Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are they making 45:33 part 2 after American Dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Man, it's way less ironic and way angrier than previous LCD albums. That's a good thing though, because it loving grooves while doing it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Haven't listened to the leak, but I'm excited that this has the highest metacritic score of any of his albums. If the singles are anything to go by this will own.

I'm going on a pair of flights to Europe tomorrow night and I'm pretty stoked to have a new album and a 14 minute B-side to listen to :hellyeah:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Album’s out for real now. Call the Police and Emotional Haircut are easily the best tracks on it, but the rest? Eh, I’m not a big fan of. It sounds like LCD Soundsystem but without the instant classic status that their songs usually have.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm going to start the ranking wars now: this is a better album than This Is Happening; fight me nerds

how do you sleep? is a loving revelation

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
8.5 on Pitchfork.

Most of the songs on American Dream feel like repeats from previous albums, but I still like it quite a bit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

abraham linksys posted:

I'm going to start the ranking wars now: this is a better album than This Is Happening; fight me nerds

how do you sleep? is a loving revelation
I’d call bullshit on that because This Is Happening had Dance Yrself Clean, which is one of LCD’s top 5 tracks easily and is more consistently great overall.

Although Emotional Haircut might be one of the best LCD tracks, honestly.

I don’t know. I’d have to listen to American Dream again to really rank it fairly.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I think Call the Police is a pretty meh track and that this album is really loving good as a whole. American Dream and How Can You Sleep? are awesome LCD style tracks, easily both in the top ten for me for the band as a whole.

People have different opinions :shobon:

edit: I'm not prepared yet to say it's my favorite album as I've had years to let my appreciation for This is Happening and Sound of Silver solidify, but I could easily see it being up in that running. Also I am pretty certain after a few months that American Dream the song is my favorite they've ever done.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 1, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I’d call bullshit on that because This Is Happening had Dance Yrself Clean, which is one of LCD’s top 5 tracks easily and is more consistently great overall.

Although Emotional Haircut might be one of the best LCD tracks, honestly.

I don’t know. I’d have to listen to American Dream again to really rank it fairly.

relax dude

you always come in later after listening to an album multiple times with a different perspective. or you just have one hot take and you stick to it forever, album just came out, listen to it more

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I can't believe we got a new Talking Heads album in 2017 and it was named american dream.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
At how do you sleep? into tonite, which was a perfect transition for me, I suddenly got teary-eyed because I realized not only had the first half of the album worked perfectly, but the three singles were going to meld into each other, and one of my favorite bands is finally back and they stuck the loving landing

American Dream is currently far and away my AOTY, probably my AOTheLastCoupleY, and I think it is in the competition for best LCD record. Need to give it more time to swim around in my brain, but holy poo poo, this is everything I wanted. Killer grooves, Talking Heads ripoffs, a mid-album centerpiece that has more teeth than any other LCD track in history... it's so loving good.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Yeah I've listened to it a ton since it leaked and I love it.

I don't skip any of the tracks when I play it through. how do you sleep? is one of my favorite songs they've ever made, and the whole thing flows wonderfully, right down to the last song. Definitely might be their best album.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I love the album, but American Dream feels like the natural ending to me.

Emotional Haircut is a really good b-side, and Black Screen is an Oscar-bait ending credits song.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Apparently the only reason Pulse isn't on the album is it wouldn't fit on the vinyl (he wanted it to go after Black Screen).

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Interesting. I haven’t listened to Pulse yet, but that will probably end up making more sense.

Many years ago, I downloaded a copy of This Is Happening that didn’t have Home at the end. I didn’t realize it until I heard a cover of Home, loved it, and found out it was supposed to be the closing track. Somebody’s Calling Me was a real downer of an ending.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm with you guys on how do you sleep? Song is a magnum opus

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Emotional Haircut" is fantastic. The album really is beautiful too. I like it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

relax dude

you always come in later after listening to an album multiple times with a different perspective. or you just have one hot take and you stick to it forever, album just came out, listen to it more
I listened to it again and I’m sticking to my original opinion :( I want to like it more than I do. It’s not terrible or anything, it’s just not all that exciting to me either. I totally see the Talking Heads influence and everything. It just seems like LCD repeating themselves but without the expert craftsmanship.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Also I’m listening to This Is Happening now and there’s no doubt in my mind that this is a better album than American Dream. I mean come on, Dance Yrself Clean? I Can Change? You Wanted A Hit? Pow Pow? These are timeless classics that never get old for me. Call The Police and Emotional Haircut are real good, but I don’t think they’re that good. This Is Happening is so loving consistent in a way that American Dream isn’t.

It feels like a lot of the ideas on American Dream were already fleshed out better on This Is Happening, musically at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think This Is Happening is generally better too, but American Dream has higher highs. That's my lukewarm take.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

I can't believe we got a new Talking Heads album in 2017 and it was named american dream.

Not quite IMO. Eno is the more consistent thread throughout the album, with clear flavors of Talking Heads, Fripp, and especially Bowie. Not surprising given how much Murphy has name dropped these artists in recent interviews, Bowie in particular.

Listened once so far, and dug it. Will need more time with it. it's definitely not as catchy as previous LCD records, which isn't necessarily a bad thing -- they def needed to go in a new direction after achieving pretty much perfection in their dancey, poppy, punky electro style through their first 3 albums. This is a little more down tempo, a little more of a Berlin Trilogy moment so to speak.

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 2, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
the bowie references on this thing feel very much like Low to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/903843946551324673

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tonite grew on me an insane amount.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I initially liked tonight more than the first two singles, but it has grown on me even more this week. It’s my favorite track on the album and is also the closest track to pre-breakup LCD vibes.

Pulse (v.1) is pretty good, albeit unfinished. I wonder if it’ll be expanded like the DFA Compilation #2 versions of Yeah. I would like it more if they added some nonsensical lyrics or a Nancy rap or something.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
Enjoying every track. Good poo poo.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

TELL 'EM NANCY

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I liked Other Voices better when it was on their last album.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
New album revelations:

Black Screen was supposed to have a spoken word segment at the end. James tried to get Lou Reed, but Lou died. He then tried to get Leonard Cohen, but Cohen died shortly after James thought to call him.

James gave up on the idea.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
*nods head emotionally*

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Old dudes die, people are shocked, news at 11

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Know Such Peace posted:

New album revelations:

Black Screen was supposed to have a spoken word segment at the end. James tried to get Lou Reed, but Lou died. He then tried to get Leonard Cohen, but Cohen died shortly after James thought to call him.

James gave up on the idea.

couldn't he just get some guy from a rest home or whatever

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Goddamn I love this album. Listened to it so many times over. Oh Baby fuckin' rules

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
It is extremely good and I can't wait to see them in just over a month.

Sadness: they have yet to play how do you sleep? live :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I enjoy this album, but Other Voices is just Pow Pow again.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I enjoy this album, but Other Voices is just Pow Pow again.

I mean yeah.

But then again every LCD album is basically a copy of some song.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Man from the setlists they really like I Used To. Wish I could say the same.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

angrygodofjebus posted:

It is extremely good and I can't wait to see them in just over a month.

Sadness: they have yet to play how do you sleep? live :(

I don't have the quote handy, but I remember Murphy saying they were intentionally waiting a few months before playing that one live. They should start by the end of this year.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Other Voices feels like Pow Pow but James is purposely doing a David Byrne impression this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Know Such Peace posted:

I don't have the quote handy, but I remember Murphy saying they were intentionally waiting a few months before playing that one live. They should start by the end of this year.

Yup, this article mentioned it: http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/qa-james-murphy-lcd-soundsystems-american-dream-just-stopped-giving-poo poo-101387/2#2JRX80zoM4RYPqWb.99

• Locked thread