Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

DesperateDan posted:

Normal car gps units are pretty obsolete now it seems, my old unit is getting crash prone and laggy and i cant update the maps without paying a shitload so I looked for a replacement and the prices were insanely high compared with the function offered for essentially free on google maps.

Guess I will use my phone, but i liked having something that i could plug in, stick to the windscreen and have a map with no fuss or distractions.

Google Maps on your phone, in navigation mode, in a suction-cup or vent-clip phone holder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Out of cities, my Garmin does a much better job, but in cities, Gmaps owns so much harder. I tend to use them both.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dont be mean to me posted:

Google Maps on your phone, in navigation mode, in a suction-cup or vent-clip phone holder?

Magnetic holders are the way to go.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The only utility for a dedicated unit is if you don't expect to have service where you're going, but even then you can preload maps onto some phone apps.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Waze is seriously the greatest thing ever. I've had a ton of occasions where it took me in directions that seemed really off, but I haven't had a single trip where it steered me wrong and I've discovered some really excellent/cool/scenic routes because of it that only add a few minutes to a multi-hour drive.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
There was all the talk about cdroms and install times a while back. I used to have several of the kenwood drives that split the beam and were fast as hell. They would usually be able to keep up with your hard drive and it felt like installations would just fly. They were prone to just dying though. I don’t think I ever had one last 18 months. :(

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=339&page=1

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mystes posted:

This is like when plug and play pci cards started coming out but they were actually a complete nightmare when you tried to combine them with ISA cards that used dip switches to set the irqs.

I'm glad I skipped like five generations of PCs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno how or why, but I got my first IRQ error hard crash in like 20 years a couple weeks ago by unplugging one of my MIDI controllers while I had Ableton open :iiam:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

empty baggie posted:

Knobs are definitely superior, but the one on my last stereo wore out and stopped letting me turn the volume up, so for the past two years I've had to use the lovely little remote that came with the stereo to adjust the volume, which really sucked when I would drop the remote between the seats during a long car ride.

Actually, now that I think about it, of all of the car stereos I've owned that had a volume knob (and I've had over 20 stereos since 1996) , only one (Pioneer) had a volume knob that didn't eventually wear out. It's one of the reasons I've decided to stick with Pioneer when it comes to car stereo decks. I've never had a single hardware issue with any of them.

Agreeing about Pioneer head units. I used to be way too into car audio poo poo. I had tons of Alpine and Kenwood stuff. Head units, amps and speakers. At some point I ended up with a middle of the road Pioneer. That thing sounded better and outlived some way more expensive gear. Last Pioneer head unit I had was one of the "modular" ones. It was a double din touch screen. No Bluetooth, nav or sat radio. But pioneer sold modules for all of that. If you bought all of the extra stuff you'd have been better off just buying the top range model that had it all built in to begin with. That's gotta be obsolete tech by now, having to buy extra poo poo to enable functions that should have been standard.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My first choice with an aftermarket stereo is Kenwood. After that is Pioneer, and then JVC. People diss on JVC but they make short media-only headunits with pretty beefy transistors and heatsinks on their amps, and they've never let me down. Plus a lot of JVC units don't look like nightclubs.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I had way too much Kenwood stuff die young to ever buy any of their stuff again. I always thought JVC stuff was way too disco looking but I can't say anything about quality. Right now I've got a Subaru with the factory 6 CD changer, Kicker door speakers, a Pioneer 12" sub with a poo poo brand amp. It all sounds decent considering that it's mostly junk.

If I did get a new head unit it'd be a pioneer. Unfortunately my car has auto climate control which means I'd have to buy a JDM dash install kit for something like $300. It sounds nice enough that I can live with it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

That's gotta be obsolete tech by now, having to buy extra poo poo to enable functions that should have been standard.
Nowadays you have to buy :airquote:licenses:airquote:.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
To tie my last like ten posts about laser toner printers and their lack of breaking (well, until all printers do: the night before an essay is due) along with the recent licensed/gated funtionality: I just unlocked the 550-page tray on my printer (extra addon, screws into the bottom, and has never worked since I picked it up from goodwill) by...installing Dell's "open" printer drivers for Windows 10.

With all previous drivers, including the ones I installed in 2015, that extra functionality required an extra payment or a business license. Today I farted around for a few hours and discovered that their Open/Free driver package they released in June of this year unlocked the 2-sided printing and the extra paper tray.

I've only been lugging around that duplexer and tray addon since I bought the printer for $25 at Goodwill since...2013.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

dont be mean to me posted:

I can, but it then means I can't use it for viewing the cars data using torque :( my boost gauge :(

Current plan is get a tablet and suffer the mild inconvenience of booting it up and running maps every time, if I can't find an older model one new somewhere.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DesperateDan posted:

I can, but it then means I can't use it for viewing the cars data using torque :( my boost gauge :(

Current plan is get a tablet and suffer the mild inconvenience of booting it up and running maps every time, if I can't find an older model one new somewhere.
Unless you're going to get a tablet with data, you're better of using your phone for the map, so you should probably just get the cheapest thing you can find to run torque.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

Do you have split screen support on your phone?

I'm mostly kidding, this actually looks somewhat workable though.

e; my screenshot seems to have broken.

sirbeefalot has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Sep 3, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mystes posted:

Unless you're going to get a tablet with data, you're better of using your phone for the map, so you should probably just get the cheapest thing you can find to run torque.

Can't they split the difference? Use the phone for the maps and the tablet for the boost gauge, and music and such?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There are GPS apps you can preload the map data into that then operate like a standalone unit. If you're already dedicating a device to the task space isn't even an issue (as the maps are not small)

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you have to use both your phone and a tablet anyway, you might as well use your phone for maps, since then you can just use google maps which will always be up to date.

I guess you could try to just use a tablet with a spit-screen view, though, although you might have trouble finding a mount that can handle a vertical tablet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Google Maps offline is decent.

If I had to choose between an offline tablet or an online phone, I’d use the tablet with offline maps for unfamiliar areas and the phone for any route I’d driven before.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

How about tethering the tablet to your smartphone for data?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Lurking Haro posted:

How about tethering the tablet to your smartphone for data?

That's the plan at the moment, I just get annoyed at the few extra steps above "plug it in, stick to windscreen, a few seconds later a map shows up with where I am on it". I rarely use one for directions, I just love having a map for easy viewing and exploring.

Is there a way to rig android to just boot right into a program?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

Is there a way to rig android to just boot right into a program?
If your phone supports NFC you can put an adhesive RF tag in your phone holder and set the phone to perform tasks when it detects the tag, like unlock, connect to the phone's hotspot and launch Google Maps.

http://www.androidauthority.com/nfc-trigger-tasker-409686/

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

If your phone supports NFC you can put an adhesive RF tag in your phone holder and set the phone to perform tasks when it detects the tag, like unlock, connect to the phone's hotspot and launch Google Maps.

I think you can set it to do stuff when it connects to a Bluetooth device too, like my phone launches the driving app when it connects to my car speaker

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

JnnyThndrs posted:

I wish I'd have known about that back in the day, would have been slick. I just wish aftermarket car stereos - or at least some of them - didn't look like Tokyo at night and had knobs and buttons which made sense, rather than endless blinking lights and minuscule buttons of uncertain function.

Almost all aftermarket single-DIN stereos are hideous, and in the rare case you find one which is not hideous it's usually pathetically low spec and outrageously priced.

Some of the touchscreen double DIN units are nice looking, until you see the interface which always looks like the most garbage WinAmp skin from 1999.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Horace posted:

Almost all aftermarket single-DIN stereos are hideous, and in the rare case you find one which is not hideous it's usually pathetically low spec and outrageously priced.

Some of the touchscreen double DIN units are nice looking, until you see the interface which always looks like the most garbage WinAmp skin from 1999.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of touchscreen interfaces for automobile functions even if they were a 'good' design. I mean, CarPlay' s ok, but still could be a lot better, and there was a ton of work put into it.

I'm just thinking of the double-DIN stereo in my old Cadillac. It had great big knobs and large buttons and you could do anything while never taking your eyes off the road. I can understand that a lot of people who upgrade their stereo want 'technology' and blinking lights appeal to them, but there's gotta be a market for simple, elegant, good-quality car stereos for people who just want something that plays from BT, 1/8" aux-in and USB sticks.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Collateral Damage posted:

That looks workable, thanks :)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of touchscreen interfaces for automobile functions even if they were a 'good' design. I mean, CarPlay' s ok, but still could be a lot better, and there was a ton of work put into it.

I'm just thinking of the double-DIN stereo in my old Cadillac. It had great big knobs and large buttons and you could do anything while never taking your eyes off the road. I can understand that a lot of people who upgrade their stereo want 'technology' and blinking lights appeal to them, but there's gotta be a market for simple, elegant, good-quality car stereos for people who just want something that plays from BT, 1/8" aux-in and USB sticks.

Yeah those are young techie professionals, you sell them the stereo attached to a $3000 option attached to a $25000 car attached to lucrative financing

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Printers themselves aren't the horror. The thing that blows me away is how the peripheral bits have remained absolutely horrible since pretty much ever. The Windows print queue is still a pile of garbage. Right click, cancel job, maybe it will actually clear that job in 5 minutes or so.

Or how printing systems still just have a mind of their own about how to scale something to fit a page. At work we print a lot of stuff from a task management system, and half the time it just decides "Oh, let's scale this to fit on 4 sheets of paper" We have a little portable printer to run off price tickets and shelf labels as well, and that thing is staggeringly crap. It has about a 30 second bootup time for some reason and likes to power-saver itself off after about 2 minutes of not using it. A good chunk of the time it can't even align to the price tickets and prints all over them, or amusingly prints a vomit of XML code onto 12 inches of tickets instead of a barcode.

It's like everything involving printing has just been stuck in 1980s era lovely quality forever.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Enos Shenk posted:

It's like everything involving printing has just been stuck in 1980s era lovely quality forever.

Printer manufacturers have seen that people (organizations mostly) will pay top dollar for absolute dogshit. They have no incentive to improve.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have been half tempted to put something like this in a bat file on my desktop. Somehow, stopping the spooler service, deleting the queue files, and restarting it works out as much faster than trying to delete a job the "correct" way.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bought a laserjet printer for $40, and it hit me that I still needed some sort of scanner. But there aren't cheap small flatbed scanners anymore. Scratch that, there are. But they're attached to really crappy printers which is what I wanted to get away from by buying the laserjet printer on sale.

I'm also putting a GPS back into my car. A 10-year-old one. It turns out a new battery is under 10 dollars and there are open source maps online for free. You'd think there wouldn't be problems with a phone GPS in suburban so-cal with no mountains in sight and clear skies but cell phones continue to surprise me...

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

RandomPauI posted:

I bought a laserjet printer for $40, and it hit me that I still needed some sort of scanner. But there aren't cheap small flatbed scanners anymore. Scratch that, there are. But they're attached to really crappy printers which is what I wanted to get away from by buying the laserjet printer on sale.

I'm also putting a GPS back into my car. A 10-year-old one. It turns out a new battery is under 10 dollars and there are open source maps online for free. You'd think there wouldn't be problems with a phone GPS in suburban so-cal with no mountains in sight and clear skies but cell phones continue to surprise me...

You can get one of those thin Canon Lide scanners for pretty cheap on eBay, they scan pictures and single documents fine and don't take up much room. I think I paid $35 w/shipping and it's been humming along for years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enos Shenk posted:

Printers themselves aren't the horror. The thing that blows me away is how the peripheral bits have remained absolutely horrible since pretty much ever. The Windows print queue is still a pile of garbage. Right click, cancel job, maybe it will actually clear that job in 5 minutes or so.

Or how printing systems still just have a mind of their own about how to scale something to fit a page. At work we print a lot of stuff from a task management system, and half the time it just decides "Oh, let's scale this to fit on 4 sheets of paper" We have a little portable printer to run off price tickets and shelf labels as well, and that thing is staggeringly crap. It has about a 30 second bootup time for some reason and likes to power-saver itself off after about 2 minutes of not using it. A good chunk of the time it can't even align to the price tickets and prints all over them, or amusingly prints a vomit of XML code onto 12 inches of tickets instead of a barcode.

But that never happened in the 1980s.

RandomPauI posted:

I see scanners all the time at flea markets around here for like 10-20€ because people buy those combo pieces of poo poo and sell their old scanner. A lot of the time they're in great nick because, ultimately, very few people actually use their scanners after the first three or four things they bought the drat thing for.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:16 on Sep 5, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jerry Cotton posted:

But that never happened in the 1980s.

Someone never had to deal with an Epson printer in elementary school.

I don't really need a printer, the two times a year I need a couple pages printed, I just load up a USB, and head on over to Kinko's FedEx Office and spend the $5 to print a stack of resumes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Someone never had to deal with an Epson printer in elementary school.

I didn't have to deal with printers at all in elementary school.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was good at making that stupid Epson printer work :negative:

I apparently have a way with the machine spirits.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you got something printed at my highschool you'd get those purple sheets that smelled awesome.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gromit posted:

If you got something printed at my highschool you'd get those purple sheets that smelled awesome.

How does it feel to be ancient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gromit posted:

You could always smell a test was a-coming. Also, the smell is alcohol.