Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can't scrub items during the splatfest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Decepticons proved they are, indeed, superior to Autobots :awesomelon:.

I think like ten of them were food-themed.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Phone posted:

You can't scrub items during the splatfest?

He's out in the middle of the square watching the concert

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Shifty station is good.

And are the teams evenly matched this time? Have yet to play Flight vs Flight in 45 minutes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mahoning posted:

He's out in the middle of the square watching the concert

Yup, look for the squat height little piece of snail-eating poo poo ankle biting rear end in a top hat lol I can't keep this up, Murch is awesome.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
God drat it, I find a team of high level players to carry me to king, but then I disconnect. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enojy posted:

Yup, look for the squat height little piece of snail-eating poo poo ankle biting rear end in a top hat lol I can't keep this up, Murch is awesome.

He's also not eating sea-snails, he's explicitly stated that he's pushing them onto Spyke to feed Spyke's addiction.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

WHY BONER NOW posted:

God drat it, I find a team of high level players to carry me to king, but then I disconnect. :(

Doesn't it's change every round with new players?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

Doesn't it's change every round with new players?

Your team stays the same (presuming they vote to continue), it only rotates the opposition.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So uhh...what's the deal with Splatfest matchmaking? I went like 1-7 in my placement matches, got ranked at 1650, and have lost every game since getting my rank. Enemy team consistently has people rank 30+ on their team with full sets of bonus gear, meanwhile I'm level 10. I was having a blast with this game up until now because this doesn't exactly seem particularly fair

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Shifty station is good.

And are the teams evenly matched this time? Have yet to play Flight vs Flight in 45 minutes.

I played Invisibility vs Invisibility once already.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Shoulda been
Shifty Shellshock
Humpback Whatsit
Original Arrowana Mall

So we could have the trifecta of poo poo maps.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Almost every match I've had so far either had at least one person drop out, a communication error at some point, or both, with half my shots flying through the loving enemy and them swimming right the gently caress through my color ink like it ain't no thing. gently caress is this poo poo.

dog nougat posted:

Shifty station sure is different this time around.

It doesn't even shift this time, what the gently caress. I liked it better last time.

Saint Freak posted:

Shoulda been
Shifty Shellshock
Humpback Whatsit
Original Arrowana Mall

So we could have the trifecta of poo poo maps.

How can you talk about poo poo maps and not include Moray Towers, the god-king of poo poo maps

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The new Shifty Station is awful. The narrow corridors and raised platforms in the middle means that whoever gets there first can just consistently lock the other side out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Why hasn't Marina been fired for her crimes against Inkling society? Holy moly this stage is awful.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So uhh...what's the deal with Splatfest matchmaking? I went like 1-7 in my placement matches, got ranked at 1650, and have lost every game since getting my rank. Enemy team consistently has people rank 30+ on their team with full sets of bonus gear, meanwhile I'm level 10. I was having a blast with this game up until now because this doesn't exactly seem particularly fair

30 points is a pretty minor difference. If you're ranking at the same ELO as them despite them having some gear, you're generally doing pretty good.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The new Shifty Station is awful. The narrow corridors and raised platforms in the middle means that whoever gets there first can just consistently lock the other side out.

Narrow corridors? Are we playing the same map? That stage is wide open as it gets.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Gimbal lock posted:

30 points is a pretty minor difference. If you're ranking at the same ELO as them despite them having some gear, you're generally doing pretty good.

Oh, no, I mean they're like, experience level 30+, compared to my level 10. So in a lot of instances even if I can manage to keep up skill-wise, they could have objectively better weapons than my entire team. Up until now things seemed totally normal but I legitimately don't want to play Splatfest anymore because all my games are me and my low-level team getting shitstomped by people who are leagues better than us

send help

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 2, 2017

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Playing tonight makes me expect flight to win popularity but lose the other two categories.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

No, I mean like..they're level 30+. As in

Oh, no, I mean they're like, experience level 30+, compared to my level 10. So in a lot of instances even if I can manage to keep up skill-wise, they could have objectively better weapons than my entire team. Up until now things seemed totally normal but I legitimately don't want to play Splatfest anymore because all my games are me and my low-level team getting shitstomped by people who are leagues better than us

send help

I got that too initially (I'm lv25, was matched against lv50s) I went and played some salmon run for a bit and came back. It might just be that most of the higher levels are playing now, while more players are trickling in. Maybe just exit the lobby a few times if you keep getting them?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
That's true, it's getting late so most of the tryhards are out. Play at some earlier time tomorrow and you'll get a better experience.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

send help

Eh, you did fine (not great, not lovely,) I say just keep at it! There's nothing at stakes, just have fun, and try to be conscious of things you do wrong and could improve. Try different weapons if need be. If you're new to Splatoon, level 10-20 is where you really start to get your bearings with the game, as well as an intricate learning of all of the maps.

Level isn't such a huge indicator in this game, since for all you know, that level 1 may have been a max level S+ Splatoon 1 player who just bought Splatoon 2. However, in your case, they got disconnected, which tends to throw matches (0s across the board either indicates a disconnection mid-match or a supreme poo poo player, but very often the former.) Don't let level get in your head too much.

An emergency tip for Turf War exclusively, if you feel like you're struggling in firefights -- wait until the last 45 seconds or so, and sneak your way over to the enemy's side of the map and gently caress it all up with ink. It works all the time (not every time, but...)

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

Narrow corridors? Are we playing the same map? That stage is wide open as it gets.

Yeaaah, no. Once the middle section raises up, along with the tall dividing walls, it's all narrow corridors with raised areas overlooking them for sniping fun. Even just taking one of the middle rises means you can hold an entire side the map yourself with a good ink-shooter (and oh look; they released a new Splattershot Pro that everyone's gonna be itching to try just in time...).

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Operation Cockbag:

Head - Bomb defense up main w/ 2x sub bomb defense up
Fest tee whatever
Feet - Swim Speed up pure

Weapon - Stupid gold aerospray thing

Run around the map and just ink everything, when challenged run away or pop super monkey ball and blow up on people preoccupied with fighting.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 2, 2017

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Aaaaaargh I just wiped an entire team by myself in honorable combat, only to die to the last one. 20 seconds on the clock. And yet my team can't capitalize on that and we lose. loving hell.

I mean yeah, up until that point I had been playing like garbage but my one redeeming moment means it was entirely my teams fault

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Every single match I've been in had a loving Inkjet user in it. It got so ridiculous to the point where it actually turned into Inkjet dogfights at certain points.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Splatoon is a lot of fun and a good game. That said, the decision to allow the enemy to see where you're landing if you launch from spawn is an all-time obnoxious game design choice.

I know you can hide it with the right upgrade, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Splatoon is a lot of fun and a good game. That said, the decision to allow the enemy to see where you're landing if you launch from spawn is an all-time obnoxious game design choice.

I know you can hide it with the right upgrade, but that shouldn't be necessary.

The entire point of that is so people can't just endlessly jump from spawn right into battle. If that wasn't in the game people would always super jump because there would be zero risk associated with it. Plus you'd probably get the jump on enemies that just splatted your team which would make it hard for either team to really build momentum.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Jeez, I wish inkjet had a little bit more startup lag before you could fire after popping it. I just had a bunch of games where some dude popped inkjet and oneshot me in the face right before they even left the ground. :(

Edit: I guess it was lag, playing with inkjet in the firing range doesn't let you fire until you've lifted off, so wtf.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
People who say there's nothing at stake in Splatfest and it should be just for fun disgust me.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

The entire point of that is so people can't just endlessly jump from spawn right into battle. If that wasn't in the game people would always super jump because there would be zero risk associated with it. Plus you'd probably get the jump on enemies that just splatted your team which would make it hard for either team to really build momentum.

Yeah it's a good design decision. What sucks is when you super jump to a teammate and you're coming in hot, but they don't bother to defend you :mad:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeaaah, no. Once the middle section raises up, along with the tall dividing walls, it's all narrow corridors with raised areas overlooking them for sniping fun. Even just taking one of the middle rises means you can hold an entire side the map yourself with a good ink-shooter (and oh look; they released a new Splattershot Pro that everyone's gonna be itching to try just in time...).

during the two hours that I played tonight, nobody ever held half the map by being up on a tower.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I liked watching my ELO drop 100 points across two matches because we were equally matched team wise; however, with the caveat that my team just super jumped into a death pit for 3 minutes straight. Never gonna break 1900. :negative:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rexroom posted:

People who say there's nothing at stake in Splatfest and it should be just for fun disgust me.

Yeah, I take it more seriously than ranked. People that choose the less popular option just for a higher chance of winning are lame too. It's not about the shells.:argh:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lol after 2100 the game doesn't know how to match me anymore

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don't know how I managed to accomplish such a feat, but I lost against a team of 4 Aerosprays. :suicide: That should have been one of the easiest wins ever.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Good enough.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Went 19-14 for Invisibility, hope it's enough.
Also the why is invisible ink green, it should be invisible.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Goodness gracious, those bubbles are tanky. How much HP do they have!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The higher the score, the more people seem like they think they're too good for inking the spawn area. I just barely won a match because I spent the last 30 seconds in our spawn desperately trying to cover turf because we spent all of our time taking the center and keeping control.