Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lord Lambeth posted:

Haven't played God Hand but apparently yes!

mods please change name to "level DIE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

The PS2 had analog buttons - harder presses registered differently to softer presses, either accelerating quicker by holding X harder in driving games or the infamous dungeon in Star Ocean 3 where you needed to play four tunes with the circle button on a flute - either Hard Tap, Soft Tap, Hard Hold and Soft Hold. It was super finicky although some games used it well, but not many games told you about it.

The DS3 and Sixaxis did as well though no PS3 game ever really used it since driving games moved to the triggers instead, it was mostly for PS2 compatibility (great for emulation though). I never really had an issues with this because instead of trying to regulate your pressure, most games just had hard vs soft press which meant either pressing the centre of the button or the edge.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flatluigi posted:

Click through for an entire thread on cool little hidden mechanics in games to make for better feel:

https://twitter.com/Gaohmee/status/903510060197744640

If anyone can find a twitter moment or something collecting all of these that'd be awesome, but I couldn't find one on a brief look.

This one needs to be in basically any 3rd person brawler/hack 'n' slash. How many times have you as a player killed an enemy that has a sliver of health with a really unsatisfying weak attack or the beginning of a combo? How many times has the enemy died and your character keeps attacking, making the moment of death either feel weak and unexpected or makes you look foolish (or both!).

https://twitter.com/DuncanCorrigan/status/903973678387314688

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just gave Nier Automata another go and actually beat the first boss. I liked the design of the completed Goliath, it was impressive. And the aftermath with 9s and 2b clinking their blackboxes like wine glasses to set off the reaction was really cute.. That's as far as I've gotten, I'm just glad I've been able to save finally.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

I haven't played Blacklist, but was there any reason why they just didn't give him a mentor/supporting role in the game? They could have introduced a younger protagonist, called him "Fisher" as a codename and have Sam sitting on the sidelines. He could have been the adviser who always pushes for a stealthy approach.

IIRC, Ironside objected to a lot of the game's themes and felt his Sam Fisher wouldn't do a lot of what the game had him doing. For example, it was clear in Chaos Theory that Fisher is anti-torture yet Blacklist has a fair number of scenes of bad guys being tortured by Sam and allies as part of their interrogation.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

IIRC, Ironside objected to a lot of the game's themes and felt his Sam Fisher wouldn't do a lot of what the game had him doing. For example, it was clear in Chaos Theory that Fisher is anti-torture yet Blacklist has a fair number of scenes of bad guys being tortured by Sam and allies as part of their interrogation.

Yeah, it's... very much a different character in Blacklist. He used to have a pretty sardonic and slightly cynical streak in the earlier games, whereas Blacklist Fisher is pretty straightforward and gung-ho. Also he kind of appears and acts like somebody about 20 years younger than the near-retirement Sam Fisher of Conviction.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Lord Lambeth posted:

Haven't played God Hand but apparently yes!

Changing levels also had sounds that were a lot of fun. Do a perfect combo that segues into a Fist Of the North Star QTE, and a crowd cheers as the level goes up. Some barrel-dude plays your head like a bongo and the crowd is disappointed and it goes down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's... very much a different character in Blacklist. He used to have a pretty sardonic and slightly cynical streak in the earlier games, whereas Blacklist Fisher is pretty straightforward and gung-ho. Also he kind of appears and acts like somebody about 20 years younger than the near-retirement Sam Fisher of Conviction.

Which was weird because the game made it clear that everything from the previous games still happened.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Which was weird because the game made it clear that everything from the previous games still happened.

NANOMACHINES

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Except Megiddo, the shadowy Illuminati-style organization from Conviction that secretly controls all world events from behind the scenes, that never gets mentioned again.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
conviction is where the series tried to crib from 24 and mission:impossible style plots. grim and sam lose the friendly rapport they always had in the series and now they're like begrudged partners.

the reason sam fisher was chiller in the earlier games was because he was basically a guy working his job. it wasn't personal, and even in chaos theory it only started getting personal when he learned his friend was behind the plot.

post-double agent every motivation they've written for fisher was a guy obsessed with revenge, which is a very cheap source of motivation.

also the pacing of the stories in the earlier games were slower burns. the early missions eased you into the plot and the later missions would amp up the action. later games try to keep the story's pace at like breakneck speed to feel like a tv thriller.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Considering the response to Raiden in MGS2 they may have wanted to avoid comparisons. People rarely take well to a beloved character getting unceremoniously replaced, regardless of how good the replacement may or may not be.

i remember syphon filter tried their hand at doing that kinda thing. gabe would be in charge of a unit and you played a rookie soldier under his command.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

BioEnchanted posted:

Just gave Nier Automata another go and actually beat the first boss. I liked the design of the completed Goliath, it was impressive. And the aftermath with 9s and 2b clinking their blackboxes like wine glasses to set off the reaction was really cute.. That's as far as I've gotten, I'm just glad I've been able to save finally.

I'm looking forward to your inevitable 10k word post on some detail that I ran right past.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, I finally managed to get past the funhouse of illusion in Ace LIghtning.

I just wanted to let you know that somebody got that. (Cue posts about the Friends game.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Z, O, and I keys on the Switch Enter Code menu are grayed out to avoid confusion whenever you're inputting codes which I think is very considerate of them

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

The Z, O, and I keys on the Switch Enter Code menu are grayed out to avoid confusion whenever you're inputting codes which I think is very considerate of them

Not gonna lie, thats pretty loving brilliant.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

BioEnchanted posted:

The PS2 had analog buttons - harder presses registered differently to softer presses, either accelerating quicker by holding X harder in driving games or the infamous dungeon in Star Ocean 3 where you needed to play four tunes with the circle button on a flute - either Hard Tap, Soft Tap, Hard Hold and Soft Hold. It was super finicky although some games used it well, but not many games told you about it.

Silent Hill 2 used it for the combat, which definitely did not help the series' (completely deserved) reputation for lovely combat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Nier Automata I've just completed the first two quests for the two merchants. I like the Item Merchant's Ship of Theseus worry, and the Strange Woman, with her mask I can only see as a tongue-in-cheek self insert for Taro Yoko, there to press upon the player "There is no autosave! NO AUTOSAVE! Save in the white fields, don't blame me if you haven't saved because I warned you!"

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow I just thought it was psychological when I was playing racing games. But I can believe that because it definitely felt like pressing down did something.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Turok 2

Never noticed this in all the years I've played this game--just noticed it while going through the Remaster again. To reach the final boss, you have to collect boss keys in each of the six worlds. Usually this involved getting a world's special ability and using the ability plate to get said slightly out of reach keys. The final level is a bit different: the last boss key is sitting in the main lobby of the entrance to the boss's space ship--only it's trapped behind a force field. To get the key you need to activate four switches throughout the level. (If you're unfamiliar, levels in Turok 2 are massive loving labyrinthine sprawls). Each of these switches are out of the way and require the special abilities, so your first run through the stage you won't be able to access all the switches--there's a lot of backtracking in Turok 2.

Now, the Primagen's Lightship (final level) was always a bit of a hassle for me because I'd inevitably find 3 of the 4 switches and have to spend for loving ever wandering through the halls of this loving sci-fi nightmare to find the last one so I could fight the last boss. Only recently did I realize that there's only one switch per sector (four switches = four sectors, obvious). Furthermore, I never realized that the force field lights themselves indicated where the remaining switches were. This finally clicked and I breezed through locating the switches.

For reference, this is the key behind the force field:

It's the green metal bits sticking out at the bottom. They each point to a sector and go dark when you've found the key and switched it off.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

While he plays a lot of villains in TV and movies Ironside is a pacifist in real life. So he really wasn't happy that Conviction turned the series into more of a shooter.

Oh, no one explained to him that Sam Fisher is actually the villain of the Splinter Cell series?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Caufman posted:

Oh, no one explained to him that Sam Fisher is actually the villain of the Splinter Cell series?

That certainly explains why the grunts in Conviction were so eager to get him!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqkSBO2ZSGs

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm loving how ridiculously overpowered Lara gets in Rise of the Tomb Raider. With the triple lock headshot skill she can take out a roomful of enemies in about 10 seconds.

And that's not even mentioned the various explosives, poisons, firebombs that she's practically got an inexhaustible amount of.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Except Megiddo, the shadowy Illuminati-style organization from Conviction that secretly controls all world events from behind the scenes, that never gets mentioned again.

Sounds like they managed to do their job for once.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved the second boss in Nier Automata, in the Desert Ruins. I loved the way the soundtrack worked in the army of robots forming the cocoon endlessly repeating "This cannot go on" with the same rhythm of the battle theme, it was pretty cool. I also liked the way he leveled up as the fight progressed until he slightly surpassed your own level and actually got tricky. That was a cool fight.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the second boss in Nier Automata, in the Desert Ruins. I loved the way the soundtrack worked in the army of robots forming the cocoon endlessly repeating "This cannot go on" with the same rhythm of the battle theme, it was pretty cool. I also liked the way he leveled up as the fight progressed until he slightly surpassed your own level and actually got tricky. That was a cool fight.

Yeah, that moment was the one that switched the game from "Huh, this is a pretty cool game, wonder where all the hype comes from" to "Oh, that's where."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I just realised could be an interesting inversion of usual mechanics just came to mind - a game where the DBZ Saiyan methodology comes into play - the more you lose the stronger you get until you finally are able to beat the game - the game would need to be entirely skill based, the high score would be "How low a level can you beat the game at?" Theoretically the game would need to be balanced around being able to beat it at level 1 (so no cheap shots, makes all attacks avoidable that kind of thing), but not expected to on your first go. The game would also need to be short enough to not need save points.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I just realised could be an interesting inversion of usual mechanics just came to mind - a game where the DBZ Saiyan methodology comes into play - the more you lose the stronger you get until you finally are able to beat the game - the game would need to be entirely skill based, the high score would be "How low a level can you beat the game at?" Theoretically the game would need to be balanced around being able to beat it at level 1 (so no cheap shots, makes all attacks avoidable that kind of thing), but not expected to on your first go. The game would also need to be short enough to not need save points.

Like Rogue Legacy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I just realised could be an interesting inversion of usual mechanics just came to mind - a game where the DBZ Saiyan methodology comes into play - the more you lose the stronger you get until you finally are able to beat the game.
That brings to mind the Chicken Knife that first debuted in FFV: the more you ran from battle, the stronger it got, with the potential of surpassing Ragnarok--whereas the Brave Blade started out stronger than Ragnarok, but got significantly weaker with every battle you ran from, even before you obtained it.

The Ultima Weapon in FFVI (Atma Weapon to olds like me) was less forgiving: it dealt more damage when your HP was high (vis-a-vis your max HP), and less when it was low.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm assuming you're playing the game in English, so how the hell do you play through that part and misquote the line "This cannot continue" as "this cannot go on" when it gets chanted literally several hundred times?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I was focusing on winning the fight, the line must have blurred in my head.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BioEnchanted posted:

it's an inversion of the tutorial level in the first Nier, where your character makes a pact of sorts with a book when he is mortally wounded and gains magic and starts leveling up rapdily with each kill.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just done the aftermath of the third boss, about to take the parts back to the resistance camp to forge an alliance with the machine village. I love the fairground and village robots, they're the cutest. I also like that in direct contrast to Nier, because B2 can understand what they are saying from the start she quickly adapts her thinking from the rigid "All robots must die!" that she started out with. I was expecting all the fairground robots to go crazy at some point, not just the opera singer and tank.

As it worked out it was basically an inversion of the Aerie: Taken over by the enemy, claiming to have come to an understanding, but this time the understanding holds firm and B2 has new allies now. Also Pascal and the philosophy robot are the best :3:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

:ohdear:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I guessed something like what you're hinting at, the happiness never lasts long in a Taro Yoko game. Let me enjoy it while it lasts, yeah?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

BioEnchanted posted:

Just done the aftermath of the third boss, about to take the parts back to the resistance camp to forge an alliance with the machine village. I love the fairground and village robots, they're the cutest. I also like that in direct contrast to Nier, because B2 can understand what they are saying from the start she quickly adapts her thinking from the rigid "All robots must die!" that she started out with. I was expecting all the fairground robots to go crazy at some point, not just the opera singer and tank.

As it worked out it was basically an inversion of the Aerie: Taken over by the enemy, claiming to have come to an understanding, but this time the understanding holds firm and B2 has new allies now. Also Pascal and the philosophy robot are the best :3:

Out of curiosity, did you actually attack the tank?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I did, yes. Didn't know not doing that was an option.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I was very wary of taking the nonviolent route at that point but was pleasantly surprised to see that no ill consequences seemed to arise. I should probably fight it at least once just to see if anything special happens though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I figured I should ignore 9S and leave the tank alone to see what would happen. Didn't stop me making the same mistake with one much later adorable enemy though!

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
I had tried being nonviolent in a bunch of situations up until that point, only to have the game force me to fight, so I just assumed it was another violence-mandatory section. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nier Automate just did something annoying to me - I'd just saved the game before triggering the "Problem" The Goliath in the City Ruins as I'd completed a few sidequests and wanted to save my progress. Then I accidentally went the wrong way to the event (I was trying to pick up a sidequest item en route) and it gave me a game over Ending H and the autosave now puts me miles away, before any of my sidequests were completed, so now I'll have to totally redo them. I'll probably just go through the story to the sidequest cut off point, and do them all then to avoid that in future. That seriously sucked.