Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat that song is real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

transcendent brain: listening to taylor swift

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I keep hearing the song on the radio and honestly the chorus sounds way better than the verses which are like general teen girl talk.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Pinterest Mom posted:

transcendent brain: listening to taylor swift

gestalt mind: listening to all the pop queens and kings

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Taylor Swift is much of a singer. She's better than Katy Perry but she's not as good as Lady Gaga or Adele or Beyoncé.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah her talent and success has always lied more in hooks/melodies/being a shrewd marketer than her actual voice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah her talent and success has always lied more in hooks/melodies/being a shrewd marketer than her actual voice.

A one-woman Motown. :v:

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think Taylor Swift is much of a singer. She's better than Katy Perry but she's not as good as Lady Gaga or Adele or Beyoncé.

She's actually worse than Katy Perry though? Listen to their live performances where they just stand/play and sing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's probably dreadfully unfair but I've been judging Katy Perry's vocals on her attempts to sing "Don't Stop Me Now" for years at this point. Maybe she's gotten better in the intervening years. Maybe she's gotten worse. I don't know. It's like the vocal equivalent of the Fred Durst Guitar Solo video for me.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcY2QZbpcL0

Kinda fixes the chorus?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

When the only direction you can go is up, I guess.

edit: finishing the listen: I'd listen to that again over the actual song in a heartbeat.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Taylor

https://pitchfork.com/news/listen-to-taylor-swifts-new-song-ready-for-it/

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Taylor Swift, Trap God

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Like I said earlier, she really knows exactly what she's doing:smuggo:

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
On first listen I hated it, on second listen I think I like some parts of it?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This sounds like gentrified yeezus

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

HorseRenoir posted:

This sounds like gentrified yeezus

This is......exactly what I was going to post. It sounds like the whole foods remix of I am a God.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why did Taylor wait until 2017 to rip off Nicki Minaj

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Apparently this whole new Taylor Swift album is going to be a single note going BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

lol god drat she loving sucks

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nah T Swift is cool and good

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

somnambulist posted:

This is......exactly what I was going to post. It sounds like the whole foods remix of I am a God.

loving exactly.

I mean, because I like that sound, I’m digging this record anyway, but it’s pretty loving blatant

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Way better than the last one but still not amazing

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
This is just an okay Sleigh Bells song.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjiupe-odRQ

So much better than the original, Jesus

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

aBagorn posted:

loving exactly.

I mean, because I like that sound, I’m digging this record anyway, but it’s pretty loving blatant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W73Gnr9nwl4

I mean.....................

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"I'm gonna rip off his old sound and release the album on the anniversary of his mom's death. That'll show him! :smuggo: "

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean if you are gonna rip off his old sound. Do it with the sound people actually liked. Get some soul samples. Or go 100% full on MBDTF huge production.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Dexo posted:

I mean if you are gonna rip off his old sound. Do it with the sound people actually liked. Get some soul samples. Or go 100% full on MBDTF huge production.

I just listened to MBDTF again all the way through on a long road-trip this weekend and man is the production over-the-top but it works so drat well. I caught myself saying like 6 times "this might be my favorite track on the album".

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Tove Lo.

Disco Tits

New Sam Smith

Too Good at Goodbyes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sam Smith is a pretty dull singer from what I've heard.

Does he have any up-tempo songs? I can only readily call to mind "Stay With Me" and his boring James Bond song.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I still can't believe his boring rear end Bond song won an Oscar.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

I still can't believe his boring rear end Bond song won an Oscar.
Yeah that was total bullshit. He owes that Oscar to Adele.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Definitely ranks near the bottom of Bond songs.

It might actually be worse than the muzak one from Octopussy.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah that was total bullshit. He owes that Oscar to Adele.

For what song? She already won the Oscar for Skyfall, and wasn't nominated in the same year as Sam Smith.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sam Smith is a pretty dull singer from what I've heard.

Does he have any up-tempo songs? I can only readily call to mind "Stay With Me" and his boring James Bond song.

He has the songs "Latch" and "Omen" with Disclosure that is more upbeat than most of his stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sam Smith sings like someone who is always on the verge of crying. He's worse than even loving Adam Levine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrSargent posted:

He has the songs "Latch" and "Omen" with Disclosure that is more upbeat than most of his stuff.

I'd assume that's more down to Disclosure than him.

exquisite tea posted:

Sam Smith sings like someone who is always on the verge of crying. He's worse than even loving Adam Levine.

Can be done well provided you don't over-egg it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Josh Lyman posted:

Nah T Swift is cool and good

1989 owned, but it so far it looks like she took by far the worst track on that album (Bad Blood) and decided "Yeah, I'm going to double down on this." I'm not gonna jump on the "lmao taylor swift always sucked tbh smh" train but holy cow this new direction is a real disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why did this silly feud start again?