Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
"Pilot Evans Gets Poopy-Poo On His Finger"
Gameplay reveal trailer
(c) 2018 Behaviour Interactive Inc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 3, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

stinch posted:

pretty funny that under those circumstances cr said 3.0 will be out by the end of 2016 and then presented a roadmap for a bunch of future patches.

It would almost make you think it was a giant scam, but it can't be because Sandra Roberts tweets pictures of graduates loving about with a CryEngine mod.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Dootman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOQkyrIQxDk

This is what happens when you tie your physics engine to your framerate.

Good article by Glenn Fiedler here: https://gafferongames.com/post/fix_your_timestep/

Ironically, this is the guy who is sponsored by CIG (and others) to work on his new networking library, yojimbo: https://github.com/networkprotocol/yojimbo

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

So I was bored and wanted to see how easily I could make an accurate Croberts transcription from Youtube's auto-caption system.

Here's Chris detailing the state of SQ42 just before leaving for the Imaginarium mocap shoot, 2 years 4 months and 28 days ago.
70 SQ42 missions coming in 2015!

quote:

So here is my 10 for the chairman questions. I'd like to say that this is probably going to be the last 10 for the chairman that you get from me for a while because I'm getting on a plane. This is... we're shooting this on Friday for Monday airing but I'm actually flying on Monday to the UK where I'm going to be working hard on the performance capture sessions for squadron 42 which is very cool. Hannis and myself are going to be working with all the actors and setting up all the scenes for squadron 42. We've got some... we're gonna have a pretty awesome cast. We're not going to share it yet it's going to be something that we'll reveal closer to the day but I think you guys will be both impressed and happy. Stories for Squadron 42 is shaping up really well. I think we haven't shared in detail, later on we were... we will share it but essentially you know we've got a really big sort of story arc so we're going to split it into a trilogy, so you know Wing Commander one, two, three, that kind of thing.

So episode one is what people will play this year and that's the one that has seven... the equivalent of 70 Wing Commander style missions and it's formulated a little differently than say the old Wing Commander because the Wing Commander it was like you flew a space mission and then you're aboard the ship and had some conversation, you flew another space mission. Whereas in squadron 42 you can fly a space mission and then land, get out, get into a firefight with some pirates then chase another pirate, he gets into a ship and takes off, you get into a ship and chase him, so you know in the old sort of Wing Commander format that's actually three missions but it's all sort of one fluid thing that happens. There'll be three sort of checkpoints so to speak of in squadron 42 for those kind of things, but it would sort of all be one overall mission.

So we're sort of thinking it's like 20, I think it's 21 chapters or so, and each chapter sort of is a segment of missions that's sort of a kind of fluid, so they sort of do this and then maybe you'll stop and be talking around and dealing with people and get into some action and then it sort of goes on like that.

So it's the equivalent of about 70 missions Wing Commander style. I think we think is about 20 hours of gameplay. It's pretty drat cool like I said, we're gonna have some we have an awesome cast and then you'll be spending time with them for the next.

So episode 2 is behind enemy lines which I think everyone that backed until like six million gets for free, and then episode three would be the year after that. So we're sort of thinking that we'll have each one of these each one of them is the equivalent of a huge triple A, you know Call of Duty or better because I mean we've got a much bigger campaign and it's cool and

So anyway I'm starting there. I'm going to shoot that. We're working you know really hard the UK guys heads down and we've got a whole bunch of other people in the German offices helping a lot on squadron 42 and other areas of... So Illfonic a lot of the FPS mechanics will go into squadron 42 stuff that we're doing for space here in L.A. is going into it and you know some of the you know animation and other aspects are also happening in austin for squadron 42.

So it's gonna be pretty cool but I'm going to be in the UK for the next almost three months. So basically we're starting shooting a couple of weeks from now but I've got to do prep also spend time with foundry 42 and then we'll shoot all the way through to about the end of June and will also be also doing some more motion capture and stuff like that and so but it's going to be fun. I'm really excited it's going to be you know cinematic great lots of movement so everyone that's a Wing Commander fan and wants the next generation Wing Commander I think is going to be very very happy with squadron 42 and what you'll get to play this year and then you'll have stuff to look forward to the next few years while we're busily finishing out the game which is you know something that we're going to be doing next year in terms of the persistent universe and all the rest of stuff.

So I think the idea is really just to sort of keep on building the universe and the world and also be releasing narrative stories for you to play and eventually we'll also be doing ones that aren't so, sort of, military focused like squadron 42. Maybe a sort of more kind of rogue Han Solo style story and stuff like that. This one's a pretty awesome, it's a pretty, pretty big storyline. Don't want to get into too much details but it's sort of the overall story arc was what the writer from sci-fi was referring to, who shouldn't have actually written down the article because I told her not to, but she seemed to forget that part but anyway. It's the overall arc of... That's why there's Behind Enemy Lines, it's the second episode. Anyway, enough of that, on to the questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXpx2C6rFAc&t=84s

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Really wish some of the ex-contract groups could come out an spill the beans on what it was like working for CIG.

Are there even any companies left on contract?

Amusing that CIG brought everything in house to 'save money' and quality of work has absolutely tanked.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SomethingJones posted:

It would almost make you think it was a giant scam, but it can't be because Sandra Roberts tweets pictures of graduates loving about with a CryEngine mod.

Nah I think Crobbler is just completely detached from his project. He doesn't play the game, that much has been clear since he bitched about the chat interface on a live stream. And from leaks it looks like he's unapproachable and surrounds himself with yes-men. Only time he looked engaged at all was when he was filming all that MoCrap

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

happyhippy posted:

loving hell.

No mining, no cargo, no loving gameplay what so ever.
And they wonder if you have to use the bathroom as a game mechanic.

Poll: Should Star Citizen have toilet paper or the three shells?

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Um, it's the far future, so obviously their fancy space toilets should have built in bidet and blow dry. As an added benefit this removes the need for any additional animations.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Um, it's the far future, so obviously their fancy space toilets should have built in bidet and blow dry. As an added benefit this removes the need for any additional animations.

LOL if you think Chris isn't opening a mocap studio right now dedicated to wiping animations

All bowel movements must simulated with extra wiping needed if you overdid it last space night on the Hairy Roberts

3.0 can't launch without full making GBS threads fidelity

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

"Pt-II", what could it mean? It must be some kind of military acronym.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Berious posted:

LOL if you think Chris isn't opening a mocap studio right now dedicated to wiping animations

All bowel movements must simulated with extra wiping needed if you overdid it last space night on the Hairy Roberts

They are fitting Ben with the mocap rig now.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Golli posted:

They are fitting Ben with the mocap rig now.
We're gonna need more ping pong balls.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I would like to see some Ben animations for like educational purposes because I can't fathom how he does a majority of day-to-day tasks.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Did they miss that 1.0 is usually a retail release candidate? Or that CIG's version numbering is nothing like what all other dev houses use?

3.0 should actually be 0.3.0a if it were done in the widely accepted version numbering system that all others use. (I don't know how DS numbers his, but I'm assuming he's not using anything quite as retarded as CIG's numbering)

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MilesK posted:

So I was bored and wanted to see how easily I could make an accurate Croberts transcription from Youtube's auto-caption system.

Here's Chris detailing the state of SQ42 just before leaving for the Imaginarium mocap shoot, 2 years 4 months and 28 days ago.
70 SQ42 missions coming in 2015!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXpx2C6rFAc&t=84s

That's a crazy read considering that's nearly two and a half years ago. It's been a long time since CR mentioned kickstarter tiers too.

Would be a shame if that transcript were to be posted to reddit, as a reminder of what everyone paid for and what was coming in 2016.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Berious posted:

Nah I think Crobbler is just completely detached from his project. He doesn't play the game, that much has been clear since he bitched about the chat interface on a live stream. And from leaks it looks like he's unapproachable and surrounds himself with yes-men. Only time he looked engaged at all was when he was filming all that MoCrap

The sickening and heartbreaking truth

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...
Reading about event horizons made me think about SC and the ELE.

Quote from Wikipedia:

quote:

...any object approaching the horizon from the observer's side appears to slow down and never quite pass through the horizon ... The traveling object, however, experiences no strange effects and does, in fact, pass through the horizon in a finite amount of proper time.

I've been following the SA threads for years, and seeing Star Citizen moving towards the ELE, but not quite ever getting there is... mesmerizing. Kinda like watching the Pitch Drop Experiment in real time.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Berious posted:

Forget mocap. This is gonna be a minigame. First gameloop confirmed.

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?

panic at the zoo posted:

Someone please suggest SmellOIP on their forums. It's a USB addon that is shaped like a nose and it translates your BO into the game. Maybe he'll go for it.

the peripheral looks like those things the aliens wore in their noses in battlefield earth

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

These. loving. Morons.

Let's see, shall we?

First of all, since my very first game, I have used the industry standard build/patch numbering scheme. Most recent:

CIG. A comedy of failures.

And they're not even out of Alpha yet, but they're using numbering scheme for a live released title. Because clearly we know nothing about game development.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 3, 2017

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

TheAgent posted:

why did everyone gently caress up, why didn't anyone tell me poo poo was broken, why aren't we further along, why don't the backers pledge more, why don't people understand what we're doing here, why aren't things working properly when the outside contractors had them working fine, why can't we do things better, why can't we hire better programmers, why do we have to keep paying contractors who already dropped out of the project, why do we have to pay actors more, why are we not making more money, why aren't we close to finishing 3.0, why are people afraid to come talk to me about issues, why can't I get a straight loving answer from you loving idiots, why are our monthly expenses so high, why aren't outside contractors interested in working with us, why aren't people impressed by FOIP, why can't I go on vacation, oh I loving can BYE

This is the portrait of Chris that I find the most credible because it closely matches a manager I once worked for years ago. There were differences. Our company hadn't hit a $150 million payday, so we were getting by on tax credits, small contracts, research grants etc. We were paycheque to paycheque much earlier. But the picture of the man here—running a scam without realizing that what he's doing, puzzled and frustrated that technical things he doesn't understand aren't easy, resentful because he feels like *he's* had all this success why can't the people below him succeed?—that's very familiar to me.

Since we're all writing yearbook letters to the CIG people TheAgent says are reading this thread, here's mine:

Start making plans to get out now. Things will limp along for much longer than you think possible but then when it goes wrong, it'll be out of nowhere. At minimum, save some of your paycheques into a 'keep the lights on when they start missing pay dates' fund.

Don't let the daily ups and downs blind you to the overall direction of travel. There may be some Come to Jesus moments where your boss seems to finally 'get it' about the things that need doing to save this project, but those will be temporary, and he'll likely fall back into old habits fast. Don't let yourself be fooled.

Years from now, all this chaos and pain will be a line or two on your resume. Sticking it out for a few extra months/years won't make that line look much better or worse.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

D_Smart posted:

It's all in The July Blog :colbert:

poo poo, I should've known that you called it.

stinch posted:

pretty funny that under those circumstances cr said 3.0 will be out by the end of 2016 and then presented a roadmap for a bunch of future patches.

Well if BI ditched CIG because of non-payment like Agent says, then I'm guessing he was planning on outsourcing the creation of 3.0 to them.

It's very generous of CR to make outlandish claims about what would be included in 3.0 on BI's behalf.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sabreseven posted:

Did they miss that 1.0 is usually a retail release candidate? Or that CIG's version numbering is nothing like what all other dev houses use?

3.0 should actually be 0.3.0a if it were done in the widely accepted version numbering system that all others use. (I don't know how DS numbers his, but I'm assuming he's not using anything quite as retarded as CIG's numbering)

But you see, if they didn't number it that way then "Elite 2.0" would look way better than "Star Citizen 0.2" on paper, ergo

e: Elite's working on 2.4 while Star Citizen's working on 3.0, who's winning now bitches

double e: also chris is on record talking about how "people already have star citizen" so it's pretty apparent that in his own mind, when it's convenient, those version numbers are legit. it's only a "(pre) alpha" when he needs to tone down expectations after a failed presentation or patch

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 3, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

But you see, if they didn't number it that way then "Elite 2.0" would look way better than "Star Citizen 0.2" on paper, ergo

e: Elite's working on 2.4 while Star Citizen's working on 3.0, who's winning now bitches

double e: also chris is on record talking about how "people already have star citizen" so it's pretty apparent that in his own mind, when it's convenient, those version numbers are legit. it's only a "(pre) alpha" when he needs to tone down expectations after a failed presentation or patch

Yes. That's totally it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3stBTV7QZzk&t=87s

Reminder to Citizens, send more gifts.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

In a way, CIG's collapse is sad, I would've preferred to see Goonrathi make hyper-serious RPers cry but, sadly, it was never to be. :sigh:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's more theorycrafting going on in this thread than :reddit: .
Stop it.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Mangoose posted:

Toops posted:

Also, show me ONE TIME. Show me ONE loving TIME a meteor has loving RISEN. NO. You can't. "Ooh meteoric rise this and meteoric rise that" WRONG. STUPID AND WRONG. Meteors FALL you stupid idiots. Wake up people. WAKE THE gently caress UP fuckin' plebsheep stupid idiots.

I had to look it up and... from dictionary.com:

Meteoric

adjective
of, relating to, or consisting of meteors.
resembling a meteor in transient brilliance, suddenness of appearance, swiftness, etc.:
his meteoric rise in politics.

of or coming from the atmosphere; meteorological.

Holy poo poo, there must be a million things that travel quickly that could be used to describe something rising, so why pick something that inevitably crashes violently into the ground? It makes no sense! I'm not a native english speaker, so I don't know if I ever heard this stupid loving expression before, but I know that I finally found my own little hill to die on.

Thank you for your support in this matter.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

yeah, I reckon you're correct tbh. :)

It is funny watching CR trying to convince people to take him seriously, it's literally "Hey everyone, I'm still a good games dev because my version numbering is higher than Elites" :D

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Fangrim posted:

I've been following the SA threads for years, and seeing Star Citizen moving towards the ELE, but not quite ever getting there is... mesmerizing. Kinda like watching the Pitch Drop Experiment in real time.
I'm pretty sure watching Star Citizen's progress is like watching the Pitch Drop Experiment in slow-motion. I mean, you could see 9 complete drops of pitch come out over 84 years, that's a blistering pace compared to what CIG's managing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Day 2, I still have not received a reply.

What the gently caress Cymelion?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lladre posted:

There's more theorycrafting going on in this thread than :reddit: .
Stop it.

Aye, so let me tell you a short story then, because i dont feel like cramming out the 88mm Wall of Text cannon
Let me tell you... about the Cooler Disaster

I think that's a telling one about CIGs "left hand doesn't know what right hand does"
So back in late 2015 I think cig made that stretch goal with the coolers as components all backers would get and they were really proud when they not only made coolers an exchangeable component, but also introduced UI functionality to ramp the coolers between open and closed

Now here's the caveat. What do the coolers cool actually?

This isn't that easy to explain, but I'll try. Basically the ships have a unified heat pool, that's the value you could see in the HUD. The problem is that the only components that could actually overheat, the guns, had their own heat pools that would slowly trickle into the main heat pool through a hard coded cooling rate on the guns.

This means that a guns cooling performance wouldn't ever care for the ships cooling system or the ship itself... It would cool exactly the same on a constellation, hornet or Aurora.

Now of course this also meant that the cooler component or setting didn't matter jack poo poo. It was like if you were trying to fill a swimming pool from a shot glass with a tea spoon, while a diesel pump emptied it at the same time.

Now the UI guys made the whole ship individual UI for the coolers, the ship designers (who are also the gun designers) placed all the cooling components and implemented them for months and they even explained the system to backers proudly

And it did not do anything at all to the one component that could actually overheat.

And it still doesn't.

There were Discussions where this absolutely trivial design error was explained to the responsible Devs (who also commented and interacted in the Discussion). That's from over a year ago. There's still nothing changed on the matter

Oh and the power system functions exactly the same too... With exactly the same work going into it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/StarCitizenAA/status/904454788145926144

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Come on man. A warning or something before you start making GBS threads up the thread with that hideous beast.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Let's not.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
So they flew these guys out to atlanta nice

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Stellaris, a game that actually exists, has a Star Trek mod, which is basically an entire new game in itself, that just recently put out a massive update. Little buggy at the moment (hotfix is incoming soon), but they made a mirror universe map that lets you play the Terran Empire. Very cool.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Another free trip lol... do they even mention it in their official media channels that they're attending this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

I just want to know what the guy in the "Duuuuuude" shirt did