Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JnnyThndrs posted:

At the bottom of that link, in little letters, there's a line 'file a claim'. Click on it and it will bring you to another page, in which there's a bunch of options and a couple of them say 'check if your number is eligible'. Enter it and it'll give you the thumbs-up or down.

Mine wasn't, but my elderly father's is, I'll try to get him a few bucks.

Bah, I'm not listed. :( I must have gotten one of those a day back in 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I haven't gotten any robot phone phone calls in over a week. Here's to jinxing myself!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've received a ton of these things ever since I abandoned my landline and began listing my primary contact number on my resume and applying for jobs with it. Seems to me we're going to need and entirely new "Do Not Call" registry, similar to the "unsubscribe" feature on span emails.

I don't get why telecoms can't make call blocking a basic feature of the service and the phone either.

Telemarketers aside, you think about things like stalkers, abusive spouses, crazy exes and other estranged parties and you'd think at this stage it'd be a built in feature rather than an app you had to install.

Semi related, since I started applying for new jobs online, I get at lest one call a week from some MLM shithead at Primerica (I think it is) who, for whatever reason, seem to think that my extensive background in offset printing, graphic design, sign making and Adobe Creative Suite would make me a loving GREAT insurance salesman.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I've received a ton of these things ever since I abandoned my landline and began listing my primary contact number on my resume and applying for jobs with it. Seems to me we're going to need and entirely new "Do Not Call" registry, similar to the "unsubscribe" feature on span emails.

I don't get why telecoms can't make call blocking a basic feature of the service and the phone either.

Telemarketers aside, you think about things like stalkers, abusive spouses, crazy exes and other estranged parties and you'd think at this stage it'd be a built in feature rather than an app you had to install.

Semi related, since I started applying for new jobs online, I get at lest one call a week from some MLM shithead at Primerica (I think it is) who, for whatever reason, seem to think that my extensive background in offset printing, graphic design, sign making and Adobe Creative Suite would make me a loving GREAT insurance salesman.

blocking doesn't help it's a different # each time

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

It's a loving arms race.

Why not extend the Do Not Call list to cell phones then? It was one of the few good things GWB actually accomplished.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

What really needs to happen is a complete rework of the caller ID system into something less trusting than 'this is my number' 'okay then'

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

caller ID in many countries other than USA is a usable service. shocking, right

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

What really needs to happen is a complete rework of the caller ID system into something less trusting than 'this is my number' 'okay then'

Sorry but they get paid too much to make it useless

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

BiggerBoat posted:

It's a loving arms race.

Why not extend the Do Not Call list to cell phones then? It was one of the few good things GWB actually accomplished.

Because it is already illegal to do cold calling to cell phones so they're technically opted in to a do not call list in a way.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

caller ID in many countries other than USA is a usable service. shocking, right

What do you mean "Usable as a service"? Most countries here in europe don't have Caller ID text stuff like you do, but numbers are still spoofable everywhere (Because it's a feature). Certain endpoints can still see the real number, but for dumb phones you gotta choose one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

Set it up so that when a blocked number calls they still get the ringing tones, so the caller can't tell if they're blocked or you're just not picking up.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

MANime in the sheets posted:

Those two things are exactly why it's not a viable alternative. Very restrictive data caps and high ping times. Between my roomate and I we ballpark that we use over 1 TB of data a month and are both gamers. For some sure, 4G can substitute for a land line, but to consider it a viable option for businesses or the populace as a whole is a joke. If the caps were totally removed and $50 a month gave you unlimited data without throttling (or 200GB or 500GB or whatever Comcast is doing now) that would be a different discussion - ping becomes the only real difference at that point.

My house's a bit out of the way and all I could get through land line was a 1MB connection that dropped every time it rained (talk about scams).

I switched to a WiMAX connection instead and it's so much better. 16MB, low ping, no data caps or issues. Of course you're not gonna get crazy speeds and you still need to have a WiMAX station nearby. But yeah, wireless internet can be decent, it doesn't all have to be lovely 4G or satellite internet with crazy ping.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 30, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Set it up so that when a blocked number calls they still get the ringing tones, so the caller can't tell if they're blocked or you're just not picking up.

How does it currently work? I always assumed that's what it does - endlessly ring

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My carrier doesn't support call blocking and just refers to the phone's blocking features, which auto-rejects calls from blocked numbers and makes them go direct to voice mail.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly I would pay a significant amount of money a month to have a phone where you had to white list numbers to be able to call you. I can't think of the last time I got a phone number out of the blue and it was a call I actually wanted. poo poo, even looking for jobs all my contacts were via email.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Does Google voice not take new number requests anymore? You can block and all they hear is the "this number has been disconnected" message, you can record if you want, forward calls to your main number, call overseas cheaply, text via Hangouts, etc. And it at least used to be a flat single $20 charge.

It's been a godsend for Craigslist and acquaintances and iffy work prospects etc. I recommend it for the scam averse

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Go to their website and sign up for their classes with names like gently caress YOU STOP CALLING ME. That's how I got them to leave me alone.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

cumshitter posted:

Go to their website and sign up for their classes with names like gently caress YOU STOP CALLING ME. That's how I got them to leave me alone.

I've wondered about the viability of this virtual "prepaid postage envelope full of rocks and pennies" approach.

But I'd guess modern PCs are harder to choke with stuff like huge.jpg attached as an "I printed this form out and scanned it for you!" trick, same for auto run office macros, and obviously sending legit malware puts you at too much risk of legal trouble.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I would pay a significant amount of money a month to have a phone where you had to white list numbers to be able to call you. I can't think of the last time I got a phone number out of the blue and it was a call I actually wanted. poo poo, even looking for jobs all my contacts were via email.

Maybe it's just because I've had the same phone number for 18-19 years now, but I absolutely get at least one or two random calls per year from people I haven't talked to in maybe a decade. I also get a fair number of phone calls about work from existing clients/employers giving my contact info to other people.

I maybe get two dozen spam calls a year, so hanging up on them isnt really a burden.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bongwizzard posted:

Maybe it's just because I've had the same phone number for 18-19 years now, but I absolutely get at least one or two random calls per year from people I haven't talked to in maybe a decade. I also get a fair number of phone calls about work from existing clients/employers giving my contact info to other people.

I maybe get two dozen spam calls a year, so hanging up on them isnt really a burden.

I get multiple a day. How the gently caress do these assholes choose targets? Median income level for that area code?

Actually, that would make a lot of sense.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think Mr. Number supports this. It's free.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I get multiple a day. How the gently caress do these assholes choose targets? Median income level for that area code?

Actually, that would make a lot of sense.

I have no idea. I don't know how they would figure out your income from a cell phone number, like I'm sure it's possible that seems like way more work then will be worth it if you're spamming Robo calls everywhere.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sweart gliwere posted:

I've wondered about the viability of this virtual "prepaid postage envelope full of rocks and pennies" approach.

But I'd guess modern PCs are harder to choke with stuff like huge.jpg attached as an "I printed this form out and scanned it for you!" trick, same for auto run office macros, and obviously sending legit malware puts you at too much risk of legal trouble.

I made the mistake of putting my resume on Monster.com some years back, and as a result received a ton of calls from various insurance places.

It worked perfectly fine. I think the induction seminars only had space for 5 people so filling a few of them with profanity laced messages telling them about my giant dick and lack of desire to sell insurance got me taken off their call list fairly quickly..

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

cumshitter posted:

I made the mistake of putting my resume on Monster.com some years back, and as a result received a ton of calls from various insurance places.

It worked perfectly fine. I think the induction seminars only had space for 5 people so filling a few of them with profanity laced messages telling them about my giant dick and lack of desire to sell insurance got me taken off their call list fairly quickly..

Working out class sizes for those things must be an interesting challenge. You need enough people to a) make it worthwhile and b) get a bit of groupthink going so some of the more gullible members bring the less gullible on the journey with them, but you don't want so many that one or two people who aren't falling for it then the rest off.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My guess is that it's random. Your idea might work but it would probably cost a lot more to do than just war-dialing every number that seems to be valid. It's cheap to set up an auto-dialer and buy VOIP accounts; it's more expensive to buy demographic data from vendors and then hire people with the skills to interpret it.

In my experience, it seems like the spam calls come and go: I can go weeks without getting any, then there are three days when I get them non-stop. I'm curious if this is a cat-and-mouse game between the spammers and telecom companies, where the telecoms figure out one way to stop or reduce the spam, and then the spammers eventually figure out a way around it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

My guess is that it's random. Your idea might work but it would probably cost a lot more to do than just war-dialing every number that seems to be valid. It's cheap to set up an auto-dialer and buy VOIP accounts; it's more expensive to buy demographic data from vendors and then hire people with the skills to interpret it.

In my experience, it seems like the spam calls come and go: I can go weeks without getting any, then there are three days when I get them non-stop. I'm curious if this is a cat-and-mouse game between the spammers and telecom companies, where the telecoms figure out one way to stop or reduce the spam, and then the spammers eventually figure out a way around it.

I got three of them that had the same area code and matched the first three digits of my number today, which is higher than I've seen. Like you, I see it waves for the most part. I'll have to pay attention and see if I get a wave of calls identified with "LIKELY SPAM" from T-Mobile. Those seem to come in waves as well, I just never thought to line up the occurrences to see how they line up or overlap.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've thought a lot about pretending to sign up for some of these MLM scams and doing an undercover documentary of sorts or writing a book. See how far I can penetrate it without going broke.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

BiggerBoat posted:

I've thought a lot about pretending to sign up for some of these MLM scams and doing an undercover documentary of sorts or writing a book. See how far I can penetrate it without going broke.

You might even end up as that one guy documentarying the Westboro Baptist Church but is now in charge.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cumshitter posted:

I've told off a few charities that keep calling me for money. I ask 'em to put me on their do not call list, they say they don't have one. Then I ask 'em to put me on their "told us to gently caress off" list. That's been pretty reliable.

KyleeBitkin
Jan 22, 2017

Around, and around, and around, and around...

mllaneza posted:

I've told off a few charities that keep calling me for money. I ask 'em to put me on their do not call list, they say they don't have one. Then I ask 'em to put me on their "told us to gently caress off" list. That's been pretty reliable.

I've heard that threatening legal action, whether that threat have weight to it or not, can scare away a few of these companies. Unfortunately, there really is not much you can do about the scummier scams.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

when i was like 18 years old, i was paranoid about something the government was doing so i donated $20 to an organization that was fighting it in court. they proceeded to spend more than $20 trying to get me to donate again. i know this because it was back when most mailings like that still had the physical stamp showing the amount of postage that was paid, and their elaborate mailings often cost $1.50 or more each. it made me feel like they didn't use any of my donation for an actual program :v:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I hate the "charities" that call, ask for a random common name, and then when told they have the wrong number, say "oh, well maybe you can help me..". They inevitably have hella generic names, usually involving veterans or firefighters.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
A few months back, I had some "charity" call me and thank me for contributing to their cause, and tell me I'm a valued donor. Of course, it was some charity I'd never heard of, and I never made any such donation. I told the guy so, and he said it was all a mistake and he could clear everything up with a few questions. I told him bluntly "I don't remember donating to your charity, you have the wrong number. Good day" and hung up.

Later on, I heard there are scammers who thank people for donating to a charity they never gave any money to, and when the victim tells them so, the scammer tells the victim it's all a mistake and has the victim give their credit card and personal info so they can have their donation credited back to them. Of course, it's all a ruse to get the victim's info. I wish I had kept the guy on the line and asked him questions like "what's my name" and "why do you need my information? Shouldn't you already have it?" just to see how he would respond.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when i was like 18 years old, i was paranoid about something the government was doing so i donated $20 to an organization that was fighting it in court. they proceeded to spend more than $20 trying to get me to donate again. i know this because it was back when most mailings like that still had the physical stamp showing the amount of postage that was paid, and their elaborate mailings often cost $1.50 or more each. it made me feel like they didn't use any of my donation for an actual program :v:

This is why my mom stopped donating to MADD. As far as she can tell, they spend nearly everything they get from donations on soliciting more of them.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

MANime in the sheets posted:

This is why my mom stopped donating to MADD. As far as she can tell, they spend nearly everything they get from donations on soliciting more of them.

According to Charity Navigator, they spend about 25% on fundraising and 10% on admin so only 65% goes to the program which is pretty poor IMO for an org with revenue of $35 million/year.

Thanatosian posted:

I hate the "charities" that call, ask for a random common name, and then when told they have the wrong number, say "oh, well maybe you can help me..". They inevitably have hella generic names, usually involving veterans or firefighters.

Don't forget children and the police!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

greazeball posted:

According to Charity Navigator, they spend about 25% on fundraising and 10% on admin so only 65% goes to the program which is pretty poor IMO for an org with revenue of $35 million/year.

Don't forget children and the police!

Is that top one spending nearly 97% of its revenue on raising revenue?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Is that top one spending nearly 97% of its revenue on raising revenue?

Only 90! Program expenses are what they're raising the funds for and what you want >80% of the expenses to be. Those guys spend 91 cents to raise one dollar and then spend less than 6 cents of that dollar on sherrifs or policemen

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the UK it's common to get hit by a wave of 'chuggers' in the high streets, (charity muggers). They're a vile type who do their best to guilt you into paying a monthly subscription to a charity - some really well known, some unheard of. They also make it sound like they're in the streets volunteering but the ones in my old area were on about £8 ($12) an hour. They're told that they generally need 2 years worth of money from a person to break even. Scams all the way down.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

EL BROMANCE posted:

In the UK it's common to get hit by a wave of 'chuggers' in the high streets, (charity muggers). They're a vile type who do their best to guilt you into paying a monthly subscription to a charity - some really well known, some unheard of. They also make it sound like they're in the streets volunteering but the ones in my old area were on about £8 ($12) an hour. They're told that they generally need 2 years worth of money from a person to break even. Scams all the way down.

Chuggers are the worst. They're all working from the same playbook down to the emphatic hand gestures. I hate them.

The only upside is they're not allowed to sign you up to donate then and there any more, they have to arrange a time for someone to call you a few days later to set it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's good, they definitely need regulation. A guy from a gas company tried some bullshit on me in the street, going as far to jab me in the chest with his pen when I walked past him ignoring him. Not a violent person, but really had to count to ten to stop me turning around and smashing the poo poo out of him for that one. What a oval office.