Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm not really sure what your point is there, but you're taking a 4-minute bit from a comedian about an event that wasn't conclusively investigated at the time of the bit and pretending it's a political manifesto of a guy supporting a state's slaughter of its citizens...

Don't really know what to tell you there, bud.

No one is doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Had to rely on dailymotion for it, bit starts about 8 minutes in

For anyone unfamiliar, video of the incident in question is here, and you can see the miners being ripped up by a hail of gunfire as they flee disoriented from a cloud of teargas at about 1:25, so, you know, don't watch if you really don't want to see that.

It's a bad loving set.

Hey I hadn't seen this one before, thanks it was fun! :)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

that show was in what, late 2012...months after the massacre?
Then why are we talking about this? Didn't all the yelling and teeth-gnashing over years-old tweets months before Trevor became host teach us that digging up old things is a worthless, feelgood exercise for woke assholes who just want to scream and be outraged? How can you be sure that he still believes this 5 years after the fact?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Apparently it's relevant enough that it being thrown in his face after his recent dipshittery spooked the poo poo out of Viacom and sent them on a cleaning spree through youtube and twitter.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Apparently it's relevant enough that it being thrown in his face after his recent dipshittery spooked the poo poo out of Viacom and sent them on a cleaning spree through youtube and twitter.
But again, five years ago. I know I had views that were different back then. Society doesn't give a poo poo, apparently.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gonna go out on a limb and say not much changes about a person between the ages of 28 and 33 barring a series of deeply affecting events. Granted, I'm sure earning millions in that timespan accounts for some level of change.

In this particular case, I consider the poo poo in that special relevant because it's emblematic of him being ignorant as all hell on, frankly, a lot of subjects while also not meshing in the least with the dumb bullshit he said in regards to antifa.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

get that OUT of my face posted:

Then why are we talking about this? Didn't all the yelling and teeth-gnashing over years-old tweets months before Trevor became host teach us that digging up old things is a worthless, feelgood exercise for woke assholes who just want to scream and be outraged? How can you be sure that he still believes this 5 years after the fact?

I think you're confusing me with someone else, I said I think Trevor would have treated that topic differently had he known then what we know now. And we're talking about it because a dude said Trevor is all Blue Lives Matter and gives the police a pass for gunning down miners like it defines him

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

In this particular case, I consider the poo poo in that special relevant because it's emblematic of him being ignorant as all hell on, frankly, a lot of subjects while also not meshing in the least with the dumb bullshit he said in regards to antifa.

Dude...he's a comedian on a news comedy show with a staff of writers, do you feel like there's a chance you're kinda putting a lot of emotion on this bit being ignorant and the Antifa being treated unfairly in your view?

/edit
That wasn't meant to sound condescending

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Dude...he's a comedian on a news comedy show with a staff of writers, do you feel like there's a chance you're kinda putting a lot of emotion on this bit being ignorant and the Antifa being treated unfairly in your view?

I think Trevor is (willfully) ignorant on a lot of subjects, and this is the latest case of it. In general I feel he's demonstrated a propensity toward punching left for questionable reasons - those miners, antifa. A few months ago, he was framing progressive annoyance at Obama doing paid speeches for Wall St. as rooted in racism.

He's just kind of poo poo in general in my eyes, but Stewart also wasn't particularly better.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I haven't watched this week but I'm trying to figure out why everybody has their panties in a twist. That antifa segment was boilerplate Daily Show and I can't see anybody complaining (out loud) about the Confederate statue piece with Roy (which I thought was pretty drat good). Am I missing anything? Because if people are getting mad or spooked at him for anything I've been able to find I'm baffled. It's not like he went off the deep end.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Some folks are just really mad that he didn't furiously defend the Antifa, I guess? :shrug:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah because the issue was that he wasn't defending antifa, not that he decided to punch down towards the front-line defense against loving nazis.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I think you're confusing me with someone else, I said I think Trevor would have treated that topic differently had he known then what we know now. And we're talking about it because a dude said Trevor is all Blue Lives Matter and gives the police a pass for gunning down miners like it defines him
I wasn't responding to that entire post, just that snippet that says people are getting in a frenzy about a five-year-old clip from his standup because we've seen it many times before. And I agree with you on his change in views.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Dude...he's a comedian on a news comedy show with a staff of writers

Trevor Noah takes himself much more seriously than Jon Stewart did and sees himself as part of some Resistance

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
I used to sometimes dislike Jon Stewart's handwringing about how he was "just a comedian" but for the most part he did not lean into the same type of sanctimonious antics that Oliver / Bee / Noah eagerly engage in. There was a little more humility on his part which was refreshing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Yeah, they're all a little too self-aware of how IMPORTANT they are.

Though if Stewart were still on the air, by now his show would just be 20 minutes of him screaming every night, broken only by the need for ad breaks

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stewart was keenly aware of the power he had and plenty serious. Not at the beginning, obviously, but gradually and for the last decade. I mean, even the infamous Tucker Carlson and Bill O'Reilly stuff where he was insulting them for treating him as a peer was him putting himself as their peer. Stewart knew it was crazy that a comedian had that kind of sway, but he knew he had it and he used it.

People just felt it was more "earned" because most of us grew up with Stewart and watched it develop. Noah, Bee, and Oliver inherited it when people think they "misuse" it they get angry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pwn posted:

Though if Stewart were still on the air, by now his show would just be 20 minutes of him screaming every night, broken only by the need for ad breaks

Hell, I'd watch it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah because the issue was that he wasn't defending antifa, not that he decided to punch down towards the front-line defense against loving nazis.

If our front-line defense against loving nazis is represented by people who randomly sucker-punch people and break windows for funsies I think we can do better.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GutBomb posted:

If our front-line defense against loving nazis is represented by people who randomly sucker-punch people and break windows for funsies I think we can do better.
Stop using the Royal We and start getting out and doing it yourself then.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

IRQ posted:

And I imagine the guy that grew up under apartheid might have a fairly good sense of that. I don't necessarily agree with him, but I get it.

Trevor Noah, the guy who grow up under apartheid, was only allowed to participate in a multicultural society thanks to protestors that make antifa look like pacifist pussies. I have a lot of problems with antifa and when they use violence but lmao no

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah Trevor's perception of the event sure did change a lot in 5 years

https://twitter.com/That_Edward/status/904487548260679680

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
[Edit]beaten^^
Looks like Trevor Noah was still wrong well after that bad comedy bit. The fact that he can be so ignorant of the topic and still maintain his status as a current affairs comedian is insane.

https://twitter.com/That_Edward/status/904487548260679680

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This isn't gonna go well for Trevor.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Like you can't even hide behind comedy or playing to a certain audience on that one. That's just him being a deeply uncritical, ignorant poo poo.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

precision posted:

This isn't gonna go well for Trevor.

It's going to be just fine for him, he's insulated by a network that need to preserve the show's image. They already deleted the video and other problematic tweets, I doubt this one is getting a lot of play online, and anybody who points this poo poo out will get called a racist.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Trevor Noah, the guy who grow up under apartheid, was only allowed to participate in a multicultural society thanks to protestors that make antifa look like pacifist pussies. I have a lot of problems with antifa and when they use violence but lmao no

Did I not say I don't necessarily agree with him? I was only saying that perhaps people like oh snapple who have some kind of insane vendetta against Trevor Noah and the daily show in general (this is not the first thread I have seen that poster go off the loving deep end with unhinged bullshit about him and other daily show alums [did you know jason jones and sam bee are kkk grand wizards according to oh snapple?]) I might consider that Trevor Noah actually lived this poo poo and might know a bit more than we do, he does a great impression of Mandella after all!

LinYutang posted:

I used to sometimes dislike Jon Stewart's handwringing about how he was "just a comedian" but for the most part he did not lean into the same type of sanctimonious antics that Oliver / Bee / Noah eagerly engage in. There was a little more humility on his part which was refreshing.

Please, Jon Stewart would be falling in line with the "violence is always wrong" message too.

None of these people are going to give a positive view on antifa.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IRQ posted:

Did I not say I don't necessarily agree with him? I was only saying that perhaps people like oh snapple who have some kind of insane vendetta against Trevor Noah and the daily show in general (this is not the first thread I have seen that poster go off the loving deep end with unhinged bullshit about him and other daily show alums [did you know jason jones and sam bee are kkk grand wizards according to oh snapple?]) I might consider that Trevor Noah actually lived this poo poo and might know a bit more than we do, he does a great impression of Mandella after all!

Man gently caress you, I've done literally nothing of the loving sort. The whole thing with Bee and Jones was a case of "Rich liberals talk big progressive game, tell poor and minorities to gently caress off when it might actually inconvenience them" and I never presented it as anything else.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah like I said, unhinged vendetta.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

IRQ posted:

Please, Jon Stewart would be falling in line with the "violence is always wrong" message too.

None of these people are going to give a positive view on antifa.

Even if they wanted to (they wouldn't), the network would put the kibosh on that posthaste.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

The way he's been talking lately, I think he understands the appeal of antifa, even if he doesn't agree with the tactics (which is probably where most of us fall). When he talked about the "both sides" debacle, he had a chance to denounce antifa and didn't.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Man if "Jones and Bee objectively opposed their school integrating" is unhinged to you, I don't know what the hell.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Oh Snapple! posted:

Man if "Jones and Bee objectively opposed their school integrating" is unhinged to you, I don't know what the hell.

They opposed moving where their kid goes to school, not school integration, you loving muppet.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GutBomb posted:

They opposed moving where their kid goes to school, not school integration, you loving muppet.

...a move that was being made to integrate schools.

Good God you're special.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Oh Snapple! posted:

...a move that was being made to integrate schools.

Good God you're special.

And they opposed the moving the school part not the integration part.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GutBomb posted:

And they opposed the moving the school part not the integration part.

You...do realize what the consequences to successful opposition would have been on the integration front, right?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yep. Unhinged vendetta.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:yikes:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Like I said, if Trevor (like a lot of South Africans today) had known AT THE TIME what we know now, and had that been allowed to shape the coverage of Marikana, I think he and a lot of other people would have developed a different understanding and opinion of the incident. Trying to forcefeed a black South African a documentary to OPEN HIS EYES TO THE TRUTH today probably won't have much success. Ignorance is bliss.

I think going cold-turkey on nuclear energy after Fukushima was loving retarded, my sister thinks otherwise. I'm as correct today as I was in 2011, yet she thinks I'm being an insensitive monster, and showing her reports/statistics of the development/situation of nuclear energy and how loving dumb Germany's withdrawal was today is not going to change her mind. Neither of our opinions on the subject matter for poo poo.

Trevor's opinion on the issue (which he doesn't propagate on his huge platform, and doesn't mind you), shouldn't matter either, yet some people fly off the handle about it. It just seems really creepy and dumb that people get turbo-loving-emotional about trying to tell Trevor how he should feel about his fellow black men doing something HE BELIEVES to be dumb in "charging at the police" after all kinds of warnings and whatnot.

He's a comedian. He's not shouting his ignorant opinion off the loving rooftops, maybe relax and don't get upset at a fake news comedy show, idk? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Like I said, if Trevor (like a lot of South Africans today) had known AT THE TIME what we know now, and had that been allowed to shape the coverage of Marikana, I think he and a lot of other people would have developed a different understanding and opinion of the incident. Trying to forcefeed a black South African a documentary to OPEN HIS EYES TO THE TRUTH today probably won't have much success. Ignorance is bliss.

I think going cold-turkey on nuclear energy after Fukushima was loving retarded, my sister thinks otherwise. I'm as correct today as I was in 2011, yet she thinks I'm being an insensitive monster, and showing her reports/statistics of the development/situation of nuclear energy and how loving dumb Germany's withdrawal was today is not going to change her mind. Neither of our opinions on the subject matter for poo poo.

Trevor's opinion on the issue (which he doesn't propagate on his huge platform, and doesn't mind you), shouldn't matter either, yet some people fly off the handle about it. It just seems really creepy and dumb that people get turbo-loving-emotional about trying to tell Trevor how he should feel about his fellow black men doing something HE BELIEVES to be dumb in "charging at the police" after all kinds of warnings and whatnot.

He's a comedian. He's not shouting his ignorant opinion off the loving rooftops, maybe relax and don't get upset at a fake news comedy show, idk? :shrug:

This is some extremely contortionist bullshit to try to get around the fact that you ended up getting egg on your face defending a dumb piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread