Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

The Adam Sandler movie I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry was on TV and that movie probably didn't even age well in the first week it came out. For a movie that came out in the late 00's it's like a bad sitcom from the early 90's.

I know Adam Sandler isn't a quality movie source, but even for him it stands out as bad.

Almost every Adam Sandler movie even to this day has at least one moment of "we shouldn't beat this person up because they're different but Jesus Christ look at this hilarious freak" in an uncomfortable way that's pretty unique to his movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I feel that when Red Dwarf did it it was doing it ironically, but I'm not sure... Evil Rimmer was amazing though, and as far as I recall he was the only one who was like that.

Also note that when Rimmer got a computer virus and turned against the crew, he was dressed in drag. With a penguin puppet called Mr. Fibble. In some cases I think it's due to being a counterweight to Rimmer being against his better nature. Notice at his best he's genuinely a sweet and awesome person that, despite being heterosexual, takes no offense at a male superior coming onto him. He gently asserts his orientation and the matter is dropped in a very mature way. What a guy.

Now that I'm thinking about it, wasn't Rimmer tortured by his parents by dressing in drag as humiliation? Maybe that's where the crossdressing-as-evil comes from?

Okay, found another episode that hasn't aged well: the second season premiere of Bosom Buddies, the old show where Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari dress in drag to get an affordable apartment. So by the second season they're tired of the premise and want to get rid of it. So, Tom Hanks' character outs himself to the woman he's dating who lives in the same apartment building. She's understandably upset and betrayed, and the last act of the show (all seven to nine minutes of it) is dedicated to the aftermath.

In a normal show, this should be the focus of another episode itself. This upsets the balance of everything: every single female character should react, apologies and rationalizations should be made, et cetera. How is it resolved? Everybody just accepts it blankly. "Men living in our female-only apartment building that is designed that way for safety's sake? Eh, no biggie" and it's basically written off as some sort of elaborate prank. Finally, Tom Hanks' character and his girlfriend make up and....no, she's rightfully pissed but since there's only a few minutes left in the episode, he pushes her down, holds her down, proclaims his love, and kisses her while stock footage of fireworks go off and the audience cheers and...roll credits.

Yeah, it kinda looks like sexual assault, really. Tom Hanks committing sexual assault because his girlfriend is upset that he posed as his own sister to possibly get close to her and take advantage of her trust and he proclaims his true feelings while holding her down so she can't get away. It comes off even more awkward than what I'm saying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pretty sure that's still how they teach kids here in 'Merica but I could be wrong

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Virus-infected Rimmer was wearing a dress because crossdressing is funny.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is more "related to a tv episode" but I just remembered there was a huge gushingly unironic thread a mod made about Susan Boyles manufactured performance on UKs got talent or whatever that's pretty indicative of what GBS 1.0 could be like

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
That Animal House angel/devil scene also had the football field scene when after he says he's a virgin she replies "I'm only 13" (or 14 or something, but way underage) and at the finale she introduces him to her father as "The boy who molested me". Then 10 years later is Big (Tom Hanks) where a 12 year old gets put in the body of an adult and gets laid in a PG movie. While not quite as creepy in between is Nerds with the hidden cameras in a sorority and the head nerd pretending to be the cheerleaders boyfriend to trick her into sex but that just makes her totally fall in love with the nerd, or selling topless pictures of her at he "pie" booth.

Funny thing is most people agree those parts of Animal House and probably even Nerds would not fly today but nobody blinks at Big that I've ever heard. A 2017 remake of Big but a 12 year old girl would have the writers investigated for being pedophiles. Those creepy anime "Its actually a 5000 year old demon in a 12 year olds body" would love it I'm sure.

I doubt Porky's could be made today but the 'tallywhacker lineup' was the funniest goddamn piece of film ever made so will never age. I saw it the first time stoned and almost threw up from laughing so hard. It has to have the shower scene for it to work but no loving way that's acceptable now. And I swear when I watched blazing saddles a few years ago they added in Cleavon Little saying "Thats my arm" after Madeline Kahn was saying "It's soooo big!". It's been so long since seeing the original but I don't remember that line.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Nah I definitely was weirded out last time I watched Big when it was on TV.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Toasticle posted:

. A 2017 remake of Big but a 12 year old girl would have the writers investigated for being pedophiles. Those creepy anime "Its actually a 5000 year old

I doubt it. Alleged child molester Woody Allen and known child molesters Roman Polanski and Victor Salva still get work and Salva molested a child on the set of his film about a half naked child being terrorized by a pervy clown.

Hollywood is weirdly down with paedophilia.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Aesop Poprock posted:

Susan Boyles manufactured performance

What does this even mean

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Man, you know what REALLY did not age well? Street Sharks. When I was a kid, I loved the show, and watched and rewatched constantly a VHS I had of the first two episodes. Flash forward to high school, I'm digging through some old stuff, I find the tape, and decide to try watching it again. (And apparently someone uploaded the entire series to youtube, so you too can enjoy the GENE-SLAMMIN' ADVENTURES of MUTANT TEENAGE SHARKS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QODCRSS0OPI

I think I made it about ten minutes before I could bring myself to turn it off. It's literally the worst aspects of the '90s distilled into a 20 minute toy commercial, and now I can only feel a deep sense of shame that I used to find this even remotely enjoyable.

Acebuckeye13 has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Sep 2, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Safari app hosed up, this was supposed to go in the r/relationships thread

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Sep 2, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I liked Street Sharks as a kid. I never actually got to watch the show, but the toys were mostly rubber and fun to chew.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hating on Street Sharks?

That is so not jawsome.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Man, you know what REALLY did not age well? Street Sharks. When I was a kid, I loved the show, and watched and rewatched constantly a VHS I had of the first two episodes. Flash forward to high school, I'm digging through some old stuff, I find the tape, and decide to try watching it again. (And apparently someone uploaded the entire series to youtube, so you too can enjoy the GENE-SLAMMIN' ADVENTURES of MUTANT TEENAGE SHARKS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QODCRSS0OPI

I think I made it about ten minutes before I could bring myself to turn it off. It's literally the worst aspects of the '90s distilled into a 20 minute toy commercial, and now I can only feel a deep sense of shame that I used to find this even remotely enjoyable.

Street Sharks is a great example of how everything on the internet is lies:

https://medium.com/pcmag-access/how-i-used-lies-about-a-cartoon-to-prove-history-is-meaningless-on-the-internet-6c88bcbc62d7

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Aug 25, 2020

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

What does this even mean

The clip they showed to represent her performance was heavily edited and exaggerated to make it look like the crowd was mocking or rolling their eyes at her when all the clips were taken out of context from other parts of the show entirely. I mean it was no more packaged than any other part of reality competition shows but the reaction was still essentially invented to tel a story they could sell

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Toasticle posted:

Funny thing is most people agree those parts of Animal House and probably even Nerds would not fly today but nobody blinks at Big that I've ever heard. A 2017 remake of Big but a 12 year old girl would have the writers investigated for being pedophiles. Those creepy anime "Its actually a 5000 year old demon in a 12 year olds body" would love it I'm sure.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337563/?ref_=nv_sr_1

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kinda reminds me of an... OK-to-middling movie that I watched a while back, It's a Boy/Girl thing (A body-swap/freaky friday kind of movie) which was really weird with that sort of thing - it had interesting ideas, like a scene where after something has gone awry the Basketball Star character is sulking in shame in the school basketball court sinking a few freethrows using the girls body, visual things like that, but there was a scene that almost went too far - after a major disagreement they try toward the middle of the movie to sabotage each other's lives, and his method involved a really skeevy plan where he takes her to a party with the intention of having sex with someone to make her look like a slut.

However he realises just how profoundly hosed up that would be and gets out of there, which I think leads to the aforementioned basketball scene, which is him contemplating just how lovely a person he must be to even consider doing that.

Edit: Also to get relevant to TV again, I just remembered about an old Sesame Street-type puppet program called "Hello Spencer!" which has one episode with a character who was a paper Chinese Dragon. He spoke in unironic "Ching chong" it was excruciating.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Sep 2, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pro click.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BioEnchanted posted:

Edit: Also to get relevant to TV again, I just remembered about an old Sesame Street-type puppet program called "Hello Spencer!" which has one episode with a character who was a paper Chinese Dragon. He spoke in unironic "Ching chong" it was excruciating.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FreudianSlippers posted:

I doubt it. Alleged child molester Woody Allen and known child molesters Roman Polanski and Victor Salva still get work and Salva molested a child on the set of his film about a half naked child being terrorized by a pervy clown.

Hollywood is weirdly down with paedophilia.

Luc Besson dated (and later married) a fifteen year old girl while he was in his thirties.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Luc Besson dated (and later married) a fifteen year old girl while he was in his thirties.
Huh

Wikipedia posted:

Le Besco later claimed that their relationship inspired Besson's film Léon
:catstare:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Isn't it basically an open secret now that Hollywood is lousy with pervy chickenhawk predators molesting all the young talent and always has been? I get the gist it's basically the price of admission, and it's pretty hosed that everyone seems to ignore it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
It is an open secret in the sense that there is a documentary of the same name and after Elijah wood spoke out on it, it's pretty likely someone told him very sternly to rescind his statements.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Yeah, Mara Wilson (of Matilda and Mrs Doubtfire) has also spoken about it. Personally (and depressingly) it's always been my theory for explaining Lindsay Lohan's behaviour. I'd like to be wrong, but...

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
You can probably throw a dart at pictures of bizarre adults that were child stars and it'd be difficult to not hit someone who was preyed on. Like o watched the mentioned documentary and it is so loving grim.

Anyway that's a little off topic. Remember that cartoon called Lil Bush? Now that did not age well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I mean, Marlon Brando sexually assaulted an actress on film and he was considered a progressive.

Whitlam posted:

Yeah, Mara Wilson (of Matilda and Mrs Doubtfire) has also spoken about it. Personally (and depressingly) it's always been my theory for explaining Lindsay Lohan's behaviour. I'd like to be wrong, but...

Corey Feldman went into way more detail than I ever wanted to hear about young actors getting assaulted.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Guess that shouldn't surprise me. The Big scene was a very "They are going to have sex" with him turning the light back on so he can see boobies which was what upped the ick factor for me. Not sure I want to know if that movie made it that clear or if it was just a 'has a boyfriend' and just left it at that.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Anyway that's a little off topic. Remember that cartoon called Lil Bush? Now that did not age well.

I always meant to at least see one episode just because Iggy Pop voiced little Rumsfeld. You did however make me remember "Thats my Bush" from Parker and Stone. Wasn't political much at all and the only thing I remember is one episodes with one of the plotlines being Laura thinking her crotch stinks when George was talking about a cat or something leading to the scene where she gets a douche via fire-hose.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Kareem posted:

I mean, Marlon Brando sexually assaulted an actress on film and he was considered a progressive.

Corey Feldman went into way more detail than I ever wanted to hear about young actors getting assaulted.

Yeah, Feldman is on record as saying that that's exactly what led Haim down the spiral to suicide iirc.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, Feldman is on record as saying that that's exactly what led Haim down the spiral to suicide iirc.

Okay, I'm seven years late, but goddammit why do I always find out from a PYF thread.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

There was a conspiracy theory that the singer of Linkin Park was getting ready to publicly expose a hollywood pedo ring before he suddenly died of "suicide"

Both he and Chris Cornell (another "suicide" case) were involved in rescuing abused and trafficked children.

quote:

According to TMD, Bennington's close friend and his wife had set up the Chris and Vicky Cornell Foundation for neglected children and also worked with a number of charities that worked with children rescued from child trafficking networks.
During his charitable work, Mr. Cornell had discovered a "black book" of names for an Elite pedophile ring that was part of a global child abuse network.Sources close to Cornell revealed that he was planning on going public with the names shortly before he was found dead.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Sep 3, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's pretty much common knowledge now that British media, government and police is basically one big pedophile ring.

On a slightly less depressing note, any more recent shows that have aged remarkably poorly in a short time? Was pondering Adventure Time and how it went from inescapable to old and busted in record time. Marceline I kinda keep remembering as Baby's First Daddy Issues: The Character, and as one-note characters go at least Pick mixes that up with Autistic Daddy Issues. Then again, I just gave up on that when the overlong season 5 built up to the heavens and ended with a wet fart.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
The first few seasons are still funny, creative and great. On a whim we picked them up and tossed them on in the background but then they tried to start getting serious maybe around season five and it's lame as hell

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm not sure it aged out all that fast. It lasted a really long time and only seems short in hindsight. Hell, its still going so somebody is watching it.

Especially now that people have wider exposure to more media, more stuff has shorter shelf lives. The whole brony phenomenon seems surreal as hell now, I mean it was then too but its hard to believe not that long ago these forums were rooting out grown men watching a little girls cartoon, like we used to do furries.

And now of course its stephen universe but thatll be replaced soon too I'm sure.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Sep 3, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is MLP still going?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

All of Friends (sexism, homophobia, racism)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUc0vbSlanM

Anything on Sex and The City regarding bisexuality ("It's the first stop on the way to gay town!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEIWg6pV9g0

Any eps of It's Always Sunny with Bruce (iirc there was line that was something like "Bruce doesn't want to get it on with a baby")

Koalas March has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Sep 3, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is MLP still going?

Yes, and there's a movie possibly coming to theatres. Hasbro may well have it be the next Simpsons so long as it keeps selling toys.

This is why it's probably just as well that Transformers reboots itself regularly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like people have peeled off and moved on to other stuff now, whether that's Steven Universe or Gravity Falls or whatever. Has anything replaced MLP as the go-to children's cartoon which some adults get far too into?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's pretty much 'anything popular', though Steven Universe probably peeled off a fair few, and has its very own super-toxic fanbase elements. (See the now infamous saga of a fan artist being hounded to the point of a suicide attempt because she was perceived to have drawn a character too skinny)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

(See the now infamous saga of a fan artist being hounded to the point of a suicide attempt because she was perceived to have drawn a character too skinny)

People take these things too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dragonstoned posted:

There was a conspiracy theory that the singer of Linkin Park was getting ready to publicly expose a hollywood pedo ring before he suddenly died of "suicide"

Both he and Chris Cornell (another "suicide" case) were involved in rescuing abused and trafficked children.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

not saying some child stars didn't run into predatory figures along the way but i'm a little skeptical that the same people who spend millions to organize film projects like independence day 2, assassin''s creed, resident evil the final chapter, the emoji movie, transformers, bay watch, etc, etc, etc or otherwise plan out things like the dark cinematic universe as their piece de resistance are the same people who can also organize and plan an illegal conspiracy requiring a harmony of tightly orchestrated whack-jobs and a near-perfect wall of silence

just a little skeptical tho