Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If you're going to vote me then do it, there's no need to do a warm up routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

So it was just a joke vote with a day left to deadline?

No but really, Opop hasn't voted anybody. At least I have a vote out. Scummy, second failed attempt at trying to call my Kash vote scummy.

##vote Opop

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Magnus let's do this instead. Kashuno isn't going anywhere and besides he said it's a bad idea for town to vote him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

I hate to say it man but your material just isn't clicking with the audience, maybe you should workshop that poo poo in the comedy clubs before busting it out for the Netflix special

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I've been out of the meta here for a few years. are all our lurkers typical lurkers if they play much?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I hate to say it man but your material just isn't clicking with the audience, maybe you should workshop that poo poo in the comedy clubs before busting it out for the Netflix special

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm getting kind of sick of being voted for not voting every drat game. Not having your vote on someone doesn't make you scum.

This just looks like TNL trying to jump out in front of me so he can yell OMGUS when I ##vote tnl though

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm getting kind of sick of being voted for not voting every drat game. Not having your vote on someone doesn't make you scum.

This just looks like TNL trying to jump out in front of me so he can yell OMGUS when I ##vote tnl though

Agreed ##vote TNL

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Who's worse, someone who jokevotes a day before deadline or someone who doesn't vote at all?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The first one

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

How so.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Retro Futurist posted:

The first one

yeah im w/ opop here

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Without any kind of concrete information, I'd argue that not voting at all on Day 1 is the significantly lesser sin, IMHO. It's (much) worse on subsequent days, but a D1 vote is almost never illustrative of anything more than "that person made a joke I didn't like" and/or "look what a funny crazy guy I am" (or, occasionally, "oh poo poo it's a bandwagon I better hop on board so they don't come after me next").

Having said that, I am also out of the current meta, since it's been a while since my last Mafia game, so I could be out of touch on that one - but I can't really see how. A Day 1 informationless lynch - barring some sort of egregious slipup on the scum's part - is statistically much more likely to be beneficial to the scum than the town. To what degree it's more likely is unknown, since we don't know what roles are present and how many scum there are in this variant, but it's still a pretty safe bet IMHO that the game isn't divided 50/50 between town and scum.

(unless there are mutually opposing scum factions, but that sounds like a fuckin' headache)

That's my read, anyways; if someone thinks I'm wrong they can feel free to try and convince me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Because the person not voting can still vote for someone, and they're free to discuss people and their feelings (as I did)

The joke voter drums up votes on someone close to the deadline in a game (mafia as a whole not this particular one) where people tend to pile on apathy lynches at the 11th hour. And if they're scum, it lets them hide in plain sight

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Not voting is scummy because scum don't care about who gets voted provided it's not them. Town have to make their kills happen by discussion and consensus.

This is basic game theory and also why Opop calling me scummy for voting while not voting himself is scummy. Why didn't he vote me then?

He cast around twice for a reason to escalate a suspicion on me and it took me daring him to vote me and voting him myself before he did.

The fact that he says I voted him to "beat him to it" is just support for that.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Because the person not voting can still vote for someone, and they're free to discuss people and their feelings (as I did)

The joke voter drums up votes on someone close to the deadline in a game (mafia as a whole not this particular one) where people tend to pile on apathy lynches at the 11th hour. And if they're scum, it lets them hide in plain sight

Drumming up votes before the deadline is what town players are supposed to do, it's how executions happen.

A second vote on someone one day from deadline is a far cry from an 11th hour vote.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Im not feeling the RF vote TNL.

I voted kash to try and see if I could get him posting a lot, and to see how others would react. Im fine unvoting him, as I dont think he reacted to my vote scummily.

##unvote

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mr. F! posted:

I voted kash to try and see if I could get him posting a lot, and to see how others would react. Im fine unvoting him, as I dont think he reacted to my vote scummily.

##unvote

He accused me of scum slipping and jumping on a bandwagon. Just a bunch of buzzwords that don't mean anything in the context he's using them. It's scummy play, how do you accuse someone of scumslipping and then not vote them??

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Ninth Layer posted:

He accused me of scum slipping and jumping on a bandwagon. Just a bunch of buzzwords that don't mean anything in the context he's using them. It's scummy play, how do you accuse someone of scumslipping and then not vote them??

Ok I agree, nothing you did could be construed as a scum slip, but I dont know, I read his reaction to being voted for not voting as genuine.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah it was probably genuine annoyance because the last few times I've called him out for it he was also scum!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Not voting is scummy because scum don't care about who gets voted provided it's not them. Town have to make their kills happen by discussion and consensus.

See that's the distinction. I can discuss things and build consensus without voting.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

See that's the distinction. I can discuss things and build consensus without voting.
Not by slandering me from the sidelines you can't. I think I've even proved it here by getting you to vote.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3831800

most of you are above 5 posts itt, but if you are not, you should get there so that you are not freely lynchable day two.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Not by slandering me from the sidelines you can't. I think I've even proved it here by getting you to vote.

I wanted to ask you so I could get some clarification and allow you to defend yourself, which makes more sense to me than just gung ho voting someone. Then your response was not very townie so I went ahead and voted.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well I'll unvote you if and when you can explain how my vote at all resembled a scum slip.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

The Ninth Layer posted:

Drumming up votes before the deadline is what town players are supposed to do, it's how executions happen.

A second vote on someone one day from deadline is a far cry from an 11th hour vote.

I agree with this. "A joke vote a day before deadline" when basically all votes out at the time were jokevotes, is a pretty lame accusation.

Flamander
May 4, 2009
Jokevotes vs no votes as a measure of scumminess is a useless debate imo; because you're using meaningless criteria to define whether a person is scum or town D1, when a lot of people either jokevote or don't vote early on.

##unvote

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

The Ninth Layer (2): Retro Futurist, Kashuno
Retro Futurist (1): The Ninth Layer
this is a stickup (1): Kashuno, yronic heroism, Mr. F!, Mr. F!, Kashuno
Mr. F! (1): this is a stickup
2 penny bottle imp (0): Flamander, Flamander
derp (0): The Ninth Layer, yronic heroism, yronic heroism, The Ninth Layer
got some chores tonight (0): Mr. F!, Mr. F!
Flamander (0): 2 penny bottle imp, 2 penny bottle imp
Kashuno (0): this is a stickup, this is a stickup, Mr. F!, The Ninth Layer, The Ninth Layer, Mr. F!

Not Voting (8): 2 penny bottle imp, derp, DivineCoffeeBinge, Flamander, flerp, got some chores tonight, Mr. F!, Saith

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is September 04th, 2017 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 11 hours, 9 minutes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Flamander posted:

Jokevotes vs no votes as a measure of scumminess is a useless debate imo; because you're using meaningless criteria to define whether a person is scum or town D1, when a lot of people either jokevote or don't vote early on.

##unvote

Seconding this sentiment. IMO if anything's a good indicator of scumminess it's calling for blood D1, given the likelihood for D1 lynches to hurt town more than scum.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Well I'll unvote you if and when you can explain how my vote at all resembled a scum slip.

Not a traditional scumslip, just not paying full attention to the thread

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

yronic heroism posted:

What I'm saying is I don't believe this is a joke town would make.

well done detective! it wasn't a joke!

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
hmm, I have some thoughts on these matters

last time I called opop out for not voting, I was the serial killer. perhaps tnl is a serial killer! I went back through some old games to see if I had caught opop, and saw that him not voting isn't a consistent scum tell. but I was right, opop was scum!

what I'm saying is, we should kill both

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I would vote for either of those people, or neither, and vote for this mole rat instead

Mr. F! posted:

I specifically told you NOT to target me

heinously attempts to frame me by misrepresenting a vote as a targeted action

Mr. F! posted:

##vote chores

Posting in only song lyrics is never a town move

lies about choresian posting tactics. a true injustice. proof, town chores totally carrying a town victory by posting song lyrics: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813438&userid=184939

Mr. F! posted:

You should instead vote yourself

encouraging the deaths of town players

Mr. F! posted:

##unvote

mean to tnl on his birthday. mean to kash despite kash making crazy games.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Seconding this sentiment. IMO if anything's a good indicator of scumminess it's calling for blood D1, given the likelihood for D1 lynches to hurt town more than scum.

this is bullshit stupid garbage and makes me unreasonably angry

##vote dcb i desperately want your blood now

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
whats scummy is the overdone handwringing 'hey guys lets talk about this' caution mongering that town players dont have, but scum players seem to think makes them look town

a town player hates scum, and when they think they smell one they go bloodhound and want death

a scum player can not find or replicate this feeling so goes for the 'voice of reason' since they perceive that as 'town' somehow, even though they must have played as a town player before in their lives

psychology is weird

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

You know the kind of thing town players hate just as much as scum? Losing. And killing off other townies is a great way to make that happen faster. You know what's a great way for scum to get a leg up early in the game? Pointing and shouting "Hey I think this guy must be scum" on the flimsiest bullshit excuse and hoping town is dumb enough to latch on.

If we were on Day 3 you'd have a case, but on Day 1 a lynch based on a faint whiff is vastly more likely to catch a townie than scum. I wonder, oh how I wonder, if you could possibly be missing this fact somehow. Strangely I don't think you are.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the post i quoted from you is basically advocating for a no lynch on all day ones. this is stupid and giving the scum a free ride, dont try to dress it up as you being cool and collected

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The conventional wisdom for D1 certainly used to be vote. Either scum is found or information is gained.

I'm not convinced DCB just doesn't believe in a different play style though.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
thats not a 'play style' its deciding not to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Since when did people get so scared of voting?

• Locked thread