Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Never really got the hate for printers. Inkjets suck, sure, but especially B/W lasers are pretty drat solid and never gave me issues. I had KonicaMinolta and Samsung printers myself and mainly HP stuff at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Krispy Kareem posted:

Printers are such terrible pieces of poo poo. I have a color laser, a b&w laser, and an inkjet and there have been situations where all three have refused to print at the same time. It’s the one technology that hasn’t gotten more reliable over the years.
That's because printer manufacturers spend all their time refining their core product--the ink cartridges.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mobby_6kl posted:

Never really got the hate for printers. Inkjets suck, sure, but especially B/W lasers are pretty drat solid and never gave me issues. I had KonicaMinolta and Samsung printers myself and mainly HP stuff at work.

Same, read the theory of operation from any early HP LaserJet manual and be amazed that any of this poo poo works at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kyocera FS-1020D supremacy.

B/W laser, super inexpensive toner carts that last forever, drat good network support and drivers for just about every OS ever made. All of the 2000s enterprise protocols you could ask for.

Also, I got it for free :smug:

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Sep 1, 2017

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Jerry Cotton posted:

So how the gently caress have you never come across a mid-90s Canon LASER printer :confused:

When I was in college, the best labs to go work on papers were the small labs in the math and teacher's buildings that had Mac Classics and a Cannon printer because they were rock reliable.

On the subject of TI-99/4A, my parents bought one of the original stainless versions in 81 or 82 with the speech synthesizer add on. My parents would buy magazines and type out pages and pages of code for games and record them to tape.

I remember thinking it was awesome I could type out this program that made R2-D2 sounds. Best games though, were Parsec and Tunnels of Doom. Friends would stay over on Friday and we'd load Tunnels of Doom from cassette and go battle monsters.

Then, one day I found out my parents took the whole thing to Goodwill. Someone got an excellent TI in a big plastic case filled with a bazillion cartridges for probably next to nothing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's kind of hard to believe the iPod is an obsolete piece of tech, but does anyone remember some really douchey article written shortly after the iPod started getting big, from the perspective of an upper middle class boomer that was appalled some attractive 20s jogger ran up to him, noticed the ipod buds, and then jacked him in to her workput mix (simultaneously jacking in to his ipod)?

I remember it reading like some weird techy kids these days panic article and with a dash of stdh.txt

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

It's kind of hard to believe the iPod is an obsolete piece of tech, but does anyone remember some really douchey article written shortly after the iPod started getting big, from the perspective of an upper middle class boomer that was appalled some attractive 20s jogger ran up to him, noticed the ipod buds, and then jacked him in to her workput mix (simultaneously jacking in to his ipod)?

I remember it reading like some weird techy kids these days panic article and with a dash of stdh.txt

That was a thing very briefly because (I think) the first-gen iPod didn’t automatically shut off music playing when the headphones were disconnected.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

FilthyImp posted:

The amount of action that takes to accomplish makes me wonder how he couldn't have stopped her.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Wacky Delly”" post="“475976104”"]
The amount of action that takes to accomplish makes me wonder how he couldn’t have stopped her.
[/quote]

He was frozen, jaw agape for minutes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Hahaha gently caress. Reminds me of this one dude who accidentally emailed the entire US Army org box in the "to" field.

Cue literally thousands of replies, cries for unsubscription, inflated egos clashing over information assurance, etc. The entire Army had their inboxes destroyed but this dumb idiots email.

I may have posted about this before but I was in Guantanamo when that happened in PAO and literally our entire sever got filled with GIGABYTES of those email responses, 100% HDD usage. We had a direct satellite link to DVIDS that was our only external communication line and it shut us down for days because people kept responding.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I would 100% absolutely not own a printer if they didn't come in really handy for the few times a year when you really do have to get something onto paper or copy some document. As it is I'm desperately trying to think of an out of the way place to put it to free up some shelf space, but in addition to being a massive pain in the rear end in every way, it's also bloody massive and can only go on the one specific shelf in my room that would be ideal for some audio stuff.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
LaserJet 4+ is my favorite printer ever. all printers are evil and bad, this is just the least evil and bad

Built like a tank. Replace the rollers every 250,000 pages or so and it'll probably outlast you.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

nullfunction posted:

LaserJet 4+ is my favorite printer ever. all printers are evil and bad, this is just the least evil and bad

Built like a tank. Replace the rollers every 250,000 pages or so and it'll probably outlast you.

Seeing this immediately brought back memories of school computer labs and the aroma of freshly printed homework. :allears:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

nullfunction posted:

Fun With C# and HP Laserjets

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FilthyImp posted:

I only remember that when the iPod was new the white buds were unique and highly noticeable, and muggers were using them to target people both for their expensive music device and because they were more likely to have cash. Requests were made for the iPod to ship with different colours of bud to make them less noticeable. Arch-oval office Steve Jobs replied that iPod users would rather be mugged than not be seen to be wearing their shiny Apple toy.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Humphreys posted:

On USB, I remember a time when USB was first being touted as the next best thing. An anecdote I read multiple times was 'no more driver discs, no configuring, the device tells the computer what it is and how it works' - such a simpler time haha.

To be fair that's mostly true... except for printers.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My LaserJet 2100TN is still running strong since 1999. That printer is a beast.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Brother B/W laser printers are pretty decent and reasonably cheap.

gently caress inkjets for ever, though.

A friend of mine's mother had problems with her inkjet causing her problems, not recognizing that we'd just bought new toner cartridges, etc. So I just told her to buy a Brother laser. It solved all her problems.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Jedit posted:

I only remember that when the iPod was new the white buds were unique and highly noticeable, and muggers were using them to target people both for their expensive music device and because they were more likely to have cash. Requests were made for the iPod to ship with different colours of bud to make them less noticeable. Arch-oval office Steve Jobs replied that iPod users would rather be mugged than not be seen to be wearing their shiny Apple toy.

And they deserved it. Those earbuds were terrible.

I saw one of these yesterday:

It's a car stereo where you place your iPod on a little slide out tray and the radio ingests it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My problem with printers is I print stuff so infrequently that whenever I need to print something I'm out of ink. Like clockwork.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
TTTOOONNNEEERRRR PPPPRRRRIIINNNTTTEEERRRRRR

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Horace posted:

It's a car stereo where you place your iPod on a little slide out tray and the radio ingests it.

drat 2001-2012 Mango would have love love loved that. My current car can't play CDs and has a single USB port that works occasionally. And no replaceable head unit.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Horace posted:

"Driver complained that the car's iPhone dock isn't working and was scratching his phone"
https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/iphone-cassette-player?utm_term=.pjyJv4YEJ#.pr8wOV6ow

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Horace posted:

I wish I'd have known about that back in the day, would have been slick. I just wish aftermarket car stereos - or at least some of them - didn't look like Tokyo at night and had knobs and buttons which made sense, rather than endless blinking lights and minuscule buttons of uncertain function.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ultimate Mango posted:

drat 2001-2012 Mango would have love love loved that. My current car can't play CDs and has a single USB port that works occasionally. And no replaceable head unit.

There are cheap Chinese products that retrofit audio/USB/iPod interfaces for almost any make of car and radio. Google "car audio link" or similar.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

I wish I'd have known about that back in the day, would have been slick. I just wish aftermarket car stereos - or at least some of them - didn't look like Tokyo at night and had knobs and buttons which made sense, rather than endless blinking lights and minuscule buttons of uncertain function.

My grandma just bought a Jeep and instead of knobs and buttons it has this touchscreen that's difficult to operate while stationary and impossible to use safely while driving. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? I swear to god I'll be buying '90s-early 2000s cars until it's impossible to find one that works for less than a million.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

My grandma just bought a Jeep and instead of knobs and buttons it has this touchscreen that's difficult to operate while stationary and impossible to use safely while driving. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? I swear to god I'll be buying '90s-early 2000s cars until it's impossible to find one that works for less than a million.

I had a 1999 Japanese market Nissan that had nav and air cond on a resistive touchscreen (funnily enough with a separate stereo) and it was even more awful than modern systems.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

The Laserjet 4050 4P was the pinnacle and it's been all downhill since then.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Re: printerchat, I have a pretty new Samsung B/W laser printer/scanner/copier thing and it works perfectly fine. :shrug: Seriously, it's literally just plug in and print or scan, Windows seems to handle the drivers by itself and everything.

Ruflux has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Sep 2, 2017

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

The problem with that stereo is that it’s extremely difficult to navigate through a decent size music library through the interface. I had an old pioneer years ago that had an iPod interface like that one (without the whole eating my iPod thing) and usually I would use the iPod itself to find what I wanted to listen to because the click wheel and iPod screen were much easier to deal with than the crappy stereo screen.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Android Auto and Apple Carplay are easily the best available options for car interfaces right now.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Wasabi the J posted:

Android Auto and Apple Carplay are easily the best available options for car interfaces right now.

My new Accord has CarPlay and it's really good about being able to do whatever with only voice commands and using the familiar Apple apps. Plus it's nice not being locked into(and paying for) a proprietary nav system that will become obsolete and un-updateable in the near future.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I just put a Pioneer head unit with CarPlay in my truck, and it's fantastic. Plus, since Pioneer has its own version of CarPlay called AppRadio, I can use Waze instead of Apple Maps (AppRadio kinda blows outside of that, tho).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grand Prize Winner posted:

My grandma just bought a Jeep and instead of knobs and buttons it has this touchscreen that's difficult to operate while stationary and impossible to use safely while driving.
"People dont like a knob to raise volume, they prefer a touch button that you have to hit 50 times" - car executive circa now

Chevrolet realized this was dumb as gently caress and their post 2015 or so line of cars has a volume knob. Their worst offender was the Volt, where everything was a goddamn touch sensitive surface on molded plastic.

I fear for the Model 3 and its giant ipad UI.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Knobs are definitely superior, but the one on my last stereo wore out and stopped letting me turn the volume up, so for the past two years I've had to use the lovely little remote that came with the stereo to adjust the volume, which really sucked when I would drop the remote between the seats during a long car ride.

Actually, now that I think about it, of all of the car stereos I've owned that had a volume knob (and I've had over 20 stereos since 1996) , only one (Pioneer) had a volume knob that didn't eventually wear out. It's one of the reasons I've decided to stick with Pioneer when it comes to car stereo decks. I've never had a single hardware issue with any of them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Android Auto/capacitive touchscreen dashboard were part of the next package up on my car, and it was the only thing in that package I cared about, but not enough to drop $2,300 extra. The resistive touchscreen interface is a bit clunky, but it gets the job done.

But now that Waze is coming to Android Auto, if I had it I wouldn't even need the annoying vent-mount phone holder :(

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do you have an AUX port? If you have a USB port, then you probably do, and can use that. If not, just buy one of the short-range MP3-to-radio broadcasters, since I guarantee you have a radio.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012

I got in poo poo at work once because I changed the 4050 on the sales floor to say "INSERT 25 CENTS" and one of the salesdroids put a quarter in the cooling vent then complained to management the printer stole his quarter.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I've been using the same head unit to play MP3 CDs for more than a decade. Sorta looking for one that has a SD slot or USB on the rear so I can just load everything on it.
I do not put MP3s on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Normal car gps units are pretty obsolete now it seems, my old unit is getting crash prone and laggy and i cant update the maps without paying a shitload so I looked for a replacement and the prices were insanely high compared with the function offered for essentially free on google maps.

Guess I will use my phone, but i liked having something that i could plug in, stick to the windscreen and have a map with no fuss or distractions.