Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Jon Jones guilty?
This poll is closed.
Of course 89 55.28%
No way 6 3.73%
We'll wait and see 8 4.97%
Chael was right 58 36.02%
Total: 161 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rigel posted:

65% going to WME to pay off their absurd debt

Ahh yess.... WME is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

it aint your money dipshit

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Ahh yess.... WME is hosed.

Breaking it down like this also helps explain why they were willing to let Conor go fight Mayweather. This huge McGregor vs Diaz 3 hypothetical PPV event, which is the biggest fight they can make right now, looks like it sends less money to WME than what they were able to pocket from the freakshow.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Google Butt posted:

it aint your money dipshit

See above but you're straight delusional if you think WME/UFC is paying Nate Diaz 20 million. Namaste dipshit.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Namaste

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

nate doesnt deserve 20 mil but he should get it

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
There are about 600 current UFC fighters, so at $4 billion, each fighter should get $6.6 million, and we can have a employee operated UFC.

Win-win

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Pay Neight Diabs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If anyone hasn't seen the Conor x Floyd match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjntT8tMbwM&t=965s

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Kaddish posted:

See above but you're straight delusional if you think WME/UFC is paying Nate Diaz 20 million. Namaste dipshit.

You asked if he deserved it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

List the fighters who you think deserve to be paid 20 million dollars for one fight

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Google Butt posted:

You asked if he deserved it.

He doesn't. He only "deserves" it in the context of a McGregor fight in which Conor will generate a majority of whatever leverage Nate has in any given fight. Nate deserves to get paid - and paid well - but c'mon, not several times over other fighters that are better, haven been better, and will always be better. Nate is a million dollar fighter but not 20 million.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Google Butt posted:

List the fighters who you think deserve to be paid 20 million dollars for one fight

Justin Gaethje's last fight should have been worth 20 million.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Google Butt posted:

Jon Jones, GSP, Conor, maybe DC. Ronda Rousey. Brock I guess. Mighty Mouse because why not.

I feel like we're having amnesia with Nate fights.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 3, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Namaste, Fuckerqueef.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Can we open a separate thread for wholly unknowing people who want to endlessly and pointlessly pontificate on WME/IMG's financial state?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Connor tapped before Nate had even started tightening the choke.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Ad hominem logical fallacy much? Namaste.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

El Roncho posted:

Can we open a separate thread for wholly unknowing people who want to endlessly and pointlessly pontificate on WME/IMG's financial state?

This is that thread

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

evobatman posted:

Connor tapped before Nate had even started tightening the choke.

why wouldnt he. he wasnt getting out of it

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
to me, when nate diaz's boxing coach says he deserves 20 million for a mcgregor rematch, that's a wholly separate thing to nate diaz actually demanding 20 million for the fight

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i really dont wanna see conor fight nate again. no offense to nate who i like a lot. although obviously i would actually watch the fight if it happened

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

i wanna see him fight either tony ferguson or khabib which khabib will never do or max holloway which conor wont do. so he's gonna end up fighting interim lightweight champion the mo-town phenom kevin lee

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

why wouldnt he. he wasnt getting out of it

tapping when you know you've lost doesn't make any sense, you only tap when you've struggled against a hold and possibly caused damage to your body because it makes you look cooler+tougher

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Deserve's got nothin to do with it

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rigel posted:

I was curious about the money, so I pulled out a calculator and looked up some numbers from past fights. McGregor vs Diaz 2 did 1.6 million PPV buys, I assume most of that is domestic, so I assumed they could do it again and call it $50 each. (Some will pay the $60 price and I have no idea how much commercial PPV sales brings in, balance that with cheaper overseas prices) So, $80 million. Cut that in half because the cable and satellite providers typically get half and the promoter gets the other half. So, $40 million.

The last fight between those two brought in $7.5 million at the gate. Nevada gets 8%, and I assume the operator of T-Mobile arena gets something, so say $5 million to the promoter. Sponsorships can get up to $10 million for big events, and probably $2 million from Fox for the prelims. (Fox contract is 100mm/year, 40 events a year is 2.5 per event, but this isn't a "UFC on Fox" event) So, thats another 17 million into the pot, so I end up at $57 million to be split between the UFC and the fighters.

In major sports with unions, the split is typically 50/50, but the UFC doesn't have to be fair. However, with McGregor and Diaz, they probably have the leverage to force the UFC to be fair-ish, so I'll assume the fighter's share is 35%, with the other 65% going to WME to pay off their absurd debt. So, we're at $20 million. The co-main event will probably be a title fight that takes $1 million, there will probably be 3 random vets who each get 100k, and the other 17 fighters will average about 40k, and there's 200k worth of bonuses. Taking out all of that, we're down to $17.8 million to be split between McGregor and Diaz.

Realistically, its probably like $12MM for McGregor, so Diaz would need to be happy with about $6MM. If we think they can force the UFC to accept a 50/50 split for this one event between fighters and promotion, we're still nowhere near $20MM available to pay off Diaz, maybe he could get $8 or $9 million then.

Lol

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

i really dont wanna see conor fight nate again. no offense to nate who i like a lot. although obviously i would actually watch the fight if it happened

I would rather Conor defend the belt but I'd still want to watch the trilogy for sure.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

El Roncho posted:

He used a calculator. Wtf more do you want?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
You know what, actually Nate does deserve $20 million in a Conor fight that generates give or take $100 million gross, which seems pretty possible. So gently caress it, I was wrong, PEACE

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Kaddish posted:

He doesn't. He only "deserves" it in the context of a McGregor fight in which Conor will generate a majority of whatever leverage Nate has in any given fight. Nate deserves to get paid - and paid well - but c'mon, not several times over other fighters that are better, haven been better, and will always be better. Nate is a million dollar fighter but not 20 million.

He deserves the 20 million because it's not my money and him getting 20 million doesn't mean anyone else gets paid less. It's weird that you care this much about who deserves what

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Google Butt posted:

He deserves the 20 million because it's not my money and him getting 20 million doesn't mean anyone else gets paid less. It's weird that you care this much about who deserves what

I think it's really because of the Conor effect in MMA, especially after the Mayweather fight. I'm not sure this model translates to better pay for fighters, and as much as I want to see Nate get paid, the sport is going down a dangerous path.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

I.N.R.I posted:

Agreed. I would definitely watch it but I'd much rather watch Ferguson fight Conor

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Kaddish posted:

I think it's really because of the Conor effect in MMA, especially after the Mayweather fight. I'm not sure this model translates to better pay for fighters, and as much as I want to see Nate get paid, the sport is going down a dangerous path.

Lol

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

if we're gonna keep throwing around fantasy words like "deserve", then nate diaz deserves a jillion dollars and immunity from all laws/drug testing due to the fight where he had that one dullard in a triangle and stuck up both his bad fingers to the crowd.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Kaddish posted:

You know what, actually Nate does deserve $20 million in a Conor fight that generates give or take $100 million gross, which seems pretty possible. So gently caress it, I was wrong, PEACE

Peace

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
They should split 50/50

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

freud mayweather posted:

if we're gonna keep throwing around fantasy words like "deserve", then nate diaz deserves a jillion dollars and immunity from all laws/drug testing due to the fight where he had that one dullard in a triangle and stuck up both his bad fingers to the crowd.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

That was pellegrino who was a black belt and Nate was a purple if I remember right

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

freud mayweather posted:

The "f-u" fingers were really cool. Then he flexed, also very cool. I'd also like to retroactively extend the law/drug testing exemption to Nick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think conor, who is bad, should continue to only ever fight nate diaz. Who is bad

• Locked thread