out the fall before, just like all cars do. Well, they are the ones who made the things, so they'd know, I guess

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Usually 64.5 is used as a way to distinguish the cars with generators instead of alternators and 260s instead of 289s.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Q_res posted:

Usually 64.5 is used as a way to distinguish the cars with generators instead of alternators and 260s instead of 289s.

Sure, but they're still MY1965. I call 'em "early '65" and "late '65" to stay sane. Supposedly the edge of the hood is crimped differently too, or something? Anyway, point being, 40 years later than a car made in late '64 with a '65 VIN would be an '05 made at the normal time :shrug:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
drat I was looking at a 50 anny one if I knew I could sell the windows for $3,000 I would have bought it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Driving around Allegheny state park.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Cage posted:

Driving around Allegheny state park.
dark shadow gray is my favorite color, they had a DSG 2003 mustang cobra at a local dealership near me with 40,000 miles on it and I wanted it so bad.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I miss the black sometimes but not in regards to keeping it clean. You know how many miles are on your mach engine? I've heard that they're not as reliable as the 2v motors the closer you get to 100k.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Cage posted:

I miss the black sometimes but not in regards to keeping it clean. You know how many miles are on your mach engine? I've heard that they're not as reliable as the 2v motors the closer you get to 100k.

The guy I bought it from said he got it from an older man who barely drove it and it only had something like 32,000 miles on it when he was t-boned and totaled the car. I don't know anything about them being less reliable though.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I got this weird looking thing in the mail today:

I have Monday off so I'll probably see if I can slap it in then.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

That looks like a fun funny looking thing.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

My rear tires are dead after 16k miles. I really didn't think I abused them that much but whatever.

What's the recommended tire for the s550 performance pack wheels? Michelin Pilot Super Sports? I'm in Dallas where we occasionally have one day of winter a year, so I'm fine sticking with summer tires.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

PSS or their new replacement, P4S (iirc)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

:argh::argh::argh::argh:

Ran over a paint can or something on my way home. Got 99% of it off. The rest should come off next car wash. What a pain though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Bandire posted:

My rear tires are dead after 16k miles. I really didn't think I abused them that much but whatever.

What's the recommended tire for the s550 performance pack wheels? Michelin Pilot Super Sports? I'm in Dallas where we occasionally have one day of winter a year, so I'm fine sticking with summer tires.

The ecoboost one I got needed 4 at 16k miles. I think they are just garbage for miles even driving them like a grandma.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bandire posted:

Based on Consumer Reports ratings, I got the Pilot Super Sports (and 18" BBS CS5 wheels) for my 2012 V6 and they've been excellent in Florida, where I've never driven them below freezing.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I run super sports on my car. They are good till about 45 degrees, really good in wet conditions also.

Can't speak for their wear as I only have maybe 6k on them right now. Seems like they should be good for another 10 though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Buhbuhj posted:

I run super sports on my car. They are good till about 45 degrees, really good in wet conditions also.

Can't speak for their wear as I only have maybe 6k on them right now. Seems like they should be good for another 10 though.

I'm past 2 years and 21k miles on mine, should probably check the tread depth on them.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The stock pirellis that came on my PP GT are about 3/4 cooked at 10,500 miles. Figure Ill wind up replacing them next spring at around 14-15k

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My wife rolled her eyes at me when I told her I paid extra to make the car extra bouncy. Really I just wanted the gauges. I have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I am close to shipping my pony to Europe, but I need the EPA/Emissions sticker.

I can't find one for 2004 GT 4.6. I can find other years but not mine? Can I use any sticker for a 4.6?

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 3, 2017