Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
landed on "i enjoy this, but might cull a few clunkers out of repeat plays." as a whole the album drags a bit in the middle. killer opening two and closing two though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I think I pretty much agree with that. The only other QOTSA album I skip tracks on is Lullabies though, so it's still a dissapointment to only have a few good tracks.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Album is fine, that's all. Decent little pop record that doesn't stick with me, but it would be great to toss a track on at a party. The closing tune is nice, though.

The real tragedy is the lack of utilizing Jon Theodore, that man is a beast and his drum playing is really dull on this whole album. I was legit excited for QOTSA to get him to see what he could do for them and it turns out nothing interesting, bummer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm more or less repeating myself but I just listened to the album again, and I'm really becoming further convinced that inserting an upbeat track between Un-Reborn and Hideaway would make a big difference. (And hit that magic number of 10 tracks.) I kinda wish there were a B-side floating around somewhere so I could slot it in there myself, but that doesn't seem likely this time around, unfortunately.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Over weekend I listened to Them Crooked Vultures again, goddamn that album is perfect.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Over weekend I listened to Them Crooked Vultures again, goddamn that album is perfect.

Check to see if JPJ has plane tickets to San Bernadino in early October.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Ok here's my overly-:words: thoughts on the album:

I think the production is exceptional. It took me a while to get to that point, but I'm there now. The instruments fit nicely into their own frequency bands and every instrument is placed thoughtfully in the mix. It exposes the instruments in a really ballsy way. Distortion is used as a tool to color the guitar tone instead of just making the guitars sound aggressive for the sake of it (although, admittedly, I actually like it when QOTSA uses distortion to make poo poo loud and aggressive). If I were to change anything about the production, I'd give the drums and guitar a bit more high end, bring the vocals down a touch, and bring the drums up a bit. This is an expertly recorded and produced album.

The songwriting, as a whole, is also impeccable. With a couple exceptions, the songs all have extremely thoughtful composition that doesn't linger on anything too long, unless the song calls for it. This album might actually have the best songwriting, as a whole, of any of their previous efforts.

I do think that this record suffers a bit from relying too much on synthesizers to make songs sound more interesting, and I don't think it works. QOTSA have had this issue, in my opinion, since Era Vulgaris. Don't get me wrong, they have also used synthesizers extremely effectively since then, including on this album, but sometimes I don't think it really lends all that much, sonically, to a song.

A primary example is in the beginning of "Feet Don't Fail Me". When the intro riff gets going at :47, it's being played with a retro synth sound. To my ears, it sticks out as unnecessary. That said, that song also uses synths really effectively with the repeating ascending line that returns throughout the tune. "Fortress" is also guilty of this - there's a synth that doubles the vocal line in the chorus. There are a handful of other examples. I compare this to a guitar player adding more and more effects to try to make a boring lead line more interesting. Sometimes it's better to just cut the line, or rewrite it.

There are several songs or parts of songs that sound like they're trying to force homages to older styles of music. Nothing wrong with it inherently, I suppose, it's just not something that really appeals to me. I think "The Way You Used To Do" and "Head Like A Haunted House" are the worst examples of this, and they already sound pretty dated. This is a tricky complaint because, in a vacuum, I don't think it makes the songs sound bad, it maybe just sounds a little lazy. I especially like the riffs and energy on "Head Like a Haunted House", it just sorta sounds like something I've already heard.

Due to its consistency, absurdly competent songwriting, and a few very standout tracks, I think this is probably one of the best albums they've written, it's stylistically just not totally my cup of tea. It's a very, very good album that I will continue to listen to for a month or so, then I'll probably put it away. Pretty much the same treatment I gave "...Like Clockwork". Another album with exceptional songwriting, but stylistically just not really my thing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I will say even though I criticized the songwriting earlier, as a whole I agree, in the sense that the song structures are extremely well-considered. There's no lazy repetition, although the last stretch of "Un-Reborn Again" borders on it. But even on a song as basic as "The Way You Used To Do", there's something slightly different every time a chorus, verse, or refrain is repeated. That's what sets great songwriters apart from the rest. (The Beatles were especially good at it.)

But what I am missing a bit are more memorable melodies and more interesting guitar riffs & drum fills. Again, the 2 singles had these in spades, so I was expecting more. There are just a few too many parts where it sort of dissolves into indistinct strumming & tapping.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

on further listens I really like the composition and sound of Hideaway but hate the lyrics, they're possibly some of the lamest they've ever put to paper.

I swear that Un-reborn Again is a spiritual sequel to Into The Hollow, there are so many sounds and motifs in that song that echo that song to me.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Been hammering this on repeat the last few days and now I like it (or am suffering musical Stockholm syndrome), Fortress is probably my favourite song of the bunch.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
This is, without a doubt, their best work since Like Clockwork.

Another brilliant album from Homme & crew. They've never released a bad song, and I pray they never do. "Fortress" is the best part, to me, along with that killer opening to "Feet," and "Villains of Circumstance" closes things out nicely.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Zorodius posted:

This is, without a doubt, their best work since Like Clockwork.

Uhm.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahahaha, even I can agree to that one.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I assumed :thejoke:

I was thinking the other day, we fans might as well go ahead and christen Them Crooked Vultures the 6th QOTSA album, if that wasn't already clear. It "sounds like QOTSA" at least as much as this album does. The only thing that separates it is I guess John Paul Jones didn't feel like being called a Queen or something?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I was a huge queens fan way back when... in fact I just did the math and realized that SftD (also relistened, holy poo poo what a great album) came out when I was only 14 years old. That was kind of shocking.

I've dropped off since then, LtP was just okay, Era Vulgaris I just didn't put the effort to get into, didn't even know there was an album after that before Villains.

In any case it's been a nice google play trip down memory lane, I happen to like Clockwork quite a bit, new album is just okay with a few standout tracks but nothing like SftD.

Them Crooked Vultures also pretty nice, didn't know about that either. I feel like now that I've moved from the beautiful California coast to the Las Vegas desert I get their music a lot more

Play fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 3, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Play posted:

Era Vulgaris I just didn't put the effort to get into

EV is my favourite since SftD, you should give it another chance.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Un-reborn Again owns and makes me think a lot about all the good times I had during my late teens and early 20s when drugs were served on platters like hor d'oeuvres.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

il_cornuto posted:

EV is my favourite since SftD, you should give it another chance.

Sick Sick Sick and 3's & 7's are awesome.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Sick Sick Sick and 3's & 7's are awesome.

Also Misfit Love and I'm Designer.
Whole album is great really.
except for Battery Acid. Battery Acid sucks.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

No one ever mentions Run, Pig, Run but it's one of the best songs on the album IMO

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

il_cornuto posted:

No one ever mentions Run, Pig, Run but it's one of the best songs on the album IMO

My man. It's great, and possibly is the most sinister thing that Homme has written.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

il_cornuto posted:

Agreed and I'm still waiting for the horror movie that uses it as it's end credits song.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I think the only music I have on my phone is all the qotsa albums, all the kyuss albums, I think unida and hermano, slo burn, and some perfect circle.

I need to expand my music I think. Its pretty much just qotsa and friends, but that's what I like.

I think the only songs I really don't like are wake up screaming and needles in the camels eye. Desert sessions has some great stuff.

Hmm. It's hard for me to pick favorites.

Mosquito song is high up there. Hanging tree is good. Misfit love is great. Smooth sailing. Honestly, I'm a pretty big fan of you would know and walking on the sidewalks, too. Auto pilot. Blood is love. The first half of I think I lost my loving headache. Anything live where he asks Dan to turn on the lights or complains about cocksmokers. Basically everything except battery acid.

Supa scoopa and the mighty scoop, size queen, now that s a good song. Thing song is good too. Hurricane, rodeo, all good songs. Cannot go wrong with kyuss.

Why did I just list like every song.

Honestly the slo burn live set from desert fest on YouTube is pretty goddamned good and I'd listen if you haven't.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Always loved Freedom Run and Spaceship Landing from Kyuss, and Catamaran. Saw Kyuss Lives! A few years back at Download festival and loved the fact they just walked on stage, smashed out every good song from the back catalogue and then walked off again with no crowd interaction at all. Really suited the feel, obviously some crowd interaction is nice but some of it degenerates into sucking up to the audience. I always liked the way NOFX troll the crowd.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

vandalism posted:

Basically everything except battery acid.

at least we can agree on this.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Also Misfit Love and I'm Designer.
Whole album is great really.
except for Battery Acid. Battery Acid sucks.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

vandalism posted:

I think the only music I have on my phone is all the qotsa albums, all the kyuss albums, I think unida and hermano, slo burn, and some perfect circle.

I need to expand my music I think. Its pretty much just qotsa and friends, but that's what I like.

I think the only songs I really don't like are wake up screaming and needles in the camels eye. Desert sessions has some great stuff.

Hmm. It's hard for me to pick favorites.

Mosquito song is high up there. Hanging tree is good. Misfit love is great. Smooth sailing. Honestly, I'm a pretty big fan of you would know and walking on the sidewalks, too. Auto pilot. Blood is love. The first half of I think I lost my loving headache. Anything live where he asks Dan to turn on the lights or complains about cocksmokers. Basically everything except battery acid.

Supa scoopa and the mighty scoop, size queen, now that s a good song. Thing song is good too. Hurricane, rodeo, all good songs. Cannot go wrong with kyuss.

Why did I just list like every song.

Honestly the slo burn live set from desert fest on YouTube is pretty goddamned good and I'd listen if you haven't.

gently caress yeah, Size Queen!

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Anyone else catch them in Port Chester last night? Great show, I liked the new songs so much more live. And I got to see two of my favorite QOTSA songs - Leg of Lamb and I Appear Missing.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 7, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Era Vulgaris man, I don't know. I would have to say it's probably my least favorite QotSA album. I never felt it like I did SftD or Like Clockwork. I really like Make it Wit Chu and 3's & 7's, but the songs that fall flat to me like Battery Acid and River in the Road kind of kill it for me.

I'm not going to say that Villains is my favorite album, but it is by no means my least favorite. I loving love The Evil Has Landed way more than I have any right to, and the rest of it is really well composed and mixed even if I'm not as big on it like I was with Like Clockwork.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Era Vulgaris is an oddball. In some ways I felt like it was a good course correction after Lullabies, and I really like what it's going for 90% of the time, but in the end it just... Doesn't have legs? Something about it never completely clicks.

I do think it fares better if you toss in "Fun Machine" and "Running Joke". The latter at the end after "Run Pig Run". The former, not sure where. Maybe after "Make It Wit Chu".

sout
Apr 24, 2014

My iTunes version of EV goes Run Pig Run --> Running Joke --> Era Vulgaris --> I'm Designer Hot Chip remix. But I slotted Fun Machine at the end and usually skip EV and the remix.
I'm a big fan of the album though, Turnin, Misfit Love, 3s and 7s, are great and Suture through to Running Joke makes a decent outro. A lot of the songs feel like they might be overly long or there's just too many of them, but I like the way it sounds throughout.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Era Vulgaris is really good and has some really awesome B-sides.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Era Vulgaris took the longest for me to warm up to, but I think I might like it more than Songs For The Deaf, which would put it right behind Like Clockwork for my favorite Queens album. The highs aren't as high, but I'm more likely to sit down and listen to the whole thing instead of skip around. I love the dirty, lo-fi, Desert-Sessionsy sound it has.

Speaking of, is there ever going to be another DS album? I miss those.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
3s and 7s is the only bad song on an otherwise perfect album

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Speaking of, is there ever going to be another DS album? I miss those.

My guess is that moment has passed, as I get the feeling that most of the people involved have kind of grown apart (not in a "personal animosity" sense, just moved onto different things). It'd be pretty hard to get that same spirit back. But never say never, I suppose.

There are parts of the Sound City soundtrack that are a little bit Desert Sessions-y, so that's definitely something to check out if you haven't. It's basically Dave Grohl's version of DS. It has 4 songs that very heavily feature Josh Homme and/or Alain Johannes and/or Chris Goss. "Centipede" in particular is the most Desert Sessions-y thing I've heard in ages. The rest of it is much closer to Foo Fighters, but it's pretty solid all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf4L_OQOZsk

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Era Vulgaris has "Turning On A Screw" and no one talks about that track, it makes me sad. :smith:

Also, I had to look up "Running Joke", as I haven't heard that one before. Amazon only lets you buy it from the .co.uk domain, but not with an American credit card it seems. I just want to give more money to QotSA, but apparently the RIAA won't let it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I forgot how I obtained that one TBH. Great track though, really feels like a natural ending to the album, along with providing a nice callback to the "hidden ending" of Lullabies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I only just heard it today when I downloaded the album to my phone with Apple Music. It's weird they suddenly can distribute it, because I bought EV from iTunes and it didn't have it. I mean, that was ten years ago, but still.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
If you're jonsing for Desert Sessions without Josh, look into Goon Moon (Chris Goss & Geordie White) and Dave Catching's solo album.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I previously had Millionaire and Turnin' On The Screw as the best album intros but I think Feet Don't Fail Me has edged out both of them for me.

I love EV if only because that's the album I started with, but it works as the culmination of the sound fostered on SftD and Lullabies, that heavy sludge poo poo. I don't like the last 2 songs too much and wish the last song was the self-titled song instead, which works infinitely better as a closer. I was lucky to see a good number of the songs live but they never bust out 3's and 7's anymore and I can't remember if they ever play Into The Hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't know who first put the idea in my head, but I'll always wish Into The Hollow was a Mark Lanegan guest vocal.

• Locked thread