Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So has anyone played Songbringer? It looks pretty interesting and most of the reviews seem pretty positive, but I'm wondering if there's an actual story or progression, or if it's just go through a random dungeon and rinse/repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

discworld is all I read posted:

So has anyone played Songbringer? It looks pretty interesting and most of the reviews seem pretty positive, but I'm wondering if there's an actual story or progression, or if it's just go through a random dungeon and rinse/repeat.

It looks interesting. Giantbomb will have a quicklook of it on Monday. I'm waiting until that goes up before I make a choice.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Man, Abzu is truly fantastic. Definitely play it in one sitting if at all possible, which shouldn't be too hard as it's only about three hours long.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Observer is amazing, if you have the slightest interest in noir or cyberpunk you need to play it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

sebmojo posted:

Observer is amazing, if you have the slightest interest in noir or cyberpunk you need to play it.

How bad is the body horror?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Any thoughts on Card City Nights 2?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I've been playing Everybody's Golf on PS4, and it's really making me miss a similar game on PC.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zathril posted:

Any thoughts on Card City Nights 2?

"Man does it make me sad that Ludosity is only doing sequels right now (anymore?), even though I can't think of a bad game from them"?

(honestly I didn't even know this existed before you mentioned it)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's out? Neato!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I didn't know that PUBG's in-game item market already reached CS:GO levels: http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/578080/PLAYERUNKNOWN%27s%20Bandana

Ok, it's not up there yet but it's getting close.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That bandana is part of a set that originated before they added loot crates. I think it was some kind of special release like a kickstarter or something, because that, the trenchcoat, and I think the pants that go with it have always been stupidly expensive.

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/578080/PLAYERUNKNOWN%20SET this thing, and I think the third item is red shoes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Morter posted:

How bad is the body horror?

I'm halfway - so far there are a lot of dead bodies, and some realistic cyborgs - moderate, I'd say.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

sebmojo posted:

I'm halfway - so far there are a lot of dead bodies, and some realistic cyborgs - moderate, I'd say.

Corpses and cyborgs are okay but I mean are there like, bloody disfigurements?

I'm basically asking if this is Quake 4. :ohdear:

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

That bandana is part of a set that originated before they added loot crates. I think it was some kind of special release like a kickstarter or something, because that, the trenchcoat, and I think the pants that go with it have always been stupidly expensive.

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/578080/PLAYERUNKNOWN%20SET this thing, and I think the third item is red shoes.

quote:

meesso created a buy order for 0,06€
i like his optimism.

also impressive that there's one of this set sold every day

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Palpek posted:

I didn't know that PUBG's in-game item market already reached CS:GO levels: http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/578080/PLAYERUNKNOWN%27s%20Bandana

Ok, it's not up there yet but it's getting close.

I randomly decided to open one pay crate and pulled an item that's going for 500-600.

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to turn that into real money. It's crazy to me this outfit is worth a 1080ti.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hackan Slash posted:

I randomly decided to open one pay crate and pulled an item that's going for 500-600.

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to turn that into real money. It's crazy to me this outfit is worth a 1080ti.

Which crate did you open?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hackan Slash posted:

Sell it on the steam marketplace and buy yourself a Vive.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Ragequit posted:

Which crate did you open?

I had been saving gamescom crates to sell hoping the prices would increase now that they're discontinued. I got curious yesterday and opened one and it had the female ivory school outfit box.

The price of free crate and free crate items has been plummeting due to farmers and supply only increasing. I can't wait for the seven days to be up so I can cash out.

Edit:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Sell it on the steam marketplace and buy yourself a Vive.

I already have a rift though!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hackan Slash posted:

Fair enough, grab 50 copies of GORN instead.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Did something change with the Family Sharing feature recently? My wife is playing Fallout: New Vegas, and I just started playing Binding of Isaac. Now she's getting the notice that she has 5 minutes to sign out as I need the game back. I can't imagine this is the first time either one of us is playing at the same time for the number of hours we both have on both games. I can't even sign into offline mode without her getting that message.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

How about another review out of the blue? A kind goon dropped simian.interface++ on me yesterday, and I blasted through it late last night. It's not much more than 30 minutes to get through but for as neat and polished as it is, $2 isn't much to ask for that either.

Every once in awhile I'll land on a game that blows me away with how much it can do with a simple concept, and today is one of those days. Games like this start out with a gameplay loop that, on its own, should be no more captivating than tiddlywinks but build up something far more worthwhile around it. And it's not a long and engrossing experience that I've just surfaced from, but working through the simple, unique puzzles for the mysterious payoff made simian.interface++ a better gaming experience than many longer or larger titles out there.

The name is actually spot-on this time, as the game is posed as a graphic user interface for monkeys. You play a test subject working through trials of the system, simply following the implied instructions for a curved and yellow reward you know too well. Puzzles come in batches of 10 or so, bookended by login screens and performance readouts. I doubt I need to worry about spoilers here but things start to happen as you work through the game that hint at a larger plot afoot.

Don't come for what little story there is, but rather the experience of seeing it told. While not much happens plot-wise the feel of how it unfolds has a definite charm, situated right between sinister cyberpunk and silly cat pictures. I found myself speeding through the puzzles just to see how ridiculous the next glitchy reveal would be, and I was not disappointed. The presentation helps sell the technicolor madness, particularly the soundtrack which is some incredibly catchy techno that takes loads of inspiration from old NES chiptunes.

I'm four paragraphs in and haven't even touched on the puzzles, which are clever permutations of an old gimmick. Each puzzle places a number of squares or lines or boxes on your screen, which you can move and/or rotate simply by moving your mouse. The goal is to snap them back into place, anything from getting a white square into a square outline to realigning a screenful of plaid. They're simple challenges made surprisingly engrossing by how much fine control you have over the figures. You'll also encounter a wide variety of shapes and patterns to make across the six tiny chapters of the game, and more still in the infinite, timed, and secret modes.

This is the total package in terms of kitschy puzzlers, but a small one at that. I saw everything the game had to offer, secret level included, in just over 30 minutes. The infinite and time attack modes could suck up some more of your time, of course, and I wouldn't be opposed to playing through it again once my memories of the two runs I just did (to unlock the secret mode) fade a bit more. With that caveat in mind, I can happily recommend simian.interface++ to anyone looking for a fresh new take on puzzlers. It's got charm, it's got challenge, and it's got the best kind of weirdness to puzzle through.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Too Shy Guy posted:

How about another review out of the blue? A kind goon dropped simian.interface++ on me yesterday, and I blasted through it late last night. It's not much more than 30 minutes to get through but for as neat and polished as it is, $2 isn't much to ask for that either.

:tipshat:

glad you enjoyed it!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Momodora: %everie Under the Moon&ight

6Z4Y2-FX6JI-&%J&B

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

IUG posted:

Did something change with the Family Sharing feature recently? My wife is playing Fallout: New Vegas, and I just started playing Binding of Isaac. Now she's getting the notice that she has 5 minutes to sign out as I need the game back. I can't imagine this is the first time either one of us is playing at the same time for the number of hours we both have on both games. I can't even sign into offline mode without her getting that message.

It has been like that from the very beginning. You may have been using offline mode previously while she used your library.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sininu posted:

It has been like that from the very beginning. You may have been using offline mode previously while she used your library.

She must have been playing a game that existed in her inventory then. But for some reason when I set myself as offline, she still gets the message for the 5 minute timer.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Has anyone played conquest of elysium 4? Its on sale and looks pretty fun, I love exploring and rng poo poo

Hackan Slash posted:

I had been saving gamescom crates to sell hoping the prices would increase now that they're discontinued. I got curious yesterday and opened one and it had the female ivory school outfit box.

The price of free crate and free crate items has been plummeting due to farmers and supply only increasing. I can't wait for the seven days to be up so I can cash out.

Edit:

Hello fellow lucker dog! I opened the black skirt 2 weeks ago, sold around an all time low after waiting for a week and walked away with something like $120. I have no regrets. My friend is kicking himself for not selling his white skirt for $400 like I kept yelling at him to do a week ago, its at ~$300 now.

Do yourself a favor and sell that poo poo on the steam market and buy whatever games you want for a couple years. Good luck trying to get real $ out of it though without getting scammed. I'd list it at $450+ without hesitation
http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/578080/IVORY%20SCHOOL%20UNIFORM%20SET%20%28FEMALE%29

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

IUG posted:

She must have been playing a game that existed in her inventory then. But for some reason when I set myself as offline, she still gets the message for the 5 minute timer.

Has she tried setting herself as offline instead?

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Sininu posted:

I tried to play through Dead Space but it just runs so bad for some reason. I seemingly get perfect 60 fps and Afterburner's frame time graph looks good as well, but I still get awful stutters all the time. Tried adjusting pre-rendered frames up and down, turning off v-sync outside of the game (ingame v-sync is borked to the max) but they didn't help.
Ended up uninstalling it. :(

It's been ages since I've played the first Dead Space, but I remember that issue and I could swear it was the other way around. You need to control V-Sync outside of the game and turn off in-game V-Sync. That's what kills it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This looks neat: X-Morph: Defense

https://i.imgur.com/OHF3cxy.gifv

Apparently it's from the creators of Zombie Driver which was pretty cool. Anybody played it?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Has anyone played conquest of elysium 4? Its on sale and looks pretty fun, I love exploring and rng poo poo

I did, though keeping in mind I'm not an expert at all and have no idea what kind of mega-crazy things you can do.

Started as the Senate faction since they seemed pretty straightforward. Basically you play randomly generated maps selected from different Ages (dark, agricultural, empire, etc) which have different effects on like terrain features, amounts of independent enemies and so on. Combat has no actual input beyond the makeup of your army, so basically you recruit a bunch of guys and send them out with a commander unit, who you can equip with gear you find and have them learn spells if you manage to find any magic libraries anywhere. Units gain experience and stats over time, but they also can rack up a bunch of permanent debuffs so really there's no point in getting attached to your hordes of spearmen.

I was doing pretty well up until the Burgmeister AI I was playing against harvested enough gems to quietly recruit an army of clockwork golems, scorpions, giant ants and dragons, who then basically stomped my legion of sun-worshipping centurions since javelins don't do much against an army of steel goons. After that I consolidated everything, found and conquered the city of Elysium, had my senator coronated, married a sorceress, and then ascended both of them to godhood before finally chipping back at the hordes of clockwork soldiers.

So yeah it's kinda neat and unconventional, next time I'll try and see what the weirder factions do.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

IUG posted:

Are you in actual offline mode or in appear offline mode that is for community stuff. Appear offline still has all the online functionality, you just don't appear online to people. You can even chat with people in that mode if you open the chat window first.

Majin posted:

It's been ages since I've played the first Dead Space, but I remember that issue and I could swear it was the other way around. You need to control V-Sync outside of the game and turn off in-game V-Sync. That's what kills it.

Yeah, I messed up with my post. I did use external V-sync.

Sininu posted:

I was maybe confusing with order of things. I was acknowledging in the parenthesis that the ingame V-sync was broken just in case someone asks why I don't use that one.

il_cornuto posted:

Has she tried setting herself as offline instead?

Can't access libraries of others while offline.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 2, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Sininu posted:

Oh, I didn't realise that. Makes sense though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Conquest of Elysium 4 is singleplayer roguelike Dominions 4. Each faction plays totally differently, totally different mechanics. You've got your more traditional human factions like the Senate or the Baron, who conscript troops annually to fight for them and occasionally receive gifts from other nations or lords in the form of exotic troops, you've got magical factions like the Necromancer who starts off by himself raising the dead, and then you've got to create liches or become a lich to command your brainless undead forces, or the Voice of El who is a crazy person who spreads the truth about this god, receives a tithe to the church and is trying to break the seals which bind the god El (eventually releasing El which is a really bad thing to do to the world) and call inquisitions and crusades on enemy nations, and these are just your more normal factions.

Skim through these, see if any of them interest you. The pace and rhythm of each game is drastically different depending on which faction you choose.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sininu posted:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Palpek posted:

This looks neat: X-Morph: Defense

https://i.imgur.com/OHF3cxy.gifv

Apparently it's from the creators of Zombie Driver which was pretty cool. Anybody played it?

I'm about halfway through it. It's awesome! Highly polished all around. A must-play for any TD fan looking for something a bit different from the usual fare.

All of the buildings are destructible, and it's not just a PhysX buzzword.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 2, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Thompsons posted:

I did, though keeping in mind I'm not an expert at all and have no idea what kind of mega-crazy things you can do.

Started as the Senate faction since they seemed pretty straightforward. Basically you play randomly generated maps selected from different Ages (dark, agricultural, empire, etc) which have different effects on like terrain features, amounts of independent enemies and so on. Combat has no actual input beyond the makeup of your army, so basically you recruit a bunch of guys and send them out with a commander unit, who you can equip with gear you find and have them learn spells if you manage to find any magic libraries anywhere. Units gain experience and stats over time, but they also can rack up a bunch of permanent debuffs so really there's no point in getting attached to your hordes of spearmen.

I was doing pretty well up until the Burgmeister AI I was playing against harvested enough gems to quietly recruit an army of clockwork golems, scorpions, giant ants and dragons, who then basically stomped my legion of sun-worshipping centurions since javelins don't do much against an army of steel goons. After that I consolidated everything, found and conquered the city of Elysium, had my senator coronated, married a sorceress, and then ascended both of them to godhood before finally chipping back at the hordes of clockwork soldiers.

So yeah it's kinda neat and unconventional, next time I'll try and see what the weirder factions do.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Conquest of Elysium 4 is singleplayer roguelike Dominions 4. Each faction plays totally differently, totally different mechanics. You've got your more traditional human factions like the Senate or the Baron, who conscript troops annually to fight for them and occasionally receive gifts from other nations or lords in the form of exotic troops, you've got magical factions like the Necromancer who starts off by himself raising the dead, and then you've got to create liches or become a lich to command your brainless undead forces, or the Voice of El who is a crazy person who spreads the truth about this god, receives a tithe to the church and is trying to break the seals which bind the god El (eventually releasing El which is a really bad thing to do to the world) and call inquisitions and crusades on enemy nations, and these are just your more normal factions.

Skim through these, see if any of them interest you. The pace and rhythm of each game is drastically different depending on which faction you choose.

Sweet thats enough for me to give it a try! Thanks both of you

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Blattdorf posted:

I'm about halfway through it. It's awesome! Highly polished all around. A must-play for any TD fan looking for something a bit different from the usual fare.

All of the buildings are destructible, and it's not just a PhysX buzzword.

How is the weapon and upgrade variety relative to something like Tyrian 2000? How is the tower variety relative to something like....whatever a good tower defense example is?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sininu posted:

Are you in actual offline mode or in appear offline mode that is for community stuff. Appear offline still has all the online functionality, you just don't appear online to people. You can even chat with people in that mode if you open the chat window first.

This is what it turned out to be, thanks!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

DatonKallandor posted:

How is the weapon and upgrade variety relative to something like Tyrian 2000? How is the tower variety relative to something like....whatever a good tower defense example is?

It seems somewhat sparse at first blush, but there's a lot going on in each level and you also control the ship. Although you have time between waves to set up your defenses, during the wave you can collect scrap to gain more resource points which you can then spend on additional towers. You can upgrade and downgrade towers without breaking the fences between the towers, so sometimes you'll feel like switching the anti-air into heavy anti-ground towers, for example. Or maybe relocate towers to a more suitable position. There's a lot of strategy involved and on-the-fly thinking with how to manage your defenses.

I don't want to spoil everything that happens in the game. Suffice it to say it has enough variety to keep you occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Playing Slime-San. Game is good and also a kick in the balls