Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

multijoe posted:

It's been pretty cool the b-team have been getting their moments in the sun this arc and, imo, this last episode has been the only dud. I am however, ready for the main event to start and it would be nice to see the star players for each team actually fighting for real.

Good news! The main event is in three episodes!

Bad news! It's five weeks away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress toei!!!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
no

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Y'know I was hoping for an episode purely focused on 17 and 18 but if Gohan and Piccolo can't even get 5 minutes to themselves there's no way in hell that's happening

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CharlestonJew posted:

Y'know I was hoping for an episode purely focused on 17 and 18 but if Gohan and Piccolo can't even get 5 minutes to themselves there's no way in hell that's happening

I like how Gohan's role was to be completely stupid and helpless in this episode while Piccolo did all the thinking for him. I'm not really sure why they kept trying to push the "Gohan is the smartest tactician" angle when "not as strong as others but incredibly savvy" has been Piccolo's entire characterization since the character was introduced.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they're handling both characters poorly but that's not anything new with super

so far the smartest fighters have been like 17 and roshi tbh

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Gohan throws a rock, piccolo shoots it

"We can use the dust as cover"

I wonder if gohan was just throwin a rock for fun before piccolo told him that

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

CharlestonJew posted:

I just wanna see them do the Accel Dance.

Come on Toei just give me the Accel Dance.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kanos posted:

I'm not really sure why they kept trying to push the "Gohan is the smartest tactician" angle when "not as strong as others but incredibly savvy" has been Piccolo's entire characterization since the character was introduced.
The last time they pushed that he lost to Frost in the exact same way Goku did, so I'm not even sure he's great at being savvy either.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kanos posted:

I like how Gohan's role was to be completely stupid and helpless in this episode while Piccolo did all the thinking for him. I'm not really sure why they kept trying to push the "Gohan is the smartest tactician" angle when "not as strong as others but incredibly savvy" has been Piccolo's entire characterization since the character was introduced.

Has anyone other than Goku claimed that Gohan is smart in the show?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

sassassin posted:

Has anyone other than Goku claimed that Gohan is smart in the show?

His wife, I guess

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's nothing in the show that I can think of that contradicts the idea that Gohan is dumb as a brick and Piccolo is desperately covering for him. The alternative doesn't fit what we are shown.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sassassin posted:

There's nothing in the show that I can think of that contradicts the idea that Gohan is dumb as a brick and Piccolo is desperately covering for him. The alternative doesn't fit what we are shown.

hot take: the writing for gohan is bad

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Gohan is smart though.

At academics, that is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Momomo posted:

The last time they pushed that he lost to Frost in the exact same way Goku did, so I'm not even sure he's great at being savvy either.

Literally nobody noticed Frost's poison needles except for loving Jaco, and that includes people like Vegeta and Beerus, so I'm going to give Piccolo a pass on that one.

seiferguy posted:

Gohan is smart though.

At academics, that is.

Pretty much this. Gohan is really smart at some things(academics, being a family man) but he is and always has been dumb as a sack of rocks and totally reliant on idiot brute force in combat. I guess it's plausible to read Goku as dumb enough to conflate the two.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

has a sheer difference in power ever not been the deciding factor in a gohan fight?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

has a sheer difference in power ever not been the deciding factor in a gohan fight?

You could argue that his fight against the poison furry wasn't a raw difference in power, though he was pretty much entirely reliant on dumping out a ton of ki to use as sonar and then brute forcing through poison to the point where it basically killed him to win.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Manatee Cannon posted:

He was clearly way stronger than Super Buu but still lost

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

He was clearly way stronger than Super Buu but still lost

yea but that's because gotenks got himself absorbed like an idiot

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kanos posted:

Literally nobody noticed Frost's poison needles except for loving Jaco, and that includes people like Vegeta and Beerus, so I'm going to give Piccolo a pass on that one.

and that 100% made sense because Jaco does for real have super senses

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

gohan represents modern japanese youth so whenever he fucks up big time, which is all the time, understand that toriyama is making a social commentary

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calibanibal posted:

gohan represents modern japanese youth so whenever he fucks up big time, which is all the time, understand that toriyama is making a social commentary

Gohan's wife is 2d this all checks out.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Calibanibal posted:

That the old guard have created unsustainable levels and growths, and have forced their youth towards it relentlessly with no care for their own goals or needs to contribute in society, dragged into disaster after disaster by their elders as they seek out non-family figures for genuine validation, their potential taken and forced to be burnt out on the whims of the overdriven?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:golfclap:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Black August posted:

That the old guard have created unsustainable levels and growths, and have forced their youth towards it relentlessly with no care for their own goals or needs to contribute in society, dragged into disaster after disaster by their elders as they seek out non-family figures for genuine validation, their potential taken and forced to be burnt out on the whims of the overdriven?

Actually the youth of today just really like the color green

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

reignofevil posted:

Actually the youth of today just really like the color green

green is hella underrated and good

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if Goku would mix up one of the other two Namekians with Piccolo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Black August posted:

green is hella underrated and good

:agreed:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

bobjr posted:

I wonder if Goku would mix up one of the other two Namekians with Piccolo.

they are OLIVE thank you excuse me

Piccolo is MUTANT TURTLE

get some color culture, thug

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I'm not gonna try to make the case that this was a good episode, but I did enjoy Goku and Vegeta throwing huge rocks, it reminded me of Donkey Kong tossing barrels. Pretty funny filler.

Er.. why, exactly, didn't Goku use instantaneous movement, and one-inch-punch the fat reflector dude into oblivion? And what happened to chi barriers to stop the sniper? Didn't Vegeta already use one earlier in the tournament? Maybe I'm overthinking this. :psyduck:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jedah posted:

I'm not gonna try to make the case that this was a good episode, but I did enjoy Goku and Vegeta throwing huge rocks, it reminded me of Donkey Kong tossing barrels. Pretty funny filler.

Er.. why, exactly, didn't Goku use instantaneous movement, and one-inch-punch the fat reflector dude into oblivion? And what happened to chi barriers to stop the sniper? Didn't Vegeta already use one earlier in the tournament? Maybe I'm overthinking this. :psyduck:

why did vegeta think attacking the reflect guy with a beam was a good idea when the first time they see him, he's reflecting beams to attack

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

a.lo posted:

Thank you Tien for doing nothing you gently caress

The highest praise Beerus or anything can give to Tien is "Good going on making sure your ring out was a tie by taking someone with you". Because that's all his Kikoho is now, a sacrifice myself move because he's basically just Chaotsu now.

Is Jiren ever going to actually show a form of character or give a real taste of his abilities before the hour long special on October 3rd? The dude is the most boring, forced rival ever and I'd like him to actually prove himself besides smacking Kale unconscious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't even mind Jiren being held back as his team's ace, I just wish he'd actually talk and react and generally do things besides stand there stoically and silently with his arms folded.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Jedah posted:

Maybe I'm overthinking this. :psyduck:

please respect Goku and Vegeta's age and ability to absorb absolutely tremendous amounts of trauma as they take heablow after headblow and slowly stumble towards a boxer's nightmare end, but with Saiyans, so they just eat more and fight dumber

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kanos posted:

I don't even mind Jiren being held back as his team's ace, I just wish he'd actually talk and react and generally do things besides stand there stoically and silently with his arms folded.

he uses Kenshiro's VA they probably want to save him for specials and the end only

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

why did vegeta think attacking the reflect guy with a beam was a good idea when the first time they see him, he's reflecting beams to attack

in dragon ball gt when goku is fighting super 17, an opponent who can absorb energy blasts from all parts of his body, he mainly uses physical strikes to attack him until he transforms to ssj4 and gets the upper hand. He then proceeds to spam energy blasts in a vegeta-esque fashion.

Black August posted:

he uses Kenshiro's VA they probably want to save him for specials and the end only

akira kamiya retired like a decade ago

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
by the way is Freeza going to do anything? Why is he here?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a.lo posted:

So people could talk about how great he's actually been after 20 years. Kinda like Tien, really.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

a.lo posted:

I assume he will take on the remainders of some jobber universe singlehandedly in an upcoming episode to put him over, hell be the last to ring out for U7 and the final fight will be Goku versus Freeza+Some jackass from another universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I bet Frieza gets a wank episode where he devastates two entire universes into erasure by himself just to level things off