Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think anyone sincerely believing the Bonx is going to render native 4k @ 60fps is delusional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

But more power = better than. Much confuse!

This seems to be a fairly standard PC gaming argument, yes.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I think anyone sincerely believing the Bonx is going to render native 4k @ 60fps is delusional.
But some games have already been proven to do so, just like some already do on the PS4 Pro :confused:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Akuma posted:

But some games have already been proven to do so, just like some already do on the PS4 Pro :confused:

You know what that person meant.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Shhh, being disingenuous is a time-honored Goon Tradition!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

Ms claims all its own games will be 4k but with visual rejects minecraft, crackdown, sea of thieves, and state of decay 2 in the pipe is probably no big deal.

Im waiting to see what insane bullshit they do to halo 6.
5 has completely bizarre poo poo going on to keep the fps stable, the df video on it was great.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

No, I don't. I mean Phil Spencer has publicly said he doesn't expect all developers to target native 4K. The comment was apropos of nothing; who, exactly, is saying they expect all Bonx games to be native 4K?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Any current gen title that people actually care about is just not going to be able to render native 4k @ 60fps. High-end commercial PC hardware right now can maintain 30fps for the most graphically demanding games at max settings without some serious sleight of hand or downsampling to 1440p. MS has used weasel words to avoid saying exactly what games are going to target 4k 60fps, but you can bet it's not going to be something like Metro or Assassin's Creed, things that people would actually want to see at the highest performance level. Most likely you're either going to get a downsampled 1080p solution for higher framerates, or a locked 30 FPS at 4k target.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
This Wikipedia page seems like a pretty clear list. Most 4K games are hitting 30fps.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_X_Enhanced_games

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Can't believe you guys are willing to pay 4k for an Xbox. They are sold brand new at Walmart for less than 1k.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Is anyone (besides Chris Christie) being lured over from PS4? People buying the Xbonx probably already have a bone and just want the new one. They will buy games on xbone, play them, then continue playing them on xbonx when it comes out and they download their cloud saves.

exquisite tea posted:

I think the main market for the Bonx are current Boners in search of an upgrade and aging PC owners who wanna buy a decent midrange gaming system without dropping $500+ on a super hype graphics card.

I got PS4 and Xbox One both at launch, I've played Xbox One at least 4000% more than I played the Bloodborne & MLB The Show Device so I will be buying an Xbone X One X Special X Project Edition as soon as they are for sale again on Amazon even though my Xbox One Day One Special Xbox Edition can barely play disc games since it was 90 days old and fucks up every 4 or 5 boot-ups if I leave it on standby and requires a hard reboot so I'm actually kind of hoping to get the fixed revision on Day Two. I missed the pre-sale for the :airquote:collectible:airquote: ones because like some sort of idiot, I was outside doing things when the coveted Project Scorpio Edition Xbox One X went on sale the first time and then I missed the second wave when I was sleeping. I also have a mid-range PC with a high-end video card and a fuckton of RAM (the right ram) that can play everything currently out at highest settings at 59-120fps. I usually use it to play Railroad Tycoon 2 at 780fps or PUBG at 60.

I still have the boxes for my NES, SNES and Genesis in mint condition so plan to use those to retire on in 10 years or so once the entire economy is based on millenial nostalgia envy.

I also am into fast cars, recreational drugs, premium lager, and expensive european women; I hate camping and kids and people who say 'bro' too much so go ahead and file me in your spreadsheets in the '35-50' age tier

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That is all cool and good Ether Frenzy. You do you. The only category I will shunt you in is the "people who already owned an Xbox One previously" category.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I recently bought an Xbox but I also get Xbox Live for $20 a year so it seemed pointless not to get one. I got EA Access too and have been playing Titanfall 2 while I wait for Destiny to come out.

I much prefer the Xbox controller to my PS4 controller. It just feels so much better. I don't play a lot of games though so the exclusives aren't important to me.

I will also be plugging my Xbox controller into my PC when Destiny comes out for that.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

That is all cool and good Ether Frenzy. You do you. The only category I will shunt you in is the "people who already owned an Xbox One previously" category.

If mine wasn't half broken I'd probably skip the Xbonx to be honest.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Daric posted:

I will also be plugging my Xbox controller into my PC when Destiny comes out for that.

Ahh, dev-sanctioned aimbot enabling.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

exquisite tea posted:

High-end commercial PC hardware right now can maintain 30fps for the most graphically demanding games at max settings without some serious sleight of hand or downsampling to 1440p.

Maybe a year ago but there's virtually no PC game that I can't do 4k/at least close to ultra/60+fps with a 1080ti/i7700k.

I'm really struggling for reasons to keep my pre-order, beyond "I want to try it out because I used to love Xbox."

Seeing that the few true wireless headsets are ugly af and $300+ Cdn may be the final straw.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Maybe a year ago but there's virtually no PC game that I can't do 4k/at least close to ultra/60+fps with a 1080ti/i7700k.

I'm really struggling for reasons to keep my pre-order, beyond "I want to try it out because I used to love Xbox."

Seeing that the few true wireless headsets are ugly af and $300+ Cdn may be the final straw.

If you have a gaming PC, and you don't care about playing games in your living room, cancel your preorder. As much as I love the concept Microsoft is going for with xbox, I can't in good conscience buy an xbonx. Every game on the xbonx will either be available in the windows store on PC and be crossplay, or it's a multi-platform and will be on steam or origin or whatever. There's no reason to buy an xbonx unless you have nothing to play games on already and you don't want a playstation.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
An Xbonx is cheaper than gaming PC maintenance. :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A can of compressed air doesn't cost that much

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Akuma posted:

No, I don't. I mean Phil Spencer has publicly said he doesn't expect all developers to target native 4K. The comment was apropos of nothing; who, exactly, is saying they expect all Bonx games to be native 4K?

MS are out there saying "True 4k" at every opportunity because they know it leads to this kind of confusion:

doingitwrong posted:

This Wikipedia page seems like a pretty clear list. Most 4K games are hitting 30fps.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_X_Enhanced_games

That's actually not a clear list at all. Assassin's Creed, for example, is confirmed to be upscaled (checkerboarding) 4k, not native. And that's going to be true for most other "4k" titles on that list as well.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

An Xbonx is cheaper than gaming PC maintenance. :)

And PC doesn't have an Xbox Live fee and offers much cheaper games. Easily evens out.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 4, 2017

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Says on their site specifically that the 4k logo will be native, checkerboard or dynamic:

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/

Either way it's going to best the best place by far to play multiplats this XMAS, if the massive differences in tomb raider is anything to go by. Especially with RDR2 in the horizon as well

Tried moving to PC for my play anywhere games and while all of them perform way better on my 1060, I still find myself going back to the bone for the ease of groups, the LFG system, the easy to use UI, etc. I guess i'm just becoming too casual / lazy

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hanyolo posted:

Says on their site specifically that the 4k logo will be native, checkerboard or dynamic:

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/

I never claimed the opposite? And no one is reading some random blog post on Xbox.com, all customers are seeing is their marketing stressing "True 4K" and "4K Ultra HD". They're obviously banking on confusion.

hanyolo posted:

Tried moving to PC for my play anywhere games and while all of them perform way better on my 1060, I still find myself going back to the bone for the ease of groups, the LFG system, the easy to use UI, etc. I guess i'm just becoming too casual / lazy

Stuff like Discord (or even Steam itself) seems much better at fostering communities to me.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ease of use and Xbox in the same sentence is amazing

Not even mentioning Steam and Discord.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cojawfee posted:

If you have a gaming PC, and you don't care about playing games in your living room, cancel your preorder. As much as I love the concept Microsoft is going for with xbox, I can't in good conscience buy an xbonx. Every game on the xbonx will either be available in the windows store on PC and be crossplay, or it's a multi-platform and will be on steam or origin or whatever. There's no reason to buy an xbonx unless you have nothing to play games on already and you don't want a playstation.

My main problem is I can't play kb/m due to hand pain issues and get absolutely wrecked on PC with a controller. Like my fav game on PS4 was RS Siege and I am just hopeless on PC. Plus of course people want to kick you if they even notice you're using a controller.

But then Ybarra just said kb/m support is coming to xbox. They keep shooting themselves in the foot with stuff like this and Play Anywhere.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hanyolo posted:

the massive differences in tomb raider

You mean like how the 20-year celebration edition on PS4 costs less than on Xbox One and has more content due to the added VR mode?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The only thing more sad than the decline of xbox is the state of VR.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cutting edge games hitting 60fps @ 4k max settings just wasn't possible on any commercial card before the 1080ti, which is less than six months old and is an $800 piece of hardware. At which point you have to ask yourself, why am I even thinking about buying a Bonx.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fame Douglas posted:

And PC doesn't have an Xbox Live fee and offers much cheaper games. Easily evens out.

Nah. I factored that in.

Using shady third-party resellers isn't something to be proud of, by the way. Xbone games go on pretty good sale sale all the time, the secret is owning an Xbox and looking at the week's sales. :)

exquisite tea posted:

Cutting edge games hitting 60fps @ 4k max settings just wasn't possible on any commercial card before the 1080ti, which is less than six months old and is an $800 piece of hardware. At which point you have to ask yourself, why am I even thinking about buying a Bonx.

A brain full of soft, weak, hu-mon things, not glorious maths?

Fame Douglas posted:

Stuff like Discord (or even Steam itself) seems much better at fostering communities to me.

I dunno, that seems like a lot of extra work to connect to communities that don't like the way I play my video games. I mean, I already paid the :10bux: to post here, that's more than enough abuse for me...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

exquisite tea posted:

At which point you have to ask yourself, why am I even thinking about buying a Bonx.

I am asking myself that. Repeatedly.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mafia 3 is on sale for $25 while on steam its on sale for $20.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My main problem is I can't play kb/m due to hand pain issues and get absolutely wrecked on PC with a controller. Like my fav game on PS4 was RS Siege and I am just hopeless on PC. Plus of course people want to kick you if they even notice you're using a controller.

But then Ybarra just said kb/m support is coming to xbox. They keep shooting themselves in the foot with stuff like this and Play Anywhere.

Why not just continue to play it on PS4?

RBX posted:

Mafia 3 is on sale for $25 while on steam its on sale for $20.

Target has the game with all DLC on sale for $20 as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The best place to play big holiday multiplats is on the free beta weekend for laughs and then never again (cause they suck)

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

limaCAT posted:

post/name combo?

niggerstomper58

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

veni veni veni posted:

Target has the game with all DLC on sale for $20 as well.

Really? Where at? I only see the game itself for sale for 20.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was at a retail store near Denver. The PS4 version was just the regular version and the Xbone was the GOTY version or whatever it's called, so it's possible a clerk just put the wrong version on the shelf. Maybe I should take advantage of that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Why not just continue to play it on PS4?

The PC version is superior, obviously, and furthermore

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mafia 3 sucks, terrible game unless you're way into grinding repetitive missions. The only thing the game has going for it are cool cutscenes and a selection of golden oldies everyone has heard a hundred times.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I just posted that as an example for consoles terrible
rip off digital pricing that for some reason people keep defending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Mafia 3 sucks, terrible game unless you're way into grinding repetitive missions. The only thing the game has going for it are cool cutscenes and a selection of golden oldies everyone has heard a hundred times.

So many people have said that, which is why I passed on it even at $20 for everything. Shame because it looks good. It's super low on my bucket list because of all the complaints. By the time I'd actually get around to playing it, it will have been on sale for $5.

For the record Mad Max was dragged down from like an 8/10 to a 1/10 for me because of the grindy bullshit so I should probably just steer clear of mafia all together.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 5, 2017