Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Jon Jones guilty?
This poll is closed.
Of course 89 55.28%
No way 6 3.73%
We'll wait and see 8 4.97%
Chael was right 58 36.02%
Total: 161 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20523028/why-praising-conor-mcgregor-losing-floyd-mayweather

this dude is care mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I am Otis posted:

It would have been cool if instead of killing DC in the ring he crippled him for the rest of his life and impacted his ability to clean himself or lead a wholesome, fulfilling life.

lol

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
All the boxing guys are insanely buttangry and asscare that the best defensive boxer in the world, Floyd Mayweather, defended against Conor's punches via a method stolen from a MMA fighter, Cro-Cop. Once Floyd saw that you can just turn your head so all the punches hit you in the back & therefore don't count he became invincible.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
andre berto wants to be the first boxer to be a ufc champion ... good luck to him IMO. although it will be difficult for him since holly holm already beat him to it

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
That time his brother absolutely would not let go of Yves Edwards' leg and got knocked out for it was sick

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eidolov is just beating that guys rear end. Made a GDT since no one else did

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832798

please don't make up cards and pretend like this 'eidolov' guy is someone who exists.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Memento posted:

I've put my August review up on pastebin for whenever kensei gets a chance to edit it in. I feel I was fair and balanced towards everyone who may or may not have been accused of doping violations during the month of August.

gently caress jon jones

kensei posted:

Yeah I am doing so now. Thanks duder :hf:

Wonderful OP, thanks Memento :)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Jerusalem posted:

Wonderful OP, thanks Memento :)

kensei posted:

Personally, I would have gone with tumbleweed.gif for the LHW Title picture, but innocent until proven gui-hahahaha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just post that gif of Daniel Cormier nodding/snickering :allears:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Triticum Guzzler posted:

That time his brother absolutely would not let go of Yves Edwards' leg and got knocked out for it was sick

That article was so embarrassed for Edson that it wouldn't acknowledge his existence.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

kimbo305 posted:

That article was so embarrassed for Edson that it wouldn't acknowledge his existence.

I never did watch much Elite XC, so I dug up the video to watch that fight. Here's the link if anyone wants to watch it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_MT3qZ0MIU Fight starts around 6:45. I forgot how to do the timestamp thing.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Jerusalem posted:

Just post that gif of Daniel Cormier nodding/snickering :allears:

Post the gif of him crying and running around aimlessly :allears:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I.N.R.I posted:

andre berto wants to be the first boxer to be a ufc champion ... good luck to him IMO. although it will be difficult for him since holly holm already beat him to it

She is a boxess.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
gently caress I thought fight night was actually tonight and not during the day. I had planned to make couple of small bets and now I'm bored with nothing to do. Are there any other UFC events coming up so I won't miss it this time?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

jase1 posted:

gently caress I thought fight night was actually tonight and not during the day. I had planned to make couple of small bets and now I'm bored with nothing to do. Are there any other UFC events coming up so I won't miss it this time?

We've got a few events later this month, including the mighty mouse vs Borg ppv a week from today

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
according to brandon shaub paulie spit on some irish fan from his commentating spot lol. set it up dana

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

according to brandon shaub paulie spit on some irish fan from his commentating spot lol. set it up dana

i would honestly be super interested in seeing Conor fight a boxer who's physically incapable of hurting him with a punch. paulie's fights were generally fun as hell to watch due to his combination of skill and weakness.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Volkov TKOing Struve kind of ruins my dream of a title rematch between Stipe & Struve but Volkov could be a good matchup.

From ages ago when Struve & Miocic faced off - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2QdjxWBLjU

Skip My Posts posted:

Here's the clip from the 3 hour podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eflBqziZAQ&t=3s

Edit - It's at the very end.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 3, 2017

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I love Nate but does he really deserve +/- 20 million to fight Conor?

Discuss.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kaddish posted:

Discuss.

Same and no.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Same and no.

Agreed and he needs to finally defend a belt, ideally against tferg or Khabib. But I seriously doubt UFC would book Khabib for a fight of that magnitude right now. The problem is Conor is so loving massive that he'll basically dictate whatever the gently caress he wants.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I would watch the hell out of Diaz/Mac at 155 though.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Kaddish posted:

Discuss.

Yes, and equally it would get negotiated down but a fight with anybody else is just an opponent and a fight with Nate is an event

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Nate deserves money, give him all the money

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Yes, and equally it would get negotiated down but a fight with anybody else is just an opponent and a fight with Nate is an event

The awkward thing is how the belt plays out. There is no way Nate deserves a shot at 155. And if Conor is fighting at 155, why in the hell isn't he defending the title. Conor should give up all pretense to being the champ and relinquish the belt if that fight happens.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Kaddish posted:

Discuss.

He doesn't not deserve it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I can imagine Dana and Conor tricking Nate into signing a -20 million dollar contract.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

1st AD posted:

Nate deserves money, give him all the money

Nate is a big draw, but he ain't 20 million. Conor will do a million buys regardless. That being said, it's not my money so gently caress it.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 3, 2017

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kaddish posted:

The awkward thing is how the belt plays out. There is no way Nate deserves a shot at 155. And if Conor is fighting at 155, why in the hell isn't he defending the title. Conor should give up all pretense to being the champ and relinquish the belt if that fight happens.

Nate is going to win the 155 belt then lose to Ferguson/Lee.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Kaddish posted:

Nate is a big draw, but he ain't 20 million. Conor will do a million buys regardless. That being said, it's not my money so gently caress it.

They should pay nate 40 million you dick

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

All fighters should make more money than they do now

Well, except the ones that aren't fun to watch because gently caress those guys right

Edit: Added the Woodley clause to my statement

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 3, 2017

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Mr. Carlisle posted:

All fighters should make more money than they do now

Well, except the ones that aren't fun to watch because gently caress those guys right

Fuckm

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

I am Otis posted:

They should pay nate 40 million you dick

lol no

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Nate stopped Mcgregor. He finished him. Mcgregggor couldn't do the same to Nate

Nate is better

he deserves a payday

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

they should pay nate diaz whatever he can get from them, because anyone conor is interested in fighting is a valuable commodity.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd rather Nate Diaz have that money than WME/Dana White so hell yeah give him 20 mil

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

freud mayweather posted:

they should pay nate diaz whatever he can get from them,

Yep.

freud mayweather posted:

because anyone conor is interested in fighting is a valuable commodity.

Yep.

But Nate isn't making 20 million.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd rather Nate Diaz have that money than WME/Dana White so hell yeah give him 20 mil

Epic thissery. Give Nate the 20 mil and give everyone else all the rest of the money and liquidate WME.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah they should pay him a billion doollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I was curious about the money, so I pulled out a calculator and looked up some numbers from past fights. McGregor vs Diaz 2 did 1.6 million PPV buys, I assume most of that is domestic, so I assumed they could do it again and call it $50 each. (Some will pay the $60 price and I have no idea how much commercial PPV sales brings in, balance that with cheaper overseas prices) So, $80 million. Cut that in half because the cable and satellite providers typically get half and the promoter gets the other half. So, $40 million.

The last fight between those two brought in $7.5 million at the gate. Nevada gets 8%, and I assume the operator of T-Mobile arena gets something, so say $5 million to the promoter. Sponsorships can get up to $10 million for big events, and probably $2 million from Fox for the prelims. (Fox contract is 100mm/year, 40 events a year is 2.5 per event, but this isn't a "UFC on Fox" event) So, thats another 17 million into the pot, so I end up at $57 million to be split between the UFC and the fighters.

In major sports with unions, the split is typically 50/50, but the UFC doesn't have to be fair. However, with McGregor and Diaz, they probably have the leverage to force the UFC to be fair-ish, so I'll assume the fighter's share is 35%, with the other 65% going to WME to pay off their absurd debt. So, we're at $20 million. The co-main event will probably be a title fight that takes $1 million, there will probably be 3 random vets who each get 100k, and the other 17 fighters will average about 40k, and there's 200k worth of bonuses. Taking out all of that, we're down to $17.8 million to be split between McGregor and Diaz.

Realistically, its probably like $12MM for McGregor, so Diaz would need to be happy with about $6MM. If we think they can force the UFC to accept a 50/50 split for this one event between fighters and promotion, we're still nowhere near $20MM available to pay off Diaz, maybe he could get $8 or $9 million then.

• Locked thread