Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Wait. Wasn't there a plot in season 1 where that one German guy who pretended to be Swiss gave the plans for a nuke to the Japanese? Isn't that at the Japanese have the tech now? Unless you're referring to something else... I'm watching season 2 with my wife and it's going pretty slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So, is the consensus that this show is good? I'm looking for something new and forgot I have Prime

ufarn
May 30, 2009
First season is so-so, second season is excellent, although it's less concerned with the premise and more focused on just telling a story.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 3, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ufarn posted:

First season is so-so, second season is excellent, although it's less concerned with the premised and more focused on just telling a story.

That, and the second season has some pretty killer set-pieces. The sequence depicting the bombing of the Kempeitai Building is the kind of thriller set piece that television constantly tries to pull off, but rarely ever manages to do successfully. Everything works really well, and it balances the conflicting tension between wanting to see the characters succeed and fail better than any tv climax I've seen since Homeland Season 1. the music is loving stellar too.

There's a lot of slow stuff for a long time through, but the back half of the second season is a pretty classic example of a show getting its act together and working out how to make all its plotlines compelling. I'm legit excited for the new season.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Wait. Wasn't there a plot in season 1 where that one German guy who pretended to be Swiss gave the plans for a nuke to the Japanese? Isn't that at the Japanese have the tech now? Unless you're referring to something else... I'm watching season 2 with my wife and it's going pretty slow.

I think you're right about the plans, I meant that they haven't tested/demonstrated yet, and S2 seems to indicate they haven't even fully assembled a single bomb.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Phayray posted:

I think you're right about the plans, I meant that they haven't tested/demonstrated yet, and S2 seems to indicate they haven't even fully assembled a single bomb.

You're confused. Germany has hydrogen bombs, not nuclear bombs, which are a thousand times more powerful. The S2 plot is that Japan fakes footage of testing a nuclear bomb.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
:love: This is the reason why we go through production hell - seeing people experience the show for the first time and get all psyched for season 3 is awesome!

Let's just say S3 is going to have some incredible set pieces, and we're working hard to make sure audiences get that sense of tension and breathlessness that the Volkshalle Rally at the end of Season 2 gave.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

You're confused. Germany has hydrogen bombs, not nuclear bombs, which are a thousand times more powerful. The S2 plot is that Japan fakes footage of testing a nuclear bomb.

I believe you're confused - if Japan's fake test is 1000x more powerful than what Germany has, then Germany doesn't have thermonukes. When Smith shows the video he says "they call it a hydrogen bomb" so I'm pretty sure Germany does not have these yet. Japan is assembling their first basic fission bomb in San Francisco using HEU but they haven't completed it by the end of S2, unless I missed something.

In the terms we're speaking, hydrogen (fission + fusion) bombs are 1000x more powerful than "nuclear" (fission) bombs.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 3, 2017

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
That's excellent news, because I loved the fact that I pretty much knew how things would play out but you still managed to keep the tension high with flawless execution.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Phayray posted:

I believe you're confused - if Japan's fake test is 1000x more powerful than what Germany has, then Germany doesn't have thermonukes. When Smith shows the video he says "they call it a hydrogen bomb" so I'm pretty sure Germany does not have these yet. Japan is assembling their first basic fission bomb in San Francisco using HEU but they haven't completed it by the end of S2, unless I missed something.

In the terms we're speaking, hydrogen (fission + fusion) bombs are 1000x more powerful than "nuclear" (fission) bombs.

I believe you're right, and the terminology was tricking me, but to clarify:

S1: Japan has no atom bombs, they steal the plans from Germany, who according to season 2, only has invented basic atom bombs
S2: Germany is tricked into thinking Japan has advanced nuclear weapons, despite them only working on a basic atom bomb as a prototype

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

I believe you're right, and the terminology was tricking me, but to clarify:

S1: Japan has no atom bombs, they steal the plans from Germany, who according to season 2, only has invented basic atom bombs
S2: Germany is tricked into thinking Japan has advanced nuclear weapons, despite them only working on a basic atom bomb as a prototype

That's right, we're on the same page. This is why I wonder if ultimately the ruse will backfire since this will motivate Germany to pursue thermonukes when they might not have otherwise. Also, if they find out Japan doesn't actually possess the technology, I'd imagine they'd want to move to strike IMMEDIATELY before they can assemble their first nuke. I'm guessing, though, that we'll come into S3 and the fake test bought Japan enough time to actually develop their first real atom bomb, and it'll essentially be the Cold War but between Germany and Japan.

Looking forward to finding out!

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

I'm still wondering why the Japanese expect the Germans to let a bus full of dead and dying Americans with no apparent cause past the border, let alone go all the way to New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Phayray posted:

Also, if they find out Japan doesn't actually possess the technology, I'd imagine they'd want to move to strike IMMEDIATELY before they can assemble their first nuke.

If they found out it's fake, you'd think the bigger question would become, "how did they come across film of the hugest nuke they've ever seen exploding in the Pacific?" It's the mid-60's, they didn't CG it.

I imagine that concrete proof of a permeable infinite multiverse would be kind of the biggest deal ever.

• Locked thread