Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

hotsauce posted:

TCL P series. I have one and it's fabulous.

TCL 55P607 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/

Does yours have noticeable Dirty Screen Effect? I watch enough sports where I'm afraid this would bug me, but that's literally the only thing keeping me from getting this TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
FYI the P Series is down to $600 today.

http://deals.kinja.com/this-tcl-55-p-series-tv-deal-will-make-you-want-to-do-1798530281

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

General E posted:

Does yours have noticeable Dirty Screen Effect? I watch enough sports where I'm afraid this would bug me, but that's literally the only thing keeping me from getting this TV?

Had to google it...I don't know..no I guess? The black level is legit oled like, so I guess not. I don't have solid grey/colors on it for hours, so maybe I don't see any dirty screen effect because I'm not hunting for it.

I'm real happy with it. For $599, I don't feel the need to grab a microscope and inspect everything about it. It has a fantastic, bright picture and the Roku interface is really good.

Works for me.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Had to google it...I don't know..no I guess? The black level is legit oled like, so I guess not. I don't have solid grey/colors on it for hours, so maybe I don't see any dirty screen effect because I'm not hunting for it.

I'm real happy with it. For $599, I don't feel the need to grab a microscope and inspect everything about it. It has a fantastic, bright picture and the Roku interface is really good.

Works for me.

Nice to hear. I'd seen the complaint from people watching sports (where courts / fields are a fairly uniform color and static), but for that price I'm willing to roll the dice, especially if it isn't super apparent on every TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Finally got my super budget TV to compliment the OLED. A $229 43" Toshiba from Best Buy on sale. Looks to be a unique model code so it couldn't be price matched, but you know what it really isn't a bad bit of kit. Next to no features but does have Chromecast built in that works well with plex, and all I needed is the ability to display a picture that isn't gross from HDMI. Surprisingly happy with the purchase. Made me laugh it weighs about 1/4 of the OLED, but no surprise there.

Now I can watch the super bowl from a hot tub. The future is great!

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I'm about to go to Best Buy. What's the goon consensus on this LG

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/5792903.p?skuId=5792903

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Spend the extra $100 and get the Vizio M65-E0.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Whoops I spent a extra 800 buck and got a Sony XBR900E

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

To save you from pulling your hair out - to kill the "Samba Interactive Television" prompt, enter the setup, then tell it to gently caress/disable itself - twice. It literally asks you if you're *sure* that you want to disable what's effectively a piece of adware. Twice. But only if you bend over and *almost* let it gently caress you. Honestly, if you've got an XB1, PS4, or Fire/Roku box, it almost pays to "de-smart" a Sony set and just allow it on the internet whenever it's time to download new firmware - and even that can be done via a manual download from the Sony site and uploaded via USB drive.

The Youtube video done by that British Vietnamese guy on how to disable it didn't work for me. Also, his directions to limit the set to a maximum of four processes only in developer mode has caused my 930E to crash on me and revert that change.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 4, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Bought a 49" TCL S405 on a whim because Best Buy had it on sale for $360.

1. It won't do HDMI 2.0 unless you explicitly tell it to, but it will still claim 4K60 capability in 1.4 mode which just displays purple and green garbage if you attempt to use it.
2. It really doesn't like Displayport -> HDMI converters
3. Text has weird pixel artifacts even when I confirmed it was running in 4:4:4 mode.
4. Solid colors like the forums' grey backgrounds had a checkerboard dithering look.]
5. HDR mode from a PC is broken as hell, but I hear that's pretty much across the board.
6. Even though 49" 4K is basically the same DPI as my usual 24" 1080p monitor somehow the pixels on stood out badly.

Contrary to RTings' decent rating I think this is a pretty terrible PC monitor. Also I think any 49" would be too large for reasonable desktop use, at least not without an aggressive curve.

The ability to send audio from Netflix or Amazon content to my phone and thus headphones is pretty awesome and has earned this thing a second chance as a bedroom TV, but if it doesn't impress me there it'll be going back to the store.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It sounds like your requirements outweigh a TV in the $300 range, to be honest. When my budget is around that for something bigger than 40" or so, my needs are basically 'can it display an image that doesn't make my eyes bleed and fill me with hatred when I look at it'.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EL BROMANCE posted:

It sounds like your requirements outweigh a TV in the $300 range, to be honest. When my budget is around that for something bigger than 40" or so, my needs are basically 'can it display an image that doesn't make my eyes bleed and fill me with hatred when I look at it'.

I'm not really complaining, just throwing out my thoughts. It was just a random buy because I had nothing better to do and felt like trying my luck. The decent rating on RTings for PC use caught me by surprise at the price so I figured why not give it a shot.

It's honestly not bad at all as a TV, just definitely not a good choice for PC use.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Goondolences.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bill Barber posted:

Goondolences.

Not at all, the X900E is one of this thread's recommended TVs. It just can be hard to justify the price compared to the budget options.

For a refresher, from least to most expensive. This is the 'goon list'.

TCL P605/7 (55" only)
Vizio 2017 M Series (really only if you want 65" since the TCL isn't in that size)
Sony X900E
Sony X930E
LG OLED

Otherwise, if you want the cheapest at pretty much any size point without getting garbage, buy a Vizio E series.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So of course only days after getting the outdoor TV mounted, im about to be hit by a hurricane.

Looking at the sides, I see two thumb screw kind of things... I presume these tend to work on a 'loosen the screws and lift the TV off' basis so I can store it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EL BROMANCE posted:

So of course only days after getting the outdoor TV mounted, im about to be hit by a hurricane.

Looking at the sides, I see two thumb screw kind of things... I presume these tend to work on a 'loosen the screws and lift the TV off' basis so I can store it?

Just wrap it in a tarp

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

EL BROMANCE posted:

It varies, but yes usually there is a screw or screws that secure the tv to the mount although gravity does most of the work

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
I'm thinking about getting a new TV, but I have an unusual combination of different features I need this TV to have. (Very low input lag, can be controlled via serial or IP, has variable audio out, no ads, and a few other things.)

I've been doing a lot of research and making heavy use of the various online input lag databases to find TVs that work for me. But most of them are models from 2013-2015 and I don't think I can purchase them any longer.

Is there any place, website, or whatever that lets people buy specific TV models that are a few years old? My usual go-to place for that sort of thing -- ebay -- doesn't work, as almost no one sells TVs on it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Heads up, XboneS are popping up for $199 again and work fine as a 4k BluRay player as long as you don't want to watch Lucy:

And trip report, I've been using http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/ for a few months to rent 4k movies similar to how Gamefly/Netflix DVD work, and it's pretty decent, would recommend. The selection isn't amazing and it's not as fluid a system as Gamefly, but I like the price ($9/mo for 2 movies a month) and have been happy with the service.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So it's been a few weeks and I loving love my LG OLED. HDR performance is fantastic, input lag is fine for games and it does a great job with older content too. I paid a fair amount for it so I've been looking for flaws to gripe about but its pretty damned amazing. No issues with IR or burn in despite playing a lot of static HUD games on it. It was a big wallet hit but worth every penny.

I use a receiver and a Shield so I don't actually use WebOS much but it seems pretty great compared to the Panasonic and Samsung smart TV interfaces I remember.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Looking to upgrade to 4k early next year once we move and wanted to know what people here thought of the Vizio M Series 65" https://www.vizio.com/tvs/m65e0.html

I saw it mentioned earlier on this page as a better option than one TV, but features wise it seems to be the best thing in that price range. I was hoping TCL would release the 65" version of their highly rated 55" out now, but they appear to have scrapped those plans. It will be in a family room and used for general TV/Movies/Video Gaming.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I ended up splurging for a 65" LG C7P last Thursday, upgrading from the 9 year old 37" Vizio.

It's beautiful.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Radioactive Toy posted:

I ended up splurging for a 65" LG C7P last Thursday, upgrading from the 9 year old 37" Vizio.

It's beautiful.
Mine arrived last Thursday as well :hfive:. It really is amazing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Gunslinger posted:

So it's been a few weeks and I loving love my LG OLED. HDR performance is fantastic, input lag is fine for games and it does a great job with older content too. I paid a fair amount for it so I've been looking for flaws to gripe about but its pretty damned amazing. No issues with IR or burn in despite playing a lot of static HUD games on it. It was a big wallet hit but worth every penny.

I use a receiver and a Shield so I don't actually use WebOS much but it seems pretty great compared to the Panasonic and Samsung smart TV interfaces I remember.

If you arn't using the built in netflix app you are missing out on dolby vision.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Ouhei posted:

Looking to upgrade to 4k early next year once we move and wanted to know what people here thought of the Vizio M Series 65" https://www.vizio.com/tvs/m65e0.html

I saw it mentioned earlier on this page as a better option than one TV, but features wise it seems to be the best thing in that price range. I was hoping TCL would release the 65" version of their highly rated 55" out now, but they appear to have scrapped those plans. It will be in a family room and used for general TV/Movies/Video Gaming.

I have it, it's great. takes a bit to get the settings perfected, but worth the effort. 4k hdr content on it is jaw dropping. It doesn't have much in the way of streaming apps natively still, but you can stream most anything from your phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

If you arn't using the built in netflix app you are missing out on dolby vision.

And proper fame cadence.

I like my ShieldTV, but always use the built in apps if available for the service, the experience is better.

As a side note, I can't believe I've had my OLED for a year. I also can't believe there's not a single TV at 65" that I would rather have a year later.

I have an appointment on the 16th for Verizon to replace my ONT as I have to believe at this point it's hosed because image quality on FiOS as gotten so bad. With this TV, I just can't go from Netflix or Amazon back to cable, it's like going back to SD. I'm hoping against hope the my service has a problem rather than "this is the way it it's" with cable now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 7, 2017

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Scipiotik posted:

I have it, it's great. takes a bit to get the settings perfected, but worth the effort. 4k hdr content on it is jaw dropping. It doesn't have much in the way of streaming apps natively still, but you can stream most anything from your phone.

Sweet! The plan is to basically run everything through the upcoming 4k apple tv (assuming it's out by then) so I'm not too worried about apps. Hell I'd buy a decently specced dumb 4k TV but no one makes those.

Edit: Wait, am I reading it right that there's only 1 HDMI 2.0 port? So you can't do HDR stuff from more than one source?

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 7, 2017

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Yes, that is correct.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BTW, if you have a spinney disc player and a UHD TV (especially OLED), go purchase Blade Runner right this very moment. Such an amazing 4k HDR treatment of a catalog title. Early reviews of ET are saying it's nearly on Blade Runner level as well. I'm so excited for proper remasters of catalog titles in UHD and I'm beyond jazzed that they are finally coming out.

Already have ET, Close Encounters, and T2 preordered! I just saw T2 theatrically last night and it looked incredible.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 7, 2017

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Scipiotik posted:

Yes, that is correct.

That is super lame, I guess I'll have to go up to the P series, or something from another company. Was eyeing this LG: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4TQ7O4/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2CA0JNYX5D3DV&colid=3JD2LYX5K9FJ

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

BTW, if you have a spinney disc player and a UHD TV (especially OLED), go purchase Blade Runner right this very moment. Such an amazing 4k HDR treatment of a catalog title. Early reviews of ET are saying it's nearly on Blade Runner level as well. I'm so excited for proper remasters of catalog titles in UHD and I'm beyond jazzed that they are finally coming out.

Already have ET, Close Encounters, and T2 preordered! I just saw T2 theatrically last night and it looked incredible.

TBF you will be asleep for most of that boring movie so you want notice all the UHD poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Heresy!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm hoping the insane price of Blade Runner drops soon. I know it's got a bunch of discs but ugh I've already got them all.

The T2 disc was like $17 preorder on Amazon so that got snapped up.

Just evac'd the house. Security camera is pointed at the OLED. You mess with my drat TV Irma, and I'm coming back down the i95 and fuckin sorting you out myself.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm hoping the insane price of Blade Runner drops soon. I know it's got a bunch of discs but ugh I've already got them all.

The T2 disc was like $17 preorder on Amazon so that got snapped up.

Just evac'd the house. Security camera is pointed at the OLED. You mess with my drat TV Irma, and I'm coming back down the i95 and fuckin sorting you out myself.
Goonspeed.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bull3964 posted:

I watched some of blade runner yesterday and it is baffling how they got it to look so good. The shots of the buildings, jesus. I read somewhere they shot those in 65mm so maybe that’s why they look so good?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was shot in both 35mm and 65mm. The mind blowing thing is that this is a 2007 transfer, it wasn't remastered for UHD, it just got an HDR color grade.

When they made the Final Cut in 2007, the scanned the 35mm footage at 4k and the 65mm footage at 8k and stuck a brand new 4k digital intermediate from it (which they then used to create a new 35mm print for archival storage.) That DI is what was used for the UHD.

Warner did this will a lot of their "prestige" films around the same time as a preservation effort. They scanned Ben Hur at 8k and did a 6k DI for it. I think they may have done something similar for 2001.

65mm and 70mm films of that era are a great candidate for UHD, there's so much extra detail to uncover.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If only Debbie Does Dallas was filmed in 35mm.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

bull3964 posted:

It was shot in both 35mm and 65mm. The mind blowing thing is that this is a 2007 transfer, it wasn't remastered for UHD, it just got an HDR color grade.

When they made the Final Cut in 2007, the scanned the 35mm footage at 4k and the 65mm footage at 8k and stuck a brand new 4k digital intermediate from it (which they then used to create a new 35mm print for archival storage.) That DI is what was used for the UHD.

Warner did this will a lot of their "prestige" films around the same time as a preservation effort. They scanned Ben Hur at 8k and did a 6k DI for it. I think they may have done something similar for 2001.

65mm and 70mm films of that era are a great candidate for UHD, there's so much extra detail to uncover.

Yeah I think the exterior stuff was 65mm. I didn’t even know this wasn’t a new scan. They were smart to plan ahead because it really looks great. Noticeably better than the blu ray. Hopefully all the catalog stuff turns out so well.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Hopefully Tarantino releases the roadshow cut of Hateful Eight on UHD before the heat death of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Local reputable store had the best price I've seen yet in Canada for the B7P, thinking I will pick one up today in 55".

Even had the wife looking at it and the x900e and she said the b7p looked a lot better so it was an easy sell. The contrast with letterbox movie black bars, there is no comparison even with a nice LED lit tv like the sony. For the same size it is a $200 difference so it's a no brainer.